Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Wargamer announced update v.3.1.0.9

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The Wargamer announced update v.3.1.0.9 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Wargamer announced update v.3.1.0.9 - 3/2/2007 8:54:52 AM   
Curious

Here's the announcement at the Wargamer:

"Matrix Games has announced a new updated version for The Operational Art of War III (TOAW III).

Here's the word on the patch. Apparently the modability of the game has increased substantially with the addition of editable equipment files:
The v3.0.1.9 update file will bring a variety of improvements and alterations to the game totaling over three dozen in all. Players of TOAW III will be excited to find a new database editor. This allows gamers to modify and create equipment database elements adding more customization their TOAW III experience. Building on an already versatile system, players can now add yet another layer of customization to their scenarios and gameplay. The update also includes seventeen new or newly revised scenarios by popular TOAW III scenario designers, a handful of bug fixes, and some improvements to game design which will make cheating in a PBEM game more difficult. In addition, this update includes an option to display unit bombardment range as well as improved unit pathfinding and a number of programmed opponent enhancements."

Where is it?! I can't find it anywhere here at Matrix. Where are updates to TOAW III available?

CB

[Edited thread title to have correct version number in it. JAM.]

< Message edited by JAMiAM -- 4/9/2007 10:25:07 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 9:11:13 AM   
Boonierat

It's not available for download yet.

How come The Wargamer gets the annoucement first

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 2
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:01:43 AM   
MarcA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boonierat

It's not available for download yet.

How come The Wargamer gets the annoucement first

They haven't announced it yet but I have just downloaded my patch from the members section.

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 3
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:05:06 AM   
MarcA

Installing it now

< Message edited by mantill -- 3/2/2007 10:20:15 AM >

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 4
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:07:18 AM   
MarcA

This is what you are missing

1. Editable equipment database files. These are standard Bio-Ed compatible files that have been renamed to have an .eqp file extension. They are handled the same as custom graphics and strings, and the same search algorithm is used. They are NOT saved with the scenario, but TOAW III does validate that you have the same files. If you wish to play against another player with an edited equipment database, then you'll both have to have identical equipment and graphics files installed. You will get a warning if you load a new or saved game file without the proper equipment file also being loaded. If it's a PBEM save game, you will not be able to continue, and the program will exit. Two of the scenarios included with the 3.1.0.9 patch used edited databases. They are Poland 1939, by Ben Turner, and Waterloo 1815, by Bob Cross.

2. See the Bio-Ed “How to” document, by Bob Cross, for information on obtaining the Bio-Ed program and on its use. This patch will create a Windows Start Menu item, under The Operational Art of War III >>> Documentation, for this tutorial.

3. A bug left over from earlier versions of TOAW where saving the game, exiting and resuming, would cause the attack timer to be set one tactical round earlier was squashed. This could conceivably allow attacks to be made without incrementing the number of tactical rounds used. Now, all series of attacks will take at least one tactical round to resolve.

4. Eliminated a critical bug left over from earlier versions of TOAW, where moving airmobile forces onto enemy stacks allowed a possibility of the owning player cheating by giving him full control of all enemy units on the board. This cheat allowed the moving player to change deployment states, loss tolerances, breakdown, and disband his opponent’s units at will.

5. Instituted a new serial number check by Matrix Games. Only valid serial numbers will be able to be patched. Known pirated copies are blacklisted. If you are using a pirated copy, get a life, some morals, and buy your own, legal copy.

6. Elmer’s warnings about fixing events, is itself now fixed. He shouldn’t be screwing up any events any more. The warnings now only appear when loading Opart100 scenarios. If you have a game in progress that has had a problem with improper Withdraw Army events, keep your saved games, then please post a detailed request thread in the Matrix Games TOAW III Support forum, at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=290 and we should be able to individually correct the problem from one of your previous save files.

7. F4/F5 will now export/import the entire armies, along with formation, units, and objectives. The format is now in XML. This means that an XML editor is now necessary to edit the exported files. Designers can obtain XMLPad Pro (it's totally free) at the following site: http://www.freewarefiles.com/program_4_50_11470.html

8. Displayed Bombardment Range (DBR): This new feature will allow the “I” key, or Unit Visibility button in the Control Panel, to display the bombardment ranges of your support units. This command now toggles between showing no units, units but no DBR, the current unit’s DBR, and all units DBR’s. Only the DBR’s for friendly units will be shown. On the main map, all non-air, ranged units should display the radius of their maximum range in one of three colors. In order of visibility, they are:
White = Unit currently selected.
Black = A unit that is set to attack/bombard, or is in any support deployment mode (D, E, F, L, or T), or has no remaining Movement Points (MP’s).
Red = A unit that has MP’s remaining, is not set to attack, and is not in any support deployment mode.
The DBR of air units is shown on the micro map, along with the effective radii of AA units. These are both displayed in blue.

9. When doing a VCR playback, right clicking on the single step button instead does a backspace. Because this has to do a rewind first, there may be some flashing. This will be improved in later releases.

10. You can now display documents from the Scenario Briefing screen. This allows players to easily bring up the associated documents after they’ve already started the scenario. Displayed documents now include PowerPoint (PPT) files.

11. ExperimentalAIP1 and ExperimentalAIP2 flags have been added. We recommend playing with these both set to Y in Opart 3.ini. If you have any problems with the scenario play, then set them to 'N'. Preliminary tests showed that setting this flag increases the strength of 'Elmer's' play, but we haven't had time to rigorously test them. Your feedback is welcome.

12. Better path finding. The game should now do a better job of getting from point A to point B. This also makes scenarios like Attu play better against the PO.

13. The ScenarioPic-template.psd file described in the Scenario BMP Editor Manual, and missing from the initial release has been included and is installed into the Graphics folder.

14. Automatic Bookkeeping Phase speeded up.

15. Re-organized the map-editing menu to move the fill to border option away from the section it was in.

16. The spare equipment slots now are available in the editor.

17. Simple Map Import/Export (partial maps). You can edit the file to change the “Offset”, being defined as the offset from min of the starting position of the map that's being imported. It’s recommended to use even steps (2,4,6,8) for the X and Y axes to avoid artifacts. Min and max define the map size of the area to import.

18. The Air Staff assistant has been improved, it also now sets up before the round so you can adjust the setup after.

19. F9 now saves a file called “auto.sav” in the Saves directory.

20. PO enhancement: Independent orders should now work better. They have the effect of splitting the work of the support unit between up to three closest tracks depending on how much they've advanced on them. This should have the effect that in the early rounds, they will be spread out, but will eventually fasten on one or two tracks.
Independent orders also tell Naval units to follow the Naval Objective tracks.
Independent orders also tell AA on airfields to stand fast, though it will abandon this order if threatened.

21. Elmer should do a better job of not needlessly shifting forces about.

22. Elmer should do a slightly better job of planning assaults.

23. Elmer should now surround individual units more often.

24. Elmer should use the enhanced Air Staff.

25. Elmer should now try to form fleets with the Navy, and do a better job of staying offshore when bombarding.

26. Elmer will now put bridging engineers adjacent to enemy units to allow them to assault.

27. Elmer should now land at non-port hexes if an objective is adjacent to a shoreline, along with other minor improvements for amphibious operations.

28. Rail transported units should stop at the closest secure objective, and not run right up to the front lines. This is defined as the one that doesn't have any enemy units behind it. This will sometimes put them adjacent, but usually works.

29. Fixed crash bug from too many characters displayed in the microview.

30. Fixed bug where destroyed units weren’t withdrawn from Withdraw Unit/Army events, and would later reconstitute.

31. Fixed bug where too many characters in a string for the hex description would cause the game to crash.

32. Fixed bug where if you managed to get too many units in a hex, it would cause the program to crash when doing group operations. We’re not sure how that happened, but it now only allows you to select the first 9 units in a hex with group operations.

33. Fixed bug where changing ownership by local patrols (hex conversion during the ABP) would cause an event supposed to be triggered by ownership change to not fire.

34. Fixed a bug where you would lose the custom graphics from the display in the editor when editing a scenario.

35. Fixed a bug where the PO Player 2 Activate event was not firing reliably.

36. Fixed a bug where automatic entrenchment was not working in PBEM games.

37. Internal enhancement: Version number of EXE separate from string version.

38. Added seventeen new or newly revised scenarios by the following designers:

< Message edited by mantill -- 3/2/2007 10:22:45 AM >

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 5
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:10:54 AM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

This is what you are missing

1. Editable equipment database files. These are standard Bio-Ed compatible files that have been renamed to have an .eqp file extension. They are handled the same as custom graphics and strings, and the same search algorithm is used. They are NOT saved with the scenario, but TOAW III does validate that you have the same files. If you wish to play against another player with an edited equipment database, then you'll both have to have identical equipment and graphics files installed. You will get a warning if you load a new or saved game file without the proper equipment file also being loaded. If it's a PBEM save game, you will not be able to continue, and the program will exit. Two of the scenarios included with the 3.1.0.9 patch used edited databases. They are Poland 1939, by Ben Turner, and Waterloo 1815, by Bob Cross.

FINALLY!!!!

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 6
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:20:55 AM   
Boonierat

Ahh, it shows now, talk about an anti-climax  downloading it now.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 7
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 12:17:00 PM   
cantona

YES YES YES

Rush home after work and download this bugger!!!

thanks to the development team, when can we expecet the next  patch

1966 was a great year for english football...eric was born

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 8
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 12:20:12 PM   
Terminus

Looks like there might be issues... Hopefully it's not the patch that's at fault...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to cantona)
Post #: 9
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 7:52:53 PM   
cantona

Patch seems to be working fine for me in solo play. still to test it in PBEM

(in reply to Curious)
Post #: 10
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 8:12:36 PM   
Dr. Foo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mantill

2. See the Bio-Ed “How to” document, by Bob Cross, for information on obtaining the Bio-Ed program and on its use. This patch will create a Windows Start Menu item, under The Operational Art of War III >>> Documentation, for this tutorial.

I am unable to locate the "How to" doc where is is located?

Many thanks for all your hard work!

EDIT: I found it nevermind I should have looked in the manuals folder to begin with! Duh!

< Message edited by Dr. Foo -- 3/2/2007 8:31:50 PM >

*Warning: Dr. Foo is not an actual doctor.
Do not accept or follow any medical advice*

(in reply to MarcA)
Post #: 11
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 8:38:56 PM   
JAMiAM

I know you already found it, Dr. Foo, but here is a screenshot to show you how easy we made it for you...

From your Windows Start Menu, choose the following path:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Dr. Foo)
Post #: 12
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 9:47:11 PM   
cantona

love those new range thingies for ranged units JAMiAM

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 13
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:01:35 PM   
JAMiAM

quote:

ORIGINAL: cantona

You can thank Ralph for those, though we did have to pry the Mel Gibson dvd out of his hands and insist that the feature get renamed as it is currently...

(in reply to cantona)
Post #: 14
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:14:13 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: JAMiAM

quote:

You can thank Ralph for those, though we did have to pry the Mel Gibson dvd out of his hands and insist that the feature get renamed as it is currently...

Darn it, I like my name, it's so much more obvius that MBR or whatever you call them Everyone know what they were immediately.

MBR or whatever

< Message edited by ralphtrick -- 3/2/2007 10:30:56 PM >

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 15
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:25:06 PM   
JAMiAM

DBR - Displayed Bombardment Range. See...the poor guy worked so hard, and is so traumatized, that he's formed a mental block against the new name...

Somebody buy this man a beer!

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 16
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/2/2007 10:34:03 PM   
cantona

Beer for ralph, put it on my tab

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 17
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 1:42:08 AM   
freeboy

quote:

Instituted a new serial number check by Matrix Games. Only valid serial numbers will be able to be patched. Known pirated copies are blacklisted. If you are using a pirated copy, get a life, some morals, and buy your own, legal copy

no kiding! I pannicked for a second trying to find my serial number then realized it is in the MAIN FOLDER of a good install legal copy. DO NOT STEAL GAMES

(in reply to cantona)
Post #: 18
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 1:54:19 AM   
MPHopcroft1

Actually, thank you freeboy! Not so much for the lesson on gamer ethics as for the directions. I had just sent an e-mail to Matrix asking where I could find my serial -- with your directions I located it right away and was able to get patched up wit no difficulty.

"Any asset that would cost you the war if lost is no longer an asset, but a liability." -- Me

"No plan survives the battlefield" -- old Army saw.

"Without Love, I'd have no Anger. I wouldn't believe in Righteousness" -- Bernie Taupin

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 19
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 6:13:29 AM   
Veers

WAHOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to MPHopcroft1)
Post #: 20
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 7:02:24 AM   
Uncle_Joe

quote:

ExperimentalAIP1 and ExperimentalAIP2 flags have been added. We recommend playing with these both set to Y in Opart 3.ini. If you have any problems with the scenario play, then set them to 'N'. Preliminary tests showed that setting this flag increases the strength of 'Elmer's' play, but we haven't had time to rigorously test them. Your feedback is welcome.

Where does one find Opart3.ini? I cant see it in the main directory. I am recovering from the flu so its possible I'm just missing it, but I've scanned through it pretty carefully.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 21
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 8:15:53 AM   
JAMiAM

It should be right under Opart3.exe.

Have you patched the game yet?

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 22
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 8:53:55 AM   
Uncle_Joe

OK, got it thanks. For some reason in 'icon view' I wasnt seeing it. Switching to 'list view' and it was right there.

And FWIW, it looks like its defaulted to 'y' anyways, so no changes appear to be required, correct?

Thanks!

(in reply to JAMiAM)
Post #: 23
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 12:54:39 PM   
cantona

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

quote:

Instituted a new serial number check by Matrix Games. Only valid serial numbers will be able to be patched. Known pirated copies are blacklisted. If you are using a pirated copy, get a life, some morals, and buy your own, legal copy

no kiding! I pannicked for a second trying to find my serial number then realized it is in the MAIN FOLDER of a good install legal copy. DO NOT STEAL GAMES

i went through the same thing. i deleted the mail message you get with the digital download by mistake and i was going spare. a thorough search of the TOAWIII folder made me breath again

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 24
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 5:29:43 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Uncle_Joe

OK, got it thanks. For some reason in 'icon view' I wasnt seeing it. Switching to 'list view' and it was right there.

And FWIW, it looks like its defaulted to 'y' anyways, so no changes appear to be required, correct?

Thanks!

Yes, that was a late change in the code. I was able to test enough while waiting for the starts to align, that I went ahead and set it to Y.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 25
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 8:31:24 PM   
Temple

quote:

ExperimentalAIP1 and ExperimentalAIP2 flags have been added. We recommend playing with these both set to Y in Opart 3.ini. If you have any problems with the scenario play, then set them to 'N'. Preliminary tests showed that setting this flag increases the strength of 'Elmer's' play, but we haven't had time to rigorously test them. Your feedback is welcome.

Mine were defaulted to "Y".

And what exactly do the following control?
quote:

CropCircles=N
AllCropCircles=N
OneCropCircle=N

(in reply to Uncle_Joe)
Post #: 26
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 8:58:30 PM   
wolflars

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

quote:

i went through the same thing. i deleted the mail message you get with the digital download by mistake and i was going spare. a thorough search of the TOAWIII folder made me breath again

lol. Glad to see I am not the only one with poor record keeping, I managed to find the serial numbers of all the other matrix games I bought except TOAW. Once I looked it up in the folder, I printed it and locked it away in the safe.

(in reply to cantona)
Post #: 27
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 9:13:28 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Temple

quote:

Mine were defaulted to "Y".

And what exactly do the following control?
quote:

CropCircles=N
AllCropCircles=N
OneCropCircle=N

<Ummm> Code that I forgot to clean up? <blushes>
I was experimenting with different ideas, and when I got the I toggling the circles, I forgot to clean up, darn it.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 28
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 9:23:23 PM   
Temple

And what does "y" key toggle? I tried it but didn't see anything in the game. 

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 29
RE: The Wargamer announced update v.3.0.1.9 - 3/3/2007 9:36:19 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Temple

And what does "y" key toggle? I tried it but didn't see anything in the game. 

Nothing that I know of. Why do you ask?

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to Temple)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> The Wargamer announced update v.3.1.0.9 Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI