Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pathfinding, still pretty bad

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Pathfinding, still pretty bad Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pathfinding, still pretty bad - 2/16/2007 9:22:29 PM   
sage

I'm playing on the second map of the CoI grand campaign as Germans. The Russian tanks just wander around the graveyard and or town until the time runs out. I've watched them do this 3 times while I off the one or two recon units that make it close to my troops. Pretty dull.

I had hopes that the core path finding issues of the original games would actually have been improved. When this came out 8 (!) years ago, this wasn't such a big deal, but it just no longer holds up to the many games that have done a better job of this since (albeit never perfect). Is there no way to leverage the modern processing power of the PC to help the AI 'think' further ahead?

This is the first matrix games I've purchased that I don't feel like I got my money's worth. Am I doing something wrong?
Post #: 1
RE: Pathfinding, still pretty bad - 2/16/2007 9:57:18 PM   
Beeblebrox

Pathing should be overall better.  Can't gurantee stupid pathing is eliminated.  Weight of feedback so far seems to show improvement.  I also get dumb things happen still.

As to feeling you are not getting your money's worth?  Obviously I am dissapointed. 

In addition, regardless of which version or mod, there are usually some hiatuses and 'dull play' time sometime, as this is a real time Sim. Even real battles were not always non stop carnage... sometimes depends on what you want to do, but the AI 'Tactician' is not very sophisticated.  We are looking to make more significant upgrades in subsequent releases (not the re-releases).

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 2
RE: Pathfinding, still pretty bad - 2/17/2007 12:51:49 AM   
sage

It's been quite some time (7 or 8 years) since I played CC3 vanilla, so it's hard to compare, but path finding does not feel improved. The AI attacker just moves up and down looking for (and failing to find) bridges and fords. In towns, tanks bounce around between buildings, coming nowhere near me, until I get a lucky flank shot with an AT gun. There no sense of competence, much less cohesion. :=(

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 3
RE: Pathfinding, still pretty bad - 2/19/2007 8:41:29 AM   
Tonto

Hmm interesting. I loved CC 1 & 2 but stopped at 3 due to the AI pathfinding and the horrible new spotting rules (tanks picking out inf from 300m away when they are prone in wheat fields etc.). Was interested when I found out about Cross of Iron... but looks like I'll wait and see.

As a Combat Mission fan, I don't think I can go back and take poor AI to the point of pathfinding problems again. Humans are always better with the tactics but pathfinding is a must.

T.

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Pathfinding, still pretty bad Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI