Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Allied tactics questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Allied tactics questions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Allied tactics questions - 2/13/2007 5:53:40 PM   
shangrila

Has there been an observable advantage or disadvantage as the Allies early in a game (beginning stages) to:
a) Evacuate as much as possible from DEI, Singapore, and PI while leaving enough to stall the Jap advance, or in not evac-ing?

b)If Evacuating is it more adventagous to ty to build DEI up with these units or get them to the rear (say India or Columbo)

c)Is it more preferable or adventagous to build up Pacific Bases with US units or attempt to get them to Aus or even DEI or is it to more beneficial to wait build and attack en masse after the Japs have taken what they are going to take. (Basically playing the attack / counter attack for Isles and atolls)

What is the allied consensus on opening game strategy right now. (PBEM)
Thanks!

Post #: 1
RE: Allied tactics questions - 2/13/2007 6:45:49 PM   
niceguy2005

First I would have to ask are you playing the AI or PBEM? I playing the AI I would fight it tooth and nail. If playing a human opponent you need to be a little more cautious.

quote:

Evacuate as much as possible from DEI, Singapore, and PI while leaving enough to stall the Jap advance, or in not evac-ing?

The forces in this area are barely strong enough to slow down the Japanese as is. If you evacuate the key units they won't be much of a speed bump. I would use political points to move them around.

quote:

If Evacuating is it more adventagous to ty to build DEI up with these units or get them to the rear (say India or Columbo)

Some players even in PBEM have managed to save Java or Timor. Don't pull too far back.

quote:

Is it more preferable or adventagous to build up Pacific Bases with US units or attempt to get them to Aus or even DEI or is it to more beneficial to wait build and attack en masse after the Japs have taken what they are going to take. (Basically playing the attack / counter attack for Isles and atolls)

You MUST secure your line of communication to Australia. Plus, retaking an atoll is a bloody mess and a slow endevour, as was Tarawa IRL. Don't give up the islands without a fight, but place your units wisely and make sure where you fight you can fight well.

Artwork graciously provided by Dixie

(in reply to shangrila)
Post #: 2
RE: Allied tactics questions - 2/13/2007 9:55:50 PM   
AHFlattop

I would also add a couple of observations for PBEM games (Against AI, you're holding Java and counterattacking Borneo and Sumatra by Aug '42 and sunk 2/3 of JA fleet) 

First, watch where JA is focusing after Pearl.

If JA goes after India in a big way hold and defend Java, Timor and Ambiona, Guadalcanal.  Look at counterattaching into the Gilberts early.

If JA tries to cut Aus lifeline to Pearl / West Coast, it becomes more difficult to hold onto Java as Aus is more directly threatened.

If JA focuses on SRA then everything falls pretty quickly.

Problem is that ABDA tries to defend everything and in the end hold nothing.  I try to concentrate on a few areas and abandon others.  I try to institute a fall back defence using sub transport and a few AKs to evacuate forward bases.   I also try to make use of all resources such as sub minelaying and air supply to keep the defence going.  Preserve your air units and focus on JA transports and with luck the allies would have made JA bleed.

I think JA must capture Java, Timor, Ambiona to win the game. 

(in reply to niceguy2005)
Post #: 3
RE: Allied tactics questions - 2/14/2007 5:37:46 AM   
Yamato hugger

My .02 for what its worth:

Malaya will fall.

Dutch East Indies will fall.

Phillipine Islands will fall.

Whats the difference WHEN they fall? If they fall in January or June, no difference. The oil will be piling up by the Dutch ready for when Japan stops in to pick it up. Needless to say, I prefer to pull out as much as I can from everywhere. Why give the Jap the kill points for those troops when you can pull them out and use them to make India / Australia that much harder to take? AND you have more troops to use when the counter attack comes later in 42. The advantages in pulling them out far outweigh the minor effect of a delay of a month or 2.

I have seen a lot of players lately as the allies fight tooth and nail with the Dutch airforce also. Net result seems to be maybe a loss of 10 ships total for which the Japs get some valuable training for their fighter pilots. The Dutch dont really benefit from the training, because by the time the allied player pulls them out, there is nothing left of them. Again, long term, it isnt worth doing. Pull them out also, especially the "worthless" recon squadrons.

To quote Monty Python: "RUN AWAY!!"

(in reply to AHFlattop)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Allied tactics questions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI