Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: USS Panay

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: USS Panay Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: USS Panay - 1/27/2007 5:45:36 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

And, PG-45 Panay.

Bye...

Michael Wood

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 91
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 5:53:13 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Great. Was just afraid that folks might be having trouble finding pictures of gunboats, based on side view of Asheville, shown in this thread. Always had a soft spot in my heart for them.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big B

Just for the record, I already did a ship side for the Isabel in WWII - she didn't look like that by then - I'll find it and turn it in.

B

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 92
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 6:20:40 AM   
JWE

BTW Mike, would you like them with varnished teak on the deckhouse?

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 93
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 6:38:00 AM   
JWE

Acyualy Mike, the problem is an inconsistency in the wpcxxx.dat files. The Asheville is in slot #297 and the the bit map pointer points to bm #323 which is for the Tacoma DE. There is no bit map #297 in stock, the image that is there is just a placeholder for the Tacoma #323.

re 'your' Asheville, if it's in the database, I'm sure it will appear somewhere in Project 2. Sorry for any apparent confusion.

Since BigB has an Isabel, she should be sailing soon.

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 94
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 6:50:34 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Oh. Sad. I guess that's why it looks like the Tocoma.

Thanks...

Michael Wood

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Acyualy Mike, the problem is an inconsistency in the wpcxxx.dat files. The Asheville is in slot #297 and the the bit map pointer points to bm #323 which is for the Tacoma DE. There is no bit map #297 in stock, the image that is there is just a placeholder for the Tacoma #323.

re 'your' Asheville, if it's in the database, I'm sure it will appear somewhere in Project 2. Sorry for any apparent confusion.

Since BigB has an Isabel, she should be sailing soon.

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 95
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 12:04:25 PM   
Dixie

I have a properly scaled pic of the Asheville ready at home if it's any use.

EDIT**Here's a preview of her, sorry about the poor quality of this one, the 'real' one is better

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dixie -- 1/27/2007 12:41:29 PM >

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 96
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 8:46:07 PM   
TheElf

So far it's Dixie, Beren and myself who are interested in working on the Aircraft art. Is that it?

IN PERPETUUM SINGULARIS SEDES

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 97
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 9:08:03 PM   
Big B

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Wood

Hello...

For future reference, here is the PY-10 Isabel.

Bye...

Michael Wood

Here is a photo of PY 10 Isabel in 1942

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Big B -- 1/29/2007 3:22:34 AM >

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 98
RE: USS Isabel - 1/27/2007 9:13:26 PM   
Terminus

She didn't age gracefully...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Big B)
Post #: 99
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/27/2007 11:43:51 PM   
JSBoomer

Dixie, your destroyers look great! Will they appear on your web page?

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 100
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/28/2007 12:39:11 AM   
JWE

The latest project update: panel 2 is complete; BigB is providing an Isabel. That means only the CL classes and above are left to collect and vote on, and the AlliedShip set is complete.

A note on scaling. Obviously, for the small vessels, 4 feet per pixel is not sufficient for detail. Our small vessels scale to a parabolic that fits to Matrix's lengths within a pixel (bm dot). Advantage is better vertical detailing.

The scale math is # of pixels (dots) p = 0.165(LOA)+45 for LOA < 380' (rule of reason)

The PTs on the panel have the same length (within a pixel) as the Matrix original art.

JWE

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 101
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/28/2007 2:23:57 AM   
Reg

Beautiful......

And it has come together so quickly too!!!

Well done. I'm looking forward to it's release with great expectation.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 102
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/28/2007 6:14:02 AM   
Mike Wood

Hello...

Yea! Works for me! Very nice! Hurry, want to download.

Thanks...

Michael Wood

quote:

The latest project update: panel 2 is complete; BigB is providing an Isabel. That means only the CL classes and above are left to collect and vote on, and the AlliedShip set is complete.

A note on scaling. Obviously, for the small vessels, 4 feet per pixel is not sufficient for detail. Our small vessels scale to a parabolic that fits to Matrix's lengths within a pixel (bm dot). Advantage is better vertical detailing.

The scale math is # of pixels (dots) p = 0.165(LOA)+45 for LOA < 380' (rule of reason)

The PTs on the panel have the same length (within a pixel) as the Matrix original art.

JWE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 103
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/28/2007 7:09:35 AM   
Cathartes

JWE-  Outstanding work!  Jaw on the keyboard.  Look forward to seeing it all in game.

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 104
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/28/2007 1:36:27 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: J Boomer

Dixie, your destroyers look great! Will they appear on your web page?

Yes they will.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 105
RE: USS Panay - 1/28/2007 7:08:03 PM   
undercovergeek

perfect JWE - as a newcomer in the process of upgrading all the artwork from various sources - work has now halted until the final release - great

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 106
RE: USS Panay - 1/28/2007 10:31:33 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

perfect JWE - as a newcomer in the process of upgrading all the artwork from various sources - work has now halted until the final release - great

I thank you very much for that, and so do the rest of the contributors.

This project really isn't anything more than a response to a customer that wanted a complete 'similar look and feel' art set. Because we have to collate and unify a series of about 350 images, we are unable (within the scope of this project) to worry about individual ship upgrades, paint schemes, preferences, and the like. We are tied to a database, and to a basis game system. We're just pouring foundations, or digging footers, as it were.

I still encourage you to look at the wonderful update art work available from the user community.

I know 'soon' don't cut it, but the Allies should be finished 'soon'. Perhaps we could devise a release schedule for Allies, then the Japanese sequentially. The bitch here is that the package is HUGE and I do not want to stress our hosts (Spook, the Rogue) with a first pass; second pass; final pass. I will work on this.

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 107
RE: USS Panay - 1/28/2007 11:37:04 PM   
Dixie

quote:

I know 'soon' don't cut it, but the Allies should be finished 'soon'. Perhaps we could devise a release schedule for Allies, then the Japanese sequentially. The bitch here is that the package is HUGE and I do not want to stress our hosts (Spook, the Rogue) with a first pass; second pass; final pass. I will work on this.

Ciao. JWE

I've got space available as well for hosting if it's needed.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 108
RE: USS Panay - 1/28/2007 11:46:50 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

I've got space available as well for hosting if it's needed.

That is a very nice offer Dixie, and given how many alligators are crawling up my leg and screaming for product, I'll take you up on it. As soon as we're done with the Allies, I'll ship them off to you and post the "where u get 'em". Thanks bunches.

JWE

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 109
RE: USS Panay - 1/29/2007 12:12:41 AM   
JSBoomer

Looking forward to it!

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 110
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/29/2007 2:06:43 AM   
Don Bowen

Wow!

Take a couple of day off and you-all go crazy!!!!!!

This is wonderful. Heck, it might even be twoderful.

Don

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 111
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/29/2007 2:23:45 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

JWE

It is truly amazing what JWE is capable of given such a limited number of pixels to work with!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 112
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/29/2007 3:46:59 AM   
JWE

no, no, no. I contribute, collect and unify, but the images are from a collective. I'm just a mouthpiece. The collective also reads the posts, so, on their behalf, I will thank you very much for your appreciation.

JWE

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 113
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/29/2007 4:09:24 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

no, no, no. I contribute, collect and unify, but the images are from a collective. I'm just a mouthpiece. The collective also reads the posts, so, on their behalf, I will thank you very much for your appreciation.

JWE

Oh, I though they were all your art work. I apologize.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 114
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/29/2007 4:18:38 AM   
RevRick

quote:

ORIGINAL: TOMLABEL

I've been watching this thread with great interest and mostly agree with the aspects of scaling art to a certain degree before losing detail. The idea of using the Jonessoft Generic Mod Enabler is by far the best idea to cater to the needs of folks like me who do like the different paint schemes used during the war. I am currently using this utility with Cathartes plane sides and really enjoy the ease of switching between artwork panels. As JWE mentioned, this mod would also be useful in creating subfolders for the different paint schemes of ships used during various time periods of the war. Likewise, the mod could also be used (to some degree) for ship upgrades as well; however, it will be hard for me to completely break away from using a new slot for this. For example, you could have a class of ship that has a noticable structural upgrade in a particular month/year. But, as we know, the actual time the upgrade takes place is dependent on each individual ship in that class depending on when/where the ship docks for the upgrade as well as ship damage levels. Each ship in that particular class could upgrade at different times. I guess this would be up to the users as to what level of accuracy they wish to achieve.

I do also agree with standardized backgrounds for ship sides, but I think it would also be beneficial if each nationality had its own separate backdrop, ie. US, AUS, RN, etc.

On the subject of standardized non-camo colors for ships, I would like to suggest that instead of gray, that a blue color be used - at least for the US Navy. I'm not too well versed on ship color schemes of the other allied navies. US Navy ships were never painted solid gray for any decernable time period during the war. On average, all USN capital ships spent most of their wartime career painted in 5N - Navy Blue. There are few exceptions to this, but I believe this color would be more representative that the color of gray.

Otherwise, I think a standard air side set and ship set (including optional sets for camoflage and upgrades) is a great idea and I'm looking forward to seeing the results of everyone involved.

Count me in as well!

Tom, I like that. My antiquated Mark I mod O standard issue Eyeball likes those too!

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 115
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/29/2007 5:03:22 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

quote:

JWE

Oh, I though they were all your art work. I apologize.

No worries, but people should know this is a collective effort. The collection we have so far includes work from BigB and TomLabel. I expect a couple others to belly up to the bar when we get to Japan. JWE

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 116
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/30/2007 8:08:31 PM   
pad152

How about changing the game to handle aircraft art the same as ships, where each aircaft has it's own *.bmp file and backbround. This way each mod could have it's own aircraft set, and one aircraft could be changed without changing the whole set!

(in reply to Akos Gergely)
Post #: 117
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/31/2007 1:29:07 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Great work guys! Looking forward to the basic set, as well as later packages. I definitely would love to see yearly ship art packages reflecting upgrades. I realize it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but would give some flavor to the game seeing the art slowly change.

Also, I'm a camo fan so hope to see some packages with camo after the 'basic greys' are done.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

(in reply to pad152)
Post #: 118
RE: Gray vs Camo - 1/31/2007 1:50:42 AM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

Great work guys! Looking forward to the basic set, as well as later packages. I definitely would love to see yearly ship art packages reflecting upgrades. I realize it wouldn't be 100% accurate, but would give some flavor to the game seeing the art slowly change.

Also, I'm a camo fan so hope to see some packages with camo after the 'basic greys' are done.

I'm also a fan of camo, I have most of the RN to scale with camo done and hopefully there will be a similar comprehensive package to this one with camo. 'Yearly' updates are sort of possible, CHS for example has many of the refits with their own individual art slot assigned.

Scaled versions of the RN cruisers are available at the bottom of the page here:
http://martinalcock.powweb.com/rncruiser.htm

There is actually a London rebuild class available, I cocked up the web page though, so for now here's a direct link: http://martinalcock.powweb.com/Royal%20Navy/CA_London_rebuild.zip

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 119
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 1/31/2007 9:18:36 PM   
JWE

The latest project update:

BBs and Cruisers from BigB, TomLabel and a new artist, Jose Devia, a (very) good racing sailor that also likes a wargame every now & again; he just bought his WiTP; welcome Jose!

Biggest bitch is relative scaling; been through three iterations, and have concluded that the 'magic formula' works for every ship in the inventory; from the Essex & Yamato down to a 77'PT. It's amazing, once everything follows the same relative scale, just how different (and/or similar) the various ship classes really are. I learned, for example, that many BBs had about 3 to 5 feet less freeboard than many cruisers!!! Go figure.

Anyway, we only have a couple BBs left, the CVs are looking scrumptious, CAs also almost finished. All we really need to focus on are the CLs. Soon, Mike, soon!!

Once again, TomLabel, BigB and Jose (I'm just a Bozo on this bus).

JWE

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mike Wood)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: USS Panay Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI