Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 12:08:57 AM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Maulet
2-when we finalished the first turn before beginning the battle and movements appears to me (host) this log:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b348/maulet/Altres/fof.jpg

This is an out-of-memory type error. A few days ago I fixed one memory leak in the game that may have been causing this -- there was a way of exiting and reentering the game that didn't deallocate the main map, a very large chunk of memory. Hopefully this will fix that problem.

(in reply to Maulet)
Post #: 31
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 12:11:43 AM   
ericbabe

Good news regarding the "famous" 2nd battle bug... we have been finally able to duplicate it on our LAN.  I'm not sure exactly what things we've changed to be able to duplicate it (I fiddled with a bunch of different settings), but we are now able to reproduce it.  Hopefully it won't be too long before we're able to find the offending code under the debugger.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 32
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 12:59:48 AM   
Maulet

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

Good news regarding the "famous" 2nd battle bug... we have been finally able to duplicate it on our LAN. I'm not sure exactly what things we've changed to be able to duplicate it (I fiddled with a bunch of different settings), but we are now able to reproduce it. Hopefully it won't be too long before we're able to find the offending code under the debugger.

great news eric !!

Then the "famous" error will be fixed in the next patch (end of january)???

The first problem I understand that is fixed for the next patch sure!

Thanks!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 33
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 5:26:46 AM   
ericbabe

I can't be sure that the first problem is the same as the one I fixed, but it is consistent with that one. 

As for the second one, there was a memory location that needed to be set to zero that was not being properly set.... often, however, memory locations will already have a zero in them, whether they do or not depends on how memory is organized on a particular system, so even if the code doesn't properly zero out the memory locations, on some systems this code will still run properly -- this is what seems to have been happening with the second error.

(in reply to Maulet)
Post #: 34
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 7:32:53 AM   
Call Me Earl

Ericbabe,
From my perspective it was difficult to believe that the detailed battle error did not show up in your testing... I stand corrected. Past bad experiences with other games led me to believe I was in for more of the same here (Matrix).

I extend my apology for having called you guys out in another post. I hope now that you have seen the problem it can be resolved in the next patch.

Thank you for your time invested in this matter. Call Me Earl

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 35
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/14/2007 10:04:52 PM   
ericbabe

No problem.  I know it's frustrating to have software that has bugs...

(in reply to Call Me Earl)
Post #: 36
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/15/2007 12:02:06 AM   
ETF

Eric the same errors mentioned above also occur in all our LAN games. Using 4 different machines............No detailed battles the Nov 1861 scenario.
I'm curious has anyone in the beta team playing a LAN game Or TCP/IP games successfully with the box or most recent version?
If so I would love to try one with you?

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 37
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/15/2007 4:01:23 PM   
ericbabe

Over the weekend Erik played on his LAN for four hours or so without any of the assert problems, and I ran tests on our LAN for about eight hours (finally being able to duplicate the crash on 2nd battle bug) without experiencing any of the assert problems (or any other problems, for that matter).  We've got more TCP/IP testing planned this week, both LAN and Internet.

(It is possible for packets to be dropped on a LAN... it's not as likely as over the internet, but I have seen it happen under the debugger.  The libraries we are using, DirectPlay 4.0, do have some known issues with its packet dropping detection/correction routines; in our personal experience, the libraries have worked fine 99% of the time, and we've been able to play long games with them just fine; however, from what I've read about them it does seem that they don't deal with dropped packets very well.  I'll look further into trying to find a fix for this, but migrating to a newer library would be quite a bit of work as DP4.0 has a very different implementation than even other versions of DP.)

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 38
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/17/2007 3:55:14 AM   
Bombsight

I just wanted to log in on this subject. I'm playing solataire with Lieutenant difficulty. I have also experienced the "assertio failed" error message on my second combat. I continue to experience this error on all subsequent detailed combats. I am not playing until this issue is cleared up.

So fix it!

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 39
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/17/2007 4:13:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

Whit,

I'm not clear on something - you said you are playing solitaire but getting an assertion failed message? To confirm, you are getting this message even when not playing a TCP/IP game?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 40
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 1:13:06 AM   
grumpy old man

I have waited several months for the boxed copy and manual and it finally came today.

I install it and then during the game load I get this:

ASSERTION FAILED

Program:...ixGames\ForgeofFreedom\ForgeofFreedom.exe
File:C:\Projects\ACWPlato\Source\fastgraf.cpp
Line:49

Expression:hub!=-2

For information on how your program can cause an assertion failure,
see the Visual C++ documention on asserts

What is wrong and how do I fix this????

(in reply to Call Me Earl)
Post #: 41
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 1:58:36 AM   
Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpy old man

I have waited several months for the boxed copy and manual and it finally came today.

ASSERTION FAILED

I'm not sure if this will help the problem, but be sure to download the first patch, which did resolve some bugs.

(in reply to grumpy old man)
Post #: 42
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 4:31:05 AM   
Bombsight

Eric,
Yes, I play solitaire. In my second detailed battle on the 1861 scenario at Lieutenant level of difficulty, I experienced the 'assertion failed' error. My game locked up and I had to shut off power to reboot. I have been unable to utilize the detailed battle ever since.

I experienced difficulty downloading the game after purchase. It took me three tries and help from Tech Support to finally obtain a good, final download. Could there have been some damage to the programming due to having to uninstall and re-install the game?

I downloaded the first patch at time of purchase (Dec 20th) and loaded the patch immediately after installing the game.

My game equipment is a little older, AMD Duron 800 MB processor, 120 GB hard drive and a Geforce 5700 video card. 

Tactics II

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 43
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 4:35:58 AM   
Bombsight

Eric,
I replied in error incorrectly. My entry is # 43.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 44
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 5:14:57 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi,

quote:

ASSERTION FAILED

At what point exactly during game load does this happen? Please tell us the last thing that you see before the crash. Also, please post a DxDiag file for us per the instructions pinned on top of this forum. Sorry for the inconvenience, we'll work to get this figured out for you so that you can get to playing.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Post #: 45
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 5:16:43 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Whit,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whit
Yes, I play solitaire. In my second detailed battle on the 1861 scenario at Lieutenant level of difficulty, I experienced the 'assertion failed' error. My game locked up and I had to shut off power to reboot. I have been unable to utilize the detailed battle ever since.
I experienced difficulty downloading the game after purchase. It took me three tries and help from Tech Support to finally obtain a good, final download. Could there have been some damage to the programming due to having to uninstall and re-install the game?
I downloaded the first patch at time of purchase (Dec 20th) and loaded the patch immediately after installing the game.
My game equipment is a little older, AMD Duron 800 MB processor, 120 GB hard drive and a Geforce 5700 video card. 

Could you post a DxDiag file for us per the instructions at the top of this forum?

Also, have you tried running in low animation mode (per the instructions in the readme) to see if that helps you get past this, in case it's a memory issue?

To be clear, the game is now working fine EXCEPT when you try to enter detailed battle? If you do that, does it repeat the Assertion failed error or does something else happen?

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 46
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 6:06:38 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ASSERTION FAILED

This is an error caused by the computer's running out of memory. (I reckon I should replace the technical lingo with a more graceful out of memory error.) Assuming you have the recommended 1GB, you should be able to run the game in full animation mode, though you may have to free up some memory by shutting down other processes. Otherwise, you can try running the game in low animation mode and/or with no sound (the instructions for which can be found in the ReadMe file).

Post #: 47
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/18/2007 6:08:43 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Whit,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whit
I experienced difficulty downloading the game after purchase. It took me three tries and help from Tech Support to finally obtain a good, final download. Could there have been some damage to the programming due to having to uninstall and re-install the game?
I downloaded the first patch at time of purchase (Dec 20th) and loaded the patch immediately after installing the game.
My game equipment is a little older, AMD Duron 800 MB processor, 120 GB hard drive and a Geforce 5700 video card.

Could you post a DxDiag file for us per the instructions at the top of this forum?

Also, have you tried running in low animation mode (per the instructions in the readme) to see if that helps you get past this, in case it's a memory issue?

To be clear, the game is now working fine EXCEPT when you try to enter detailed battle? If you do that, does it repeat the Assertion failed error or does something else happen?

Yes, please try running in low animation / no sound modes to help ascertain whether this is a low memory issue; there is quite a bit of new memory allocation at the beginning of a detailed battle.

Post #: 48
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/19/2007 3:05:01 AM   
Bombsight

Erik,
Attached is the DxDiag that I ran this evening. The sequence of events that I experience is as follows:

Upon selecting the detailed battle and terrain, the battleground view opens up. Clarity is fine and on the thumbnail in the lower right corner I see the reduced battlefield and red and blue colors to signify the initial set up of units. Immediately, a small warning box appears for a brief instant with a message about tile fill. The small box dissappears and is replaced by a large caution box with the Assertion Failed! text. When trying the "retry" tab, the game terminates.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Whit -- 1/19/2007 3:17:25 AM >

Post #: 49
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/19/2007 6:16:16 AM   
zyk0001

I'm also having repeated "Assertion failed" while playing single player.  It happens when I end turn.

"Assertion failed
Program: ...ix Games\Forge of Freedom.exe
File: c\projects\acwplato\header\lists.h
Expression: i<index"

I've added the dxdiag file.

Mike

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by zyk0001 -- 1/19/2007 6:49:40 AM >

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 50
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/20/2007 8:00:16 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: zyk0001
"Assertion failed
Program: ...ix Games\Forge of Freedom.exe
File: c\projects\acwplato\header\lists.h
Expression: i<index"

Haven't seen that before; it's a problem in one of the linked-list implementations. Did it report the line number of lists.h?

Are you using V1.2.3? Would you mind zipping your save game files (.sve and .rep) and sending them to me at ericbabe@west-civ.com? Thanks.

(in reply to zyk0001)
Post #: 51
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/21/2007 7:27:23 AM   
zyk0001

I'm using 1.2.3.

Sorry I neglected to put the line number in my previous message.

Line: 102

I'll send the save game files.

Mike

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 52
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/23/2007 12:33:06 AM   
ETF

quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

(It is possible for packets to be dropped on a LAN... it's not as likely as over the internet, but I have seen it happen under the debugger.  The libraries we are using, DirectPlay 4.0, do have some known issues with its packet dropping detection/correction routines; in our personal experience, the libraries have worked fine 99% of the time, and we've been able to play long games with them just fine; however, from what I've read about them it does seem that they don't deal with dropped packets very well.  I'll look further into trying to find a fix for this, but migrating to a newer library would be quite a bit of work as DP4.0 has a very different implementation than even other versions of DP.)

So it is possible this bug might not be fixed as it might never get fixed due to the amount of work migrating to a newer library?

< Message edited by ETF -- 1/23/2007 2:11:02 AM >

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 53
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/23/2007 2:54:16 AM   
Bombsight

I have downloaded 1.2.3

Tactics II

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 54
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 1/25/2007 12:14:53 AM   
ETF

So does it help with TCP/IP or LAN assertion errors?

ooops jsut realized that this is not the new patch...................disregard.

< Message edited by ETF -- 1/25/2007 12:28:28 AM >

Twitter

(in reply to Bombsight)
Post #: 55
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 2/8/2007 6:15:19 AM   
Scipio666

So whats the final word on this? Is it gonna get fixed or do we just bend over and kiss our money good bye. I dont really care either way just wonder if i need to bother to keep reading this forum.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 56
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 2/9/2007 6:37:23 PM   
Texas D

My friend and I also get the assertion error after second battle using TCP connection, just like Call Me Earl.

(in reply to Scipio666)
Post #: 57
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 2/10/2007 5:56:36 AM   
Scipio666

Everyone gets it. The game doesnt work and they advertise it like it does. Very stupid I will never buy another one of their games again and anyone that would that doesnt play singleplayer only is stupid. I mean just say the game is single player only instead of ****ing us out of money who cares.

(in reply to Texas D)
Post #: 58
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 2/10/2007 6:00:11 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scipio666
So whats the final word on this? Is it gonna get fixed or do we just bend over and kiss our money good bye. I dont really care either way just wonder if i need to bother to keep reading this forum.

I believe it's fixed, but the fix is part of the next patch, which includes many other improvements and has taken a bit longer than planned. If you e-mail me at erikr@matrixgames.com, I can arrange for a beta version that you and your opponent can give a try.

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 2/10/2007 6:13:12 AM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scipio666)
Post #: 59
RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! - 2/10/2007 6:01:03 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Scipio666
Everyone gets it. The game doesnt work and they advertise it like it does. Very stupid I will never buy another one of their games again and anyone that would that doesnt play singleplayer only is stupid. I mean just say the game is single player only instead of ****ing us out of money who cares.

I believe that as it turned out, no, everyone does not get it. In any case, it _should_ be fixed as far as I know.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Scipio666)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Forge of Freedom - Support >> RE: TCP/IP Assertion Failed! Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI