Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Decisive Victory?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Axis Decisive Victory? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Decisive Victory? - 2/17/2007 8:25:41 PM   
luftwaffe

In my last game I was surprised to see I got a Axis Decisive Victory even though the Allies actually won.

This is my second full game, the first I won on normal, if I had continued that game I would have taken the whole world, but I just don't feel like it really counts unless you're at least playing challenging against the AI.

Anyway everything was going almost perfect as Germany(the computer was playing Japan), after taking France Italy joined right away and my European allies also joined in the Summer of 1940, I secured the Med almost right after Italy joined except one huge mistake I made was not taking Gibratar, but I got overconfident thinking the AI wouldn't do much anyway, got England in the Fall,40 turn and the Soviet war readiness was still only at 27. When it got to 33 I thought I better invade now but I only had about 40+ supplies due to all the repaires in England and France. After invading and not getting very far I still wasn't to worried since in the last game the Russians never really counterattacked. Well to make a long story short after thinking I was on my way to world domination(playing with no av and no end date) the russians counterattacked pushing me back into Western Poland, the allies took the med and took Italy by 1945, Germany surrenders Fall 1945, I have to admit I was surprised. I watched the Japanese and the WA AI battle it out along with the Soviets. Japan surrenders Winter,47 and I was expecting a Allied marginal victory but it was a Axis Decisive Victory, after reading the victory conditions in the manual I saw that if the axis don't surrender by the Fall,46 turn it is considered a Axis victory. I still don't consider that a victory though, regardless if they surrender in 47 or 1990 it still should be a Allied marginal victory, if I'm not mistaken thats the way it was in the first game. Is this game a little more unbalanced, in favor of the allies? If thats the case I understand but I still don't consider this a victory. Just my opinion.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Decisive Victory? - 2/18/2007 2:21:43 PM   
kondor

IMO you are wrong! Germany and Japan could never win the game by conquering the whole world! (if the opponents are with similar skill). So the line is drawn in 1946 (but it can slide down with 67 watermark). I think it is very well balanced and if any the allies are in minimal advantage... (but that is just my opp.).

(in reply to luftwaffe)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Decisive Victory? - 2/18/2007 4:27:51 PM   
GKar

It is my understanding that it was a gameplay decision to allow the Axis to win by simply holding out long enough. This way there's another possibility to win for the Axis (in game terms) than plain auto victory. It may not be perfect, but I think it is fair enough.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Decisive Victory? - 2/18/2007 7:43:33 PM   
luftwaffe

In the original game I took over the whole world by around 1960+ a number of times with Germany. I'm starting to get the impression that this is harder to do in AWD.

(in reply to luftwaffe)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Decisive Victory? - 2/27/2007 4:04:52 AM   
Bubble

Well, I've never won the whole world against a human opponent, or a difficult AI setting, but on normal I've easily managed to take the world twice, in two tries. Both times I attacked the USSR from both sides and knocked them out by about 1943 or 44. IMO, once you've done that, the world is won. Germany has tonnes of production to hammer the WA navy, e.g., with planes, and then take England. And Japan has lots of resources coming from E Russia, and can take China while holding off the US. This would probably be much tougher if I tried it on a more difficult setting, though!

(in reply to luftwaffe)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> Axis Decisive Victory? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI