Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Consumers: Call to "Arms"!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Consumers: Call to "Arms"! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 6:14:50 PM   
himmelstoss

Dear fellow consumers,

I know it seems silly but I think its sad that i have to do this.

Here is what I have e-mailed to Matrix Games after a week of unsuccessfully battle with the multi player:

"To whom it may concern,

I have recently purchased close combat: cross of iron under the Order#: XXXXXXXX, on 12-Feb-07.

After a gruesome week of trial and never-ending errors I am fed up with getting the multi player to work.

This game is not ready for multi player as advertised and I would like to ask for a partial refund as the single player is obviously working.

I am sick and tired as a client of many a game purchases to be ripped of by the gaming industry that deems it not necessary to bring a fully working product on the market.

I know that I most likely will not get any response form you but it sure feels good to not budge down and take such unprofessional business practices.

I will further on carry the fight against those kind of practices where ever I can and encourage every gamer out there to rise up and start to complain about these issues instead of being "sheepeold" into silence.

Best,

himmelstoss"

Please fellow consumers for your own good and future purchases think about my words and react accordingly!

Game on,

himmelstoss

tell it like you think it is!

Post #: 1
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 6:31:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

We are not ripping anyone off, Himmelstoss. I'm sorry your experience has been a bad one so far, but we are working to fix the problems you are experiencing. You are basically piling all your negative gaming experiences on our heads while we are working to fix the reported MMCCIII issues, which are affecting _some_ customers. You are also assuming that we simply don't care about our customers, despite constant evidence to the contrary.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to himmelstoss)
Post #: 2
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 7:35:53 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: himmelstoss
I am sick and tired as a client of many a game purchases to be ripped of by the gaming industry that deems it not necessary to bring a fully working product on the market.

The 17th word on the 1rst line is "of" and should be "off."

Post #: 3
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 9:44:51 PM   
Shadrach

Have to agree with himmelstoss' harsh words there... However, although *really* disappointed with COI multiplayer, I'm not going to ask for a refund.

BUT I would strongly urge the developers to throw this old, deprecated and waaay too complex 'MSN Gaming'/Directplay BS out with the garbage, and completely rewrite the multiplayer code from scratch, before releasing any Close Combat 6 or the like. At least if you want my money a second time.

In the meantime, its no head2head COI for me, after spending a couple of evening hours on BHQ today. Nice helpful people there, but no luck getting things to work... same problems as everyone else. Bah.

-Stian

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 4
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 11:41:09 PM   
e_barkmann

Same problems as everyone else?? !!

CC MP works just fine.

Has for 10 years and more.

Problem is not in the game.

Suggestion: Has anyone actually posted their CPE specs here to help Matrix troubleshoot?

I mean, some people are jumping up and down but haven't actually specified what they have and how they connect.

I'm sure doing this here would help alot.

Give them a proper snapshot of what you have, ie:

Internode ADSL broadband service (ISP does not filter ports), 1500/256k, terminated via a Linksys WAG54G V2 ADSL router using PPPoE protocol. Linksys firewall enabled.
Router running firmware version 2.1.

Router LAN IP is 192.168.1.1
Router WAN IP is 150.101.234.114.

Client PC connected via ethernet port to router. PC running XP SP2 with (insert hardware specs)
XP Security Centre fully enabled.
Internet software installed includes ZoneAlarm, etc ...
PC LAN IP is 192.168.1.2, assigned via Linksys DHCP server.

This is my ping test to my opponent:

C:\Documents and Settings\Chris>ping 150.101.203.132

Pinging 150.101.203.132 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 150.101.203.132: bytes=32 time=22ms TTL=61
Reply from 150.101.203.132: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=61

Ping statistics for 150.101.203.132:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 21ms, Maximum = 22ms, Average = 21ms

When I try and connect, this is what happens....

Here is my dx diag attached.....

All the above information is readily available from your desktop and will help getting your problem resolved.

cheers Chris

< Message edited by Chris Merchant -- 2/20/2007 11:58:03 PM >

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 5
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/20/2007 11:58:22 PM   
Shadrach

quote:

Same problems as everyone else?? !!

Well, the same as everyone else who has problems then.

Regarding ping - how important is it to making the game work, does it actually require that your ip is pingable?

-S

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 6
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 12:07:10 AM   
Terl

If you can't ping it you are not connected.  Also if the ping time is high or packet loss is bad it will negatively affect gameplay.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 7
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 1:57:16 AM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

We are not ripping anyone off, Himmelstoss. I'm sorry your experience has been a bad one so far, but we are working to fix the problems you are experiencing. You are basically piling all your negative gaming experiences on our heads while we are working to fix the reported MMCCIII issues, which are affecting _some_ customers. You are also assuming that we simply don't care about our customers, despite constant evidence to the contrary.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik,

Yes I am piling all my negatives on you guys right now as I have to start somewhere. But I will do so in other game forums as well from now on when ever I feel that it seems just not right.

It would have bin a nice idea to make a general post on that obviously larger problem telling everyone who is struggling with it that it’s under investigation and that help might be on the way. No wonder that someone (in this case me) gets frustrated and kind of lashes out. I probably would not have said anything if some official post had showed up.

Anyhow sorry for my strong words and I still love your Panzer Command and guess know now you guys do your best.

Thanks,

himmelstoss

Ps: Oh and LarryP! I am German and suppose to make mistakes in spelling and grammar, so as for your reply: You Sir are a Jerk!

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 8
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 2:00:28 AM   
Beeblebrox

quote:

Please fellow consumers for your own good and future purchases think about my words and react accordingly!
And do these words include commentary about the many more gamers who are playing fine, enjoying it, and having fun?  Also remember to include words about the active and reactive Community, Developer, and Publisher support that has been there since day 1?  You see, that's where you let yourself down.  You may have a pretty good beef, but then you go and screw it up by getting carried away, and before you know it, it just comes across as ranting.  Just thought you ought to know...

Demonstrate your complaints in open Forum by all means.  Contrary to the opinions of some, comments are noted.  It would be a shame to lose track of yours due to ill measured delivery?

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 9
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 2:09:56 AM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: Beeblebrox

quote:

And do these words include commentary about the many more gamers who are playing fine, enjoying it, and having fun?  Also remember to include words about the active and reactive Community, Developer, and Publisher support that has been there since day 1?  You see, that's where you let yourself down.  You may have a pretty good beef, but then you go and screw it up by getting carried away, and before you know it, it just comes across as ranting.  Just thought you ought to know...

Demonstrate your complaints in open Forum by all means.  Contrary to the opinions of some, comments are noted.  It would be a shame to lose track of yours due to ill measured delivery?

ahh...what? i guess you are too smart for me. I am but a simple man, please teach me more master.

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 10
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 3:17:09 AM   
k9mike

Totally concur with you Himmelstross. I have tried everything and cant get anything going on any of the multiplayer, and now there is like no one in the BHQ. So, kinda hard trying other options. I really was excited about the MMCCIII, and cant get that to work either. This is an old game that was resurrected, and I was happy about that, but very dissapointed with what has transpired. I really think I should have waited... Oh well, wouldnt be the first time I gave up the cash on something I was dissapointed in. Just sucks, money doesnt come that easy anymore...lol. OH yah, I really like your avatar! Now that was a great movie!
Mike

Post #: 11
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 3:32:14 AM   
Andrew Williams

Himmelstoss

That is a dissapointing post.

I spent a very long time trying to get you connected in BHQ.

You are obviously unaware of the technology you have at you hands.

You did not know you had a router, let alone how to configure it.

You can not put the blame on other peoples shoulders when you are not master of your equipment.

have you phoned Apple Airport tech support yet?

Have you phoned you ISP tech support yet?

Are your Firewalls down?

Have you forwarded your ports.

In each case you can answer no, I believe.

These are basics in multiplayer gaming, especially when you have a network, and particularly a mixed Mac PC network.

You must do your homework at your end before shifting the blame.

I have had 4 h2h games this morning, against 4 different opponents... .

Multiplayer works if you set up you equipment correctly.

with thanks
schrecken

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 12
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 5:51:36 AM   
k9mike

This is the first time in all the gaming I have experienced that I had this much trouble! I am not the only one, there are loads of others, so there IS a problem. It should not be this Damn hard to play a friggin game online. NO Excuses! Especially a game this old...
Mike

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 13
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 6:05:29 AM   
e_barkmann

have you posted your system specs yet?

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 14
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 6:11:58 AM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: himmelstoss
Ps: Oh and LarryP! I am German and suppose to make mistakes in spelling and grammar, so as for your reply: You Sir are a Jerk!

I was only trying to lighten up the mood. I am sorry if I offended you as I never meant to. Sometimes my humor is misunderstood, but I hardly think calling me a name is appropriate.

Before I posted my reply, I looked your profile up and nothing is said about where you are from. Like most of the other profiles here.

< Message edited by LarryP -- 2/21/2007 6:28:15 AM >

Post #: 15
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 6:14:32 AM   
KWP

Have you read the readme file?

quote:

Firewall

A common connectivity issue is your firewall settings. When you attempt to connect with your online opponent and you can not locate each other, shrink out using the “windows” key, and check for a 'windows' or other security program warning. This warning will indicate that your program is being blocked and you will be asked to make a response similar to:

1.) “Always allows connections for this program (Cross of Iron)” or
2.) “Allow just this instance”

The selection you choose is entirely up to you depending upon frequency of use. The verbiage might not be exactly the same but the process is similar for most systems. Please refer to your system documentation for how to configure your Firewall for connectivity.

If you are using Windows XP Firewall, one way to help you get around this issue is to “Allow Exceptions” for this program by entering the “control panel”, selecting “Windows Firewall” then find Close Combat III and “check” the box that allows that program to interface with other users.

Routers

With Broadband and Cable connections being so much more common, you may find that you will not be able to connect to another player online. This can be due to NAT (Name Address Translation), Port Forwarding, and Firewall services running on the Router. You should also check that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) Account will support online gaming, as they may need to make some adjustments, or assist you with your connectivity.

The IP Number (your address on the Internet) must be the Public IP Number that connects the Router/Modem to your ISP. With NAT, it is normal for your PC to have a Private IP Number which is not valid on the Internet, and the Router allows the connection to work. This is a secure way to connect to the Internet, but may need modifying to allow for online gaming with Close Combat and other online gaming. If you are not sure about this, you will need to get support from your ISP or Router Vendor.

Port Forwarding

In order to play online, Close Combat needs to be able to communicate on a number of ‘Ports’. Normally these Ports will probably be blocked, so you will have to change the configuration of your Router (where this happens).

A word of caution; it is potentially dangerous to allow an uncontrolled connection from the Internet to your Computer. The Firewall is there to prevent exactly this kind of behaviour. It may be tempting to switch off all your connection security to make getting an online game easier. For example, some Routers provide a DMZ (De-Militarized Zone), which is simply an open connection to the Internet. Unless you have adequate independent security on your PC, we do not recommend this, and one of the securities you would want to have is a Firewall!

Although we are not experts in the Community, we will always try and assist you if you have connectivity problems. Visit the CSO Close Combat Forums (see Links at end).

These are the Ports that are required for a successful H2H connection:

47624 TCP
6073 TCP
2300~2400 TCP
2300~2400 UDP

If you are trying to connect to an online MMCCIII Campaign, then you may need to include the Port Number that the Campaign is running on.

Head to Head (H2H) play:

If you use the BattleHQ Game Lobbies (BHQ) to launch head-to-head games, make sure you check “Direct Play” Close Combat Cross of Iron in the direct play menu box, and then allow BHQ to launch Close Combat III.

(in reply to k9mike)
Post #: 16
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 6:18:33 AM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: schrecken

Himmelstoss

That is a dissapointing post.

I spent a very long time trying to get you connected in BHQ.

You are obviously unaware of the technology you have at you hands.

You did not know you had a router, let alone how to configure it.

You can not put the blame on other peoples shoulders when you are not master of your equipment.

have you phoned Apple Airport tech support yet?

Have you phoned you ISP tech support yet?

Are your Firewalls down?

Have you forwarded your ports.

In each case you can answer no, I believe.

These are basics in multiplayer gaming, especially when you have a network, and particularly a mixed Mac PC network.

You must do your homework at your end before shifting the blame.

I have had 4 h2h games this morning, against 4 different opponents... .

Multiplayer works if you set up you equipment correctly.

with thanks
schrecken

Schrecken,

I do not think that every one as a gamer should be an f-ing pc-wiz just to play some game online!! lol

I can see that this is useless. Karma will take care of the rest.

But again thx for your initial help schrecken and as i understand your connection to Matrix Games I shalt not be offended by your post.

Adios Amigos,

himmelstoss

Post #: 17
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 6:36:39 AM   
ANZAC_Tack

struth...

i been playing CoI for some months now,as a tester, and its been a dream.

AMD3500+,windowsXPsp2.

that is all i have to say, it works.

ANZAC_Tack

Post #: 18
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 7:15:31 AM   
cdbeck

Not to be "preachy" but I have always found, when sending letters of complaint, putting the most positive slant possible gets the best results. For example, this style is much more effective:

"Dear (Insert Game Company),

First, I would like to say that I am a big fan of the games that you produce. I am the proud owner of (insert games name), and (again game name), and I am an active member on your forums. That is why I am shocked by some of the problems that I have encounter playing Close Combat: Cross of Iron."

You then give a very neutral account of the problem that you are having (i.e. the multiplayer bug that you encountered). You end the letter with a statement similar to this:

"I hope that this problem can be resolved in a timely manner. I have always been a fan of your quality products and I know that this particular bug is not representative of the quality of your work that I have come to expect."

9 times out of 10, you will get personal attention and some sort of special treatment attempting to rectify whatever error you are getting. Recently, an unnamed gamer producer (not Matrix) not only made sure that a game I ordered was on its way to me, but also gave me access to a digital download copy to use until the game got into my hands (there was a shipping error). You catch more flies with honey than vinegar, and a cordial letter of complaint will seem much more reasonable than a "call to arms" or a rudely worded "ultimatum."

We are all wargamers here, so we all should know that using tact and diplomacy is 80% of a successful campaign. Again, sorry to be preachy, but I feel that online communities tend to be first hostile to the developer/producer, then silently appreciative when the problem is worked out.

Son of Montfort

< Message edited by Son_of_Montfort -- 2/21/2007 7:29:51 AM >

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to ANZAC_Tack)
Post #: 19
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 12:21:30 PM   
Andrew Williams

How to port forward on an Apple Airport router:

http://www.haxial.com/faq/routerconfig/airport/

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 20
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/21/2007 4:53:33 PM   
LarryP

quote:

ORIGINAL: Son_of_Montfort

Not to be "preachy" but I have always found, when sending letters of complaint, putting the most positive slant possible gets the best results. For example, this style is much more effective:

Son of Montfort

Amen brother! Seriously now, that is an excellent post and you are 101% correct! I have done it both ways, never to go back to the bitchy one.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 21
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/22/2007 5:55:03 PM   
7A_CavScout

This is what is wrong with the current new breed of gamers - lack of patience and will power. They expect everything to be handed to them quickly and without a glitch. And like a child, they throw a tantrum when they don't get what they want or right away.

The game has only been out for a short time and with todays PC systems having so many options for security, networking and whatever else, one could expect to have some problems arise. But, you have to give the game developers a chance to work through the problems and find a fix - not an overnight thing to do.

I've had my fair share of problems since buying COI. Couldn't connect for MP either IP direct or BHQ, and still haven't been able to connect to MMCCIII. But I am not discouraged. I've know this Close Combat community for way too long to know that there are too many helpful players around and that I won't be down for long. Just the other day, two great fellow CC players helped me get connected to at least MP on BHQ - a BIG thanks to KWP and Shrecken for all your help. I also know that Matrix or CSO, whom some are dedicated Close Combat players, will not leave anyone out in the cold on this matter. I can rest assured that Matrix, CSO and the CC community are all working hard to resolve this issues as soon as possible.

Have patience. The last thing any of us want to do is lose a Close Combat player.
Come hang out on BHQ, and we'll work together to get each others problems solved one by one.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 22
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/22/2007 6:14:07 PM   
Muzrub

Well good for you.

Its not a matter of losing a player, its mans greivence and he has the right to have it.
You can take your issue's as mellow as you wish, but there seems to be problems.

Man I cant believe this, its been so long- Us in the CC com, have a faith that all is good, the game is great and our belief in the genre is all good- based on our love for CC.

But we have issues, the new version- which we all waited for is not really up to scratch, and we all paid good money for it.
But lets not flog a dead horse, or maybe thats what a re-release was?

Harmlessly passing your time in the grassland away;
Only dimly aware of a certain unease in the air.
You better watch out,
There may be dogs about
I've looked over Iraq, and i have seen
Things are not what they seem.

Matrix Axis of Evil

(in reply to 7A_CavScout)
Post #: 23
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 8:08:09 PM   
SS_KONIG

Hello himmelstoss, i totally understand how you feel i'm experiencing the same problems as you, fortunately for me i can play my brother h2h on our home network. Hang in there buddy i'm sure we will get it working eventually and when we do it will be worth the wait.

SS_KONIG

Post #: 24
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 8:30:00 PM   
himmelstoss

quote:

ORIGINAL: SS_KONIG

Hello himmelstoss, i totally understand how you feel i'm experiencing the same problems as you, fortunately for me i can play my brother h2h on our home network. Hang in there buddy i'm sure we will get it working eventually and when we do it will be worth the wait.

SS_KONIG

Thx SS_KONIG,

I actually have found a way to solve the issue. I just disconnected my Airport and went directly into my modem. And oh wonder it worked and I played a bunch via mmcc3, and it was a blast!

I still think its sucks that one has to be a PC-Super-Geek to configure the router with all that IP forward crap. I have read all the links and web-sites that "explain" how to do it, but for a "simpleton" like me who just uses word, a tax program (once a year) and an occasional game here and there its way too over the head.

And before I get some smartass remark about my spelling or grammar skills or that I do not know how to geek out properly in forums, I want to apologize for that right away.

Game on,

himmelstoss

(in reply to SS_KONIG)
Post #: 25
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 8:47:56 PM   
studs

happy me--
since long time ago I have thrown away routers,firewalls and antivirusprograms.
reason is offcourse probs with onlineplay...
A Simple& solution

Post #: 26
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 10:19:49 PM   
Andrew Williams

quote:

routers,firewalls and antivirusprograms.

These issues should be put forcefully to the makers of these devices/programs.

But then, when you are attacked by a hacker you will blame them for not making their product secure enough.....I guess.

schreck

(in reply to studs)
Post #: 27
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 11:03:52 PM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

ORIGINAL: schrecken

But then, when you are attacked by a hacker you will blame them for not making their product secure enough.....I guess.

Exactly.

I purchased a NAT-router when we subscribed to broadband cable back in 2000. Currently, I have three wired systems on my home LAN. I keep all of them patched and have had zero security problems, NONE.

And I would never, for a moment, consider DMZ the system that I game on. The risk posed would extend beyond it, to the other systems on the LAN, and to other machines on the 'Net that might well fall victim to an infected machine with my name on it.

NAT protects my LAN from all that. This is not to say that I don't cuss it sometimes. Hosting games can be a real headache for even the best informed and equipped gamer. It's just the price that we have to pay for sharing cyber-space with vandals and thieves.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

Post #: 28
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/24/2007 11:50:24 PM   
e_barkmann

my router's firewall logs indicate regular, daily, port scans from all over the world.

Not having a firewall in place is like leaving your front door open at home.

cheers Chris

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 29
RE: Consumers: Call to "Arms"! - 2/25/2007 4:12:59 PM   
Beeblebrox

Connecting to the Internet without protection is like playing Russian Roulette where on every spin, you add another bullet to the chamber...

In a study done at some establishment (University/Company/someone - can't remember the details), an experiment was conducted into the volatility of the Internet.

They connected a range of machines to the Internet without any protection.  The first compromise happened in around 4 minutes!

There are 24x7 Robots trawling the Internet, and people behind them who are prepared to follow up.

Even on a DMZ you should try to have a local firewall running if you can.  Anti-virus/Spyware also a must (are you going to do messaging and web browsing while on the DMZ?).

It's shark infested digital waters out there...

quote:

It's just the price that we have to pay for sharing cyber-space with vandals and thieves
Indeed!

(in reply to e_barkmann)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> Consumers: Call to "Arms"! Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI