Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question regarding casualties

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> A question regarding casualties Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question regarding casualties - 2/19/2007 11:18:35 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

Hi there,

I remember asking this question (about two years ago when I recently purchased the game) and that was, "what does the casualty rate really stand for?". The fact is, gentlemen, it still confuses me to this day.

I was told that it meant anything from a shell exploding to a soldier's pants going missing (the latter my own bit :p) is noted as a "casualty". But, I cannot see an invasion of say an enemy held base but with no enemy soldiers causing that many "casualties".

My point being, if I unload at a base and I score 800 casualties, does that mean 800 men in the division, brigade, etc have died? Or could that be from men getting killed or the wounded, too?

What is the definition of "casualty" in this game?

Cheers, Jap_Spirit.
Post #: 1
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/19/2007 11:27:42 PM   
Nikademus

whenever you are landing troops, the "casualties" reported are disablements that can be recovered (eventually) For combat related casuatlies the majority are always disablements but there are a few "kills/destroyed items" in the mix. One important consideration to keep in mind is if you have an LCU that is forced to retreat by combat, the casualties listed for that unit do NOT include the permanent losses incurred by the retreat. (can be up to around 20% or more of the unit's TO&E depending on unit exp and supply level.

(in reply to Japanese_Spirit)
Post #: 2
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/19/2007 11:33:04 PM   
saj42

As I understand it, it means that many men are 'combat ineffective'. From dead and wounded by enemy action, to injured and disorganised in the battle. On the unit screen it will equate to a number of squads lost but many more disabled.

Banner by rogueusmc

Post #: 3
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/20/2007 12:11:37 AM   
bradfordkay

Casualties in this game portray LCU squads that are rendered inoperable for various reasons. It could be that they lost all their weapons when the barge they were aboard hit the reef, or that half the men suffered ankle sprains jumping down from the ship into the landing barge, or that the barge carrying the HQ hit the beach a mile away from the rest of the men...

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to saj42)
Post #: 4
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/20/2007 10:31:20 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

Right, I see. So, it pertains to the actual squads in the division that either become disabled or destroyed? Alright, now I get it. So, would the number pertain to then say 800 squads or 800 men from either any of the actual squads?

But I have an idea on it is meant to be now, thanks.

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 5
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/20/2007 10:35:40 PM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

whenever you are landing troops, the "casualties" reported are disablements that can be recovered (eventually) For combat related casuatlies the majority are always disablements but there are a few "kills/destroyed items" in the mix. One important consideration to keep in mind is if you have an LCU that is forced to retreat by combat, the casualties listed for that unit do NOT include the permanent losses incurred by the retreat. (can be up to around 20% or more of the unit's TO&E depending on unit exp and supply level.

The actual "casualty" count from the (sometimes modified) load cost of the device in question. So if an IJA Rifle (squad) device has a load cost of 17, then that is the number reported as "casualties".

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 6
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/20/2007 10:49:28 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

Okay, so for example, I recieve 800 casualties landing on Vigan. That would be put down to say the disablement of squads (loss of weapons, men killed in action, etc) or the gradual destroyment of squads. Have I got it in the bag now? I think I see what you all are say.....everything operates by squads.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 7
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/20/2007 11:50:34 PM   
Nikademus

disablements only.

Post #: 8
RE: A question regarding casualties - 2/21/2007 12:38:09 AM   
Japanese_Spirit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

disablements only.

Okay, so just disablements. Thanks for the help folks, I appreciate it.

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> A question regarding casualties Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI