Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Standardized Artwork Set

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Standardized Artwork Set Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/4/2007 1:42:02 AM   
undercovergeek

sexy looking ships - top work

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 151
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/4/2007 2:58:29 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: J Boomer

Will there be two sets? One with and one without cammo?

Actually Boomer, not .. really. Having said that the better answer is .. yes .. kinda.

At the risk of repeating myself, this project is in response to a customer request; a standardized art set where all the art is 'consistent', in that it has similar hue and brightness characteristics, has a uniform 'relative scale', and is generally uniform in color, in that the detail of each ship is clearly visible and she is identifyable on a uniform background set.

Other styles are valid, but irrelevant. This is what the customer requested and the customer has declined to entertain other depictions. I must say I agree with the customer. I like having a basis from which all things evolve.

Phase 1 of the project is to create a 'stock' art replacement set that uses the talents of the WiTP artistic community to develop an art set that can replace the 'official' images. That is being done.

For phase 2 we have been asked to expand our work to accommodate, for example, CHS, add ships, add upgrade options, all dependant on the imperitives of the database. This will necessarily include some repainting.

Phase x involves the individuals who have contributed to this project. We are all willing and able to create a 'beaut' for ourselves, and make her available to all of you. This is on an individual basis. It is nice to have a standardized, scaled, set from which to work. It makes life very easy.

For example, below are 3 Baltimores. It took me 17 seconds to do a measure 41 paint job on her and 31 seconds to do the atrocious dazzle job. If I took about 2 minutes, I would have squared all the edges and made it look better, but the thrust of this is that overlaying a 'cammo' pattern on one of our standard ships is 'so easy a caveman could do it'.

Long answer to your question, but necessary I think. This project isn't a cammo v not-cammo issue, and I wish the contention would cease. It is peurile and unnecessary. Later-war images can be (and absolutely will be) easily accommodated by once the basis designs are completed.

JWE

Attachment (1)

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 152
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/4/2007 11:57:50 AM   
JSBoomer

I actually prefer the non camo ship shides JWE, however some of the ship sides shown thus far have camo so I was wondering is all. For me there is no contention, I think what you guys are is great and am eagerly looking forward to the finnished results. As for the caveman comment, thanks, now I feel like the guy in the Geico (sp?) commercials. I agree with the idea of a standardized set and appreciate that those of you with some talent are sharing your work with those of us who are not artists. My question was not ment to be an advocation of camo vs non-camo; the camo pics on the thread had me wondering. Thank you for the update on what you fellows are working on though, I'm glad to hear that CHS and others will be added to the set as well. Keep up the great work, do them however you wish (beggers cannot be choosers) , and thank you for all the time you guys have put into this project. And stop trying to obfuscate the situation with strange words like peurile.
As I said earlier, your project is great, can't wait to see the finnished product.

Thanks

Attachment (1)

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 153
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/4/2007 12:38:12 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Last year I posted this to main forum and to wish list... I hope/wish something like this can be easily adopted... it would be great eye-candy...

What if the Joe and Don would change the code to allow several pictures for same ship class?

In other words something very simple can be used:

If there is just one picture used for ship class - that picture would be used all the time (i.e. as it is now):

AnSidexxxx.bmp
AnShilxxxx.bmp
JnSidexxxx.bmp
JnShilxxxx.nmp

NOTE: xxxx is number corresponding to the ship class in question.

If there are more than one picture used for ship class - then pictures would be used according to date added to file name:

AnSidexxxxDDMMYY.bmp
AnShilxxxxDDMMYY.bmp
JnSidexxxxDDMMYY.bmp
JnShilxxxxDDMMYY.nmp

NOTE: xxxx is number corresponding to the ship class in question.

If date is reached then the appropriate picture is used (DD = day, MM = month , YY = year)!

Simple and effective!!!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 154
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/4/2007 6:47:14 PM   
JWE

quote:

I actually prefer the non camo ship shides JWE, however some of the ship sides shown thus far have camo so I was wondering is all. For me there is no contention, I think what you guys are is great and am eagerly looking forward to the finnished results. As for the caveman comment, thanks, now I feel like the guy in the Geico (sp?) commercials. I agree with the idea of a standardized set and appreciate that those of you with some talent are sharing your work with those of us who are not artists. My question was not ment to be an advocation of camo vs non-camo; the camo pics on the thread had me wondering. Thank you for the update on what you fellows are working on though, I'm glad to hear that CHS and others will be added to the set as well. Keep up the great work, do them however you wish (beggers cannot be choosers) , and thank you for all the time you guys have put into this project. And stop trying to obfuscate the situation with strange words like peurile.
As I said earlier, your project is great, can't wait to see the finnished product.

Thanks

Hi Boomer,

I understand, now, where you are coming from. My only point was that we are in a particular mode right now, fulfilling a particular customer request. As soon as that's done, the individuals will make other versions because it's 'caveman easy' for us to do so. I know TomLabel, for example, likes to have lots of different BB pics. So don't despair; the present run is just episcapatory.

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 155
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/5/2007 2:26:58 PM   
undercovergeek

are we nearly there yet?????

are there some plans for IJN btw???

Great looking work

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 156
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/5/2007 11:57:36 PM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

are we nearly there yet?????

are there some plans for IJN btw???

Great looking work

Yes.

Yes.

Thanks.

We're done with the ship art. What we have to do now is evaluate the background set and determine which ship goes on what background. This has turned out to be almost as important as the ship art itself. Background color level, location of cloud patterns, contrast tilt and height, all play a part in 'showing' a ship well. Each of the ships are looked at with respect to 8 slightly different backgrounds and the best one chosen. Time consuming, yes, but ultimately satisfying (I hope). Output is a matter of days (not weeks). Patience is a virtue, Prudence is a girl in Riverside.

Ciao. JWE

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 157
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/6/2007 2:43:32 AM   
Cathartes

I have never cared much for the girl in Riverside but her sister that is a virtue is tolerable if you know what you're getting.  In this case we know what we're getting and we are most pleased. 

Yes, ultimately satisfying. Certainty eclipses Hope in this case(who would otherwise makes us anxious).  Hope would be distantly related to Prudence though she often leads us astray or causes us to go blind.

Thank you, thank you for this collective effort.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 158
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/6/2007 3:38:25 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

quote:

Will there be two sets? One with and one without cammo?

Actually Boomer, not .. really. Having said that the better answer is .. yes .. kinda.

At the risk of repeating myself, this project is in response to a customer request; a standardized art set where all the art is 'consistent', in that it has similar hue and brightness characteristics, has a uniform 'relative scale', and is generally uniform in color, in that the detail of each ship is clearly visible and she is identifyable on a uniform background set.

Other styles are valid, but irrelevant. This is what the customer requested and the customer has declined to entertain other depictions. I must say I agree with the customer. I like having a basis from which all things evolve.

Phase 1 of the project is to create a 'stock' art replacement set that uses the talents of the WiTP artistic community to develop an art set that can replace the 'official' images. That is being done.

For phase 2 we have been asked to expand our work to accommodate, for example, CHS, add ships, add upgrade options, all dependant on the imperitives of the database. This will necessarily include some repainting.

Phase x involves the individuals who have contributed to this project. We are all willing and able to create a 'beaut' for ourselves, and make her available to all of you. This is on an individual basis. It is nice to have a standardized, scaled, set from which to work. It makes life very easy.

For example, below are 3 Baltimores. It took me 17 seconds to do a measure 41 paint job on her and 31 seconds to do the atrocious dazzle job. If I took about 2 minutes, I would have squared all the edges and made it look better, but the thrust of this is that overlaying a 'cammo' pattern on one of our standard ships is 'so easy a caveman could do it'.

Long answer to your question, but necessary I think. This project isn't a cammo v not-cammo issue, and I wish the contention would cease. It is peurile and unnecessary. Later-war images can be (and absolutely will be) easily accommodated by once the basis designs are completed.

JWE

Wow! Now that's what a ship side should look like, much better than those stock blobs! Nice camo job BTW also!

I'm glad you guys are doing this project. Matrix needs to hire you all to do the art for the next incarnation of WitP (yes I'm still hoping and praying that a new improved WitP comes out).

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 159
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/6/2007 10:30:50 AM   
undercovergeek

reassuring to know each and every aspect is been honed and perfected.

i have a generic background i usually use, and some flags i usually add on - i wait with patience - shes nice

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 160
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/8/2007 3:06:16 AM   
JWE

Come gather round people, wherever you roam
And admit that the waters, around you have grown
And accept it that soon, you'll be drenched to the bone
If your eyes to you are worth savin
Then you better start DL'n or you'll sink like a stone
For the Aaaart' it is a chaaa . 'en .ging

Done with the Sides, cranking on the Shils. Expect to have a package out to Monsieur le Spook and the Rogue by the end of the week. Someone new for you to pester.

Thank you all for your patience, I hope the results will justify the wait. Once again, thank you. Taste below.

JWE

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JWE -- 2/8/2007 3:19:39 AM >

Post #: 161
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/8/2007 3:24:20 AM   
Big B

quote:

Done with the Sides, cranking on the Shils. Expect to have a package out to Monsieur le Spook and the Rogue by the end of the week. Someone new for you to pester.

Thank you all for your patience, I hope the results will justify the wait. Once again, thank you. Taste below.

JWE

The answer my friend, - ain't blowen' in the wind,

The answer ain't blowen' in the wind..

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 162
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/8/2007 6:42:46 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

JWE

I really like what you've done here!
Lookin good!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 163
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/8/2007 5:50:37 PM   
Philodraco

very nice work everyoneII also wish this someone standardize the set of WPO.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 164
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/10/2007 10:01:55 PM   
JWE

Whew, he said while trying to un-cross his eyeballs.

OK, finished. Doing the final visual check and running the art set in a game to make sure there aren't any "pink-eye" problems, etc...

Files are huge; zipped, the 'sides' alone are 3.75 Mb. The package has the usual folders; Art, with subfolders AlliedShips_Back, AlliedShip_Transp. Folder organization is a bit disjoint, because of size issues, so there is a 'ReadMe' in the top level of every zip file. Please read. Replacing the std game art files is pretty straightforward, but you should read the ReadMe.

There are some 'enhancements' included; additional art files that will not impact any game in progress. I decided to add some 'Allied" ships (APs, AKs, TKs) to unused 'std' game bit maps corresponding to the ship class slot locations. These are in a separate file, with their own instruction set; if you don't want 'em, don't use 'em, but they are there for dl if you wish.

There were over 220 images in this set, including the 'enhancement' ships. I know the Japanese are next, but please let us recover our eyesight a bit, first. They will happen, and soon, but we aren't in a position to give a firm commit date just yet.

Plan to ship everything off to Spooky and the Rogue this evening, or first thing in the morning (California time) Sunday. So start looking.

JWE

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 165
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/10/2007 10:04:13 PM   
Terminus

Lookin' forward to it!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 166
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 1:02:59 AM   
BigJ62

Excellent !!!!

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 167
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 1:36:10 AM   
Halsey

After you zip these, you can delete the db file in the zip.
It's not needed , and it's deletion reduces the zip size considerably.

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 168
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 2:12:48 AM   
Cathartes

Standing ovation for a rapid completion.  I'm impressed with the efficiency and quality.  If we were at the pub it would be drinks for the lot of ya!

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 169
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 2:47:20 AM   
undercovergeek

here, here!!!

Dedication that is - thanks guys

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 170
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 2:54:58 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cathartes

Standing ovation for a rapid completion.  I'm impressed with the efficiency and quality.  If we were at the pub it would be drinks for the lot of ya!

Kelley(TomLabel)'s a bad boy from Alabama and too far away, but Brian(BigB) and I are just down the road in SoCal. As long as it's not farther than Victorville, you name the pub. Since you are buying, I drink Sam Adams, Urquell Pilsen, or Harp. I'm sure B can find a good esoteric brau to sock you for. I'll give ya your own personal hard copy CD-ROM.

JWE

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 171
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 3:20:23 AM   
JWE

Done. Shipped.

JWE

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 172
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 3:31:55 AM   
undercovergeek

quote:

Done. Shipped.

JWE

As in its with spooky and rogue now???

its 1:30am in the uk, you couldnt poke them and ask them to set it up now before mrs.undercover wakes up and hits me could you

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 173
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 5:35:45 AM   
JWE

quote:

ORIGINAL: undercovergeek

quote:

Done. Shipped.

JWE

As in its with spooky and rogue now???

its 1:30am in the uk, you couldnt poke them and ask them to set it up now before mrs.undercover wakes up and hits me could you

Yes, the email was sent, and apparently went through to both of them. It's up to them now. They are both very diligent. I do not dare poke either one of them; you had better either get undercover or else mrs.undercover will have at you severely about the head and shoulders.

Ciao. JWE

Post #: 174
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/11/2007 4:53:46 PM   
undercovergeek

too late, caught, chastised and severely ignored for explaining why i was waiting up

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 175
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/13/2007 3:46:24 AM   
JSBoomer

I just down downloaded the Standardized Artwork set from Spookys, it is absolutely outstanding! Great work guys! Do you think you might add the CHS ships? Thanks alot guys, I'm looking forward for the the Japanese set.

Jordan S. Bujtas
Deas Gu Cath

Post #: 176
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/13/2007 4:27:26 AM   
JWE

quote:

I just down downloaded the Standardized Artwork set from Spookys, it is absolutely outstanding! Great work guys! Do you think you might add the CHS ships? Thanks alot guys, I'm looking forward for the the Japanese set.

Thank you much. CHS is on the horizon, somewhere. Here's a sneak preview of some JP ships.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by JWE -- 2/13/2007 4:40:44 AM >

(in reply to JSBoomer)
Post #: 177
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/13/2007 5:49:35 AM   
Halsey

They look great.

DL'd the standard set to have a look.

You guys didn't do full hulls on sub shils.
Was there a reason?

Fremens full hulled subs are awesome in the combat animation screens.
I can't go back to the half hulled animations for subs.
You see more of these combats than any other in the game.

Any chance this will get rectified?

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 178
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/13/2007 7:30:53 AM   
Philodraco

Handsome looking ships, great works!

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 179
RE: Standardized Artwork Set - 2/13/2007 10:41:42 AM   
BigJ62

Ok noticed a small problem, shouldn't the backs be named AnSidexxxx.bmp instead of AnShipxxxx.bmp?

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to Philodraco)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> RE: Standardized Artwork Set Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI