Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting a new league - advice needed

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Starting a new league - advice needed Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting a new league - advice needed - 3/3/2007 4:44:04 PM   
JimboJ

I'm getting ready to start a league with financials turned on. This will be a first for me, as I have always played without financials in the past. I want to create a small league of maybe 6 or 8 teams, with each team having equal finances.

How much do you guys usually set the available finances to? Does the amount rise with inflation? Also, when conducting the initial draft, what guidelines do you use in deciding what length contract to give? I'm thinking give the longer contracts to younger guys with high potential, and shorter ones to older guys with low potential. But then I ran a test draft, and some of the CPU teams gave 5 year contracts to 33 year old guys with ok potential, and others gave shorter contracts to younger guys with high potential. All teams were well under the $200M cap btw. So this got me kind of confused. Is there some kind of general curve where a players ratings start to decline after a certain age, or does it vary by position?

I just wanted to get some opinions on what guidelines everyone uses when signing players. I can always figure out a strategy as I go along, but I don't want to screw things up too bad getting started.
Post #: 1
RE: Starting a new league - advice needed - 3/3/2007 8:37:46 PM   
KG Erwin

I hold a dim view of financials in general, so I can't help you JimboJ.  This is an aspect of the game that could be adjusted by modders.  There's too much money floating around.   The distribution of wealth is evened out, which doesn't represent real-world baseball business at all. 

I've thought about introducing free agency and financials to my 1940s-50s association.  There is SO much extra work involved in being an everyday manager plus the GM that I decided to forgo using the finance model.  You mentioned the number one problem with it -- the AI can't handle it properly.  The AI routines are stretched pretty far just to maintain sanity in handling the rosters.  

Think carefully before doing this.  Frankly, I don't think it's worthwhile.    

(in reply to JimboJ)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> Starting a new league - advice needed Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI