Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pass Blocking Issues

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Pass Blocking Issues Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pass Blocking Issues - 2/16/2007 4:22:56 AM   
quixian

I've been browsing the forums here for a little bit after finally taking the plunge on this game, but didn't see any mention of the issue that I've had after upgrading with the latest patch and actually seeing the same thing in 1.3.139 also.

Whether I am playing coach or arcade mode, I am having big-time issues with the CPU pass blocking, especially on 3rd and long. I am picking up way way too many sacks - it seems like the pass blocking is not strong enough and/or the CPU is not reading the D well enough or quickly enough. I did play a few games pre-patch and never had these issues. Yes, scoring was easier on both sides but the CPU could move the ball thru the air. Now, they never stand a chance as I'm up in their grill way too fast.

I'm playing U.S. rules and using the default league and default plays. I tried using David's modifed constants.dat to improve the passing game that I saw posted somewhere on here, but that did not help. Anyone have any suggestions to help??
Post #: 1
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/16/2007 6:07:51 AM   
nmleague

The plays could be part of the problem, OT with pass blocking logic are terriblel at pass blocking.  For the plays/playbooks that I have done I always give the OT block nearest logic.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 2
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/16/2007 6:16:23 AM   
Deft

The most common problem is the QB completes his progressions before any receivers are looking for the ball so he's stuck with his last receiver who is probably covered and he's either scrambling or he's sacked. This is a play design issue. I was hoping with this release most of the beta testers would release updated default playbooks.

Try my playbook from the MLF. It has more refined plays than the default.

http://www.blindsideblitz.com/forums/showpost.php?p=246516&postcount=15

I also have a spread offense on Spread1.0.zip on FBMax.com

< Message edited by Deft -- 2/16/2007 6:30:49 AM >

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 3
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/17/2007 12:24:38 AM   
quixian

Thanks guys.  I'll try both your suggestions, as both would seem to play a part in the issues I've been seeing.

Implementing the "block nearest" command in the plays I imagine should help with the all-out pocket collapses I have seen from time to time.  They happen just a bit more frequently then I'd like - the ball gets snapped, then the pocket collapses almost instantaneously.  The QB has nowhere to scramble as there are defenders breaking toward him from multiple angles.

I also feel that some plays that have short "quick hitter" routes or outlet targets might help the issue, so the QB can go through rapid progressions rather than look for the bomb, as many of the default plays have the receivers going deep down the field.

So, I'm hoping to find both suggestions useful.  I've really been enjoying the game thus far and this is the only real headache I have had.  MaxFB has come a long way from Winter Valley's first PC football release (CFL 99), which I can proudly say I purchased many years ago, to the solid game engine I am seeing today.  Thanks again for the help!

< Message edited by quixian -- 2/17/2007 12:38:15 AM >

(in reply to Deft)
Post #: 4
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/17/2007 3:23:48 AM   
Marauders

We were looking at offensive and defensive line play on the developer board, but I don't recall any changes being made to the code yet.

As Deft stated, some of the older plays in the playbooks did not have full progressions, as it was not in the game when the plays were created, and that can be a problem.

I have created plays where the offensive line is better, so it can be done, and there may be a small change to allow for creating a better pocket in the future, but it is not in the game on this build.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 5
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/19/2007 1:10:14 AM   
quixian

Thanks again for the assistance everyone.  It appears that the problems were indeed with the stock plays not playing well with the updated game engine.  The average passing plays were just taking far too long to progress, causing the CPU QB massive confusion when facing blitzes or deep zone coverage.  I've put together a playbook using some of the more refined plays out there (on fbmax.com, as well as Deft's fantastic Ladder plays linked above) and now the CPU is handling pressure far better overall.  Some running plays work a little TOO well with the latest build, so I've removed them from my own personal playbook for the time being.  Now that I feel comfortable with the gameplay again, it's time to work on some rosters!

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 6
RE: Pass Blocking Issues - 2/20/2007 7:38:55 AM   
Marauders

Also note that teams that run many pass plays will have their linemen fatigue more quickly, and this will degrade blocking.

(in reply to quixian)
Post #: 7
Hmmm - 10/7/2007 8:43:20 PM   
BCtheQB

what is the logical basis for accelerated fatigue for OL on pass plays
it is far more physically taxing to run block than pass block

fatigue........OL.....DL
run play......-1......-2
pass play....-1......-3

run plays are more fatiguing for DL because they have to get off, shed and go make a tackle or at least hold up vs 300 lbs, and the occasional lead blocker

pass plays fatigue the DL even worse because they have to explode off the ball, wrestle for 2 seconds, THEN SPRINT to get the QB

this is why successful teams platoon 8 Dlinemen

offensive linemen NEVER platoon, and teams that have limited skill
(see BYU, mid 80's 49ers, etc) always start out passing, because it is simpler to prevent someone from getting to your QB 8x a drive than it is to MOVE a 300 lb DT 12 times a drive,

hurry up offense may be the only exception, but again this penalizes the defense even more because it prevents substitution.

please advise

< Message edited by BCtheQB -- 10/7/2007 8:48:28 PM >

Skagit Valley Lightning, HC, OC, DC, QB,Seattle Stallions 8-3,QB,West Sound Saints, NAFL CHamps,
King County Jaguars 05 NAFL W.Conf Champz,#2inUS
Eastside Hawks 03 #2 in US , 04 #1,#1 in PIFL.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 8
RE: Hmmm - 10/10/2007 8:56:38 AM   
frogman06

Im with you on this one BC.

(in reply to BCtheQB)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Public Beta Forum >> Pass Blocking Issues Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI