Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

MMC33 Not Working - Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> MMC33 Not Working - Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 6:53:25 PM   
D6Veteran

Long time CC fan. The only reason I bought CC:CoI was for the MM mode.

I assume it works, but I cannot get it to connect.

I forwarded the ports on my D-Link router:

When I open MMC33 port 1028 is listed. When I click connect I get this error window twice:

< Message edited by D6Veteran -- 2/16/2007 7:06:41 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 7:04:17 PM   
D6Veteran

Hmmm, maybe this is the problem:

When I compare this screen to the manual, there seems to be a missing field for my IP address.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 2
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 8:30:28 PM   
Beeblebrox

The pic shows the Single Player Client, and can only be used with the Single Player Server (which is launched from your Start Menu, or from the file system <Drive>\Program Files\Close Combat\Close Combat III\Server\Server.exe.  Run this first, and then you will be able to connect using the Single Player Client.  There is no Strategic Multiplayer with the Single Player environment.

To play the online Campaigns, you need to install the MMCCIII Multiplayer Client.  Launch Mod Swap, and select Install from the File Menu.  You should see MMCCIIIMultiPlayer.cc3 in the Browser List.  Use that.  After you exit Mod Swap, when you launch MMCCIII, you will get the IP Number Box as well as the Port Number Box.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 3
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 8:44:36 PM   
D6Veteran

Ok that worked.  I reread the manual and honestly this part is not clear.

Another question: the default port doesn't work.  I used the port in the manual.  Is there a list of ports somewhere?

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 4
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 8:54:33 PM   
Beeblebrox

For the Single Player or Multiplayer?

When running Single Player, check the Port Number given in the Single Player Server screen.  Check that the MMCCIII screen has the same Number.

For the Multiplayer MMCCIII, when you launch it, a welcome message should appear giving you the IP and Port numbers of currently running Campaigns.

For your info, the currently ruinning online (Multiplayer) Campaigns are:

IP Number: 204.13.13.17
Ports: 2108, 2109, or 2110

We welcome all constructive criticism.  Confusion issue well noted! Thank you

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 5
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/16/2007 9:03:14 PM   
D6Veteran

Thanks for all your help!

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 6
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 12:14:58 AM   
D6Veteran

I spoke to soon.  I finally found some games to connect to and now I get this error:

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 7
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 12:57:11 AM   
Andrew Williams

It Looks Like either you or your opponent now have firewall/router/port forwarding issues.

remedy your tech issues then you will connect.

See other posts in this support section for remedy.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 8
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 1:01:42 AM   
D6Veteran

What have I not done (see my router config above) that remains to be done?  Is there a specific post (and I'm not talking about reading through someone else's support thread) that details how to connect to a MMCC3 game?

I've tried connecting to 3 opponents now with no luck.  I cannot say what their issues are.

I hope I can get someone to help me resolve this - I didn't mean to repurchase CC3, I meant to buy CC3 with additional multiplayer options.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 9
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 1:14:58 AM   
Andrew Williams

If both players have configured their computers correctly , then connecting through MMCC3 is not a problem at all.

I have been playing H2H for the last 3 days and had some great exciting battles

The only problems being when I have tried to connect to an opponent who hasn't set up their PC to play H2H.

This should be done and tested on BHQ, before venturing onto the MMCC3 arena.

I shall be back on MMCC3 and BHQ Sunday night North America time to lend technical support where needed and run test connections.

So far I have talked over 15 players through setting up their PC's.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 10
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 2:41:12 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: D6Veteran

What have I not done (see my router config above) that remains to be done? Is there a specific post (and I'm not talking about reading through someone else's support thread) that details how to connect to a MMCC3 game?

I've tried connecting to 3 opponents now with no luck. I cannot say what their issues are.

I hope I can get someone to help me resolve this - I didn't mean to repurchase CC3, I meant to buy CC3 with additional multiplayer options.

I see that your internal IP is 192.168.0.122. Is that a static LAN IP, or was it assigned by WinXP DHCP? If the latter is the case, the router may have dished the OS out a new LAN IP and the ports aren't being forwarded to the correct address.

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 11
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/18/2007 11:41:09 PM   
D6Veteran

Update - I can connect in the regular HtH multiplayer via Battle HQ.

But still cannot connect with the same player in MMCC3.

Echmuhl - honestly I don't understand what you are saying.  If I can connect through Battle HQ are you still concerned about that issue?

I also put myself on the DMZ and still cannot get a connection in MMCC3.

Thanks.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 12
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/19/2007 12:40:58 AM   
Andrew Williams

What OS do you have?

***** NOTE

I am on BHQ now trying to assist you.... please respond to PM's

< Message edited by schrecken -- 2/19/2007 12:56:42 AM >

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 13
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/19/2007 1:02:16 AM   
D6Veteran

Yes thanks - I was actually in a game!!!

I found someone I can connect with.

XP Pro.  I put myself on the DMZ.  Not ideal - but until I figure out what the issue is that will do.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 14
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/19/2007 1:04:08 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

Echmuhl - honestly I don't understand what you are saying. If I can connect through Battle HQ are you still concerned about that issue?

Thanks.

Nah, if you can play h2h, either BHQ or TCP/IP, you are fine as far as your LAN IP is concerned.

BTW, the only time that I've ever seen the Java error was when I first installed the game and attempted to fire-up MMCC3 without running the "mod swap" utility. After I did that and loaded up the MP version, no more Java error.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 15
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/19/2007 5:35:01 PM   
7A_CavScout

quote:

Yes thanks - I was actually in a game!!!

I found someone I can connect with.

XP Pro.  I put myself on the DMZ.  Not ideal - but until I figure out what the issue is that will do.

So you are saying that once you selected DMZ you were able to connect in MP MMCCIII?

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 16
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/19/2007 5:43:31 PM   
D6Veteran

I have been able to connect both on and off the DMZ.  That doesn't seem to make a difference, but I was putting myself on their to rule out my router's firewall.

I think the issue now is my cable modem.  Apparently people cannot ping me.

(in reply to 7A_CavScout)
Post #: 17
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/20/2007 5:21:01 PM   
D6Veteran

Sorry to report I uninstalled the game and made a second request for a refund.  I've wasted hours trying to get the game set up to work in MP.  My last effort was a a friend's house (he has DSL vs my Cable Modem).  Same problems there too.

As a fan of CC from the begininning I was extremely excited for this release.  I've waited so long I would have rather waited another year (and paid more money) for a game that has more robust network code.  Honestly, a Close Combat game that allows me to play in a well done persistent online campaign (MMCC3) is worth $200 a year to me.  That's about what you pay for some other MM games.

Good luck, and Matrix I'm gonna keep asking for that refund ;)

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 18
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/20/2007 5:48:43 PM   
himmelstoss

quote:

Sorry to report I uninstalled the game and made a second request for a refund.  I've wasted hours trying to get the game set up to work in MP.  My last effort was a a friend's house (he has DSL vs my Cable Modem).  Same problems there too.

As a fan of CC from the begininning I was extremely excited for this release.  I've waited so long I would have rather waited another year (and paid more money) for a game that has more robust network code.  Honestly, a Close Combat game that allows me to play in a well done persistent online campaign (MMCC3) is worth $200 a year to me.  That's about what you pay for some other MM games.

Dear D6Veteran!

I must wholeheartedly agree with you as I and another online friend of mine tried for a whole week now every day to get this @%$#^$%# going. It is inconceivable to me that the dev team of this game seem not capable to solve this issue in a simple to understand manner to support people that just want to play this game in multiplayer without them having to have the skills of a computer software engineer!

At the same time I want to thank "schrecken" for his tireless efforts to help gamers like me to solve the mp-issues, and I think he should be awarded payment out of the games sales, as he seems to work harder on this than the support team.

I myself will also ask for a partial refund as the promised mp part of the game does not work correctly as advertised.

Further on will I discourage every one I know or will come to know that asks if they should buy the game: DONT BOTHER!

A very disgruntled Customer of Matrix Games,

himmelstoss

tell it like you think it is!

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 19
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/20/2007 6:10:15 PM   
Erik Rutins

We're waiting to hear more from the developer of MMCCIII on this issue. We can only help so much until we get more information. Shrecken is part of the CSO Simtek team, by the way.

As far as MMCCIII goes, I can speak to my personal experience. I tried it on three Windows systems through two routers, it worked without a glitch on all of them. I've noticed one common thread is Windows 2000 and we're waiting to get clarification from the developer on what the situation is as far as these Windows 2000-based errors with MMCCIII.

There's a difference between support that isn't as fast as you'd like it and no support. I'd love to have an answer and a solution for you already and I apologize that we don't have one yet. There are people (the vast majority as far as I can tell) for whom MMCCIII works fine, including apparently the whole development and testing team (as well as everyone at Matrix). Then there are folks for whom it's not working at all. We have to sort out why that is, post-release, and that can take time, but it is being worked on.

Regards,

- Erik

< Message edited by Erik Rutins -- 2/20/2007 6:24:27 PM >

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 20
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/20/2007 6:49:06 PM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: himmelstoss
At the same time I want to thank "schrecken" for his tireless efforts to help gamers like me to solve the mp-issues, and I think he should be awarded payment out of the games sales, as he seems to work harder on this than the support team.

He is part of the development team

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 21
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/20/2007 6:56:07 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

Sorry to report I uninstalled the game and made a second request for a refund. I've wasted hours trying to get the game set up to work in MP. My last effort was a a friend's house (he has DSL vs my Cable Modem). Same problems there too.

As a fan of CC from the begininning I was extremely excited for this release. I've waited so long I would have rather waited another year (and paid more money) for a game that has more robust network code. Honestly, a Close Combat game that allows me to play in a well done persistent online campaign (MMCC3) is worth $200 a year to me. That's about what you pay for some other MM games.

I'd like to say a few words about this, and as a gamer, not any sort of networking-guru, which I'm not.

Last Thursday night, when I downloaded the game and saw all that the "package" included, the documentation and so on, I thought to myself, "this is gonna be a nightmare for a lot of people." Experience told me that some of the networking components weren't gonna work in certain environments. For that reason, I contemplated starting a philosophical thread, something along the lines of "was it really good idea to give us enough rope with which to hang ourselves?" Instead, I thought I'd try and help, again based on ten years of playing games online, knowing full well, though, that it simply wasn't gonna happen for some of you that had purchased CoI.

Now, I'm gonna make some comments that may strike some of you as controversial...

I truly believe that publishers need to document the known limitations of their software as relates to networking. I don't doubt for a moment that CoI was tested exhaustively before it was released, but it was tested on compatible network hardware and software. If someone among the test crew struggled, his problems were likely either sorted through, or he simply bought new gear, a new, CoI-friendly router/switch, for instance. CC3 was published with a set of minimum requirements, as I believe was CoI. But, all prospective buyers really know is that an "internet connection is required for online play." Do you guys up the food chain see how inadequate that is in addressing the pre-purchase needs of someone like D6Veteran or himmeltoss?

The game works fine for me, but I take no credit for that. It may be just dumb luck. My router is common as dirt, and has good options for port-forwarding, but that's the extent of my contribution to my own success in these regards. It's my third, by the way. The first two sucked for playing games, one was from Netgear, the other from Dlink. And both of those outfits make solid products. They just didn't work with a DX7 game that I was crazy about. Eventually, I settled on the BEFSR41 out of trial and error. I'm clever that way. But, again, is that any way for folks to have to approach the decision to buy or beget the purchase of a game like CoI?

In closing I have to say that I'm happy with the game and it's MP components. But, it's also true that I could have ended up in the EXACT same straits as some of the other folks here who have struggled and are giving up. Moving forward, I think that a righteous outfit like Matrix ought to look into documenting the slings and arrows of network play BEFORE their customers purchase a product.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

BTW: I mentioned that I abandoned a Dlink router because it didn't work with a game that I wanted to play. In point of fact, it did work until I updated the firmware one day. The upgrade wrecked the routers compaibility with my game, Austerlitz: Napoleon's Greatest Victory. That's a great example of how tangled this whole networking business can be with these older games.

(in reply to D6Veteran)
Post #: 22
RE: MMC33 Not Working - Help - 2/21/2007 2:04:25 AM   
e_barkmann

interesting comments POE and I agree that some additional warning info regarding online play should be included as part of the online ordering process.

It's impossible to predict the myriad of ways customer premises equipment can potentially mess with internet connections but certainly routers out there are a common problem.

Take, for instance, Linksys.

Very popular and generally not very expensive.

To keep costs down, Linksys outsource firmware development of some of their cheaper routers to a firm in China called CyberTan.

This company is notorious for providing firmware that barely works.

- UPnP broken, port forwarding unreliable, DynDNS broken, badly written data pump code implementation, interface incompatibility with certain browers, NTP time update feature broken, firewall unstable...you name it, I've seen it (I work for an ISP and we need to test all kinds of routers and each new firmware that comes out, for compatibility and bugs).

I have no doubt that Linksys is just one example of the many brands out there that have cut corners on firmware development to compete in the mass market.

But how can Matrix and the developers approach this minefield rationally?

If they code their game to a directplay standard - and they have - realistically that's all they can do.

My suggestion here would be to setup a pre-sales CC MP compatibility checking page that connects through to a directplay server app somewhere, eg click on this link or download this small app, if you see a success message you should be able to play the game via MP, if you see an error message you need to troubleshoot and MP might be an issue - this would require a bit of code to test out the ports involved but would at least alert the customer prior to purchase.

Anyway just me 2c

cheers Chris

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> MMC33 Not Working - Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI