Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Golden Age Draft League

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: The Golden Age Draft League Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/17/2007 9:39:41 AM   
KG Erwin

The current standings:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 61
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/18/2007 12:54:12 AM   
KG Erwin

Manager KG Erwin spoke to a close friend about the situation: "You know, it was actually a relief to leave Pittsburgh and head back on the road. No one's pointing any fingers, thankfully, but I can see the tension in the guys' faces. I've asked that no one talk to the press or read the papers. We need a win to shake us out of this, but , lemme tell you, getting shut out twice in a row was pretty hard to take."

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 62
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/18/2007 1:28:58 AM   
KG Erwin

Philadelphia, July 23. I'll let the picture tell the story:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 63
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/19/2007 6:16:03 AM   
KG Erwin

Philadelphia, July 25. We swept the Phils with an 8-3 victory on the 24th and a 6-2 win today. In today's game, Warren Spahn (13-9) completed his 10th. Spahn leads the majors in ERA (2.04) and CG.

We travel to Ebbets Field on Friday in what looks to be a grudge match with the Dodgers. They are 11 and a half behind us, but they swept us in our last series.

Manager KG Erwin: "We have a guy who is in his last season, but has contributed immensely. That's Joe Kuhel, who's played first base part-time and been a valuble pinch hitter. He's 40 years old, and has told me that he intends to retire after this year. Depending on what happens, I just might try to talk him out of it. We'll see."

On the minor-leagues: "I'm really excited about a 17-year-old in AA named Curt Simmons. With a couple of years of seasoning, he could be as good as Spahn. Look at what he's doing."

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/19/2007 8:30:41 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 64
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/19/2007 10:34:22 AM   
KG Erwin

Brooklyn, July 28. We drubbed the Dodgers in the last three days, winning 9-4, 8-4 and 15-5. We have shaken ourselves out of the doldrums, and have won six in a row. We're now 65-35, six games ahead of the Giants.

(edit: Something I neglected to mention. Red Schoendienst was the catalyst in lighting a fire under his teamates butts. He hit FOUR homeruns in two days at Ebbets Field. So, I moved Kell to the leadoff spot, and put Red in the number two slot. I patiently explained to Red that moving him down in the order should actually increase his RBI numbers, plus help the team. )

As of now, we are number one defensively in the majors, allowing 3.18 runs per game, while scoring 4.21 runs. We have to scrap and fight for each game. This is a very good team, but it is not a dominating one.

We go to Boston on Tuesday.

August 1. July ends as we extend our winning streak, beating the Braves 7-2 on Tuesday and 7-4 on Wednesday.

The first ten days of August offer us several breaks. We have just five games scheduled. We go to the Polo Grounds on Friday for a four-game series against the Giants, who are now seven games behind us. This is a crucial series. We can effectively knock them out of the race if we perform well.

The Yankees' GM contacted us. They were interested in Duke Snider. They had nothing to offer, even though Snider is not good in the field. I respectfully declined, after making several proposals.

The trade deadline is just a few days away. I'm thinking of dangling Virgil Trucks as bait. This guy has 100 SO, but Early Wynn is still capable of returning to the starting rotation. Snider IS expendable. His poor defense has cost me some games. I'm gonna shop around.

PS After placing a few calls, I realized that no one wants to deal with me. I was offered a few washed-up veterans and a couple of younger guys who are not as good as my present starters. So, unless something extraordinary happens, I'm set for the remainder of the season.

Here's my perceived weaknesses: (1) I keep Dick Lane as a defensive sub for Duke Snider in LF. Duke should probably be in AAA, but his raw talent and my accent towards youth keeps him in the lineup. (2) the fourth starter. I have two guys (Trucks and Wynn) who could fill that slot, but neither one is good enough (by my high standards) to fill the bill. (3) Bob Lemon. He is 14-4, but he walks way too many batters. As the number three starter, he is a disaster waiting to happen, but he usually finds a way to work himself out of it. Not good for the health of his manager.

Strengths: my number 1 and 2 starters. Spahn and Newcombe are dependable, and Spahn will utimately be a Hall of Famer. I can already see that. Also, my infield. Kryhoski/ Schoendienst/Kerr/Kell are probably the best in the majors. I plan on keeping that combo intact as long as I can.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/21/2007 1:26:46 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 65
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/21/2007 2:00:21 AM   
KG Erwin

New York, August 2. Starter Dave Koslo of the Giants hit a HR off of Virgil Trucks in the 3rd, and with the scored tied at 2 in the sixth, Ray Boone hit a single and drove in Pat Mullin to take the lead. Denny Galehouse saved the 3-2 win for Koslo (16-5, 3.65). Trucks is now 8-9 with a 3.79 ERA. The Giants pull within six games of the Bucs.

AL news: in Detroit, the Red Sox downed the Tigers 3-1 to take a four-and-a-half game lead over the Browns.

August 3. Lemon and Trinkle combine for a 1-0 shutout. This game offered plenty of drama, as each team struggled to create runs. Lemon is now 15-4, with Trinkle earning his 9th save. Ken Raffensberger (12-8, 4.13) took the loss.

August 4. Double-header at the Polo Grounds. Spahn pitched his 11th complete game and gets his 15th win as the Bucs pounded the Giants 12-4 in game 1. Hal Newhouser beat the Pirates in the second game 2-1, getting his 9th complete game and 15th win. Newcombe took the loss.

After the game, I was contacted by the White Sox, who were interested in RP Ken Trinkle. Among the players being offered was 30-yr old power-hitting RF Enos Slaughter. This was an offer I couldn't refuse, so I made the deal.

This made Vic Wertz expendable, so I shopped him. The Cardinals responded, so I dealt Wertz and 1B Dick Kryhoski to them in exchange for RP Mace Brown and 1B Ted Kluszewski.

By doing this, I've shored up the bullpen and added a significant amount of power to my lineup.

Monday was an off-day, and it just so happens that we face the Redbirds at Forbes on Tuesday.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/22/2007 12:36:23 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 66
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/22/2007 1:10:21 AM   
KG Erwin

Pittsburgh, Tuesday August 6. Virgil Trucks pitched a 1-0 complete game shutout over the Cardinals. He allowed 5 hits, while striking out 7 and walking 3. The Bucs are now 70-37, eight games ahead of the Giants.

The Pirates have an unusual short schedule this week. The next game is Friday, when the Cubs come to town for a single game. Saturday is also an off-day.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 67
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/22/2007 8:20:14 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

You're better than ESPN!!

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 68
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/23/2007 4:13:20 AM   
KG Erwin

Friday, August 9. Bob Lemon (16-4, 3.09) goes the distance and downs the Cubs 4-1.

Sunday, August 11. Double-header. Spahn completes his 12th game and the Cubs lose 6-2 in game 1. Warren is now 16-9 and has a 2.11 ERA. He has 107 SO and has given up 63 BB. The guys in the bullpen maintain pitching charts. In this game Warren threw 125 pitches, 86 of them being strikes. He struck out 4, but did issue 2 BB.

Game 2. This was a dramatic game. Don Newcombe faced Joe Beggs. With the score tied at 1 in the 7th, I brought in newly-acquired 37-year old Mace Brown. He walked the first two batters, but used his stuff and control to get a strike-out and then two fly-outs. Inning over. Brown becomes the pitcher of record.

In the bottom of the 7th we scored two runs. The Cubs scored one in the 8th. I brought in Woody Abernathy in the 9th, and he saved the game for Brown. So, in his first appearance for the Pirates, Mace Brown gets the victory, and Abernathy earned his 8th save. The bullpen came through for us in the 3-2 win and completion of the sweep.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/23/2007 5:34:03 AM >

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 69
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/23/2007 5:40:22 AM   
KG Erwin

Stat updates:

Batting: Aaron Robinson of the Braves and Mickey Vernon of the Tigers are at .348.

Pitching: Warren Spahn of the Pirates 2.11 ERA.

HR: Stan Musial of the Browns and Hank Greenberg of the Dodgers, 22.

Stolen bases: Richie Ashburn of the Pirates, 43.

Pitching wins : Dave Koslo of the NY Giants, 17.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 70
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/24/2007 6:06:51 PM   
KG Erwin

Pittsburgh, August 12. Virgil Trucks (10-9, 3.57) and Early Wynn combine to defeat the Reds 6-2. Wynn pitched three innings to earn his 4th save.

August 13. Bob Lemon and Mace Brown team up to shut out the Reds 4-0. I didn't want to take Lemon out, but he tired in the 7th. Still, he allowed only 2 hits, struck out 6 and allowed 3 BB. Mace Brown, not having a save opportunity, struck out 3 and walked none in his two innings.

Wednesday August 14 was an off-day.

On Thursday we visit the Cardinals for a two-game series. The Cards are in last place (33-79), and are 1-9 in their last ten games. They will have to be content as playing spoilers, but I can't underestimate them. None of my regular starters will get a break. I can't let the team get complacent.

August 15. As I suspected, the Cardinals aren't about to lay down quietly. We scored the go-ahead run in the top of the 9th, and Warren Spahn (17-9, 2.10), completed his 13th game. It wasn't as easy as it sounds. Pirates win 3-2. That is our 7th consecutive win, but the Giants have won five straight. The New Yorkers are still nine games behind us.

In the junior circuit, there's still a three-team race between the Red Sox, Indians and Browns.

(A strategy note: on the importance of stolen bases. Richie Ashburn and Duke Snider lead the majors by far in SBs, with 46 and 42, respectively. These numbers, while impressive, don't count for much in considering runs scored. In you can't drive in the runners, stolen bases in of themselves don't mean much. Neither of these guys are in the top 20 in runs scored. This is why I place them near the bottom of the batting order.

In THIS league, what I'm finding out is that extra-base hits (doubles and triples) are far more important than stolen bases or home runs. In the old parks, with their spacious outfields, it amazes me how some of the real-life players got those HR totals. )

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/24/2007 10:55:09 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 71
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/26/2007 4:48:46 AM   
KG Erwin

St. Louis, August 16. We get our 8th straight win with a 7-5 victory over the Cards. Don Newcombe (13-7, 3.45) gets the win, and Mace Brown earns his 1st save as a Pirate.

Chicago, August 17. Pirates, 3-1. Trucks (11-9, 3.45) gets the win.

August 18. The Cubs defeat us 2-1. Ken Gables (2-1, 4.33) gave up the winning run with two out in the bottom of the 10th.

August 19. off day

Pittsburgh, August 20. Spahn (18-9, 2.13) gets the 3-2 win over the Dodgers. Early Wynn entered in the 7th in relief and lasted 1 2/3 before suffering a bicep injury. Gables finished to earn his 2nd save.

Wynn will be out of the lineup for about 3 weeks. He was placed on the 15-day DL. Pete Gebrian was called up from AAA.

As of today, the Bucs are 79-38 and hold an 11-game lead over the Giants. The Braves are in third place, 17.5 out.

In the AL, the Red Sox (69-51) are 3.5 ahead of the Indians. The Browns are 5 GB.

The extended home stand will last until Sept 2. After that, it becomes a grueling series of road trips (with just three more home games) until the end of the season on Sept. 29.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 2/28/2007 1:37:55 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 72
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 2/28/2007 1:39:25 AM   
KG Erwin

Statistical note: there are just eight players in the entire association who have 20 or more HR. Hank Greenberg leads with 27. The overall MLB BA is .270 (Mickey Vernon holds the lead at .345), and the ERA is 4.00 (Warren Spahn leads at 2.13). Spahn and Dave Koslo (NY Giants) have 18 wins each.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 73
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/4/2007 3:13:18 AM   
KG Erwin

Pittsburgh, August 21. 9-4 victory over the Dodgers. Don Newcombe (14-7, 3.50) gets the win.

August 22. The Giants come to town, and Hal Newhouser (17-10, 3.35) exhibits overwhelming stuff. He completes the game, strikes out 7, walks 4 and gives up 5 hits in the New Yorkers' 9-3 win. Virgil Trucks (11-10, 3.64) takes the loss.

August 23. Dave Koslo (19-6, 3.70) earns a complete game 5-4 victory over the Bucs. The Giants are still ten games behind the Pirates.

August 24. Ken Raffensberger (14-9, 3.95) pitched a complete game 4-0 shutout against the Bucs. The Giants are now nine games back.

August 25. We take both ends of a Sunday doubleheader against the Braves. The scores were 9-5 and 8-1.

Monday was an off-day.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/4/2007 10:40:13 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 74
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/5/2007 2:11:24 AM   
KG Erwin

Pittsburgh, August 27. Yogi Berra drove in Red Schoendienst on a sac fly in the bottom of the 12th as the Pirates defeat the Braves 4-3. Pete Gebrian earned his first major-league win.

In Chicago, Dave Koslo of the Giants becomes the season's first 20-game winner in a 12-9 victory over the Cubs. New York is 73-53, 11 games behind Pittsburgh.

In the AL, Boston (72-55) holds a 2.5 game lead over the Indians, with Philadelphia 4.5 back and St. Louis 5 back.

August 28. The Phillies down the Pirates 3-1. Hugh Casey (4-5, 4.54) gets the win and Spahn (18-11, 2.23) takes the loss.

August 29. Larry Jansen (15-9, 3.95) pitches his 11th CG as the Phillies win 4-2. Newcombe (14-8, 3.57) takes the loss.

August 30 was an off-day.

On Saturday August 31, the Cardinals visited Forbes Field and received a 14-3 shellacking. Virgil Trucks (13-10, 3.50) pitched his 9th CG. Bobo Newsom (6-12, 4.45) took the loss.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/5/2007 4:51:00 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 75
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/5/2007 4:39:31 AM   
KG Erwin

The standings:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 76
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/6/2007 1:45:07 AM   
KG Erwin

Statistical note: the Pirates have the two top base stealers (Richie Ashburn and Duke Snider) in the majors. Between those two, they have 101 SB. I have no way to know how many runs scored that has translated into. In my games, they really matter maybe 50% of the time. If they get stranded it means nothing. It looks good on the individuals' stats but it honestly hasn't contributed overall into game wins very often. That is why I place these two near the bottom of the order.

Injury note: Early Wynn is still at least 10 days away from returning to duty. If the Pirates make it to the World Series, I really need him. The Red Sox are a powerful offensive team. Right now my bullpen is pretty thin, even though Abernathy and Brown are doing yeoman work.

One item I hadn't mentioned is that defensive sub Dick Lane, who spells for Duke Snider in late innings, has been out of the lineup for a week. Lane is now able to return to field duty. Duke's a fair hitter, but his defense is poor, and it's cost us a few games. He's young, and I haven't criticized him in public. In private, though, I've read him the riot act. He's a project for the off-season. He may end up in AAA when this season is over.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/6/2007 2:21:37 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 77
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/7/2007 4:54:53 AM   
Primarch

Hmm, having trouble, i wanted to copy your league template, but i cant seem to get to a point in 1946 with real players and teams, where i can draft the players....

It makes some fantasy teams or something, and wont let me draft, it says association ready to draft, but under that, the only option is to populate the rosters with the 1946 players.

P

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 78
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/8/2007 12:31:46 AM   
KG Erwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarch

Hmm, having trouble, i wanted to copy your league template, but i cant seem to get to a point in 1946 with real players and teams, where i can draft the players....

It makes some fantasy teams or something, and wont let me draft, it says association ready to draft, but under that, the only option is to populate the rosters with the 1946 players.

P

I sent you a private message.

For anyone else interested, I've created a PSA template for this league.

The template for Golden Age II, as used in this narrative, is 50-man rosters, with accelerated draft entry, so the draft pool SHOULD be all real players.

The real teams, ballparks and the logos I chose should be included in the template. All you gotta do is choose your team, method of play, and conduct the initial draft.

The download link is here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/6yl513

Also, on Padres Fan's site, there's a 1946 Real Roster Template (35 players per team). This places players on their actual teams.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/8/2007 1:03:42 AM >

(in reply to Primarch)
Post #: 79
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/8/2007 3:13:38 AM   
KG Erwin

Sunday, Sept 1. Doubleheader aginst the Cardinals. In Game 1, Bob Lemon (18-4, 2.88) earned his 3rd shutout and 4th CG in a 3-0 victory. He struck out 7, walked 5 and allowed 3 hits.

In Game 2, Warren Spahn (19-11, 2.22) completed his 15th game in a 12-2 rout.

We now hold a 13-game lead over the Giants.

In the AL, the Red Sox and Indians are tied (73-59), with the Athletics 2 games back. The Browns are now 4 games back.

We next have a rare Monday doubleheader scheduled against the Cubs (65-65, 5th place). This will end our homestand. Tuesday is an off-day, and on Wednesday we travel to Crosley Field to face the Reds (currently 58-73, 7th place).

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/8/2007 4:19:54 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 80
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/10/2007 1:22:15 AM   
KG Erwin

Sept. 2. Game 1. Don Newcombe (15-8, 3.43, 4 CG) threw 143 pitches, with the last resulting in a strikeout as the Cubbies get pounded 12-1. Newcombe gave up 8 hits and 3 walks but struckout 7. The wind was blowing in, but the Pirates slapped singles all over the field and relied on aggressive baserunning.

Game 2. With the score tied at 1 in the 8th, I bring in Woody Abernathy to relieve Virgil Trucks. The Bucs score 4 in the 8th, and the final is 5-2. Abernathy (8-4, 2.10) gets the win.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/10/2007 5:05:53 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 81
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/10/2007 4:59:25 AM   
KG Erwin

Sept 4:

Attachment (1)

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 82
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/10/2007 9:26:06 PM   
KG Erwin

Cincinnati, Sept 4: Bob Lemon (19-4, 2.88) gets a 7-2 victory. Spec Shea (13-12, 4.05), who gave up back-to-back HRs to Slaughter and Berra in the 8th, took the loss. The Giants lost to the Phillies 5-1, giving the Pirates a 15-game lead.

Sept 5 : At Crosley Field, Warren Spahn gets his 20th win and 16th CG as the Bucs down the Reds 5-2. Warren gave up 6 hits and walked 4 while striking out 7. His ERA is a league-leading 2.21. Ken Heintzelman (4-8, 3.86) took the loss. The Pirates are now 90-43, having won 7 straight. With 21 games left to play, the Bucs hold a 15.5 game lead over the Giants.

Friday is an off-day.

Personnel note: Early Wynn has been taken off the DL, but he still needs a few days until he's ready to pitch. Pete Gebrian was sent back to AAA.

St. Louis Sept 7: Extra innings. Pirates win in the 11th, 5-3. Abernathy gets the win, and Brown saves it. 8 straight wins for the Bucs, 16.5 game lead over the Giants.

Sept 8: double-header Sunday. In Game 1, Virgil Trucks (14-10, 3.39), gets the win. Final, 4-1. In game 2 Bob Lemon gets his 20th win and shares in a shutout with Woody Abernathy, who earned the save. Pirates, 3-0. Ten victories in a row.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/12/2007 7:48:57 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 83
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/12/2007 8:03:53 AM   
KG Erwin

Sept. 9 Off -day.

Sept. 10. New York. Here we are, the youthful Pirates, on the verge of clinching the pennant, and appropriately, we face the second-place Giants in a two-game series. The Polo Grounds is packed. Early Wynn is now fully healed, and is ready to go if I need him.

Spahn gets his 21st win and Abernathy is awarded his 10th save. Pirates, 6-5. With this victory, we've clinched the National League. THE PIRATES WIN THE PENNANT!

Sept. 11. Don Newcombe (16-8, 3.45) completes the game as the Pirates blast the Giants by a score of 13-4. The Bucs have now reeled off 12 straight victories.

In the AL, the Red Sox hold a two-game lead over the Athletics. The Indians are three back.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/17/2007 10:18:51 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 84
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/21/2007 6:12:06 AM   
KG Erwin

Boston, Sept. 12. The Pirates win their 13th in a row, with Trucks (15-10, 3.38) getting the win and Mace Brown earning his 4th save.

The curse of 13 DOES hit the Bucs as part-time LF Dick Lane suffers a foot injury. He will be out for the remainder of the season. This means that Duke Snider, a powerful batter but weak defensively, will be the everyday LF.

P Pete Gebrian once again is summoned up from the minors to flesh out the bullpen in preparation for the World Series.

Sept. 13. Early Wynn (9-7, 2.92), entering as relief for Bob Lemon with the score tied at 1 in the 4th, finished the game and got the victory in the Pirates' 11-1 rout of the Braves. The Bucs took a one-run lead in the 6th, and blew the game open by scoring 5 runs in the 7th, two in the 8th and two in the 9th.

This was the 14th-straight win for the NL champions.

In the AL, the Red Sox lead the Athletics by three games, with eleven left to play. The Browns are four back, and the Tigers and the Indians trail by five.

Sept. 14. Spahn (22-11, 2.28) pitches his 17th CG as the Pirates top the Braves 3-1. 15 consecutive victories for the Bucs (98-43).

The A's gained a half-game on the Red Sox.

Stat update: the batting leaders are (1) Hank Edwards of the Red Sox (.333), (2) Mickey Vernon of the Tigers (.332), (3) Aaron Robinson of the Braves (.330).

The Dodgers' Hank Greenberg leads with 35 HR (.267 BA, 102 RBI).

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/22/2007 2:14:41 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 85
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/23/2007 4:31:16 AM   
KG Erwin

Philadelphia, Sept. 15. Despite committing two errors, the Pirates still win their 16th straight, downing the Phillies 5-3. Woody Abernathy (10-4, 1.84) got the win in relief of Don Newcombe.

Monday, Sept. 16 was an off-day.

Philadelphia, Sept. 17. It went to the tenth, but the Bucs win their 100th game 6-5. Abernathy (11-4, 1.79) got the win, and Brown earned his 5th save. The Pirates are undefeated in September.

The Red Sox are still 2.5 games ahead of the As. They have not clinched the AL yet.

In any case, the Pirates are already heavy favorites in the Series. Pittsburgh manager K G Erwin made this statement: "Speaking on behalf of the team owners, winning the National League pennant was our goal, and we were overjoyed that it happened earlier than we expected it. Our original goal was to win one in five years. It's a tribute to this young team. These kids have matured much faster than we expected. Also, the veterans we drafted and traded for have provided invaluable leadership. As for the Series , whoever we end up facing, I'm sure we will do our best to represent the high standards and honorable traditions of the National League."

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/23/2007 8:45:17 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 86
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/25/2007 1:57:44 AM   
KG Erwin

Brooklyn, Sept. 18. The Dodgers ended the Pirates' win streak in spectacular fashion, giving us a 14-1 thrashing. Bob Lemon started out wildly, giving up 5 walks and a grand-slam HR in the first two innings.

He lasted four, and when taken out, exited the game by tossing his cap on the mound and stomping on it. The partisan crowd erupted in a chorus of boos and razzing. One fan shouted "Youze ain't champs-- youze are chumps!" Manager KG Erwin retrieved the crumpled cap and led Bob back to the dugout with his arm around Lemon's shoulder. It was all downhill from there. Al Brazle (12-16, 3.89) completed the game and got the win. Lemon is now 20-5, with a 3.04 ERA.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/25/2007 2:02:42 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 87
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/25/2007 9:29:58 PM   
KG Erwin

Brooklyn, Sept. 19. Warren Spahn didn't have his best stuff today, and with the wind blowing out to RF, the Dodgers struck quickly, scoring five runs in the 1st inning. Spahn gave up a rare HR to Gus Zernial, and the final was 7-3. Ewell Blackwell (7-13, 4.49) earned the victory. Yogi Berra and Buddy Kerr homered for the Bucs.

Friday Sept. 20 was an off-day.

Pittsburgh, Sept. 21. In a wild game in which the lead changed hands several times, the Reds win it 11-10. Lou Knerr (7-6, 3.57) got the win and Red Webb earned the save. Mace Brown (1-1, 3.86) took the loss.

Sept. 22. The last home games of the regular season, a double-header against the Reds.

AL note: there are five teams that are still in contention. It may come down to the final day before I know who my opponents will be in the Series.

(Private note: with Spahn seemingly slumping, I'm getting concerned. However, some of the guys are hitting hot, and finishing on a winning note is important. I get the feeling that some of the guys are dogging. Complacency could kill us.)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/26/2007 1:31:20 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 88
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/26/2007 2:08:24 AM   
KG Erwin

Sept. 22, game 1: The Reds take the 1st game 9-5. Lou Knerr (8-6. 3.42) gets the win. Early Wynn (9-8, 3.10) takes the loss. Everybody is gunning for us now.

Game 2. Nothing doing for the Bucs. Reds win, 2-1.

Chiacgo, Sept.24. The Bucs drop one to the Cubs at Wrigley Field 6-3.

In the AL, the Red Sox need to win only one more to clinch the pennant.

Chicago, Sept.25. Don Newcombe completed the game and the Bucs ended their losing streak, downing the Cubs 10-3.

In the AL, the Red Sox clinch the pennant! The Pirates will face the Red Sox in the World Series!

For the batting title, it's going neck and neck between Mickey Vernon (.334) of the Tigers and Hank Edwards (.333) of the Red Sox.

In pitching wins, the Pirates' Warren Spahn (22-13, 2.56) still holds the lead. He also leads the majors with 17 CG. He is the top candidate, IMHO, for the Cy Young award. We will see. Warren should get one more start before the season ends.

Pitt mananger K G Erwin: "The Red Sox have a powerful lineup, but I think we can beat them. I have confidence in my starters. Can good pitching beat excellent hitting? Yeah. You can quote me on this."

Private note: what I didn't mention is the Pirates' excellent defense. The ONE weak spot defensively, with Dick Lane injured, is in left field.

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/28/2007 6:00:33 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 89
RE: The Golden Age Draft League - 3/30/2007 5:18:53 AM   
KG Erwin

Chicago, Sept. 26. Virgil Trucks (16-10, 3.46) completes the game and wins over the Cubs' Joe Beggs (16-14, 3.46). The final was 9-2.

The regular season ends with a three-game series against the Reds at Crosley Field.

Friday, Sept. 27. We get pounded by the Reds 11-2. Lemon took the loss.

Saturday, Sept. 28. Spahn, Wynn and Brown combine to shutout the Reds 2-0. Spahn will end the season at 23-13 with a 2.51 ERA. Brown earned his 6th save.

Sunday, Sept. 29. Don Newcombe threw only 87 pitches in a complete-game 7-0 victory on the final day of the regular season. Don allowed just 4 hits and gave up 3 walks while striking out 5. He ends up 18-8 with a 3.33 ERA. Yogi Berra also got his 100th RBI.

Final standings:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by KG Erwin -- 3/31/2007 8:54:50 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> The Locker >> RE: The Golden Age Draft League Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI