Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/20/2007 10:23:48 PM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

Lieutenant Miharu: True! I wonder where Kido Butai is?

Captain Ishii: I have no idea. I certainly hope that they are in position to join us there, or this could get ugly. Very ugly.

You call it ugly. I call it interesting . . .

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 121
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/20/2007 10:55:56 PM   
Japanese_Spirit

I call it a tense moment......I will hold out for the ships involved. Let us see if Admiral Goto and Captain Ishii can win this conflict.....

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 122
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 1:47:33 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 8, 1942

Course: Northeast
Attached to: TF 6
Mission: Surface Combat
System Damage: 0
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 0
Fuel: 381

Orders: Proceed with all practical speed to Kwajalein to refuel, then on to Wake Island to contest American landings there.

---

Excerpt from a letter from Lieutenant Miharu to his wife:

This afternoon the Captain evicted the radio operator from the radio room and spent 20 minutes conversing with Admiral Goto. When he emerged he went to his cabin, and a short while later he sent for me. When I arrived he was seated at his desk.

"At ease, Exec," he told me. "I have information for you, though it is information I do not wish as yet to share with the crew."

"Is it news from Wake, sir?" I asked him. He shook his head.

"I have no idea what is happening there today. But I have learned that we are going there essentially alone. There is a division of destroyers at Kwajalein, but nothing else closer than we are. We will not be joined by Kido Butai or any battleships."

This news was a surprise to me, and not an entirely welcome one, I admit. When I asked the Captain why this was so he said "Apparently Admiral Yamamoto has studied the situation and believes this to be a feint. He thinks the American plan is to make a show of attacking Wake. This, they think, will draw our carriers and the Combined Fleet north. Once the coast is clear the American carriers plan to fall like wolves upon our now uncovered invasion convoys in the South Pacific."

I pondered this. If it was true then the American strategy was a subtle and dangerous one.

"And if this is not the case, and they really are bringing their forces to bear on Wake?" I asked. The Captain sighed.

"If that is the case then I believe Yamamoto's thinking is that we should let the Americans have the island, and even encourage them to pour as many troops ashore as they wish. Once our operations in the south are concluded our forces will turn back north, and the island will become a trap for them.

"This of course necessitates that we make a convincing show of fighting for the island. That, then, would be our role."

I sat and thought about this for a moment. There sometimes comes a moment in a game of chess when a player must be willing to sacrifice a larger piece, say a knight or a bishop, in order to lure one's opponent into a disadvantageous situation. It seemed to me that that we were to play the part of such a chess piece, and I said so to the Captain. He nodded.

"That is how I see it, too. But do not be as glum as all that, Exec. If the Americans are really invading then I am sure Admiral Goto will not simply send us in blindly, guns blazing. The Americans will be tied to the island, while we will have the entire ocean in which to maneuver." He leaned back, and I saw upon his desk a piece of paper with some lines of calligraphy. The ink was still drying.

The captain's hand was not refined, but it was strong and bold. I could not help but read what he had written, which was this:

The shield takes the blow
Wood and iron may shatter
But the swordsman stands

As I write this to you, my wife, the sea is calm and our ship is slicing easily through the waves. Wake Island is 1300 miles ahead.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 123
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 2:05:47 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Wow. There's a letter thats getting sensored to smithereens.

Eagerly waiting for the next installment.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 124
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 2:14:30 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

Wow. There's a letter thats getting sensored to smithereens.

Eagerly waiting for the next installment.

So am I!

I think that Lieutenant Miharu writes a lot of these letters as a way to work out his thoughts by pretending that he is talking with his wife. I suspect there are a lot of them he never even bothers to mail, knowing that what would actually get through is "Hello" and "Good-bye".

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 125
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 2:56:24 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Come to think of it, who sensors the mail of the ship's second in command? If its Capt. Ishii, then the Lt. might be cruising for a really unpleant conversation on the subject of sensitive information.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 126
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 3:06:21 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

Come to think of it, who sensors the mail of the ship's second in command? If its Capt. Ishii, then the Lt. might be cruising for a really unpleant conversation on the subject of sensitive information.

It seems that in the Japanese navy a sailor's immediate superior was responsible for censoring their mail. So yes, it would be Captain Ishii in this case, making this letter one of the ones that Miharu never actually intends to mail. I hope. Or the next entry might feature the Lieutenant being brought up on charges.

Post #: 127
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 3:22:31 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Could be quite a plot twist if the Lt. is the next man that Takahashi ends up playing cards with in a stockroom.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 128
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 9:24:34 AM   
FeurerKrieg

I had just assumed he was writing in diary form to his wife. Instead of 'Dear Diary' - 'Dear Wife'. The wife wouldn't ever get it unless the war ends, whether or not Lt Miharu survives to see that day.

Upper portion used with permission of www.subart.net, copyright John Meeks

Post #: 129
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 8:59:31 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 9, 1942

System Damage: 1
Fuel: 355

Orders: Proceed with all practical speed to Kwajalein to refuel, then on to Wake Island to contest American landings there.

---

In the forward crew's mess aboard the Hibiki:

Shiro: Hello Riku, hello Taiki. Hey, what do you guys think of the change in course? Have you heard anything?

Taiki: We were just talking about that.

Riku: *shrugs* We haven't heard a thing, except that we're heading for Kwajalein.

Shiro: Kwajalein? What's there?

Riku: A lot of nothing.

Taiki: Maybe things are going so well down south that we're being assigned to patrol duty or something.

Shiro: With three heavy cruisers?

Taiki: I know, that doesn't make much sense. All I know is that we were going to see some action and now we are headed for a quiet zone. It is very disappointing.

Riku: *sighs* All I know is that we were headed for warm tropical ports and wide sandy beaches, and now we are headed for Port Dull.

Shiro: Maybe the Americans are attacking!

Riku: Don't be silly. Hey, pass that bowl, will you?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 130
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/21/2007 9:06:02 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 10, 1942

Fuel: 319

---

On the bridge of the Hibiki:

Radio Operator, via speaker tube: Captain, we are picking up a broadcast from Kwajalein.

Captain Ishii: Yes?

Radio Operator: Sir, they say that the Wake garrison reports enemy landings are taking place. They also report they are being shelled by three battleships and many cruisers and destroyers.

Captain Ishii: I see. Let me know if you hear anything further.

Radio Operator: Yes sir.

Lieutenant Miharu: So much for the idea that this is a feint.

Captain Ishii: So much for the idea that all the American battleships were sunk the first day of the war.

Lieutenant Miharu: *wryly* I have to admit I've always wanted to face an enemy battleship. I had hoped, however, to do it in something larger than a destroyer.

Captain Ishii: We will see. This ship can launch a spread of nine torpedoes at once. Even a battleship must respect that.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 131
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/22/2007 12:47:23 AM   
Japanese_Spirit

Well, the Americans have certainly become bold to attack Wake Island, despite only losing it a couple of months. I can only hope that the Hibiki survives the engagement......

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 132
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/22/2007 9:31:26 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 11, 1942

Course: Docked
Fuel: 475

Orders: Proceed north. Prepare to engage American forces at and around Wake Island.

---

A small room at the Japanese naval headquarters on Kwajalein. Admiral Goto, at the moment the senior naval officer present, is addressing about twenty officers, including Captain Ishii.

Admiral Goto: There is no question that the Americans have come to Wake with the intention of staying. Before radio broadcasts from our small garrison there ceased this morning they identified a full infantry division and supporting elements among their attackers. Reconnaisance flights indicate a large number of ships around the island, including carriers, battleships, and numerous transports.

This gives us a tremendous opportunity. Gentlemen, I have received welcome news - our carriers are at this moment only two days to the south, and approaching with all speed. We already have eleven destroyers, three light cruisers, and three heavy cruisers ready to attack. More ships are on the way.

Captain Ban: Sir, does that mean that we are now going to wait for the carriers to arrive before we sortie?

Admiral Goto: By no means. Your destroyer division and my cruisers will sail at 0600 tomorrow morning. We are going to approach the island from the south and the southwest, respectively. Another task force is en route from Saipan and will approach from the northwest. The Americans will perceive threats from every corner. As their attention is diverted and split in several directions our carriers will swing around and strike from the east.

Admiral Yamamoto has asked me to convey his deepest confidence in each of you. The battle ahead may well be the deciding battle of this war. We must not and we will not fail.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 133
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/22/2007 9:34:53 PM   
Cuttlefish

February 12, 1942

Course: North
System Damage: 3
Fuel: 451

Orders: Proceed north. Prepare to engage American forces at and around Wake Island.

---

From the diary of Seaman First Class Taiki Takahashi

The news of why we were diverted to Kwajalein in now all over the ship. The American fleet is at Wake Island! We are sailing to the attack.

As we sail north to meet the enemy my feelings are oddly mixed. This could well be the battle that decides the fate of all Japan. I am eager to meet the enemy and do my small part to help defeat him. Yet at the same time I cannot rid myself of a small ball of ice in my belly. It is only partly fear for myself; part of it is also fear for my shipmates and friends and because of the responsibility we bear in this fight.

I am the son of a plasterer and no philosopher, but I cannot help but think that these feelings of mine would be familiar to any foot soldier of ancient times following his lord into battle. I may be aboard a sleek steel warship bristling with weapons and he might have carried a simple spear, but I think that if he and I could sit down and talk about it over a cup of sake we would find our feelings on the eve of battle to be the much the same.

I wish the battle was already upon us. It is the waiting that is so hard.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 134
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/22/2007 10:01:05 PM   
FeurerKrieg

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 135
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/22/2007 10:06:47 PM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Feurer Krieg

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 136
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/23/2007 6:49:53 AM   
princep01

Well done.  Most interesting AAR.

< Message edited by princep01 -- 2/23/2007 7:05:31 AM >

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 137
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/23/2007 8:55:17 AM   
Terminus

quote:

When he's splashing around in a leaky lifeboat in a few days, he'll look back on the time of waiting for battle and think "what was I thinking?".

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 138
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/23/2007 9:20:38 AM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

quote:

When he's splashing around in a leaky lifeboat in a few days, he'll look back on the time of waiting for battle and think "what was I thinking?".

gigglez

hope not i hoope to hear a great deal more about Hibiki

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 139
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 12:11:05 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 13, 1942

Fuel: 427

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 140
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 12:29:58 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 14, 1942

Fuel: 403

Orders: Hold position. Prepare to engage American forces at and around Wake Island.

---

Captain Ishii: New signal from Admiral Goto, Exec. Here we wait.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir. I hope the wait is not a long one. The crew is pretty
keyed up, and they are ready for a fight.

Captain Ishii: We are waiting for the carriers to get into position. They have a longer run to make than the other task forces, and I get the feeling that Nagumo isn't the sort to rush blindly ahead when he knows enemy carriers are in the area.

Lieutenant Miharu: Yes sir. Just as long as they don't find us while we are looking for them.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 141
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 12:34:19 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 15, 1942

Fuel: 391

Orders: Hold position. Prepare to engage American forces at and around Wake Island.

---

Captain Ishii is pacing the bridge. He pauses every now and then to question the lookouts squinting through the big type 5 binoculars. He knows they would alert him the second they spotted anything, but he is growing impatient and can't help himself.

Captain Ishii: Anything?

Lookout: No sir. No sign of any American planes.

Captain Ishii: Right. Maintain vigilence, we are entirely too close to those American carriers.

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, signal from the Suzuya. Our carriers are almost in position, we will begin moving towards the island as soon as it's dark.

Captain Ishii: Finally!

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 2/24/2007 12:50:57 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 142
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 1:07:39 AM   
Cuttlefish

February 16, 1942

Fuel: 315

Orders: Attack

---

It is just before dawn at Wake Island. Task force 6 approaches the island from the south, in column formation. In the lead are destroyers Kikuzuki and Sazanami. Heavy cruisers Kako, Furutaka, and Suzuya follow, and destroyers Hibiki, Uzuki, and Yuzuki bring up the rear.

A few miles to the west Captain Ban's three light cruisers and six destroyers are also converging on the island. Northwest of Wake another task force consisting of a heavy cruiser, two light cruisers, and five destroyers is still about 50 miles out.

The seas are fairly calm. Overhead patchy overcast partially obscures the stars which are beginning to fade in the first faint gray light of morning. Two hundred and forty miles to the east-southest Admiral Nagumo orders his carriers to begin turning into the wind and launching planes.

As the Hibiki nears Wake airplanes can be heard high overhead. These are Nells out of Eniwetok, and soon their sighting reports are reaching the converging Japanese ships.

Radio Operator, via speaker tube: Captain, we are getting reports of a large group of ships off the east end of the island. Transports and escorts, sir.

Captain Ishii: Thank you, please inform me immediately of all sightings. *growls* Where are the battleships? Where are the cruisers?

Radio Operator: Sir, getting reports from our carriers. Scout planes have spotted enemy destroyers and carriers 200 miles northeast of the island, heading east.

Captain Ishii: Good! Let our carriers deal with them.

Lookout: Sir, twelve enemy ships 21,000 meters 25 degrees to starboard. No, thirteen enemy ships.

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, signal from Admiral Goto. Transport group spotted, we are ordered to change course 40 degrees to starboard and attack.

Captain Ishii: Very well. Change course as ordered. Speed to 30 knots.

Hibiki and the other ships converge slowly on the American task force. Radio reports come in of other small groups of ships to the north and northeast of the island. No capital ships are sighted. The range to the enemy task force shrinks to 19,000 meters.

Lookout: Sir, the enemy ships are scattering. The escorts are forming a screen in front of them.

Lieutentant Miharu: Signal from Suzuya, sir. We are to execute a starboard turn and open fire.

There are now three groups of ships heading east. In the northernmost group are eight large freighters, now beginning to scatter. Next is a rough column of gunboats, patrol craft, and minesweepers. These are trying to stay between the Japanese ships and the transports. Farthest south and beginning to pull a little ahead of the American ships is the Japanese column.

Captain Ishii: Set torpedoes to 1.5 meter depth. Angle ahead 30 degrees.

Chief Torpedo Officer Sugiyura: Yes sir! * a pause* Sir, ready to launch!

Captain Ishii: Launch torpedeoes! Main batteries, fire on the rear ship in the column!

The ship rocks as all six 5" guns fire on the patrol vessel bringing up the rear. Hibiki's gunnery is excellent. The first salvo is a straddle. On the second salvo a shell bursts on the target's stern. The crew cheers. The cheers are redoubled a moment later when one of Hibiki's torpedoes finds the same ship.

There is a explosion, and when it subsides the splashes of debris falling in the area are all that can be seen. The target, PC Tiger, has been annihilated, along with her crew of 20.

Captain Ishii: Well done! Shift fire to the lead ship!

By now most of the escorts are hit or sinking. The cruisers leave them to the destroyers and their 8" guns begin to find the range on the transports. Hibiki now engages MSW Bobolink. The minesweeper's lone gun is firing defiantly. A shell falls well short of Hibiki and now Hibiki's guns find the range. The minesweeper bursts into flames.

Admiral Goto orders the column to break formation and pursue the fleeing transports. Hibiki closes and scores hits on a new target, AK Dorothy Luckenbach. The transport begins to lose headway.

Lookout: Captain! New group of ships to the north! Range 24,000 meters. Destroyers, sir, it looks like they are fleeing.

Lieutantant Miharu: Sir, Suzuya is signaling that we are to break off the attack. We are to reform in column and pursue the enemy destroyers.

Captain Ishii: Very good. Captain Ban is coming up behind us, he and his crews can finish up here.

As the fight has moved east a new group of ships has been uncovered around the eastern tip of the island. These are a trio of seaplane tenders. Converted from old Clemson class DDs, they are easily mistaken for destroyers at range by excited lookouts. The seaplane tenders have only one thought, to escape. They are too old and too slow to have a chance, however.

Hibiki and her fellows reform in a slightly ragged column and head northeast to intercept them. Hibiki is now in the van, along with Uzuki. An unequal gun battle ensues. Hibiki opens fire at 19,000 meters; as the range closes she begins scoring hits on the center ship, AVD Thornton. As the Thornton begins to burn CA Kako moves up and finishes it off.

The waters around Wake are now dotted with debris and patches of oil, some of it still aflame. Columns of smoke arise from a dozen sinking vessels. Captain Ban's destroyer division has reached the scene of battle and is busy using torpedoes to finish off what remains afloat . Hibiki and her fellow ships scan the horizon, looking in vain for the American fleet.

Radio Operator: Sir, getting reports from Hiryu. No enemy carriers, repeat, no enemy carriers. The enemy ships are transports and destroyers. Our planes are attacking, sir.

Captain Ishii: Very good. Keep me informed.

---

Excerpt from "Naval Battles of the Pacific, Volume 1: Steel Sunrise" by Morris Elliot Samuelson; Harper, Row, and Fujimori, New York, 1965

The final toll at Wake Island was three destroyers, two minesweepers, three tankers, three seaplane tenders, two gunboats, five troop transports, eight freighters, and a cutter. Japanese losses were one Zero from Kaga which was forced to ditch due to engine trouble and three crewman injured by a shell hit aboard Sazanami.

As one sided as the engagement was, it was a bitter disappointment to the Japanese who had hoped to trap the American fleet there and annihilate it. Perhaps the most enduring consequence of the battle, however, was the effect it had on relations between the US merchant marine and the Navy. This relationship had long had an adversarial element. Following the disaster at Wake, however, it plummeted to new lows. The merchant sailors were slow to forget what had happened there, and charges of abandonment...

---

First action at Wake:

---

Second action at Wake:

---

PC Tiger:

---

AVD Thornton:

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 2/24/2007 1:45:39 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 143
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 3:30:24 AM   
Japanese_Spirit

I am relieved that the Hibiki is fine and well although it is a shame you didn't have the opportunity to hit the U.S fleet good and proper. Still, hopefully you can route out the invaders on Wake Island without too much trouble. Nice update.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 144
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 3:32:11 AM   
marky

agreed

(in reply to Japanese_Spirit)
Post #: 145
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 3:32:39 AM   
marky

YES I GOT MY HONOR LEGION! WOOT!

good stuff btw cuttlefishy!

< Message edited by marky -- 2/24/2007 3:47:25 AM >

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 146
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 5:25:04 AM   
Onime No Kyo

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 147
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 5:33:31 AM   
marky

quote:

yesss thats right bow to me

LOL jk

i agree, this AAR = good stuff

Post #: 148
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 6:21:18 AM   
FeurerKrieg

Cheers for Hibiki! The first proper battle and Hibiki come out of it well so far.

Can we get an upate on Hibiki's experience stats and ammo before and after the battle?

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 149
RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki - 2/24/2007 5:51:50 PM   
princep01

Hibiki's actions and those of the entire TF were most successful in stinging the Allied TF's logistic rear and thwarting the apparant seaplane base aspirations of Nimitz and company. 

As always, well done in the "chronicles" department, too, Cuttlefish.

However, it appears the Allies have won, at least temporarily, a strategic victory in recapturing Wake Is. without terribly excessive losses.

Had I been a merchant sailor in the "logistic tail", I'd have been a wee, tiny bit resentful too, I suppose.

(in reply to FeurerKrieg)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War - The Voyages of the Hibiki Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI