Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PLEASE have a no turn-limit option!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/2/2007 11:53:24 PM   
CC

First off, this game looks like it will be the best stratigec WWII game in the history of gaming!

I only hope there is an option to turn off the turn-limits I've been hearing about on this fourm!
Why? Because It allows for MUCH more freedom as you are not rushed by a stupid turn limit. Also, It is possible that the war may be still in full swing at the time the turns end.

So, all I'm asking for is just a simple OPTION to turn off the turn limits. That way, people can play according to their prefrence.

Also, Perhaps you should make an option enabiling the USSR to join any side it wishes, I mean there was strong demand for a German-Soviet-Japenese Axis. Also, it would be great and easy(I think) to enable the game to continue after/if the axis are defeated so the USSR can maybe strike at the allies.

Post #: 1
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 12:09:13 AM   
Frederyck

While I can agree that turning off the turn limit would be interesting in some ways, the problem is that the game is inherently designed for the 1945 limit. The most obvious way to see this is that there won't be any new (save for a few) troops to build after that year. This would in itself present a very skewed game.

There is an add-on game enhancement called Patton in Flames that deals with the Allied vs. USSR scenario, but the mission statement for MWiF clearly deliniates that to be outside the scope of this release.

Welcome to the forum btw!

< Message edited by Frederyck -- 2/3/2007 12:24:10 AM >

(in reply to CC)
Post #: 2
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 2:13:21 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: CC
First off, this game looks like it will be the best stratigec WWII game in the history of gaming!

I only hope there is an option to turn off the turn-limits I've been hearing about on this fourm!
Why? Because It allows for MUCH more freedom as you are not rushed by a stupid turn limit. Also, It is possible that the war may be still in full swing at the time the turns end.

So, all I'm asking for is just a simple OPTION to turn off the turn limits. That way, people can play according to their prefrence.

Also, Perhaps you should make an option enabiling the USSR to join any side it wishes, I mean there was strong demand for a German-Soviet-Japenese Axis. Also, it would be great and easy(I think) to enable the game to continue after/if the axis are defeated so the USSR can maybe strike at the allies.

Yes, welcome to the forum. I read all the comments forum members write with great interest.

I am not certain what you mean by "turn limits", but I'll assume you mean that the game ends on a specified date. If you have something else in mind, let me know.

The 2 short scenarios are 5 turns each and are meant to serve several purposes: (1) introduction to the game mechanics, (2) games that require much less time to complete, and (3) sort of "time trials" where the players are definitely working within a time limit to achieve their objectives. The other 9 scenarios are of varying length, though they all end at the same time in history: Jul/Aug 1945. The variation is driven by the varying starting date (Sep/Oct 1939 or later).

One of the optional rules enables extending the game until Jul/Aug 1948. That's a long extension of 18 turns (from 36 to 54 = 50%). Going beyond that the game loses a lot of its historical verisimilitude, for the reasons Frederyck gave (unit production gets rather silly). The Patton in Flames and America in Flames add-on modules from Australian Design Group (ADG) extend the war beyond 1945, with some assumptions about enhanced units being available. MWIF product 1 will not include those modules - I have more than enough to work on as it is.

Similarly, Days of Decision (3rd edition) begins the war prior to 1939 and offers the players a lot of choices in regards to aligning different countries for the Axis and Allied sides during the 1930's. That add-on module is also not part of MWIF product 1. As you might be able to guess, Matrix Games has plans for me working on MWIF for years to come, with additional products. But one thing at a time, ... back to the code.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to CC)
Post #: 3
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 2:26:15 AM   
CC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

One of the optional rules enables extending the game until Jul/Aug 1948. That's a long extension of 18 turns (from 36 to 54 = 50%). Going beyond that the game loses a lot of its historical verisimilitude, for the reasons Frederyck gave (unit production gets rather silly). The Patton in Flames and America in Flames add-on modules from Australian Design Group (ADG) extend the war beyond 1945, with some assumptions about enhanced units being available. MWIF product 1 will not include those modules - I have more than enough to work on as it is.

Ok, that sounds long enough. Thanks.

But I have a couple newb questions:

1. How many scenarios are there and what are they? (ex: can i choose to start the game in 1943, 1944, ect.)

2. How does diplomacy work? (as Germany, how do i convince Rominia, Hungary and Bulgaria to join the Axis, how about Turkey?)

3. Are the "8 major powers that you can play individually Germany, Italy, USSR, Japan, USA, Btritian, Italy, and France?

Sorry to bug you with these questions, but I'm just trying to get as much info on this great game as possible.

Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 2:42:08 AM   
trees

I think the entire rule book can be downloaded from the ADG website...

(in reply to CC)
Post #: 5
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 3:18:28 AM   
Mziln

Yup see the The RaW 7 Aug 04 and Scenario RTF  thread.

(in reply to trees)
Post #: 6
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 11:06:49 AM   
Frederyck

And to not overwhelm you at the start (the rule book is rather a daunting task to start reading... :) ), here are a few pointers.

There are 10 or so different scenarios, ranging from short five-turn affairs (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) to the whole 36 turn World in Flames scenario spanning the whole war.

Regarding your questions about diplomacy - all those things you mentioned and more are covered by the rules, so for example, there are rules governing the Soviet claim to Bessarabia, or an allied aligning of Yugoslavia or Rumania joining the Axis and so forth, and the also aftermath with different results in the game depending on the reactions of other players.

The powers you play in the game are those you mentioned plus China (both communists and nationalists). So the complete list is Germany, China, USSR, Japan, USA, Commonwealth, Italy, and France (or Vichy France and Free France).

< Message edited by Frederyck -- 2/3/2007 11:21:58 AM >

(in reply to Mziln)
Post #: 7
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 11:32:23 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

And to not overwhelm you at the start (the rule book is rather a daunting task to start reading... :) ), here are a few pointers.

There are 10 or so different scenarios, ranging from short five-turn affairs (Barbarossa and Guadalcanal) to the whole 36 turn World in Flames scenario spanning the whole war.

Regarding your questions about diplomacy - all those things you mentioned and more are covered by the rules, so for example, there are rules governing the Soviet claim to Bessarabia, or an allied aligning of Yugoslavia or Rumania joining the Axis and so forth, and the also aftermath with different results in the game depending on the reactions of other players.

The powers you play in the game are those you mentioned plus China (both communists and nationalists). So the complete list is Germany, China, USSR, Japan, USA, Commonwealth, Italy, and France (or Vichy France and Free France).

11 scenarios: two last 5 turns, two use half the map (Europe or Pacific), seven use the entire world map and start at different times during the war.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 8
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 3:25:50 PM   
Caranorn

On the Soviet Union. The only way it would ever have sided with Germany (and even then it's unlikely, a three way war would have been more probable) is if the Western Allies had attacked it in 1940 over the Winter War. The entire Berlin-Rome-Tokyo Axis was founded against the Soviet Union (the anti comintern (Communist International) pact). The only reason Stalin (and I'm not one of his followers far from it) worked with Hitler in the 1930's was to gain time and space (unfortunatelly to purge the state first instead of using those valuable people and resources to prepare against the inevitable German attack on the Soviet Union).

In any case, even even if this 1940 Western Allies vs. Soviet war was incorporated in the game no British or French player would ever be stupid enough to attack the Soviet Union (there should never be an option for the Soviet player to voluntarily join the axis, it just never was an option).

A post victory war against the Soviet Union is anotehr issue again. For some reason I never bought Patton in Flames so I can't say how it is portrayed there. To be realistic, production in western Europe should drop drastically (anti war riots and strikes by a majority of the populmation) the moment the US declares war on the Soviet Union. Also permanent partisan operations (regardless of control at 50% rating to simulate civil wars) over most of Europe (certainly France, Italy, Greece...). Even US production would have dropped (mostly war fatigue), research definitelly would have gone down etc. On paper a US-British war against the Soviet Union seems realistic in 1945-46, in fact it woudl have been suicidal at best. If at all it's a worse prospect then the post WWI operations by  France, Britain, the US and Japan (and Poland which can be seen as part of that campaign, the only actually sucessful one) against the Soviet Revolution.

Marc aka Caran... ministerialis

Post #: 9
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 5:55:15 PM   
Mziln

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

The scenario setup EXCEL spreadsheets at the A.D.G. site are flawed. They do not list all the Crusiers in Flames ships, units, or start locations.

The Beta team has worked up a corrected EXCEL spreadsheet for the scenarios from a later release of an A.D.G. CD of setup locations (thanks Patrice ).

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 10
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/3/2007 8:39:29 PM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Caranorn

On the Soviet Union. The only way it would ever have sided with Germany (and even then it's unlikely, a three way war would have been more probable) is if the Western Allies had attacked it in 1940 over the Winter War. The entire Berlin-Rome-Tokyo Axis was founded against the Soviet Union (the anti comintern (Communist International) pact). The only reason Stalin (and I'm not one of his followers far from it) worked with Hitler in the 1930's was to gain time and space (unfortunatelly to purge the state first instead of using those valuable people and resources to prepare against the inevitable German attack on the Soviet Union).

In any case, even even if this 1940 Western Allies vs. Soviet war was incorporated in the game no British or French player would ever be stupid enough to attack the Soviet Union (there should never be an option for the Soviet player to voluntarily join the axis, it just never was an option).

OK it would have been unlikely, but to say it would have been impossible is a bit dogmatic! The frustration of this subject is that one can debate counterfactual histories ad infinitum- because there is no way of proving it either way... but that is surely the point of games to explore the things that might have happened.

But WiF is fairly well balanced to make for a playable game and is set up to represent the basic starting points of the war with the "whatifs" being somewhat limited to those of an operational nature. If you do like to explore the more outre possibilities of international relations in the 30s-40s then go for Days of Decision, which I heartily recommend.

Jimm

(in reply to Caranorn)
Post #: 11
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/9/2007 8:57:18 PM   
iamspamus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Similarly, Days of Decision (3rd edition) begins the war prior to 1939 and offers the players a lot of choices in regards to aligning different countries for the Axis and Allied sides during the 1930's. That add-on module is also not part of MWIF product 1. As you might be able to guess, Matrix Games has plans for me working on MWIF for years to come, with additional products. But one thing at a time, ... back to the code.

Hey Steve,

Once again, thanks for all of the hard work. Like everyone else, I am looking forward to the game when finished. Keep up the good work and ... flame-retardant suit on ... a great game in a year or two is better than a rushed one sooner!

Anyhow, I'm glad to hear the above news. I know that we don't have MWIF 1 out, but I can't wait for DoD (mostly) and then Patton/America in Flames. So, keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Jason

Post #: 12
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/11/2007 3:58:14 AM   
coregames

quote:

Also, Perhaps you should make an option enabiling the USSR to join any side it wishes...

I haven't played a recent version of DoD, but as I remember, Russia can win the entire game without ever joining the Allies (though they still can't join the Axis).

"The creative combination lays bare the presumption of a lie." -- Lasker

Keith Henderson

(in reply to CC)
Post #: 13
RE: PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! - 2/11/2007 8:37:05 PM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: coregames

quote:

Also, Perhaps you should make an option enabiling the USSR to join any side it wishes...

I haven't played a recent version of DoD, but as I remember, Russia can win the entire game without ever joining the Allies (though they still can't join the Axis).

True enough. The game works on the basis of three ideologies/ sides: Democrats, Fascists and Communists. In the standard game the rules anchor the major powers to their sides, but there are options to play games allowing certain, or all major powers to change their ideology.

However there is no limitation on various sides signing pacts with each other- so Russia can ally with Germany and take on the Good Guys.

The three sided situation amkes for a far more cagey game and can really keep the Allies on their toes, especially if the Russians and Germans cosy up early on.

(in reply to coregames)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> PLEASE have a no turn-limit option! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI