Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Favorite Games In The Genre

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Favorite Games In The Genre Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 1/30/2007 3:30:59 PM   
timtellean1

Gary announced a release date and time. Its 9pm est. Today!!  www.wolverinestudios.com

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 31
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 1/30/2007 5:10:03 PM   
sposfan

Bad news about EHM. They released the patch today, but announced that this would be the last version.

From the EHM forums:

Well, there's good news, bad news, then some good news again. So....

The first bit of good news, is that we are happy to announce and make available the final patch for Eastside Hockey Manager 2007. This includes lots of little improvements and bug fixes, and you can find the patch http://www.sigames.com/news.php?type=view&article_id=1260. We hope that this will increase the longevity and enjoyability (ooh, new made up word) for the release of the game.

Now onto the bad news. As you know, the last Eastside release was via digital download. At the time, people complained about this as a distribution method, but it was the only one open to us - the first version of Eastside did very well in Scandinavia, pretty well in Europe and just about OK in the US & Canada. The second also did just about OK in the US and Canada, just about OK in Europe, but despite great review scores and decent pre-orders, the sales in Scandinavia, that had pretty much kept the game going, dropped heavily, from our analysis of the situation, mainly due to the game getting hacked before release, and pirated. Because of this, a retail release wasn't worthwhile with the pre-orders that we were going to get from retail, so we thought we'd go digi download, and encourage people to buy that way, whilst having a lower break even point due to retail not taking their cut.

So the game came out to glowing reviews, and decent online pre-orders, and we sat and waited to see the numbers going up and up. The forums were full of people constructively criticising, and praising (just the way we like it) and we were all pretty buoyant. We had more licenses than any other hockey game in history, it was the best Hockey management game in the history of gaming ever, and Riz and his team had done an amazing job. So, despite Hockey being a bit less popular post the hiatus of the sport in the US in 2004, we still couldn't fail, right?

Wrong. The orders came in a drizzle, rather than a flood. We scratched our heads trying to work out what had gone wrong. And then someone pointed out that the game was being pirated, and was available as a torrent from lots of different pirating sites. Then sat there and watched as the claimed amount of downloads on those sites went up and up, as sales stayed static.

Basically, the game did not bring in enough money to cover the development costs, let alone the license fees on top of that. So we've had to make the decision to stop development on the game for now - it doesn't mean that it'll never come back, but for the foreseeable future, there will not be another version of Eastside Hockey Manager.

The good news is that the amazing talented people on the Eastside team have all decided to stay with Sports Interactive. Riz, Ed & Phil are going to be working on Football Manager moving forward, and Graeme has joined our R&D department to work on developing a new idea forward, which we'll be announcing later in the year.

Thank you to all of you out there who supported the Eastside Hockey Manager project by buying the game, and especially those who helped with testing and research. And to those of you who pirated it, this is what happens when you steal. There are no excuses you can give that are valid for stealing - you have lead to the demise of a game that you enjoyed playing.

(in reply to timtellean1)
Post #: 32
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/1/2007 11:17:43 AM   
dp68

My favorite genre games are Puresim 2007, OOTP 6.5, Worldwide Soccer Manager, Total Extreme Wrestling 2007, and Bowl Bound.

I still find myself booting up Front Page Sports Baseball 98 often. Yeah there were a few serious bugs which never got fixed (like the pitcher never flipping the ball to first base on a slow grounder). And the PB.INI file required massive edits, and even then the stats were never going to work out that great. But the game was incredibly awesome. Between the serious sim play, the management options, and the addicting graphical depiction of every play complete with physics simulation, this was the greatest computer baseball game of all time with the possible exception of Earl Weaver.

I am amazed, and very frustrated, that it has been a decade since FPS Baseball was last released and there is still nothing like it on the market.

< Message edited by dp68 -- 2/1/2007 11:29:39 AM >

(in reply to PadresFan104)
Post #: 33
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/2/2007 6:48:30 PM   
robpost3

Yeah I just got EHM a week ago! I simply love it...
bloody pirates, thanks for killing off a great game.
I was swinging on the fence back this summer with OOTP and Pure Sim. I bought Pure Sim loved but with the end of upgrading I just purchased OOTP 6 and I am having a blast.
I will definatly be upgrading to OOTP 7.
All in all EHM is really polished so I see myself playing that for a long time to come.

< Message edited by robpost3 -- 2/2/2007 7:01:21 PM >

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

(in reply to sposfan)
Post #: 34
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/3/2007 7:07:02 AM   
dp68

When you say OOTP6, are you referring to 2006 or the original OOTP6? If the latter, add in the 6.5 expansion pack as it adds a lot to the experience.

I tried out OOTP 2006 and was not happy with it. I may give 2007 a trial run next month, but honestly I remain quite happy with 6.5.

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 35
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/3/2007 9:51:13 AM   
robpost3

I am having e license probs loading 6.5 it wont recognize my licsensed version and I am still waiting to here from support

The Yankee Motto:
Use it up,
Wear it out,
Make do,
Or do without.
"God Help us, and God, come yourself.
Don't send Jesus, this is no place for children."

(in reply to dp68)
Post #: 36
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/3/2007 6:05:35 PM   
Crimguy

You guys are confusing me.  I looked at the OOTP2006 site and it looks the same as the OOTP 6.5 site.  What's the diff?

(in reply to robpost3)
Post #: 37
RE: Favorite Games In The Genre - 2/4/2007 7:27:15 AM   
orton1227

Go here:  ootpbaseball.net

(in reply to Crimguy)
Post #: 38
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Favorite Games In The Genre Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI