Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 2/2/2007 8:48:13 AM   
whollaborg

Just started a pbem against a human opponent (first time). We agreed historical first turn and i made only minor changes as allies in the first turn.
Now the adversary has sent me the next turn and i see PH in ruins. But i cannot see any combat animations, should i?

I tried the battle report putton on the game screen too but it shows only olf report from my game against computer which i had saved into the same slot earlier. Should my adversary send me more files that just the save file?

Running CHS 2.08 and the newest version

It's a bit tricky if i dont know if i hit anything of Japans...

The solution is there somewhere, i trust you!

< Message edited by Savanniperkele -- 2/2/2007 5:01:51 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/2/2007 1:41:50 PM   
tanjman

Savanniperkele,

In a PBEM the Japanese has control of the combat report & combat animations settings. If they didn't enable them in the first turn they will need to resend you the 1st turn with them enabled.

See this thread for more info: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=740847

Gunner's Mate: A Boatswain's Mate with a hunting license.

(in reply to whollaborg)
Post #: 2
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/2/2007 2:28:50 PM   
whollaborg

Tanjman,

Thank you for you fast reply.

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 3
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/2/2007 4:07:10 PM   
tanjman

Well I'm also having the same problem. I'm the Japanse and have tried twice now to get a historical 1st turn started with my PBEM opponent and each time combat animations and combat reports go from being on (I've made sure of this) to being off when I run the 1st (Allied) turn sent to me by my opponent. And I have followed  Kids post on 'How to start a PBEM game'. Suggestions, adivice and solutions are welcome.

(in reply to whollaborg)
Post #: 4
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 8:51:35 PM   
whollaborg

Our problem was solved with my opponent sending the combat report file. but now other issue has risen. Combat report from turn 2 tell that ship has sunk, but its still there...

I am not complaining as it was mine ship.

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 5
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 9:17:02 PM   
stldiver

This is fog of war, sometimes even the animations will show hits or terrible damage and when you go to the turn, you will see your forces sailing very well.

The opposite happens also, when damage occurs or a battle and it may not show on the combat report, or replay. Not very often though

Showa rules!

(in reply to whollaborg)
Post #: 6
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 9:42:20 PM   
FAdmiral

I am playing as Allies vs. AI Japanese in the campaign ver. 1804 (latest)
In my Operational Reports, I get some Japanese reports along with my
Allied reports. Is this normal? Why do I need to know what sightings
all the Bettys and Mavis did? Or should I even be getting these reports?

JIM

(in reply to stldiver)
Post #: 7
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 9:55:52 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

JIM

Operational intelligence. You need to listen to your own incompetents as much as you listen to the enemy's. It tells you who to sack.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 8
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 10:06:46 PM   
bradfordkay

It's nice to know which of your TFs have been sighted, or which bases have been reconned.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 9
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/4/2007 11:36:54 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: bradfordkay

It's nice to know which of your TFs have been sighted, or which bases have been reconned.

If you get a report.

String discovered that I had been tracking him with search aircraft that were not showing up on his operations report. Like I said, intel is what gives naval ops its special flavour. Discovering that the enemy has been tracking you with assets you haven't spotted makes for a really interesting feeling.

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 10
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 2/5/2007 12:06:54 AM   
stldiver

An example would be if a sub was spotted by a kate in the middle of the High seas, good chance CV is close by, the sub would have reported sighting the Kate, the Kate would have reported sighting the sub, intel for both sides.

Showa rules!

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 11
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 4/1/2007 5:29:48 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanjman

Well I'm also having the same problem. I'm the Japanse and have tried twice now to get a historical 1st turn started with my PBEM opponent and each time combat animations and combat reports go from being on (I've made sure of this) to being off when I run the 1st (Allied) turn sent to me by my opponent. And I have followed  Kids post on 'How to start a PBEM game'. Suggestions, adivice and solutions are welcome.

Tanjman, I'm seeing this exact problem as well. Are you running 1.804? The "word on the street" (info from the forums ) is that this is a bug with 1.804 when starting PBEM with an Historical first turn. I found this thread while searching for related issues to see if there's anything we can do. Did you ever find a way around it? Anyone else here know more about this?

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 12
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 4/1/2007 2:10:29 PM   
tanjman

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

Well I'm also having the same problem. I'm the Japanse and have tried twice now to get a historical 1st turn started with my PBEM opponent and each time combat animations and combat reports go from being on (I've made sure of this) to being off when I run the 1st (Allied) turn sent to me by my opponent. And I have followed Kids post on 'How to start a PBEM game'. Suggestions, adivice and solutions are welcome.

Tanjman, I'm seeing this exact problem as well. Are you running 1.804? The "word on the street" (info from the forums ) is that this is a bug with 1.804 when starting PBEM with an Historical first turn. I found this thread while searching for related issues to see if there's anything we can do. Did you ever find a way around it? Anyone else here know more about this?

Yes I'm using 1.804 - the only work around I found was to not do a historical start.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 13
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 6/29/2007 6:02:44 PM   
USSAmerica

Bump for Bob. 

Any word on getting this issue fixed, Bob?  The pbem game I have going with Montereytrench has animations, etc, but I still get no combat reports.  Frustrating.

Mike

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 14
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 6/29/2007 6:59:51 PM   
rtrapasso

OK - this thread preceeded my tenure as a Beta, but from what i understand, if you start with "historical first turn" you are out of luck...

i'll check to see what the status of a fix for this is.

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 6/29/2007 7:00:35 PM >

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 15
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 6/29/2007 7:26:31 PM   
USSAmerica

That's it in a nutshell.  Some people said they had luck turning the combat reports back on after the first turn or two, but it didn't seem to work for my Japanese opponent and I.  Apparently started with 1.804, but I can't verify that personally since I never played an earlier version.  Thanks, Bob!

Mike

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 16
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 6/29/2007 8:45:32 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: FAdmiral

JIM

Operational security.

Harry Erwin

(in reply to FAdmiral)
Post #: 17
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies - 7/1/2007 1:47:57 AM   
rtrapasso

Yes, sometimes it will fix itself... but other times it won't.

Sometimes the problem is you are not playing EXACTLY the same version... sometimes this can get tricky - check the number of bytes in your War in the Pacific.exe files (as well as the file version number).

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 18
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/1/2007 2:42:53 AM   
Local Yokel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Savanniperkele

Just started a pbem against a human opponent (first time). We agreed historical first turn and i made only minor changes as allies in the first turn.
Now the adversary has sent me the next turn and i see PH in ruins. But i cannot see any combat animations, should i?

I tried the battle report putton on the game screen too but it shows only olf report from my game against computer which i had saved into the same slot earlier. Should my adversary send me more files that just the save file?

Running CHS 2.08 and the newest version

It's a bit tricky if i dont know if i hit anything of Japans...

The solution is there somewhere, i trust you!

In addition to the file for the save slot you have agreed to use, the Japanese player must also send to the allied opponent the combat save file, witp001.pws. Otherwise the Allied player will never see the combat animations. Get your opponent to send you the wit001.pws file as well as the agreed save file, and the problem may well disappear.

I believe Allied players do get problems seeing combat animations in the first few turns if a historical start is chosen, but that's a different problem from Japanese player's failure to send the combat save.

(in reply to whollaborg)
Post #: 19
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/1/2007 5:36:36 PM   
rtrapasso

OK - after reading this a few times, i am uncertain which files are being sent...

IJ player needs to send:

witp001.pws file
witpxxx.pws file (the actual finalized saved turn)

and i would recommend the Combatreport.txt file be sent as well.

This last is important to make sure you are both seeing the same thing (i.e. - no replay bug, etc.)

The Allied player should load witp001.pws - and the turn will "run" - showing combat, etc. The "combat animations" - where the ships and aircraft attack and defend, should be shown at this point if the option has been turned on.

During the "run" - the Combatreport.txt, Operationsreport.txt, and the signint reports are generated (assuming they are not opened while the run occurs - the game will NOT write to open files).

By keeping track of the action, you can make sure you both got the same results... if you did not, the Japanese results are the valid ones. You can also check to make sure the Combatreport.txt that the Japanese player sent is the same as the one that was generated when the Allied player ran the turn.

If they are NOT the same, there is a problem - see the various threads on the Replay bug (there was just a recent one).

(in reply to Local Yokel)
Post #: 20
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 2:16:08 PM   
tanjman

Robert,

Back when I was tryng to get a (Historical 1st Turn) PBEM game (v1.804) going as Japan, no matter what I or my opponent did we could not get combat reports or combat animations to work from day 1. The only work around we found was to no do a Historical 1st Turn.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 21
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 2:21:48 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Robert,

Back when I was tryng to get a (Historical 1st Turn) PBEM game (v1.804) going as Japan, no matter what I or my opponent did we could not get combat reports or combat animations to work from day 1. The only work around we found was to no do a Historical 1st Turn.

Some people claim that "it clears up after a few days" - out of curiosity, how long did you try out before restarting?

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 7/2/2007 4:14:06 PM >

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 22
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 3:05:18 PM   
tanjman

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Robert,

Back when I was trying to get a (Historical 1st Turn) PBEM game (v1.804) going as Japan, no matter what I or my opponent did we could not get combat reports or combat animations to work from day 1. The only work around we found was to no do a Historical 1st Turn.

Some people claim that "it clears up after a few days" - out of curiosity, how long did you try ut before restarting?

Neither, my opponent or I wanted to not have at least the combat report for turn 1. So after about a dozen tries (1st turn only) we switched to a non-historical 1st turn.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 23
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 4:16:16 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

quote:

quote:

Robert,

Back when I was trying to get a (Historical 1st Turn) PBEM game (v1.804) going as Japan, no matter what I or my opponent did we could not get combat reports or combat animations to work from day 1. The only work around we found was to no do a Historical 1st Turn.

Some people claim that "it clears up after a few days" - out of curiosity, how long did you try ut before restarting?

Neither, my opponent or I wanted to not have at least the combat report for turn 1. So after about a dozen tries (1st turn only) we switched to a non-historical 1st turn.

i probably would have done the same... the game MIGHT have reset, but who wants to invest a lot of time and effort based on the chance?

(in reply to tanjman)
Post #: 24
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 5:11:13 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Robert,

i probably would have done the same... the game MIGHT have reset, but who wants to invest a lot of time and effort based on the chance?

My opponent and I have a month of game time invested.

Mike

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 25
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 8:46:56 PM   
rtrapasso

Are you exchanging the three files i recommended (witp001.pws, witpxxx.pws (save file) and the combatreport.txt)?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 26
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 9:00:27 PM   
USSAmerica

Bob,  Monterey and I are exchanging the witp001.pws and witpxxx.pws files.  (At least from him (Japan) to me)  He does not get a combatreport.txt file generated, and neither do I. 

We are now both at exactly the same patch level, 1.806, and both started with exactly the same 1.804.

Edit: I get the full replay, and we managed to get combat animations turned on several turns into the game, but still no combat report. As long as we stay in sync, I can get most of what I need from the replay, but there's nothing to refer back to, and nothing that WitPUtility can import.

< Message edited by USS America -- 7/2/2007 9:02:25 PM >

Mike

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 27
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/2/2007 10:27:51 PM   
Yamato hugger

Is this still an issue with 1.806?

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 28
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/3/2007 1:09:44 AM   
USSAmerica

Yamato, I have not tried to start a pbem game with historical first turn since upgrading to 1.806.  It's possible that the problem may not happen for newly started games now, but I don't know.  I do know that our game started under 1.804 still has the issue after upgrading to 1.806.

Mike

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 29
RE: Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! - 7/3/2007 1:28:27 AM   
rtrapasso

Has anyone out there started a "historical first turn" under 1.806 that wants to report what happened to them??

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Tech Support >> Issue with battle reporting as allies, a Huge problem! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI