Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

IF YOU HAD ONLY TEN MEN?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> IF YOU HAD ONLY TEN MEN? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
IF YOU HAD ONLY TEN MEN? - 8/14/2000 2:38:00 PM   
crazyivan

if you could HAVE ONLY TEN MEN to take into a ww2 battle what unit and from which country would you chose from? they the ten would be armed all the same so weapons do not come into this little forum numbers and the years also don,t matter but they must be between 39-45 and if you can just state your own pref and not try and comment on others picks this is not a flamer but just to keep it simple. all men must be from the same army ie german ss us rangers etc. have fun my pick would be the KIWIS these New Zealand boys from mianly the 8th army.the kiwi trooper could adapte to the harshest of conditions with the minuim of materials they were well knowin for there ability to make something out of nothing.they were often seen as a unruly mop but had a pride in them selves that would make them fight like demons.being from a country that was full of farmers and bush men alike the kiwi could and was a good allround fighter useing both the plains and the bush as his secound skin ie the dessert war and the jungle. so if i had only ten men they would be kiwis

"The best form of defence,is attack"
Post #: 1
- 8/14/2000 3:41:00 PM   
Fredde

Definately 10 finnish jaegers ;-) the most courageous and brave troops of wwII, full of own initiative.

"If infantry is the Queen of the battlefield, artillery is her backbone", Jukka L. Mäkelä about the Finnish victory at Ihantala.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 2
- 8/14/2000 3:58:00 PM   
Recon_slith

Ten Gurkhas, what else? The enemy can't understand your radio transmissions either- unless they speak Nepalese. ------------------ Wait for Death. There's a choice? Recon

Let me make the superstitions of a nation and I care not who makes its laws or its songs either.
-- Mark Twain

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 3
- 8/14/2000 11:04:00 PM   
Drake666

If you could HAVE ONLY TEN MEN to take into a ww2 battle what unit and from which country would you chose from? Now thats kind of a broad statment. All kinds of factors would come into play depinding on all the battle condetions. People like the Kiwis are not going to be very good in winter condetions and the same for the finnish in jungle conditions. If I had to pick do it would have to be the Brandenburg Commandos, who have experince and training in many types of tarrain and battlefield condetions.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 4
- 8/15/2000 12:23:00 AM   
McGib

I'll take 10 Canadian troops, if we cant beat them in a fight we'll drink em to death!

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 5
- 8/15/2000 12:24:00 AM   
Tombstone

I'd go with Gurkhas too, but I think among the elite forces of the world you wont get TOO much variation in performance given a 10 man team. Under those circumstances actual individuals would matter more than where they came from. You might want to select from medal of honor, victoria cross, etc. recipients that weren't given post-humously or something. I dunno. Maybe just get some guys off the street with nothing to lose... Tomo

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 6
- 8/15/2000 3:29:00 AM   
victorhauser

Tomo, something like "The Dirty Decimal" or "The Dirty Digits"?? LOL [This message has been edited by victorhauser (edited August 14, 2000).]

VAH

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 7
- 8/15/2000 6:24:00 AM   
Antonius

I'd take ten French cooks: can't win with 10 men but what a great meal before the unavoidable years in a POW camp !

Wargamo, ergo sum

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 8
- 8/15/2000 2:40:00 PM   
StuNZ

quote:

Originally posted by crazyivan: if you could HAVE ONLY TEN MEN to take into a ww2 battle what unit and from which country would you chose from? my pick would be the KIWIS these New Zealand boys from mianly the 8th army. so if i had only ten men they would be kiwis
Heh, make that from the Maori battalion - to make it even better have 'em commanded by Charles Upham .
quote:

Originally posted by drake666: People like the Kiwis are not going to be very good in winter condetions and the same for the finnish in jungle conditions.
Not a flame or anything Drake, but just curious as to where you got the impression that the Kiwis weren't particulary good in winter conditions? The Kiwis spent the war in Greece, Africa and Italy - the Aussies had a far greater role in the Pacific than the Kiwis did.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 9
- 8/16/2000 12:20:00 AM   
Elvis

10 United States Marines... ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 10
- 8/16/2000 12:38:00 AM   
Tombstone

How about 10 Guys from the First Special Service Force... Those guys did some mean stuff. Tomo

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 11
- 8/16/2000 1:01:00 AM   
Drake666

Not a flame or anything Drake, but just curious as to where you got the impression that the Kiwis weren't particulary good in winter conditions? The Kiwis spent the war in Greece, Africa and Italy - the Aussies had a far greater role in the Pacific than the Kiwis did. I would not call the winters in them places that hard on anyone. I lived in northern Newfoundland most of my life were they get weather along the lines of Finland and north USSR in the winter. The Kiwis were not trained as far as I know in condetions like that and they never had any experince in weather combat like that.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 12
- 8/16/2000 3:51:00 AM   
clipper69

quote:

Originally posted by Antonius: Thanx for the thousands of Free French died in North Africa, Italy, France and Germany beside english and american soldiers. And thanx too for those who were killed in France by Gestapo or died in Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Ravensbruck and others death camps I'd take ten French cooks: can't win with 10 men but what a great meal before the unavoidable years in a POW camp !
------------------

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 13
- 8/16/2000 6:01:00 AM   
McGib

Ugh Drake. Newfoundland winters! I'd rather remove my kneecaps with a plastic knife than go through another one of those.

Ready Aye Ready

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 14
- 8/16/2000 7:07:00 AM   
Drake666

Will at a early age I got us to climeing out the window so I could dig out the door and at the end of winter it was nice to jump ice pands.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 15
- 8/16/2000 7:49:00 AM   
troopie

Ten men from this forum. We'd argue the opposition. Seriously, 10 SAS. or 10 Jewish partisans if fighting the Jerries. troopie ------------------ Pamwe Chete

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 16
- 8/16/2000 10:19:00 AM   
jwarrenw13

Agree with Elvis. 10 veteran Marines. (And I'm retired Army; can't believe I said that.) Or 10 US Airborne Infantry. They may not be the most "elite," compared to elite units of WWII, but consider what they accomplished. I think they would find a way to win. By the way, I have an uncle who is still living who was a Marine. He was on the Lexington when it was sunk and was wounded on Iwo Jima. Came back home and became an all-purpose appliance/home repairman. He could fix anything until computer chips came along. Can still fix most things. Amazing guy. [This message has been edited by JW (edited August 15, 2000).]

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 17
- 8/16/2000 12:15:00 PM   
Drake666

Will when I look at the war I look at what men had to put up with every day and the fighting they did, not they accomplished. Thats way I look up to the German and Russains who did combat in the East. The fighting in the east made the wast look like a side line. Most of the men who died in WWII did so fighting on the steppes and in the cities of the east.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 18
- 8/16/2000 5:16:00 PM   
StuNZ

quote:

Originally posted by Drake666: I would not call the winters in them places that hard on anyone. I lived in northern Newfoundland most of my life were they get weather along the lines of Finland and north USSR in the winter. The Kiwis were not trained as far as I know in condetions like that and they never had any experince in weather combat like that.
Reading comprehension's a wonderful thing. Maybe one day I'll actually get some . Didn't even think of finland/east front in terms of conditions - just thought Europe/Pacific when I saw winter/jungle - probably because one theatre could have had a huge impact on NZ and the other was where the kiwis fought and died. My bad .

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 19
- 8/16/2000 9:00:00 PM   
Elvis

<<< Agree with Elvis. 10 veteran Marines. (And I'm retired Army; can't believe I said that.) Or 10 US Airborne Infantry >>> I had no choice My family has been "Marine" since 1915. Grandfather (WW1/WW2), 3 great uncles (WW2), father (Korea/Vietnam), uncle (Vietnam), 2 brothers (mid 80s - present day), and myself (1989-97). It was bad enough when I joined the PA Army National Guard after being out for a year... ------------------ alea iacta est [email]sooperduk@hotmail.com[/email]

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. -- George Orwell

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 20
- 8/16/2000 10:40:00 PM   
Dave R

It's not the nation or the arm that the guys come from, it's the character of the guys, so my 10 man squad would have, The grizzled old Sgt, who treats his boys like his own, but will kick their asses when they need it, and who thinks that any officer under the rank of colonel is a brainless cretting to be tollerated. The cheeky cockney, always getting into trouble, and has a perminent boot mark that fits the Grizzled old Sgt's foot exactly, but who always manages to redeam himself in a big way when the **** hits the fan. The ex-collage type, who wants to be an officer, but wants to do it right, a close friend of the cockney, who he thinks will shine when shown the error of his ways. The ex-copper, who hates the cockney and wants the Sgt's job.

In times of war we see the worst that man has to offer. But we also see the best that man has to offer.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 21
- 8/17/2000 1:46:00 AM   
GI Seve

quote:

Originally posted by Dave R: It's not the nation or the arm that the guys come from, it's the character of the guys, so my 10 man squad would have, The grizzled old Sgt, who treats his boys like his own, but will kick their asses when they need it, and who thinks that any officer under the rank of colonel is a brainless cretting to be tollerated. The cheeky cockney, always getting into trouble, and has a perminent boot mark that fits the Grizzled old Sgt's foot exactly, but who always manages to redeam himself in a big way when the **** hits the fan. The ex-collage type, who wants to be an officer, but wants to do it right, a close friend of the cockney, who he thinks will shine when shown the error of his ways. The ex-copper, who hates the cockney and wants the Sgt's job.
OK lets assume we get this great bunch of d00ds to some warzone and then what we get: Bunch of men who have so many conflicts in between them that they will fight more time with each others rather than fighting the real enemies. Ofcourse this is pessimistic wiew of group of very different men coming together... as I don't believe too much on that TV-image wich says all men will become great friends of each other. This was just an opinion and you don't need do start firetalkin about this.It's just another opinion. Oh .. and I would pick 10 genetically alterrated super humans who were just created to fight in any conditions of war may throw at them(with superior training offcourse)

HallelujaaGobble!

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 22
- 8/17/2000 2:50:00 AM   
simba7

I would take Italian troops, so I could always have a good excuse once I lose the battle!

simba7

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 23
- 8/17/2000 11:30:00 AM   
B52g

I would take ten paratroopers, no particular nation. With only ten men, I want men who are used to being surrounded.

John

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 24
- 8/19/2000 9:28:00 AM   
warhead

I'd take Otto Skorzeny,two of his right hand men,Foelkersam and Ostafel,as well as the five NCOs he considered his personal assault group. These 8 plus 2 from the 600 SS fallschirmjaeger battlion that participated in the Budapest operation. These 10 could get it done, whatever it was.And live too.

Backstage at the '76 Mr.Olympia: Serge Nubrut to Arnold "I look like I can take you"...Arnold "keep looking"

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 25
- 8/19/2000 6:30:00 PM   
Raindem

10 lawyers. A few good lawyers can shut down an entire country. And if they are all KIA, no tears are likely to be shed.

Grab them by the balls. Their hearts and minds will follow.

(in reply to crazyivan)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> IF YOU HAD ONLY TEN MEN? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI