Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Axis Leader in Trouble

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Axis Leader in Trouble Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 12:47:50 AM   
Jimmy10270

Ok,

Although I am not new to war games, I am having some serious problems getting the hang of this game. I cannot seem to seal the deal as the axis powers. I generally attempt to delay the US involvement as long as possible and I try to tag team USSR with both Japan and Germany in a combined attack from both sides. Although I can come close to dealing the fatal blow I just cant seem to finish it before the US enters and begins to eat away at the underbelly of Europe and the east edge of the Empire of Japan. Once this occurs I find that I cannot stop the US in the pacific and Germany is forced to bolster Europe which gives the USSR the time to prevent further advance eastward for the Germans. Now, this being said... let me add that this is on EASY and I have even attempted to give Japan and Germany both supply help in the options. I am using the standard wwii scenario so I havent tried to give myself population boosts with Axis Blitz scenario, but this just seems strange to me. I generally build mostly infantry and bombers for japan so that I can bomb China to no production and take them out of the game. I attack Russia only when they are about to enter the war anyway. I build a combined arms force in germany with a very strong armor pressence. I use Italy to build ships to attempt to hold the med (which I can do, until the US comes in). I don't try to take N Africa and the mid east because this takes too much force away from the Russian front. I also use bombers to destroy as many transports as possible working off south west europe every single turn. I figure I must be doing something wrong, but have no idea what. I opened the screen for units damaged and lost when I begin to feel myself about to go into retreat mode and was amazed to see that I have destroyed SOOOOOO much allied forces in comparison to my own. Near fifty transports to none lost on my side and close to 4 to one on tanks and maybe 6 to 1 on infantry. I don't get it. Does everyone find allied production to be so strong that you just can't stop it no matter how much you destroy? Am I building the wrong things to fight this war? Would love to hear what some of you do when you play axis.
Post #: 1
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 3:25:24 AM   
Grimmbro

Well I think the big thing is, the game isn't designed for the Axis to win that way!  Really, the end goal as the Axis is to hold out for as long as possible, which for me, usually means Germany falls but the allies are too depleted for the assault on Japan in time. The other option is to have Japan blitz and capture the strategic points, as they are in reach of more of them then Germany is (another strange quirk) and the AI gives low priority to defending the Asian ones. If you are hoping to win by global dominance, forget it.

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 2
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 7:40:12 AM   
Joel Billings

It is not easy to conquer the Allies, but at easy level it should be doable as you learn the game system. My guess is that you're not paying enough attention to researching key items. A lot of beginning players don't realize just how important a small tech advantage can be.

(in reply to Grimmbro)
Post #: 3
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 10:04:51 AM   
christian brown

As Joel just pointed out, spend the max on Evasion (sort of the arrows looking like they are trying to avoid something, lol) and Land Attack (LA) looks like blowing up a tank (on the tech screen.) For both your infantry and armored forces.  This is a minimum.  Try it and get back to me, send a PM (personal mail to my Forum account) and let me know what happens (if you feel like it!)

"Those who would give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither and will lose both."
~ Thomas Jefferson

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 4
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 1:07:50 PM   
Redstorm 666

If you want to defeat the Soviet Union against AI I find you need to attack as soon as possible before their production really gets going.

(in reply to christian brown)
Post #: 5
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 9:52:44 PM   
Jimmy10270

Thanks for the input.  I do not think tech is my problem as with the settings the way I had it I was never really hurting on supplies so when population was low, I just spent on tech.  I think Grimmbro prob hit it on the head.  I was looking for a way that the axis can actually WIN, not just hold out.  I noticed the settings have the game time limit off as default (I assume this to mean turn limit for the war and not time limit you have to take a turn) so I assumed AWD was not set up with a default time limit.  That made it feasible to me that it was more than possible to actually win the war from either side and the game ends when one side conquers all.  I am now getting the impression from you all that this isnt the case, no?  As far as tech goes, I pretty much kept all my units better than the russians by at least one tech level in at least one stat and many cases it was better than that.  I guess what all this means then is that my question is now different.  My new question is... do you all find yourselves on the defensive once the USA enters the war?  A yes would explain what I am experiencing (and tell me I need to enable the time limit for the game if I want to win as axis) while a no would indicate that I am still not doing something as effectively as I could (and the axis have the capability to conquer the world if played right).

(in reply to Redstorm 666)
Post #: 6
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 9:54:52 PM   
Joel Billings

The Axis cannot conquer the world (maybe on easy, but probably not even then). They can knock out Russia, but it's tough, although at easy you should eventually be able to do that.

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 7
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 10:36:17 PM   
WanderingHead

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jimmy10270
I noticed the settings have the game time limit off as default

I think that this should be on by default ... that you report otherwise is perplexing.

The game was balanced for both AV and time limit turned on. The Axis can win by forcing AV (production + Strat points exceed victory threshold) or by holding out long enough against the Allies before both Axis players surrender.

If you do really well, you won't be on the defensive immediately when the USA enters the war, but eventually you will generally be on the defensive.

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 8
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 11:03:26 PM   
Jimmy10270

Thank you all for the help.  I was quite frustrated and was beginning to doubt my obviously superior strategical mind .  Honestly, I appreciate your inputs and you have cleared up the frustration I was having.

(in reply to WanderingHead)
Post #: 9
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/1/2007 11:11:30 PM   
Jimmy10270

Doh, seems my obviously superior strategical mind has a problem processing my native english... the defaults were as you stated, Waderinghead...  I just read it incorrectly and have not played out that saved game to its finale.  Wow, I may actually win and here I have been requesting assistance on what I was already accomplishing.  (sheepish grin)

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 10
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/2/2007 10:42:42 AM   
Bubble

Jimmy: A couple of additions from a guy who has played 3 or 4 games as Axis in relatively easy modes. I've actually found it relatively easy to win with a few different approaches. One was to take China almost immediately. This brings in the US, but gets you a pot of resources and a few factories nearby. The other way that worked was to go into the USSR with Japan very early -- there are lots of easily reachable resources in Siberia, and I got almost to the Urals before coming in with Germany. This made it very hard for the USSR to hold of Germany, I think. Then I could turn on China. With both of these approaches (I continued the game after taking the auto-victory) I had a bit of a tough time with the US in the Pacific, i.e., I found myself on the defensive for a few years until I teched up my planes enough to take out their island air bases. But the US wasn't much of a factor in the Atlantic.

With Germany, the cliche is taking Poland and then immediately France. I'm always weary of the med as well, and usually try to get Gibraltar (esp if Spain comes on Board) and Egypt. I'm not interested in the Middle East for its resources, since I won't be able to use those until 1944, when resource multipliers increase the factories' output -- I only want to keep WA ships out of the med. By committing a few infantry/tanks to taking Egypt (while they'd just be sitting in Poland anyway, "getting ready" for Barbarossa), I eventually free up anything that would otherwise have to defend Southern Europe. And the AI has never tried to take me out of Egypt (from the Red Sea) if I have 3 militia plus an artillery there.

Don't know if that helps....

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 11
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 2/7/2007 2:14:40 AM   
ezto

Take France on the third turn (if possible). Then swing everything to northern Africa, while taking out Yugoslavia. Overwehelm the Brits on Egypt, while putting all of the available troops on Romania. Attack on the Fall of 41 and achieve mass surrenders with the by encircleing Eastern Poland and Odessa. Regroup for a Spring Offensive. Watch out for counterattacks that winter!!
You should even out with the Russians on the gates of Moscow or so. From there it is all downhill. ****Research****

Japan should have about 5 3/3 subs. Those should keep the us player occupied. Spread into the Pacific, not China. Just make sure you keep the chinese army to the minimum by hitting them with combined armes (buy a tank). ****Spread Out****

(in reply to Jimmy10270)
Post #: 12
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 3/6/2007 4:04:08 AM   
schury

The Axis can easily conquer the world by knocking out the u.s.doable even in normal,advanced supply.
i think the process would be comfier if you don't use adv supply

contact me if you wanna a new game:)

(in reply to ezto)
Post #: 13
RE: Axis Leader in Trouble - 3/6/2007 8:31:36 AM   
Arthur

I am a newbie but here are a few observations as the Axis;

Re. attacking the allies = It is tempting to use your subs and bombers to clean out allied transports every turn as easy kills. I have noticed that the allies have plenty of resources to replace these cheap units. What hurts them is capital ships - sink or damage carrier and heavy fleets and the allies will allocate resources to replacing them. Sink a lot and you tie up a lot of their resourcs due to the long build times, meaning when you sink transports en masse, they no longer have enough production to replace everything and their system starts to break down.

Re. attackign the Russians = I have noticed that if the russians re-take one of their lands, they tend to repair it pretty quick. Also they will send small forces out to take back vacant lands. I ran a front line that only had two main armies, with which I stomped around on north and south and then east of Moscow. The russians took back and repaired what I took, soaking up their supply. I also attacked small armies, killing everything while I only got damaged units. My bombers I used to pick off the small forces they send out to take back vacated land. This seem to tie up most of the russian economy in replacing infantry losses and repairing infrastructure. They also seemed to keep sending out portions of their huge scary army in Moscow, which I could consume piece meal, instead of one massive battle.

Just my thoughts

Arthur

(in reply to schury)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's World at War: A World Divided >> The War Room >> Axis Leader in Trouble Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI