Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

COTA.....wow

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> COTA.....wow Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
COTA.....wow - 2/21/2007 8:14:56 PM   
cavalryman

What a superb game COTA is. Having smuggly felt I had the Jerries where I wanted them, dash me if the bu****s didn't out flank me, cut off my supplies and damn near encircle me! Gad zooks!
Post #: 1
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/21/2007 8:51:59 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ahhh...welcome to the COTA world of fun!

Wego and IgoUgo wargames just won't be the same for you!

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to cavalryman)
Post #: 2
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/22/2007 5:44:27 AM   
ravinhood

**Wego and IgoUgo wargames just won't be the same for you! **

Nope they sure won't, they'll actually be BETTER for you. ;) Wego/IgoUgo best gaming system and you can play them PBEM unlike COTA or HTTR. :) So, you get more for your money with Wego/IgoUgo cause you have more opportunities to play other real people without having to setup time frames and being able to be somewhere at a specific time.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 3
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/22/2007 9:15:07 AM   
Arjuna

ravinhood,

It really riles you that so many others think COTA is great. Doesn't it?

Perhaps they're not convinced by your unsupported statements ( like "they'll actually be BETTER for you" ), expressed as though they are facts but in fact are nothing but your own subjective view.

Oh and BTW did you see the swag of awards COTA has picked up including the War-historical Best Wargame of the Year for 2006 ( as voted by members of the newsgroup ). And over half of all people who voted for the Best Wargame of 2006 on the Armchair General/Xtreme Gamer site voted for COTA. Not bad, hey?

Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 4
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/22/2007 9:23:57 AM   
Terminus

It's a very good game, and trolls like ravinhood can't change that...

< Message edited by Terminus -- 2/22/2007 9:37:55 AM >

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 5
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 4:10:38 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
Oh and BTW did you see the swag of awards COTA has picked up including the War-historical Best Wargame of the Year for 2006 ( as voted by members of the newsgroup ).

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.war-historical/browse_frm/thread/01c1eb2c6dc87868/745cfbfe0cef4819#745cfbfe0cef4819

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arjuna
And over half of all people who voted for the Best Wargame of 2006 on the Armchair General/Xtreme Gamer site voted for COTA. Not bad, hey?

http://www.xtreme-gamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63403

That's what Joe Wargamer thinks - which in itself should be a powerfull argument to convince the few remaining doubters and other assorted heretics - but the reviewers have been just as flattering :

http://cota.matrixgames.com/news&review/

If you only feel comfortable in the fuzzy warmth of hexes and turn-based games it might not be something for you, but if you want to experience what it feels like to be a *real* WWII corps level commander instead of bean counting to get the maximum number of 3-1 odds attacks each turn there's no substitute.

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Arjuna)
Post #: 6
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 4:55:02 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Wego/IgoUgo best gaming system...

Yeah, if you're an eighty-year-old white chick.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 7
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 4:56:17 PM   
Terminus

Maybe that's what ravinhood is...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 8
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 5:01:47 PM   
James Ward

quote:

if you want to experience what it feels like to be a *real* WWII corps level commander instead of bean counting to get the maximum number of 3-1 odds attacks each turn there's no substitute.

So the game comes with dead bodies and the smell of Napalm?

Seriously, I've never played COTA but it has gotten good reviews. I think each person has their favorite type of game system and the more types the better. I'm no fan of the traditional RTS clickfests but I did like EU and Hearts of Iron. One day I hope to try this system too and I may be suprise to like it or I may hate it but at least it's out there.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 9
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 6:32:00 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: James Ward

quote:

if you want to experience what it feels like to be a *real* WWII corps level commander instead of bean counting to get the maximum number of 3-1 odds attacks each turn there's no substitute.

So the game comes with dead bodies and the smell of Napalm?

As Napalm is a US WII invention and COTA is set before Pearl Harbour that's not in the game as it would violate the strict historical rules this game adhers to

Dead bodies however, are all over the place - usually in my own team when one of my many daft plans has been foiled once again by the AI

quote:

I'm no fan of the traditional RTS clickfests but I did like EU and Hearts of Iron. One day I hope to try this system too and I may be suprise to like it or I may hate it but at least it's out there.

One thing you need to know : this is not a RTS clickfest wargame, that's why the developers prefer to call it a PCT (Pausable Continuous Time) game.

To see it in action, download this movie file (avi in zip):

http://cota.matrixgames.com/downloads/cota%20-%205%20minute%20guide%20v2.0.zip

Or read MarkShots excellent AAR's (pdf in zip) :

ftp://ftp.matrixgames.com/pub/conquestoftheaegean/COTA%20Mini-Guide%20Dec-22-2005.zip

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 10
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 8:09:49 PM   
wodin

Best game yet that recreates the battlefield above squad\platoon level.

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 11
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 8:22:20 PM   
Kuokkanen

COTA = Conquest of the Aegean?
I've downloaded and watched video files. So it's RTS and smallest piece of unit is company, right? And that's in Mediterra...something, right? Are there available any scenarios from other fronts with relevant unit information?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 12
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 8:32:17 PM   
kilowatts

Someday all computer wargames will work this way. The hex is dead (finally), most game developers just haven't realized it yet. In the future games designed for PBEM may not be PCT (see above) and they may use fixed resolution periods (turns) instead but they won't use hexes.

Just look at WitP, here's a great game with a BEAUTIFUL map. But all that nice artwork has no effect on either movement or combat. Shame to waste all that data.

(in reply to cavalryman)
Post #: 13
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 8:47:41 PM   
James Ward

quote:

ORIGINAL: kilowatts

Someday all computer wargames will work this way. The hex is dead (finally), most game developers just haven't realized it yet.

Why would you say that?

Personally I like turn based hex games best over all other type. That doesn't mean I don't like any other style but to say ALL wargames will work this way is a bit of a stretch don't you think?

(in reply to kilowatts)
Post #: 14
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/23/2007 11:00:21 PM   
mjk428

quote:

Why would you say that?

I can't answer for kilowatts but I can tell you why I'd like it if he was right.

To use WitP as an example again, the hex map has way too many anomolies that make it impossible to duplicate what was actually possible. For instance the distance from Port Moresby to several bases around it are off to the point that it puts aircraft out of range that routinely made the round trip.

With the power of modern computers we should be fighting such large scale games on a globe not a distorted flat hex map.

Turn based is still fine - although pausable accelerated real time like Harpoon Classic or the 'run 5' SSG system would be great too.

I haven't tried CotA but I own Highway to the Reich. I haven't devoted the time to learn the system because I'm not really drawn to the battles. I certainly like the concept.

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 15
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 1:10:37 AM   
kilowatts

quote:

Why would you say that?

Well okay, 'dead' is an overstatement. After all chess is still around - or so I hear.

Why I Hate Hexes, by Mike, aged 40 something, and a half.

Where did hexes come from? The hex is simply an artifact that was created by designers of board games so players can see and manage the location of units. Without a grid overlaid on the game map how could you tell where any unit actually was on the map? So unit movement is quantized by the grid - it can only be in one hex (usually) at any time. Hexes are used because they work better than squares at diagonal movement. But as mjk428 points out they still have problems.

• How big is a terrain feature, like a hill or a town? In hex-based games it either fills the hex or it doesn't exist (ASL had a work-around for some elements of this problem).

• Measurement between widely separated points (eg in calculating artillery or air range) is inaccurate.

• The rules for managing movement get extremely complex when different terrain types and movement classes are involved. Special rules are needed to handle the exceptions.

• Any hex based game has to place a limit on the number of hexes on the map, otherwise the map becomes unusable. The hex size is thus pretty much fixed by the map size. That automatically places a scale limit on the units involved OR peculiar results occur. For example in WitP the hex sizes are 60 miles, but the game allows a battalion to control the entire hex. To cope with this: more special rules and arbitrary limits.

That last point leads me to the thing I hate most about hex-based games...

ZOC

Not that I hate zones-of-control and only play games without them, or vice-versa. It's that the rules regarding ZOC are so arbitrary, regardless of whether a game has them or doesn't. Every game with ZOC has instances where neighbouring units should not have interacted. Every game without ZOC has instances where neighbouring units SHOULD have influenced each other but didn't.

But a computer doesn't need a grid to see where a unit is, it can know exactly where it is, down to cm if needed. A computer can know how much ground a unit covers, which way it is facing, what formation it is in. Most importantly a computer can show all that information to a player quickly and in a format which is visually easy to comprehend. Wait! the computer has only just got started. Besides this it can work the exact distance between units, even between individual weapons within units, know which way a unit can move and a computer can do away with ZOC by actually calculating the fire effects that neighboring units have on each other. That's only scratching the surface.

The arrival of wargames played on computers should have removed the need for hexes, but they're still going strong. I suspect it's because there's a lot of experience, and data, on designng hex-based games and that experience, and data, has simply shifted from paper maps to computer maps. The few non-hex based games on computer I've seen before mostly sucked. The one that didn't was Harpoon. At the time that Harpoon came out I thought it was only a question of time before the concept was applied to land combat. I was right, it just took longer than I expected. Developing wargames is hard work, I know because I've never done it. Most (all?) wargames use the existing knowledge base to make incremental steps. There's very little knowledge base for non-hex based games, but it's starting to build.

The shift away from hexes is underway. It started at the individual level - with flight simulations and first-person shooters. There are games available, or under development, which take the concept to higher levels. Take a look at the 'Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich' game forum here on Matrix. It's a evolutionary shift and the Airborne Assault series is just one step.

Thanks for listening,

Mike

Appendix A

A game can be non-hex based and still be 'turn' oriented. It could also be real-time and hex-based - but what would be the point in that? For a non-hex based game with 'turns' the process would work as follows: you would plot your actions for the next resolution period (= turn) whether it's a day or a week or a month. Your human or AI opponent does the same. When you both are ready a computer, could be yours or your opponents or a central server, resolves the plot. The resolving computer would not use the normal sequence of play we're all familiar with. Instead the computer will actually run a simulation of the units moving, firing, construction, demolition, servicing etc and record the results. Then you and your opponent receive the results and review what went on during the resolution. Based on the current information you'll make your new plot etc. The only difference between this and PCT is the P part. Pauses will be at fixed intervals, not as needed by the player.

Appendix B

The far future ... not only will future games be non-hex based and PCT they'll almost certainly be online as well. In that case you will be unable to tell whether you are playing a computer or a human. Even if you have chat turned on.

< Message edited by kilowatts -- 2/24/2007 1:36:10 AM >

(in reply to James Ward)
Post #: 16
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 2:08:04 AM   
JudgeDredd

Not a problem for me whether a game is wego, igougo or pct (pausible continous time). The only real game type, in terms of war recreation, I have a problem with is RTS...and even then, just for excellent graphical genius and some good tactical situations, I will forgive Company of Heroes for being this type of game.

But I kind of look at Ravinhood, and, to be fair to him, anyone else that shuns a game because of it's "implimented method", as one of those people that votes Labour because "they've always been Labour" or Conservative because they've "always been Conservative" (democrat and republican to my American friends)...and I've never seen the point in this.

For example, in Government, I don't really give a rats ass what party they are from...if they are providing me with a better way of life and less tax, blah, blah, blah, then I will vote for them....the exact same goes for wargames...if it's fun, why bother what the game method is....play the damned thing.

The one problem I have with Ravinhood (and, again to be fair, anyone else who slags off a game) is slagging a game off that they do not have...they don't have a right to do it and should not. If you want to blast COTA's system, then at the very least have the courtesy to buy it, try it first hand...then if it sucks, by all means, post so...but don't slag a game off (or indeed a new method) just because it's not the normal way you play!

Peace to all.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to kilowatts)
Post #: 17
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 2:11:13 AM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I can't order the game although I was planning to play a bit this weekend.  matrixgames website won't process the order.  Some type of error   I called the girl said they'll get back to me   On Friday night I'm sure of it   Oh well, maybe monday I'll be able to get it and offer my fascinating insights.  I never tried a game like this before.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 18
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 2:35:33 AM   
UndercoverNotChickenSalad

I figured out a trouble w/ the ordering to whoever it concerns:

I've moved since the last game I bought from matrixgames, but my credit card is the same.

For some reason I checked order status, and I found out that it did have record of the last thing I bought, thats when I noticed the old address. When I put in my old address it did process my new order. Obviously it checks the address w/ the credit card #. In my opinion that is a problem.  I don't know if its matrixgames or digital river who checkes this info.  But the result is that when someone moves, they'll have the same problem I just had. I have no idea how I figured out what happened, just dumb luck.

Take care

Post #: 19
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 2:44:53 AM   
cdbeck

Hex based is fine, and so it RTS (I like all types of RTS, I'm no grognard). I really like the COTA system a lot, and it leads to some awesome battles. I have yet to really delve as deep as I want to with it, but I am getting there. As said before, it certainly isn't a "clickfest" and that type of play actually would ruin you with the order delays activated.

Grats on all the awards Arjuna! Although it may not be Ravinhood's cup of tea (his right to opinion), it certainly is an innovative system that has only improved from the HTTR days.

Best,
Son of Montfort

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade
Post #: 20
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 4:46:59 AM   
Twotribes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

It's a very good game, and trolls like ravinhood can't change that...

I see your posting style hasnt changed.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 5:29:51 AM   
Harry Flashman

Just wanted to say that its a great game...and quite different from what I'm used to. I was not planning to buy it because there was no demo (seems to be a problem with a lot of wargames) BUT I picked it up based on the 5 minute video preview and have been loving it ever since.

That preview was a really great idea. Screenshots and review blurbs only go so far.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 22
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 10:45:11 AM   
sterckxe

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
COTA = Conquest of the Aegean?

Yup

quote:

I've downloaded and watched video files. So it's RTS and smallest piece of unit is company, right?

Almost - there's platoons too for things like mortar, AT, even the occasional tank platoon - it depends on the historical data - if that ANZAC brigade had 3 Valentines at Crete, they'll get a platoon of 3 Valentines.

quote:

And that's in Mediterra...something, right? Are there available any scenarios from other fronts with relevant unit information?

COTA = The 1941 Axis campaign in the Med..something - encompassing Greek, Crete and what-if Malta scenarios
HTTR = Highway to the Reich = the older sister, very much alike - encompassing the 1944 Market-Garden campaign (You know : Arnhem, Bridge too Far, that sort of stuff)

Currently Panther Games is working on a Bulge setting for their game - Arjuna regularly posts updates over here :
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=414

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 23
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 3:46:30 PM   
ravinhood

[Appendix B

The far future ... not only will future games be non-hex based and PCT they'll almost certainly be online as well. In that case you will be unable to tell whether you are playing a computer or a human. Even if you have chat turned on. ]

Did you happen to notice in the Star Wars episode where Chewy was playing a computer game with R2D2 that while the actual pieces were animated as in "real like" the game was "TURN BASED" haha Yeah boy the far future is gonna get rid of turn based. NOT! lol

You guys can play those kiddie clickfests if yah want to. I'm not going to waste my time or money on them. I don't like them, never did, never will. Only RTS games I'll ever like are solo single player where there is only one character/unit to have to deal with in real time for THAT is the ONLY thing that is CLOSE to the REALISM of these RTS games to include these PRT or PCT that Arjuna continues to try to convince ME that they are something special when to ME they are NOT! (why keep trying Arjuna?haha)....when you have more than one unit to move it's RTS kiddie clickfest. Same for CC series. If it aint got built in predetermined stoppage or at least a built in let the player input the time stoppage mode then it SUKS and is a kiddie clickfest game (to me)! And that's the truth PFFFFTTP! ;)~

[JudgeDread-HEAD] said this:
The one problem I have with Ravinhood (and, again to be fair, anyone else who slags off a game) is slagging a game off that they do not have...they don't have a right to do it and should not. If you want to blast COTA's system, then at the very least have the courtesy to buy it, try it first hand...then if it sucks, by all means, post so...but don't slag a game off (or indeed a new method) just because it's not the normal way you play! }

Seems I have to tell you hardheads every time someone writes this above crap like Dreadhead. I don't have to own anything to review a game. I get to play nearly every game that is released that I want to. So, I certainly can give opinion on COTA....BTW ignorant Dreadhead I DO OWN HTTR, played it ONCE and poof it's off my hard-drive, what a poc game. (to me) So deal with it... I'm not here to make you happy with games you like I should like, that's pretty obdurate of YOU.

BTW I thought you said you were "never going to post here anymore"....cause you got mad cause one of the threads you were fired up in about "government" (as you've brought up again in THIS thread) got locked. Doesn't seem like you can leave government out or realize everyone else's opinion has just as much weight as yours does. You don't hold any offices or nobel peace prizes that I'm aware of. lol

< Message edited by ravinhood -- 2/24/2007 4:10:55 PM >

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 24
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 3:57:25 PM   
Terl

quote:

....when you have more than one unit to move it's RTS kiddie clickfest. Same for CC series. If it aint got built in predetermined stoppage or at least a built in let the player input the time stoppage mode then it SUKS and is a kiddie clickfest game (to me)! And that's the truth PFFFFTTP! ;)~

So far from the truth ravinhood, so far from the truth. It is not a clickfest at all. I love being able to give orders to my battalion commanders and have them "command" their subordinate units. If I, as the commander, want to go down and take over for a subordinate I can. I still enjoy my hex games and always will, but, with these games, your assumptions are way off. I do not really care for RTS either(especially all that resource gathering and such); but, I purchased HTTR recently and it is not what you would think and certainly not like your assertions above. I can hardly wait to buy CotA too.

< Message edited by Terl -- 2/24/2007 4:12:58 PM >

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 25
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 4:22:32 PM   
jvgfanatic

quote:

[Appendix B

The far future ... not only will future games be non-hex based and PCT they'll almost certainly be online as well. In that case you will be unable to tell whether you are playing a computer or a human. Even if you have chat turned on. ]

Did you happen to notice in the Star Wars episode where Chewy was playing a computer game with R2D2 that while the actual pieces were animated as in "real like" the game was "TURN BASED" haha Yeah boy the far future is gonna get rid of turn based. NOT! lol

You guys can play those kiddie clickfests if yah want to. I'm not going to waste my time or money on them. I don't like them, never did, never will. Only RTS games I'll ever like are solo single player where there is only one character/unit to have to deal with in real time for THAT is the ONLY thing that is CLOSE to the REALISM of these RTS games to include these PRT or PCT that Arjuna continues to try to convince ME that they are something special when to ME they are NOT! (why keep trying Arjuna?haha)....when you have more than one unit to move it's RTS kiddie clickfest. Same for CC series. If it aint got built in predetermined stoppage or at least a built in let the player input the time stoppage mode then it SUKS and is a kiddie clickfest game (to me)! And that's the truth PFFFFTTP! ;)~

[JudgeDread-HEAD] said this:
The one problem I have with Ravinhood (and, again to be fair, anyone else who slags off a game) is slagging a game off that they do not have...they don't have a right to do it and should not. If you want to blast COTA's system, then at the very least have the courtesy to buy it, try it first hand...then if it sucks, by all means, post so...but don't slag a game off (or indeed a new method) just because it's not the normal way you play! }

Seems I have to tell you hardheads every time someone writes this above crap like Dreadhead. I don't have to own anything to review a game. I get to play nearly every game that is released that I want to. So, I certainly can give opinion on COTA....BTW ignorant Dreadhead I DO OWN HTTR, played it ONCE and poof it's off my hard-drive, what a poc game. (to me) So deal with it... I'm not here to make you happy with games you like I should like, that's pretty obdurate of YOU.

BTW I thought you said you were "never going to post here anymore"....cause you got mad cause one of the threads you were fired up in about "government" (as you've brought up again in THIS thread) got locked. Doesn't seem like you can leave government out or realize everyone else's opinion has just as much weight as yours does. You don't hold any offices or nobel peace prizes that I'm aware of. lol

Name calling, irresistable urge to piss on someone else's parade, high-handed and all consuming opinion without subjectivity. What more could we ask for? Oh the memories of 7th grade...welcome to gamefaqs.com!

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 26
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 7:20:00 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

But a computer doesn't need a grid to see where a unit is, it can know exactly where it is, down to cm if needed. A computer can know how much ground a unit covers, which way it is facing, what formation it is in. Most importantly a computer can show all that information to a player quickly and in a format which is visually easy to comprehend. Wait! the computer has only just got started. Besides this it can work the exact distance between units, even between individual weapons within units, know which way a unit can move and a computer can do away with ZOC by actually calculating the fire effects that neighboring units have on each other. That's only scratching the surface.

Some good points and there already are number of games which has some of that stuff: Total War serie comes to mind. There are also some very realistic games without hexes and I remember reading review of one but I don't remember game's name. I remember reading there aren't hexes, it might be real time, every rifle and every bullet is calculated and game is very realistic but not very user friendly. D'oh, I don't even remember year!

quote:

The arrival of wargames played on computers should have removed the need for hexes, but they're still going strong. I suspect it's because there's a lot of experience, and data, on designng hex-based games and that experience, and data, has simply shifted from paper maps to computer maps.

I believe that it's also easier for players to understand hexes: it's much simplier to see that given target is 500 meters (10 hexes in SPWAW) away than guess without hexes is it 500, 450 or 550 meters. Just one example here.

quote:

The few non-hex based games on computer I've seen before mostly sucked. The one that didn't was Harpoon.

Does Total War, Combat Mission and Close Combat belong along those which suck?

quote:

A game can be non-hex based and still be 'turn' oriented.

There are wargames like that without computers, like Warhammers (Fantasy Battles & 40k). Also some other games with hex roots have grown out of it. Classic BattleTech comes to mind. Anyways many players prefer hexes becouse it makes game easier to understand, on and off computers.

quote:

It could also be real-time and hex-based - but what would be the point in that?

Titans of Steel can be counted among those ones. Points: every action takes time, and when given action is complete in given time (move to hex) or more possible actions presents itself (enemy shows up), game is paused and waits action from player. Some even like it.

quote:

For a non-hex based game with 'turns' the process would work as follows: you would plot your actions for the next resolution period (= turn) whether it's a day or a week or a month. Your human or AI opponent does the same. When you both are ready a computer, could be yours or your opponents or a central server, resolves the plot. The resolving computer would not use the normal sequence of play we're all familiar with. Instead the computer will actually run a simulation of the units moving, firing, construction, demolition, servicing etc and record the results. Then you and your opponent receive the results and review what went on during the resolution. Based on the current information you'll make your new plot etc. The only difference between this and PCT is the P part. Pauses will be at fixed intervals, not as needed by the player.

Combat Mission serie works much like that. Your descriptions fits also for VGA Planets and Stars! (never played these 2).

quote:

COTA = The 1941 Axis campaign in the Med..something - encompassing Greek, Crete and what-if Malta scenarios
HTTR = Highway to the Reich = the older sister, very much alike - encompassing the 1944 Market-Garden campaign (You know : Arnhem, Bridge too Far, that sort of stuff)

So nobody has modded COTA/HTTR yet to include maps and stuff from elsewhere? Is it even possible?

quote:

Did YOU notice this at beginning of movie:

quote:

A long time ago
and so on

quote:

I do not really care for RTS either(especially all that resource gathering and such)

Resource gathering? Does CC and COTA/HTTR have that too?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to jvgfanatic)
Post #: 27
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 7:42:28 PM   
sterckxe

quote:

There are also some very realistic games without hexes and I remember reading review of one but I don't remember game's name. I remember reading there aren't hexes, it might be real time, every rifle and every bullet is calculated and game is very realistic but not very user friendly. D'oh, I don't even remember year!

Sounds like the ATF engine from ProSimco - games like Raging Tiger, The Star and the Crescent are based upon that engine. A bit similar as the Panther Games engine, but on a strictly tactical scale and with a bit less friendly UI.

quote:

quote:

So nobody has modded COTA/HTTR yet to include maps and stuff from elsewhere? Is it even possible?

Of course, COTA/HTTR come with the same map and scenario editor Panther Games are using. In fact all the maps and scenarios for the upcoming Bulge game are being created using the map and scenario editor of COTA.

There are a couple of fine user created mods for HTTR as well as COTA - JudgeDread who is also posting in this thread has made a really good Cyprus what-if one - took me a a couple of tries to crack it

Just visit the forum for the links.

quote:

Nope, in COTA and HTTR you're the corps commander, not the kitchen feldwebel scrounging around for potatoes

Greetz,

Eddy Sterckx

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 28
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 7:52:23 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: sterckxe

quote:

quote:

Of course, COTA/HTTR come with the same map and scenario editor Panther Games are using. In fact all the maps and scenarios for the upcoming Bulge game are being created using the map and scenario editor of COTA.

There are a couple of fine user created mods for HTTR as well as COTA

Anything on Finland front?

quote:

quote:

Nope, in COTA and HTTR you're the corps commander, not the kitchen feldwebel scrounging around for potatoes

I really don't get it what that mean... can troops starve to death or not?

< Message edited by Matti Kuokkanen -- 2/24/2007 8:07:38 PM >

MekWars

(in reply to sterckxe)
Post #: 29
RE: COTA.....wow - 2/24/2007 8:01:23 PM   
JudgeDredd

quote:

Are you really, actually saying the future of gaming is turned based purely based on a 1977 sci-fi, fictional film? OMG!

Ravinhood, every time you post, you belittle yourself further...everytime I read one of your posts, you seem younger. I have no idea now what age you are. Carry on with your name calling...it kind of doesn't hurt me.

As for this
quote:

BTW I thought you said you were "never going to post here anymore"

It's none of your business why I decided to post again and I can post where and when I like. Use the little green button.

As for mentioning Government in this thread, it was not an opinionated post about a particular party, rather I suggesting I never understood why someone would vote for one party over another just because "that's always been so"...if that's against the rules of the forum, then I'll apologise to the forum owners...not you.

As I said in my previous post anyway, I have an open mind to game method. I have no need to apologise for that as I get to play more good games than you do. You close the door on a particular genre if you wish. I don't care...it's your loss.

And if you DID own HTTR, then you would know that it is not a clickfest. So you are either lying, blind, or have no idea how to play the game.

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 2/24/2007 11:39:00 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> COTA.....wow Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI