Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update! - 2/12/2007 9:00:50 AM   
Alex Fiedler

Western Civilization Software is hard at work improving and revamping their already popular American Civil War strategy hit

Matrix Games and Western Civilization Software (www.west-civ.com) are excited to release a sneak peek at the highly anticipated update for their popular American Civil War turn-based strategy title, Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865. Standing as the second update for Forge of Freedom, this release is expected to be massive both in size and scope. Western Civilization Software has dedicated much of their time to improving and adding new content to this already well-received grand strategy title.

Among a myriad of changes and tweaks expected to vastly improve gameplay, gamers can also expect to see great new features such as a completely new campaign, Southern Steel. This new campaign features meticulously gathered economic and demographic parameters based on 1860 census data. Players will also be pleased to see a redesigned and vastly improved generals system. The new system will enhance the role of generals in the game in multiple ways: promotions and demotions can now change generals’ ratings and thus impact their effectiveness; demoted generals now have a chance to resign in protest; the foremost generals have been assigned historically-based special abilities that help them to train their men in particular aspects of combat; and, a database of start-dates has been created, allowing generals to appear in the game at the time that the historical generals first achieved the rank of general.

Here’s just a small portion of the other major improvements expected with the next patch for Forge of Freedom:

• A.I. Enhancements. Many enhancements have been made to both the strategic and detailed-battle A.I., making for an even more challenging game.
  • Numerous User Interface Improvements. The user interface has been improved in various ways in response to player feedback, and numerous tweaks to the upgrade, economic, and attribute rules have been made.
  • More Biographies. An ambitious project of providing biographical sketches of all thousand Civil War generals as in-game text is now underway, with the inclusion of the first hundred bios, all voluntarily written by “Forge of Freedom” players and visitors to the Matrix forum.
  • Additional Reports. Adds significantly to the amount of information included in the various reports, both at the end of each turn and at the end of the game.
  • Battle History Screens. New Game Overview screens have been added, including one that tracks the performance of every brigade throughout the war in terms of casualties received and inflicted, and another screen that lets one watch a turn-by-turn replay showing the location and results of all of the battles one has fought. Units that perform especially well can now acquire special abilities that can make them as formidable as the "Iron Brigade" and "Stonewall Brigade."
  • PBEM Replay. Play-by-email has been improved not only in terms of more detailed battle reports, but by the addition of a replay feature that allows the player to watch all the moves and battles from any previous turns.
  • More Game Options. Adds multiple new game-play options that allow the player to tailor the game to his personal taste even more than before. For instance, players may now select a “total victory” option that lets them continue the war well beyond 1865.
  • Governors More Historic. The role of state governors has been made more realistic, since they now more likely to make requests based on historical developments in their states, and less likely to make unnecessary requests.

• Post #: 1
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 4:37:12 PM   
    Dasara II

Looking good...I hope that the "Southern Steel" campaign is early 1861 or even before that

Revamping the generals can only make the game better, that area of the game needs a little more attention.

Thanks for the update.

(in reply to Alex Fiedler)
    Post #: 2
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 4:42:55 PM   
    General Quarters

Good changes -- and good marketing.

(in reply to Dasara II)
    Post #: 3
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 9:26:53 PM   
    Berkut

Looks great, I have my fingers crossed...

(in reply to General Quarters)
    Post #: 4
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 9:56:56 PM   
    Kipper

Is it worth starting a new game now or should I wait for the patch (savegame compatible?)
    Thanks
    Kipper

(in reply to Berkut)
    Post #: 5
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 10:09:05 PM   
    spruce

when when when when when when when when when when when when when

(in reply to Kipper)
    Post #: 6
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 11:33:37 PM   
    Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kipper

Is it worth starting a new game now or should I wait for the patch (savegame compatible?)
    Thanks
    Kipper

Not to be glib, but it depends on how quickly you play. We're getting there with the patch, but it's still not ready to be released in the next few days. (Play-testing has turned up a few things that people would howl about if we didn't fix them first, but most of the features that needed to be added are added by now. So, there's still a bit more work to be done.)

(in reply to Kipper)
    Post #: 7
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 11:44:25 PM   
    Kipper

Good answer! And no, I wasn't trying to get an ETA by the back door ;-)
    Good luck with it
    Kipper

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 8
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/12/2007 11:52:35 PM   
    Gil R.

Oops, I forgot to answer -- save files will be incompatible.

(in reply to Kipper)
    Post #: 9
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 12:33:20 AM   
    Titanwarrior89

Great, now thats what I am talking about. All of the changes and updates to make the game better is super great. Thanks for the Hard work guys.

Really looking forward to it.

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 10
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 1:30:36 AM   
    Johnus

Since this patch has been in the works, I've purchased and "learned" EU3, Punic Wars; and Battlefront. The fact that patched FOF won't be compatible with previous saves won't be critical for me; I have forgotten how to play.

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
    Post #: 11
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 5:10:03 AM   
    General Quarters

I have now seen the beta, and three things are clear to me:
    1. This is a major upgrade.
    2. It is certainly not yet ready for prime time.
    3. These guys are working, well not 24-7, but literally about 16-7 to get this thing wrapped up.

(in reply to Johnus)
    Post #: 12
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 5:17:08 AM   
    christof139

quote:

Since this patch has been in the works, I've purchased and "learned" EU3, Punic Wars; and Battlefront. The fact that patched FOF won't be compatible with previous saves won't be critical for me; I have forgotten how to play.

Hi, Who makes Punic Wars??? Thanx, Chris

(in reply to Johnus)
    Post #: 13
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 5:59:13 AM   
    Johnus

Chris:

Punic Wars is a new HPS game, by Paul Bruffell (I have not heard of him before).

(in reply to christof139)
    Post #: 14
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 4:15:44 PM   
    Dasara II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alex Fiedler

...a database of start-dates has been created, allowing generals to appear in the game at the time that the historical generals first achieved the rank of general.

I am assuming that this will be a new flag (option), so that we can continue to play with both randomized stats and randomized start dates.

I love the ability to have a completely random game for re playability and putting yourself in the same situation that the decision makers of that time had to deal with.

This is a great game already and is looking to become even more impressive, even if my better half would disagree

Post #: 15
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/13/2007 7:16:34 PM   
    Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dasara II

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alex Fiedler

...a database of start-dates has been created, allowing generals to appear in the game at the time that the historical generals first achieved the rank of general.

I am assuming that this will be a new flag (option), so that we can continue to play with both randomized stats and randomized start dates.

I love the ability to have a completely random game for re playability and putting yourself in the same situation that the decision makers of that time had to deal with.

This is a great game already and is looking to become even more impressive, even if my better half would disagree

Yes, randomized start dates for generals is an option, with the default being historical.

(in reply to Dasara II)
    Post #: 16
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/14/2007 6:17:27 PM   
    m10bob

The only negative reports I had seen by 3rd parties, was a clunky interface in a couple of areas, like movement of units..I hope this is one of the interface problems being fixed, (or has it been already?)..I will be donning my civil war garb shortly..

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 17
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/14/2007 7:34:46 PM   
    Gil R.

My thoughts on the interface is that once you learn it, it's easy and becomes second nature.

The key improvements to the interface in this patch do not involve redoing it, but making it possible to go back and forth between certain screens more easily.

< Message edited by Gil R. -- 2/14/2007 7:50:18 PM >

(in reply to m10bob)
    Post #: 18
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 2:19:19 AM   
    Gil R.

Here's another change that we're making: siege artillery will no longer take up slots in containers. In other words, a USA division can now have five regular brigades plus siege artillery, instead of having to sacrifice 20% of its troop strength in order to fit in siege guns. This should make amphibious invasions more potent, which is the main reason for the change. There might be one or two kinks with this new system, but it should prove to be a definite improvement.

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 19
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 3:23:15 AM   
    Joram

Since you brought up siege weapons.  Are you going to fix riverboats too?

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 20
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 3:29:15 AM   
    jack616

but whens the patch expected???  old saves aren't compatible...so at this point, FoF is doing little besides taking up room on my hard drive...

(in reply to Joram)
    Post #: 21
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 5:10:18 AM   
    Gil R.

Here's how the set-up screen is looking these days, what with the new options we've added:

Attachment (1)

Post #: 22
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 2:52:18 PM   
    Dasara II

Wow, look at all those options

I like the No European War option, I will be definitely be using it when I play as the Union. I have found that the British join the CSA too often when I play the AI.

(in reply to Gil R.)
    Post #: 23
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 3:17:43 PM   
    ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob
    The only negative reports I had seen by 3rd parties, was a clunky interface in a couple of areas, like movement of units..I hope this is one of the interface problems being fixed, (or has it been already?)..I will be donning my civil war garb shortly..

We made a few changes to the way the interface allows for the movement of units -- we made a few of the things that used to trigger error messages now just do the thing that the user probably expected them to do in the first place.

One example: say you have a corps selected and you click on an army, if the corps won't fit inside the army you clicked on then instead of getting an error message the game now just selects the army.

We've also made attaching units to a top-level military group a little more intelligent: if you grab a bunch of brigades and drop them into an army they now will trickle-down into the corps and divisions in that army rather than cluster at the top; similarly, dropping a general into a military group now puts that general into a container appropriate for his rank.

(in reply to m10bob)
    Post #: 24
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 3:17:49 PM   
    ericbabe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dasara II
    Wow, look at all those options

I like the No European War option, I will be definitely be using it when I play as the Union. I have found that the British join the CSA too often when I play the AI.

We've made a few changes to the way this works in the game. We lowered the monetary cost of diplomacy and added a rule that gives the winner of a decisive battle a chance of gaining support from Europe and the loser a chance of losing support from Europe....our goal is to make these two factors about equal in importance in a typical game, more or less. We've then raised the level at which GBR/FRA declares war from 7 to 9.

(in reply to Dasara II)
    Post #: 25
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 3:58:44 PM   
    Ironclad

Eric this and all the other changes discussed sounds great. I am very impressed with the effort that you guys are making to address so many of the issues raised (plus some unasked extras) in one patch. The readme is going to be fun reading and then its back to relearning the revised game.

Much appreciated and thanks to all the team.

(in reply to ericbabe)
    Post #: 26
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 4:00:26 PM   
    christof139

quote:

We've made a few changes to the way this works in the game. We lowered the monetary cost of diplomacy and added a rule that gives the winner of a decisive battle a chance of gaining support from Europe and the loser a chance of losing support from Europe....our goal is to make these two factors about equal in importance in a typical game, more or less. We've then raised the level at which GBR/FRA declares war from 7 to 9.

Any chance for Imperial Russia to get involved??? They, as you know, were very pro-Union, and even sent a flotilla to NYC, if my memory is correct. i saw photos of a few Russian ships back east in NYC or Phill, where ever. There were a good number of Russian ships I do believe.

A 'Volunteer' Division of the Tsar's troops showing up to fight with the Union would be neat, if the Brits and/or French come in on the side of the CSA.

Juts brainstorming, or brainwandering, what ever and however one views it.

Dostvedonya, i Stolat!!! in Polski, Chris

(in reply to ericbabe)
    Post #: 27
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 4:07:38 PM   
    ericbabe

I do remember seeing some nifty photos of Russian sailors in New York harbor in photos on the Library of Congress' memory website -- we may have used one of those photos in FOF's opening montage.  We probably won't be able to add this in a patch, but be sure to drop this idea in our Wish List thread -- maybe we can use it in an expansion pack.

(in reply to christof139)
    Post #: 28
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 4:24:51 PM   
    christof139

quote:

I do remember seeing some nifty photos of Russian sailors in New York harbor in photos on the Library of Congress' memory website -- we may have used one of those photos in FOF's opening montage. We probably won't be able to add this in a patch, but be sure to drop this idea in our Wish List thread -- maybe we can use it in an expansion pack.

That could be where I saw them, and I know it was on the inet. There are several photos of the Russian sailors gathered on deck. There were maybe 5-7 or so ships, maybe even 9, I can't remember, but most were large.

Chris

(in reply to ericbabe)
    Post #: 29
    RE: Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom U... - 2/16/2007 6:19:39 PM   
    Gil R.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ironclad

Eric this and all the other changes discussed sounds great. I am very impressed with the effort that you guys are making to address so many of the issues raised (plus some unasked extras) in one patch. The readme is going to be fun reading and then its back to relearning the revised game.

Much appreciated and thanks to all the team.

We have to write a readme file documenting all these changes?!? Oh, hell, you just delayed the patch another three weeks...

(in reply to Ironclad)
    Post #: 30
    Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
    All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Get a Sneak Peek of the Upcoming Forge of Freedom Update! Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI