Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 4:27:57 PM   
christof139

On my way to Ft. Jackson, Columbia, SC in 1991 I stopped for the night at a truckers' motel in Spartanburg, SC, beautiful country there. Whilst visiting the motel's tavern I struck-up a friendly conversation with the bartender and a customer, both Floridians by birth, and we had a few ales etc.

So, I eventually asked this question: 'What do you think of all the Snowbirds, Yankees from north of the Mason-Dixon Line fleeing the North and invading Florida?? That's what it is, an invasion and flight from the cold Winters, a mass migration. Michigan is being depopulated. My family even has a place there.'

Well, one fellow looks at me, and gives a little smile and says, 'Mason-Dixon Line!??! Yankees!??! Hell, anyone north of the Florida border is a Yankee!!'

So, upon nearly choking on my beer from surprise and spontaneous laughter , I bought this fellow another beer and told him "You know what, I am never going to forget what you said. That is so funny and maybe true. Honestly.'

And to this day, I have not forgotten this bit of wonderfully humorous and partially true wit and words of wisdom. Honestly.

Chris

< Message edited by christof139 -- 3/6/2007 4:56:15 PM >

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.
That's the CSS North Carolina BB-55
Boris Badanov, looking for Natasha Goodenov
Post #: 1
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 8:08:37 PM   
GenGrunt

The same attitude applies here in Texas, you're a yankee if you're from north of the red river

(in reply to christof139)
Post #: 2
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 10:10:19 PM   
Maurym

I thought if you were from anywhere outside of Texas you were considered an alien. This fact is validated by the label on Lone Star Beer (the National beer of Texas).

(in reply to GenGrunt)
Post #: 3
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 10:35:45 PM   
captskillet

Justin Wilson (cajun humorist and excellent cook) used to say the same thing..........."He was a Yankee from way up around Shreveport"................to him if you lived north of Alexandria (about half way between Lafayette & S'port) you were a Yankee!!!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 4
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 10:39:02 PM   
captskillet

Gengrunt.............being a native Texan.........if you're from N of the Red your an Okie and thats worse than a Yankee.........esp. if they're an OU backer.

(in reply to GenGrunt)
Post #: 5
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/6/2007 11:47:13 PM   
Gil R.

My father grew up in Tulsa, went to school in Dallas, and now lives in the New York City area. So what would a Texan make of him?

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 6
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 12:31:47 AM   
Drex

An Alien?

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 12:33:48 AM   
Gil R.

I forgot to say that he worked in Dallas for a few years. That has to make him somewhat more Texan.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 8
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 12:49:27 AM   
Drex

I lived in Texas( San Antonio and Del Rio) as a kid and all I can remember of it are the Chiggers.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 1:37:26 AM   
christof139

There is also a Detroit, Alabama and a few other places, so they must all be Mini-Motowns?? Mini-Motor Cities??

I just don't know anymore.

I served with a few Texans in the Army, Addy or Addie was one fellow. I think Reyes was also a Texan.

Not many people know of the Texas Navy and the war in, where was it, the Yucatan or thereabouts. There is a good site on the inet about this, but i don't have it anymore since my old HD crash.

Chris

'What is more amazing, is that amongst all those approaching enemies there is not one named Gisgo.' Hannibal Barcid (or Barca) to Gisgo, a Greek staff officer, Cannae.

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 10
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 1:45:59 AM   
captskillet

Dont forget Paris & Karnack Texas..............(bet no one knows where the latter is at) !

Post #: 11
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 1:46:52 AM   
christof139

quote:

I lived in Texas( San Antonio and Del Rio) as a kid and all I can remember of it are the Chiggers.

I contracted what appeared to be Lyme Disease here in Detroit. There are deer in the Rouge River bottomlands where I was working, and I remember the large ticks. It wasted me a bit.

Large ticks for large deer. Largest deer ever taken here was over 400lbs. 200 to 600lb. plus Black Bear too, but they're up north thankfully, otherwise I would have an encounter with one no doubt about it. They can be amusing to watch when rollicking around in garbage dumps.

Chris

(in reply to Drex)
Post #: 12
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 1:48:42 AM   
christof139

quote:

Dont forget Paris & Karnack Texas..............(bet no one knows where the latter is at) !

Karnack, as in Johnny Carson and his Great Karnack or Karnak act??

Chris

Post #: 13
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 5:06:13 AM   
Maurym

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

My father grew up in Tulsa, went to school in Dallas, and now lives in the New York City area. So what would a Texan make of him?

I would think that would make him the reverse of Jerry "Up Against The Wall Redneck Mothers" Jeff Walker (from upstate NY to Austin TX).

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 6:00:15 AM   
hedererp

quote:

ORIGINAL: christof139

On my way to Ft. Jackson, Columbia, SC in 1991 I stopped for the night at a truckers' motel in Spartanburg, SC, beautiful country there. Whilst visiting the motel's tavern I struck-up a friendly conversation with the bartender and a customer, both Floridians by birth, and we had a few ales etc.

So, I eventually asked this question: 'What do you think of all the Snowbirds, Yankees from north of the Mason-Dixon Line fleeing the North and invading Florida?? That's what it is, an invasion and flight from the cold Winters, a mass migration. Michigan is being depopulated. My family even has a place there.'

Well, one fellow looks at me, and gives a little smile and says, 'Mason-Dixon Line!??! Yankees!??! Hell, anyone north of the Florida border is a Yankee!!'

So, upon nearly choking on my beer from surprise and spontaneous laughter , I bought this fellow another beer and told him "You know what, I am never going to forget what you said. That is so funny and maybe true. Honestly.'

And to this day, I have not forgotten this bit of wonderfully humorous and partially true wit and words of wisdom. Honestly.

Chris

Chris,

That's a good story. What I find funny about it, having lived in Florida for a very long time, is that if you travel to the rest of the South, and mention you're from Florida, your status is a bit like being from California. People from out West don't consider California as part of the West, it's more it's own country, and the same seems to hold fro Florida and the South.
Thing is (and one of the things I love about America) is that Florida is really four States rolled into one. We are from North West Florida, which we affectionately call "Lower Alabama." We have about as much in common with Miami as we do with London!

Paul

Post #: 15
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 6:08:14 AM   
christof139

quote:

That's a good story. What I find funny about it, having lived in Florida for a very long time, is that if you travel to the rest of the South, and mention you're from Florida, your status is a bit like being from California. People from out West don't consider California as part of the West, it's more it's own country, and the same seems to hold fro Florida and the South.
Thing is (and one of the things I love about America) is that Florida is really four States rolled into one. We are from North West Florida, which we affectionately call "Lower Alabama." We have about as much in common with Miami as we do with London!

Paul

Ha ha ha!! The Florida Panhandle, there's cowboys and cattle there!! Lower Alabama makes sense!! At least the Suanee(sp?) River is thereabouts, good fishing and all.

It's the same with Michigan's UP (Upper Penninsula), in that the more western part of the UP near the Wisconsin border is more Wisconsian and even is in the Central Time Zone as Wisconsin is. Those Uppitty Yoopers. I just don't know anymore.

That's a true story of mine too, about the two Floridian fellows in SC, and about a good maybe 95% of my stories are true, believe it or not.

Chris

(in reply to hedererp)
Post #: 16
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 4:15:24 PM   
DrewGator

quote:

Those of us who actually live in Florida (I'm in the Orlando area) have an expression, "The farther south of Jacksonville you go - the farther north you get!" (West Palm, Ft. Lauderdale, and Miami look a lot like New York). We also call people who move to Florida from "up North" and then move to the Carolinas "Half-Backers". I'm sure you can figure it out.

As a yankee who was transplanted to Florida 33 years ago I like to say, "I'm a proud Yankee - first we conquered and now we occupy!". Actually, other than sympathising with the Union position in the Civil War, I have almost nothing in common "a Yankee", but I'm no redneck either.

DrewGator

Post #: 17
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 4:21:14 PM   
christof139

Yeah, it doesn't matter to me where someone is from, or of what ethnic or racial or religous etc. background they have, as long as they're honest and not a crook or whatever, then everything is kosher with me.

Chris

(in reply to DrewGator)
Post #: 18
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 5:49:14 PM   
christof139

quote:

Justin Wilson (cajun humorist and excellent cook) used to say the same thing..........."He was a Yankee from way up around Shreveport"................to him if you lived north of Alexandria (about half way between Lafayette & S'port) you were a Yankee!!!

Some of my friends and I when much younger would watch Justin Wilson and The Galloping Gourmet just to catch the humor. Justin and his 'awhnions' (onions) and his substituting of the word 'did' for it was 'do' and 'is' I think were pretty good.

The Galloping Gourmet used to always sip the wine, and I do believe he was half-crocked at times. Seems he got in some minot trouble for that with the TV station.

Good food and recipies though!!

Chris

Post #: 19
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 10:21:12 PM   
Sonny II

I really liked Justin's stories I gar-on-tee!

Post #: 20
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 10:43:33 PM   
shenandoah

Justin Wilson was great to watch.  Wine in everything!  However, he was not a true cajun.  The accent was just for show.   I used to also watch Bob Ross, the painter.  He also had some funny stories about Florida, Alaska and just about everywhere else.

shenandoah  

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 21
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/7/2007 11:13:50 PM   
Sonny II

quote:

ORIGINAL: shenandoah

Justin Wilson was great to watch. Wine in everything! However, he was not a true cajun. The accent was just for show. I used to also watch Bob Ross, the painter. He also had some funny stories about Florida, Alaska and just about everywhere else.

shenandoah

Bob Ross was cool but his low-key way of speaking was kinda creepy.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 22
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/8/2007 1:50:26 AM   
christof139

quote:

I really liked Justin's stories I gar-on-tee!

Yes!!! I forgot about that!!! Glad you mentioned that, I did garontee that.

Chris

(in reply to Sonny II)
Post #: 23
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/8/2007 4:13:21 AM   
PaulWRoberts

I grew up in Georgia, Alabama, and (when visiting my grandparents) Mississippi, and I must say we never really felt that Florida was part of "Dixie." Maybe it was the Spanish influence--somehow Florida seemed a little different from the English-Scots-Irish culture left over in the Deep (but not As Deep) South.

Post #: 24
RE: Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line - 3/8/2007 5:00:44 AM   
christof139

quote:

I grew up in Georgia, Alabama, and (when visiting my grandparents) Mississippi, and I must say we never really felt that Florida was part of "Dixie." Maybe it was the Spanish influence--somehow Florida seemed a little different from the English-Scots-Irish culture left over in the Deep (but not As Deep) South.

I believe that. I was in Florida a couple few times, and even the terrain and vegetation can be considerably different, lending to that out-of-place feeling. The weather is generally a bit hotter too, and sunnier it seemed, plus the sand is white limestone sand usually, not the tannish quartz sandstone sand. It all adds up in a way t0 make Florida different.

Chris

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by christof139 -- 3/8/2007 7:01:38 PM >

(in reply to PaulWRoberts)
Post #: 25
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Florida, Snowbirds, Yankees, and the Mason-Dixon Line Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI