Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/4/2007 6:49:40 PM   
moses

Private AAR by Moses War between Jwilkerson (Japan) and Moses(Allied)

Historical first turn / stock scenario. This will start off much slower then games in which Japan can optimize its first turn. The allies have time to set up a bit before the onslaught arrives.

7 Dec: His troops take Wake on the first turn. No BB's sunk at PH.

Dec8-Dec15:

China: He attacks immediately at Yenen. My troops hold and reinforcements are on the way. Down south my troops near Nanning pour through that city en route to Wuchow. My force at Wuchow sends units into Canton which prevent him from moving further units into Hong Kong. In Hong Kong he has only one division which makes for a fair fight.

Japanese Shock attack at Hong Kong--14 Dec

Attacking force 22000 troops, 232 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 465
Defending force 13036 troops, 109 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 227
Japanese max assault: 956 - adjusted assault: 76
Allied max defense: 249 - adjusted defense: 245
Japanese assault odds: 0 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese ground losses:--------------- Allied ground losses:
1218 casualties reported----------------194 casualties reported
Guns lost 41------------------------------Guns lost 12
Vehicles lost 2

He drives me out of Canton on the 15th.

Burma: I push my Brigades to the south of Tavoy causing his 55th Division to go off road into the woods. My troops take Rahang and things appear stable here.

Malaysia: He has pounded Singapore into submission with constant attacks by 70-80 Nells's. My troops at Kuntan pulled out after a short defence and he took that city on 14 Dec. He entered Aloe Star on the 15th.

PI: He took the North coast and Lagaspie and all is calm as he stands there and builds his force. He pounds Clark field each turn.

Bornio: His invasion of North Bornio succeeds. More on this later.

East DEI: I am concentrating force at Ambonia and Kendari to make my main defence. His carriers are headed this way according to SIGINT. I have retreated two base force units from PI to Ambonia and have a couple dutch base force units heading to Kendari. Two combat units from Darwin are headed to Ambonia and Kendari along with extra supply from multiple locations. Most of my subs and the bulk of my surface force will concentrate in this area. My goal is to hold these locations at all costs and encourage his carriers to operate in this area where I will have concentrated subs. This is my main effort.

Area Rabaul: Quiet. He has Taken Admiralty Islands. I have a CL and a CA that will contest this area until he shows he's brought some air.

My main carrier force rounds Tarawa and is headed toward the area around Rabaul. My third carrier is headed toward the Canton area. I have no aggressive plans here for the moment. I only want to prevent any easy Japanese expansion and facilitate the movement of air units west.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/13/2007 7:29:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/4/2007 8:37:48 PM   
moses

Battle of North Bornio

Kuching is a key target for Japan early on as it is a size 4 airbase which allows Japan's Nells and Betties to range over large parts of the DEI. Since this is an historical start, Japan's 35th Brigade, (preped for Kuching), sits at Camrahn Bay. It will have to spend a day loading and then travel 660 miles to Kuching which means its earliest arrival is on the 12th.

My goal was to stop this invasion. I would have 12 good subs, (all dutch and s-class with good torpedoes). I would move 4 PT's to Kuching and hide a destroyer at Brunie to attempt a mid-ocean intercept of his transports. Finally I would move my fleet of Vildabeasts to Kuching. My hope is that he Japan would come to Kuching with a weakly supported force and be crushed.

11 Dec: My subs attack multiple TF's headed toward the coast:

---AP Hokuhi Maru, Shell hits 7, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS KXIV
Japanese ground losses:
105 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

---AP Choko Maru, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS KXIV
Japanese ground losses:
26 casualties reported
Guns lost 3

---AP Choko Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS KXIV
Japanese ground losses:
49 casualties reported
Guns lost 1

---AP Kaiko Maru, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
Allied Ships
SS KXIII

Japan retaliates:ASW attack at 29,53

Japanese Ships
PG Uji
PG Saga
PG Hashidate
MSW W.5

Allied Ships
SS KXIII, hits 3

But some bad news, It becomes clear that Japan has brought some force. Multiple BB's and CA's are sighted 240 miles off coast. I have to assume that a big bombardment is in store and I don't want my Vildabeasts to be destroyed on their airstrips. I make the decision to pull them out. It was the wrong call. He does not bombard (which would have allowed my PT's a good chance). Instead he sends the heavy ships in as a surface force.

I send my DD Thracien to attempt to intercepts part off his transport fleet. Its not conceived as a suicide mission. It plans to depart from Brunie, intercepts at night, and then withdraw to the SW where I have LR CAP set up for it.
12Dec:

----Night Time Surface Combat at 28,55

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
CA Takao
CA Atago
CL Jintsu
DD Asashio
DD Oshio
DD Michishio
DD Arashio
DD Akatsuki
DD Hibiki

Allied Ships
DD Thracian, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
----Well that didn't work!!

-----AP Kaishi Maru, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS O16

----------Day Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 28,56

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
CA Takao
CA Atago
CL Jintsu
DD Asashio
DD Oshio
DD Michishio
DD Arashio
DD Akatsuki
DD Hibiki

Allied Ships
PT TM-4, Shell hits 18, and is sunk
PT TM-5
PT TM-6
PT TM-7, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

----------Day Time Surface Combat, near Kuching at 28,56

Japanese Ships
BB Kongo
BB Haruna
CA Takao
CA Atago
CL Jintsu
DD Asashio
DD Oshio
DD Michishio
DD Arashio, Shell hits 1
DD Akatsuki
DD Hibiki

Allied Ships
PT TM-5, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
PT TM-6, Shell hits 7, and is sunk

How come my PT's never do as well as in some threads I read? I think its because here he was not bombarding. He went in as a surface force in the daytime and swept my PT's aside.
---------Coastal Guns at Kuching, 28,56, firing at TF 115
TF 115 troops unloading over beach at Kuching, 28,56

49 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.
Japanese Ships
AP Teiun Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire

Japanese ground losses:
521 casualties reported
Guns lost 2

The battle is essentially over. My subs did their job, but the PT's and my DD raid both failed. Finally I chickened out with my torpedo bombers. My opponent handled his ships well and so what can you do.
I get in one more shot:

AP Haguro Maru, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
SS KXII
Japanese ground losses:
58 casualties reported

And the base fell on the 13TH to a 76 to 1 shock attack. It wasn't even close. Miri also fell that day. Brunei on the 15th.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 2/13/2007 7:33:57 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 2
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/4/2007 10:50:04 PM   
John 3rd

Moses,

Good to see you up and running as the Allies!  You have raised fits with me in our campaigns for 2 years now.  I'll happily watch and enjoy the commentary and your thoughts.

Enjoy getting kicked around for 6-8 months---I KNOW you will do some kicking during that time as well!  Been there and expereinced that. 

John

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 3
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/7/2007 2:14:11 AM   
moses

Hey John. Hope you'll enjoy seeing the effect of all the training I recieved at your hands.

20 DEC: Multiple CV's sighted at Palau!!!!!

< Message edited by moses -- 2/7/2007 2:27:38 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 4
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/7/2007 2:21:21 AM   
John 3rd

Thanks Greg!  I'll watch and enjoy.  If life EVER slows down, I'll be emailing you ASAP!

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 5
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/9/2007 3:04:57 AM   
moses

Summery: 16-22 Dec:

China: Looks completly stable. He took Hong Kong on the 20th and has been bombing my front line cities with large numbers of Sallies and Lillies. He has troops in Yenen but they have done nothing this week. He may be prepping for a big shock attack there but I have already moved two Corps to Yenen from Homan and I have more reinforcements on the way. I really don't see what his plan is at this point.

Burma: He retook Tavoy and he has forces opposing me at Rahaeng. As his 55th Division got stuck in the woods his success will depend on his 33rd Division which I have not located but which should be showing up very soon. I'm not at all sure that I can hold the river line south of Rangoon.

Malaysia: He has taken Aloa Star but I got off easy as only two of my brigades suffered a retreat. He has two divisions here and he looks to be going to take Georgetown before continuing south.

I have committed the AVG to a major air battle around Singapore as part of a campaign to resupply both Singapore and Rangoon. I will write up the results of this in a future post. In brief the AVG has been savaged but the transports may get through.

PI: He seems to have opted to attack from Legaspie through Naga to Manila. He seems to have very little force on the north coast and I considered going on the offensive there before deciding it was more important to defend Manila then gamble up north. I feel quite confident in my position here as Manila is a tough position to take.

East DEI: My main defence position is now established with over 20,000 sp at both Kendari and Ambonia. There are three ground units and three base force units at each location. Massed submarine, surface, and air assets are concentrated to defend this axis. B17E's at Kendari are now attacking his advanced air base at Menado. My confidance was shaken a bit when he snuck in a surface force with two BB's which ripped up 6 AK's at Ambonia. But I look forward to any attempt by Japan to take this position. Multiple carriers have been sighted at Palau for 3 days. Here a look at the defence:

South/Central Pacific: all quiet: Lexington and Enterprise sit safely south of Rabaul waiting for enemy moves. Saratoga is moving West around Pago Pago and is in the business of helping air units move along the island chain to Austrailia.

As I wait for the main battle to begin I am happy that I have survived the initial repositioning of my forces without major ship losses. Only 3 DD's sunk. Japan has lost no combat ships at all but has lost 43 zero's and 44 Nells. My goal is 104 zero's by 7 Jan which would mean his zero force would not be growing. I won't reach that goal without his help but anything in the range of 90 I'll consider a victory.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 2/9/2007 5:30:55 AM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/9/2007 3:32:07 AM   
Mike Solli

You're assuming, of course, that he didn't increase his A6M2 production.  I try to double it by the end of 1941.  There are a lot of Claudes out there that don't get a bonus until upgaded to Zeros.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 7
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/9/2007 3:40:07 AM   
moses

I'm assuming that any increases won't take effect for the first month. You double a factory but then it has to build one factory per day. Then its only producing for part of the month etc. I'd be curious though to what extent 1st month production can be increased.

Anyway it's just a planning goal. If I can kill 90 with the zero bonus in effect and mostly inferior aircraft I'll consider it a plus. Jwilkerson seems fairly conservative with his planes so I doubt I'll get 90.

In future months I have to kill more to keep up with production like you say.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/9/2007 3:53:49 AM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 8
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/9/2007 4:00:22 AM   
John 3rd

Moses,

Go on the offensive in the Northern Philippines!  I think one of the single biggest mstakes that Allied Players make is fallback and fallback and fallback without a fight.  You are master in this area.  Try to drive him into the sea!  At the worst you scare him and force him to divert forces best used elsewhere.

As you know, I REALLY like the Timor gambit for an early Allied stand.  MAKE him commit serious forces here and bleed him.  Any forces lost now have serious complications later.

IMO! 

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 9
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/9/2007 4:18:48 AM   
moses

I agree about your Timor gambit and I'm going to try and defend even further forward at Ambonia/Kendari.

I just didn't see that much reward in taking out one of his north PI bases. Especially because since he is going to have to fight in Manila I may be able to tie him down forever in urban combat. Since I still have many supply sources producing in the PI he may never wear me down.

It will be hard for him to take my reinforced positions at Kendari and Ambonia unless he has divisional sized units. I will let him land while his carriers support his ops but I will snipe at him with subs and always be prepared to send in my surface heavies as soon as he leaves.

But once he takes PI and can send 4 or 5 divisions to Ambonia he can just pound me down.

So my view is that the important thing in the PI is not for the allies to win but to tie up Japan's divisions for as long as possible. If I gamble on North PI and lose Manila I'm toast.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 10
RE: Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) - 2/10/2007 11:30:41 PM   
moses

23-25 Dec:

China: He Shock attacks with 5 Divisions and 5 ind Brigades at Yenen against 8 Chinese Corps dug in to level 2 forts in the woods. Its not even close 559AV vs. 2085 DV.

Burma: The 33rd Division shows up near Rahaeng. He tries to sychronise a shock attack with the 33rd and the BDE already in the hex. But the 33rd delays its move and the independent BDE attacks alone and loses. On the 25th the 33rd crosses the river and makes the mandatory shock attack and also loses. My troops will now retreat across the river before Japan can regroup and drive me out. In the meantime 12 transports unload supplies at Rangoon with only minimal interfence from 1 Jap sub and a group of Ann's.

Sinngapore: My transports unload over 20,000 oil at Singapore without opposition!!?? Every transport made it back to Palenbang unscathed. Not quite sure how that happened as my area fighters had been decimated and I had abandoned the transports to their fate.

East DEI:

On the 23rd and 24th a running battle raged between airbases at Kendari (B17's and P-40E's) and Menado (zero's and Nell's). The results 6 Zero's and 7 Nell's for 7 P-40's and 1 B17. The 25th was quite as I think his guys wanted to rest and I began pulling out the B17's to get out of the way of KB.

The invasion of Ambonia appears underway. His carrier's are off the coast and wacked 3 of my subs in one day. A surface and two transport TF's are right off coast. They may get quite a surprise. I have 6 units there and over 500 mines. My intent is too absorb the blow of naval air and any bombardments before countering with surface units which currently are based at Timor, Darwin, Kendari and a couple other safe spots. This might be a good place to stage multiple surface battles if Japan is forced to repeatedly reinforce a beached invasion force. The risk is that my surface force gets jumped by KB during the run in to Ambonia. So timing will be everything.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/10/2007 11:43:24 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 11
A really bad idea - 2/11/2007 6:28:35 AM   
moses

Using massed subs against KB????? It sounded good in theory. But in 3 days he's gotten at least 10 hits on my subs. Only one has sunk but my whole force has been scattered. It's suicide trying to go against this monster.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 12
RE: A really bad idea - 2/11/2007 5:17:37 PM   
ny59giants

I would try to put a sub blockade around Palua. He will use it as his staging area for the invasions of East DEI. Troops and supplies will come down from Japan which you can try to interdict and then those heading towards the DEI. It will also act as a tripwire to give you advanced warning of convoys heading towards Ambonia and beyond.

I would send about 10 subs over there if you can afford it.

Were you able to get any of the AS out of Manila and down to northern Australia??

< Message edited by ny59giants -- 2/11/2007 5:31:37 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 13
RE: A really bad idea - 2/11/2007 5:41:29 PM   
moses

All the AS and all aircraft have been evacuated from PI. I even pulled out two small base forces. I just left one of the p-35 units and a patrol plane unit up there.

I am sending my subs in the direction you indicated and some other places. It is clear at this point that I want to be anywhere but near KB.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 14
RE: A really bad idea - 2/11/2007 6:52:19 PM   
moses

His troops got a 2-1 attack at Ambonia yesterday which stunned me. It can't fall so soon!!!

His carriers, AP's and surface force are headed to Kendari. I suspect he's having everything follow the AP's because they always stay in one hex which makes them impossible to attack.

They should hit Kendari in two days and a similar smaller TF will hit Tarkatan in Borneo tomorrow.

I have a destroyer raid hitting Ambonia tomorrow which may hit a soft spot as the transports there appear to have been abandoned. Another five destroyer force moves toward Kendari from the west and will try a night interception as his transports hit Kendari intwo days. Against all the might of the Japanese air force, two swordfish slip into the battered Ambonia airfield and will try to get lucky.

Everything else has been evacuated from the area of operations.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 15
26-28 Dec - 2/11/2007 8:49:22 PM   
moses

26-28 Dec:

Apart from the unfolding disaster around Ambonia things are proceding fairly well.

China: Completely stable. He brought a 6th division to Yenen but the deliberate attack failed miserably. Each attack he loses 3-1 casualties.

Burma: I wait to see if the 33rd will cross the river from Rahaeng. They will have to decide quickly because my last two Burma BDE's are now moving south along the rail and will arrive in the area in 4 or 5 days. If they get established the river line may become impregnable, at least for the short term.

The AVG arrives back at Mandalay from its battles around Singapore with 14 airframes and 41 pilots. I don't know if I should consider its campaign a success. They killed 19 zero's and 10 Nells not including any op losses that may have occured. Plus a bunch of zero's had to redeploy there to fight that battle. Not such a good kill ratio but my transport convoy did somehow unload in Singapore and now in Rangoon and so I have no supply problems in either location.

Malaysia: He continues slowly down the pennensula taking Taiping on the 27th. I've been able to retreat prior to his capturing each location and so have not suffered serious loses yet. I will take a stand soon.

PI: He has two divisions in Manila where I think they will be for a long time. My position here is quite satisfactory.

Subs: I have been completely outplayed here. Usually I use my subs traditionally and attack the shipping lanes. This game I tried to use them to hunt KB. The result is I have lost 4 subs and have 12 with greater then 10 system damage. Only one of these seems at risk of sinking still it has been a terrible performance when you consider that I have killed very little in exchange for this loss.

In contrast my opponent is using his subs very aggressively moving in and out of my ports. He has hit easily twice as many ships with his inferior force and has yet to suffer a sinking that I know of.

The whole East side of the map: Well he did send a small bombardment force to Rabaul which did very little. Other then that there's nothing to report from Rabaul all the way East.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 16
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/11/2007 9:35:13 PM   
madflava13

This is a nice read... I'm looking forward to following it!

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 17
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/12/2007 12:56:34 AM   
moses

29 Dec:

Ambonia falls What a disaster!!!! I have never seen it fall so fast and I had significantly reinforced it. KB just pounded it for three days straight and down it went.

My destroyer raid did go in and as I hoped hit nothing but transports. It roughed up 4 of them but one of the destroyers was significantly damaged (40 sys) and is now limping back to Darwin.

His carriers paused from their direct course to Kendari probably so that they could bomb Ambonia once more. I suppose they could also be headed toward Timor.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/12/2007 1:12:02 AM >

(in reply to madflava13)
Post #: 18
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/12/2007 4:22:18 AM   
ny59giants

The east DEI around Ambonia, Kendari, and Timor can easily turn into a small disaster for a Japanese player if they don't commit the proper resources there (mini-KB or KB) to support their invasions. This flank for the Allies is vulnerable to a quick surge by the Japanese and it looks like it may happen. Thus, a prolonged defense of Timor and Java will be extremely difficult for you. 

Beware of him placing Betty/Nell on Kendari to secure that flank along with him closing off any escape from Malaya through the straights and then sending KB around the west of Java and through the straits between Java and Sumatra to get a crack at your British BB/BC.   This may not happen right away, but make sure they are not caught it this trap.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 19
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/12/2007 4:46:04 AM   
moses

Your right there. Most games I've played Japan comes in without KB and get tied up in Ambonia for weeks as they have to bring in extra troops to save the invasion. In this case Jwilkerson came in with KB fully supported. I have to assume that the next target is Kendari and, like you said, level 4 airbases right up in my face.

I'll try and protect those British BB/BC's. I considered positioning them West of Kendari and running them in at night for a decisive battle. But its just too much of a risk with KB sitting there. Even a decisive surface victory would probably be turned against me as KB chased down my damaged ships afterward. Those ships are currently south of Timor headed for Darby where they will wait for a better opportunity.

Its very difficult to contend with Japanese players who operate so methodically.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/12/2007 6:59:30 PM >

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 20
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 4:41:28 AM   
moses

30-31 Dec:

KB has turned south toward Darwin instead of Kendari?? I can't believe my luck!! I was practically defenseless as my fighter force has been sheaded. I could easily see Japan rolling up my position from right to left. But now he has spent two days sailing south.

I think he was tempted by the desire to punish my destroyer raid on Ambonia and he did in fact get one of my crippled destroyers. Then once he'd gone that far he probably figured might as well see what could be bombed at Darwin. (About 10 AK's and an AP.) These are all damaged now. But all my surface forces safely fled toward Darby.

He stayed in his tight ball of transport, surface and air group so it will take at least three days for the transports to get back to Kendari. Plus KB has burned fuel, 4 or 5 planes, and more importantly sorties hitting my destroyer and the port of Darwin.

I get at least five days to rebuild my air groups. Plus the first small fighter units from the USA have now reached Austrailia. What a boost to my confidance after the defeat at Ambonia.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 21
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 3:41:57 PM   
ny59giants

Darwin was a fishing trip for him. Lucky for you, you didn't keep much there. I have had too many ships there as an Allied player and was fortunate not to get caught.  He could go west and then north to the southern tip of Java and launch an attack on Soerabaja trying to see what shipping he can get.

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 22
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 4:54:43 PM   
patrickl

Hi,

Look forward to following the thread religiously. I find that the real challenge in playing WITP is when one plays Allied. Hope you can forward some maps too.

All the best! We are rooting for the Allied!

Pat

< Message edited by patrickl -- 2/13/2007 5:08:23 PM >

Banner designed by rogueusmc

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 23
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 5:36:34 PM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: ny59giants

Darwin was a fishing trip for him. Lucky for you, you didn't keep much there. I have had too many ships there as an Allied player and was fortunate not to get caught.  He could go west and then north to the southern tip of Java and launch an attack on Soerabaja trying to see what shipping he can get.

I've been trying to make sure my surface combatants stay well away from KB except when I specifically decide to take the risk. My only worry is always that he will make some random 12 hex move at full speed from which he can reach a lot of places. But now that he has moved around a bit he probably will not risk a full speed move due to fuel constrainsts. Plus he seems to be determined to keep his transports under the protection of his carriers.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 24
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 5:47:10 PM   
moses

quote:

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Hope you can forward some maps too.

There's KB 4 hexes from Darwin with the transports/ASW/surface fleet in toe. At Wyndham are the slightly damaged CA Bosie and a few other destroyers which bailed out of Darwin. To the far west at Darby is my main battle fleet. Those two subs near Darby are cripples from the sub slaughter up north and are now headed to Wyndham foor safety.

Not the ground reinforcements heading toward Darwin just in case he does land.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 2/13/2007 6:11:25 PM >

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 25
29-31 DEC - 2/13/2007 6:44:39 PM   
moses

Dec 29-31:

Malaysia: He has made several attacks at Kuala Lumpur where I have made a brief stand. I had a bit of a scare when my unit BDE holding the mountain pass from Kuantan moved to Malacca leaving only a badly damaged base force unit. His armor unit shock attacked and occupied Malacca for a turn until I drove him out. Had my forces in Kuala Lumpur been defeated I could have suffered a mass surrender.

Japanese Shock attack at Kuala Lumpur--30 Dec.

Attacking force 27066 troops, 269 guns, 315 vehicles, Assault Value = 1030
Defending force 15721 troops, 136 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 343
Japanese max assault: 1080 - adjusted assault: 311
Allied max defense: 328 - adjusted defense: 303

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Japanese ground losses-----------------Allied ground losses:
1410 casualties reported----------------370 casualties reported
Guns lost 52------------------------------Guns lost 22
Vehicles lost 10

Japanese Shock attack Ground combat at Kuala Lumpur--31 Dec.

Attacking force 48679 troops, 486 guns, 307 vehicles, Assault Value = 908
Defending force 14873 troops, 100 guns, 4 vehicles, Assault Value = 311
Japanese max assault: 1406 - adjusted assault: 639
Allied max defense: 296 - adjusted defense: 489

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 3)
Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 2

Japanese ground losses-----------------Allied ground losses:
745 casualties reported-----------------793 casualties reported
Guns lost 15------------------------------Guns lost 17

I begin my retreat today toward Johore Bharu where I will have all my Bde's intact and hopefully in good shape for a prolonged stand.

Burma: He finally moved his Nells and zero's up to Burma and hit 8 or 9 of my AK's as they departed Rangoon. Too late; I have over 50,000 sp in Rangoon and if I can hold the river line for the next couple days I may hold for all of January. Those two units on the rail north of Rangoon are the BDE's that start the war in the woods. Once they arrive in position my front should be very solid.

His 33rd Division and a host of smaller units are at Rahaeng. Near Moulmein there is only one Japanese Bde. His 55th went off road into the woods near Tavoy and I assume it will be another week or two before it can return to the fight.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moses -- 2/14/2007 5:09:56 PM >

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 26
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 8:11:37 PM   
John 3rd

Moses:

WISH I had a snow day!  Wish I was teaching HS so we could still be playing...

Where are your American and British CVs?  Is he using the whole of the KB?  Do you, perhaps, have an opportunity here to damage or sink one of the vaunted KB?

Just Thoughts...
John

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 27
RE: 29-31 Dec - 2/13/2007 8:21:43 PM   
moses

My American CV's are south of Rabaul waiting for an attack that never came. I'm considering a raid in the area of Rabaul but think it might be best to keep them out of sight a bit longer so he has to worry about them popping up somewhere unexpected. The Saratogo is being used to ferry aircraft west for the moment. Boring and non-aggressive I know---but safe.

He is keeping KB intact and there is no way I will come close to it with my carriers. Right now its too strong. I sent 6 B17's up against it a couple days ago, and 101 zero's showed up as CAP!!! All 6 B17's went down. I accidentally sent 6 Hudson's as well. (They were based in Timor and had had not reset their default range as KB got near) That was about as effective as the 12 Wirraways that tried to contest KB's bombing of Darwin.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/14/2007 5:10:23 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 28
RE: 26-28 Dec - 2/13/2007 8:46:15 PM   
John 3rd

Ooopppsss.  He must have his CAP set at 70% or higher...

Are you still on the stock game?  In one of my remaining campaigns, we just re-started and have chosen to use BigB's 3.1 Mod.  Less bloody Air-to-Air and a host of smaller changes...

If his KB is in the DEI, why not do some raiding?  In our first campaign, you did that to great effect against me early on. 

Has he not taken Rabaul yet?  I see you have reached Jan 1942... 

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 29
RE: 29-31 Dec - 2/13/2007 9:04:09 PM   
moses

He plays very methodically and supports his operations with everything he has. As a result he doesn't run multiple operations at the same time. In addition we used an historical start (stock) which gets things started at a slower pace then is the case when Japan can custumize his first turn.

I played a player a year or so ago who had a very similar style. For a time I wondered if he even knew what he was doing because he moved so slow. (Like does he even understand that he is supposed to take the DEI??) But eventually I found that I could not do anything against him because he had everything defended and he only attacked when he had every possible advantage.

Eventually I got frustrated and started playing too aggressively. I took a couple chances and lost every single one. Carriers gone, numerous BB's CA's sunk for nothing in return. I think he wondered if I even knew what I was doing.

Trying not to make the same mistakes.

< Message edited by moses -- 2/14/2007 5:10:46 PM >

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> Moses(AL)Jwilkerson(IJ) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI