Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Problems with Hex combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Problems with Hex combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Problems with Hex combat - 3/3/2007 10:32:54 PM   
sean82uk

I’ve read Raleigh’s excellent tips, I think I have grasped the basics but I still usually get beat.
Here is some of the problems and points I want to make.

1/ In the tips, the stuff on detailed battle (about forming your line up with one flank protected etc..)
Does this mean you should fight all your battles defensively? (Wellington: waterloo tactics)
When I’m fighting with allies, the allies from my experience usually just assume the offensive leaving my neatly arranged Frederickian Battle line behind.

2/ Night fighting.
Often I can be getting the better of the fight then night sets in.
I do not usually like to fight at night but sometimes the opponent assumes the offensive and it is here things go drastically wrong: infantry find themselves backwards in front of a enemy with no moves remaining! Etc..
When day comes again I often find my whole battle line at the mercy of the enemy, the enemy seems to like to move at night.

3/ The computer is vastly better at using co-ordinated attacks then me ie..
Usually Cavalry to make my infantry form squares and then using their infantry in Line to decimate my squares.
In Raleigh’s tips he seems to prefer retaining his Cavalry for later to charge already routed/shaken units.
Should I use my own Cavalry to ward of the enemy Cavalry and/or infrintry?
Should I use my Cavalry to do exactly what the computer does (making their infirmary form squares)
Post #: 1
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/4/2007 6:19:11 AM   
alaric318

greetings, about cavalry i find the better is to split it each unit in 1/2 as you can from unit control panel, so you can divide your cavalry force in half for taunt enemy infantry to squares and attack them with infantry, then disorder them and charge them with the other half of the cavalry, If I Remeber Correctly there are less chances to become disordered if you charge on disordered or routed enemy units, added to it if a cavalry failed a morale check and you have cavalry divided on double number of units only half will become disordered or shaken, main problem about this tactic is if you are facing high number of enemy cavalry and need to stop them, cavalry versus cavalry is needed to remain fixed for the cavalry clash,

hope it helps, with best regards,

murat30.

There is no plan of battle that survives the contact with the enemy.

(in reply to sean82uk)
Post #: 2
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/4/2007 1:47:14 PM   
Ironclad

Good idea. Splitting units was one thing that I always forgot about until the battle was over.

Sean re the issues you raised:

Its a while since I played COG (into FOF currently) but my standard practice was to use cavalry to force the enemy into squares. Night time is always tricky and unless I outnumbered the AI my plan was to hold defensively and to try and maintain an extended perimeter to allow for reduced visibility and fire effects and to have a decent position for daylight.

Once you gain greater experience with COG you will discover that the AI's detailed combat approach has some weaknesses. That is particularly the case when fighting a defensive battle in suitable terrain especially if you can avoid a big mismatch in morale or poor supplies. Offensive battles are far more challenging. Its a very enjoyable battle system nonetheless. Frankly I can't recall too much about allied play although I think they do try and fit in with your general line up - not always successfully.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 3/4/2007 2:20:29 PM >

(in reply to alaric318)
Post #: 3
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/9/2007 4:31:25 AM   
sean82uk

Thank you very much for the help, both of you, I restarted a new game with the Prussians (I like to play as them for some strange reason) and have already had some better success using some of them tips.
Splitting the Cavalry has been very successful.

One other point..
In my previous game I was fighting a lot of battles in Winter which basically seems to affect everything, especially movement; I even made a point in getting the winter fighting upgrade.
Am I correct in summarising: avoid winter fighting at all costs.
That is in essence what they used to do in the 18th century, campaign during the summer and then enter winter quarters.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 4
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/9/2007 10:46:25 PM   
Ironclad

Although there are costs for winter strategic play - speed and isn't attrition higher - the key for me is which side is better fitted to winter fighting. For example playing the Russians you are likely to be better than anyone except Sweden - at least before other powers upgrade for winter combat.

The real killer in a detailed battle is if blizzards (severe snow?) close in. Otherwise my recollection is that winter fighting has slower movement, charge casualties are higher, firearms have less effects and frozen rivers/lakes are crosseable.

(in reply to sean82uk)
Post #: 5
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/11/2007 1:35:51 PM   
jkBluesman

Night really strikes me to be "tricky" as you called it. I really hate this nighttime activity. The AI is using the night not only to shift divisions but to get his forces through the small gaps (1hex) of my battle line to get at the supply wagons and disordered units. Is that realistic? It almost feals like he may see in the dark.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 6
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/11/2007 2:18:22 PM   
Ironclad

Thats why I like to extend my night time perimeter outwards where possible. I want to see what the AI is up to and have room to react which means that no gap is more than 2 hexes wide. Critical parts of the front will still need a continuous line and sometimes the rear will be more exposed. Cavalry undoubtedly is a plus for ensuring extended flank protection. Its nice to have a reserve too but that often is another frontline unit. The AI is probably advantaged at night but I don't object to that if it adds to the battle challenge. Historically night actions were much rarer.

Almost forgot - zones of control can assist in holding gaps but not if cavalry are the ones breaching an infantry line.

< Message edited by Ironclad -- 3/11/2007 6:46:34 PM >

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 7
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/11/2007 10:13:58 PM   
1LTRambo

My suggestion for night time is to tighten your lines and allow your troops to rest. This will make them more effective in the morning. The AI usually spreads their forces out during the night to fix my position. Then when the sun comes up, I smash their spread forces with well rested troops.

(in reply to Ironclad)
Post #: 8
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/12/2007 2:21:14 PM   
jkBluesman

Usually before it gets dark I will try some charges if possible (i.e. there are disordered enemy units). This is often the last effort needed to make the AI retreat. If he does not retreat, my cavalry may then rest during the night. However it cannot protect my lines during the night against enemy cavalry.

(in reply to 1LTRambo)
Post #: 9
RE: Problems with Hex combat - 3/18/2007 12:24:21 AM   
sean82uk

I’ve been playing it now much longer and have defiantly improved thanks to the tips on here and also using a bit of trial and error..
For night fighting..
I agree with Ironclad, it is really best to spread some cavalry out on your flanks and possible your rear, I use light Cavalry, irregulars etc.. split them up into pairs if you haven’t got enough, Save the Heavies in reserve.
If a computer unit stumbles on your Cavalry they may get shot up a bit but at least this will give you ample time to reform your line.
In actual fact you can pull them back just 1 or 2 hexes, they may get shot up again but do this again and again and you will possibly delay the enemy’s night flanking attempts entirely.
Thus your main line will still get a big rest, you have ample knowledge of what is going on and all for a few 100 Cavalry casualties, not much missed if you are using irregulars.
I’ve had much better success with this.

Still going to avoid winter combat like the plague, the cavalry seems to become totally redundant.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Crown of Glory >> Problems with Hex combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI