Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ETA on the Patch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> ETA on the Patch Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ETA on the Patch - 2/3/2007 11:10:57 PM   
Johnus

I put the game aside to wait for the second patch. The retreat bug was a show stopper for me. That was about 6 weeks ago. I understand that more and more improvements have been included in the patch, but if it isn't ever issued, what's the point ?
Post #: 1
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/3/2007 11:15:32 PM   
Gil R.

It will most definitely be issued. Programming for it is winding down, and it's just a matter of testing it, and making tweaks here and there as needed.

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 2
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/4/2007 7:31:15 PM   
parusski

OUCH. My wife just smacked me on the head because I played FOF for 8 hours last night, till 4:15 this morning. But guess what? The head injury gave me a special vision: THE UPDATE WILL BE DONE-----WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/4/2007 8:17:55 PM   
Titanwarrior89

I am wondering what the historical campaign will look like.

< Message edited by Titanwarrior89 -- 2/4/2007 8:30:57 PM >

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 4
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/4/2007 8:43:35 PM   
ETF

So check in maybe in about 2 weeks time would be fair?

< Message edited by ETF -- 2/4/2007 8:56:10 PM >

My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 5
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/4/2007 10:22:01 PM   
Gil R.

No promises, but you should possibly check in sooner.

(in reply to ETF)
Post #: 6
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/5/2007 10:29:00 AM   
christof139

quote:

OUCH. My wife just smacked me on the head because I played FOF for 8 hours last night, till 4:15 this morning. But guess what? The head injury gave me a special vision: THE UPDATE WILL BE DONE-----WHEN IT IS FINISHED.

That's hilarious!!! Chris

(in reply to parusski)
Post #: 7
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/5/2007 8:26:03 PM   
ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

The big four things we've done so far are:
1) Combed over the generals file to enter actual (rather than year-based) start dates and to correct other errors. Starting generals at the proper starting rank for the scenario and in the proper province.

2) Went back to our old economic data based on the 1860 census -- changes to the basic economic numbers as well as some starting buildings and population levels.

3) Made CSA troop levels closer to the minimal numbers in the error ranges we found rather than near the maximal ends of those limits as we'd done previously. (For instance, if the West Point Atlas of the Civil War said there were 20,000-40,000 CSA troops in an area, previously we'd have given them almost 40,000. We'll now be giving them closer to 25,000.)

4) Removed all CSA regular navy.

I've not been able to find concise firearm data for the OOBs -- if anyone knows of a resource that would tell me how many of each type of firearm each military group might have had in 1861 I'd greatly appreciate such a thing. My guess is that such a table might not exist, since the data I have been able to find on this in general has been a bit scant.

Post #: 8
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/5/2007 11:04:31 PM   
Gil R.

I should add that the work on making the generals database more accurate will benefit all current and future scenarios, not just the "historical" one.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 9
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/6/2007 12:32:16 AM   
Titanwarrior89

Sounds great. Thanks for the hard work. I do like the changes your making with the Generals(ranks, start dates). I think overall it will enhance a already Great game.
quote:

ORIGINAL: ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

The big four things we've done so far are:
1) Combed over the generals file to enter actual (rather than year-based) start dates and to correct other errors. Starting generals at the proper starting rank for the scenario and in the proper province.

2) Went back to our old economic data based on the 1860 census -- changes to the basic economic numbers as well as some starting buildings and population levels.

3) Made CSA troop levels closer to the minimal numbers in the error ranges we found rather than near the maximal ends of those limits as we'd done previously. (For instance, if the West Point Atlas of the Civil War said there were 20,000-40,000 CSA troops in an area, previously we'd have given them almost 40,000. We'll now be giving them closer to 25,000.)

4) Removed all CSA regular navy.

I've not been able to find concise firearm data for the OOBs -- if anyone knows of a resource that would tell me how many of each type of firearm each military group might have had in 1861 I'd greatly appreciate such a thing. My guess is that such a table might not exist, since the data I have been able to find on this in general has been a bit scant.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 10
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/6/2007 9:48:41 AM   
christof139

Oh poodle-doodle. The CSA could have one itty-bitty teeny-weeny gunboat-ram fleet on the miss. River at New Orleans or memphis. Heck, they river fleets they did have were a great concern to the USA, when coupled with shore fortifications and batteries.

Maybe make a CSA River Gunboat/Ram unit less strong than a USA one, maybe 50% as strong, and a bit shorter time and cost to build it.

We all have  bit of Navel in us you know.

I know, bad pun.

Chris

Post #: 11
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/6/2007 5:12:21 PM   
General Quarters

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

We all have  bit of Navel in us you know.

I know, bad pun.

Chris

Oh, Christof, based on your previous posts, I had put you on a pedestal. Now this! O, how far you have fallen!

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 12
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/7/2007 11:53:36 AM   
christof139

Thanx for the pedestal, it sure beats the soap box I have been using down at the park, but it's heavier to carry.

Chris

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 13
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/8/2007 9:10:01 PM   
Wahoo

Ok serious, it's been long enough already, stop at verision 1.5 er whatever and let's get back to playing...geez!

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 14
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/8/2007 9:14:49 PM   
Gil R.

Sadly, it's not that simple. Some of the changes we've made require that other changes be made. For example, lots of people don't like the AI trenches "cheat," so we've reduced their role, but now we have to find other ways to help the AI in detailed battle. When it comes to programming games, changes will often create the need for various other changes. So that's where we're at: not really adding anything new that's major, but trying to put the patient back together after the operation.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 15
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/8/2007 11:20:22 PM   
Curious

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wahoo

Ok serious, it's been long enough already, stop at verision 1.5 er whatever and let's get back to playing...geez!

Geez...do you want them to do a good job or a fast job? A good job usually turns out more satisfactorily in the long run than a fast job. It will be well worth the wait when it arrives.

CB

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 16
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/8/2007 11:49:42 PM   
Hard Sarge

LOL Gil, if the room had ears, it could tell some stories

I know, I spent 17 hours in the game the other day, and I am about to crank up the new patch and start bugging everybody all over again

but really guys, it is not as easy as it may seem, just a little change here or there and everything goes out the window

Eric is working, Gil is working, Pencil (think he sleeping someplace) and I on Vaction, so I been working

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 17
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 3:10:06 AM   
Johnus

Seven ? weeks;  and counting.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 18
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 4:05:38 AM   
Wahoo

Yup

(in reply to Johnus)
Post #: 19
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 9:13:49 AM   
Jonathan Palfrey

Patience is a virtue.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 20
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 12:18:23 PM   
Curious

Patience is a sign of maturity.

(in reply to Jonathan Palfrey)
Post #: 21
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 12:41:44 PM   
Greyhunterlp

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curious

Patience is a sign of maturity.

unfortunatly most forum goers have neither.

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 22
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 4:56:48 PM   
Wahoo

Wrong...well maybe, just the angry people are more vocal and most people are not Farmers. Like myself waiting 2wks....3wks. Well don't worry I'll just play Total war...I'll just play Space Empires V....gee I want a challanging game worth the money I spent...something with a historical background...maybe(not really a maybe, b/c it is) the best civil war game to date...

let me check on the patch...nope....sniff, back to Total War....4wks, 5wks...still nothing....back to playing Europa Univerisalis III....6wks...now 7wks still.  So yeah, my patience is....gone.

(in reply to Greyhunterlp)
Post #: 23
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 5:50:37 PM   
Titanwarrior89

How do you like EU3? It is some what historical. Just started playing it my self.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Wahoo

Wrong...well maybe, just the angry people are more vocal and most people are not Farmers. Like myself waiting 2wks....3wks. Well don't worry I'll just play Total war...I'll just play Space Empires V....gee I want a challanging game worth the money I spent...something with a historical background...maybe(not really a maybe, b/c it is) the best civil war game to date...

let me check on the patch...nope....sniff, back to Total War....4wks, 5wks...still nothing....back to playing Europa Univerisalis III....6wks...now 7wks still.  So yeah, my patience is....gone.

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 24
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 9:20:47 PM   
Wahoo

It's ok. Some problems with history like basically the new world is completely colonized by 1520. But then you don't get always the historic leaders which is great, adds some unpredictability to the game.  It needs some patching but very playable. I'm going to try and create the Mugal Empire myself.

Post #: 25
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/10/2007 9:29:41 PM   
Alan_Bernardo

I don't mind waiting.  This could be Empire in Arms, and then where would we be.  Or we could be waiting on EA, which is quite content to release a game and then be done with it.  The changes being made in FoF are for the better and are what the public wants.  It's not like this changes are something that can be done overnight.

Show a little patience and when the patch is released, it is released.

Alanb

(in reply to Wahoo)
Post #: 26
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 1:32:26 AM   
freeboy

Please release it nothaving it is costing me ! lets see.. Panzer commander, and Boa and Battle Front.. hum, now wait one minute that is too much..
Anyway they are all Matrix approved and I would say that when fully developed PC will be very good.. BoA is as fun as Forge for me, interesting and differnt.. try the demo.. and bf is still an unknown but like most(all) of the SSG title they only truly shine with the dozen or so user made add ons that fill our Hard drives! SO COME ON I wantto hear some rat a tat tat and " FIRE" truly this game is in the top of its genre, BRAVO and take my post as impatience not a plea for anything other than your best! I know you will come through.

(in reply to Alan_Bernardo)
Post #: 27
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 2:04:55 AM   
General Quarters

While patience is indeed a virtue, our impatience is a tribute to our interest in the game. A woman would rather be sought with ardor than with patience.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 28
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 3:07:30 AM   
Curious

We're getting awfully "psychological" here. It obviously depends on how a person "handles" their impatience. It can be done maturely or immaturely. And comparing a woman to a computer wargame patch is a "stretch" -- to put it mildly (maybe it depends on the woman).

CB

(in reply to General Quarters)
Post #: 29
RE: ETA on the Patch - 2/11/2007 3:58:14 AM   
Wahoo

or the game.

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> ETA on the Patch Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI