Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

hello all, hello developers!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> hello all, hello developers! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
hello all, hello developers! - 3/7/2007 11:21:29 PM   
matze

have the game the atomic bomb (usa), biological and chemical weapons (japan) and german v-1/v-2 rockets, defense lines like atlantic wall or maginot line for self building and "wonder weapons" like jet fighters, rocket fighters, super tanks like king tiger, maus etc.?
and PLEASE no simple counters! please unit icons like in world at war...
Post #: 1
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/7/2007 11:38:12 PM   
Froonp

quote:

ORIGINAL: matze
have the game the atomic bomb (usa),

Yes.
Moreover, in the Patton in Flames & America Aflame extentions (not present in MWiF product 1), all other major power can build the bomb.

quote:

biological and chemical weapons (japan)

Chemical yes, but only as an optional rule from an Annual. Don't remember if it is part of MWiF. I suppose it is not.

quote:

and german v-1/v-2 rockets,

Sure ! Not very useful though.

quote:

defense lines like atlantic wall or maginot line for self building

Every Major Power may build the fortification he wants, at a price. Building a maginot line like fortification along the Atlantic shore would cost very much, but the Atlantic Wall anti-invasions fortifications are built in in the rules, with special invasion rules.

quote:

and "wonder weapons" like jet fighters, rocket fighters,

Sure ! Me262, Meterors, P-80 Shooting Star, Me163, He162, Ar234 Blitz, they are all here, in due time, and sooner if you emphasis he building on air units, at the expense of something else.

quote:

super tanks like king tiger, maus etc.?

The Armored Corps and Divisions do not have their equipment listed, so you so not know if you are equiped with PzIII, PzIV, Panthers, Tigers, or Maus. On the other hand, there is in WiF FE (not integrated in the first version of MWiF) a way to upgrade Corps on the field (or in production), which assumes that you field it with heavier equipment.

quote:

and PLEASE no simple counters! please unit icons like in world at war...

Hey, can you really call this "simple counters" ????
I guess you'll be disapointed, as "units icons" are not part of the picture (as far as I know).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to matze)
Post #: 2
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/10/2007 5:04:06 PM   
matze

hello,

but is the game released? i read world in flames is in development....since 7 years! and i prefer very unit icons like in world at war, i dislike very this unit pics, board game yes, but so how it grigsby made in waw and waw awd...

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 3
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/10/2007 7:56:59 PM   
Frederyck

Usually, there are two different perspectives you need to have when designing. Firstly, you need to make an aesthetically pleasing product (the counters in this case), and secondly they (the counters) need to fill their practical purpose.

In this game, however, we need to make sure a third perspective is given it's due, namely the fact that it is based on a board game where the counters have a distinct look.

All in all, I think that this edition of the game manages admirably in balancing all these poitns of view. Most of the counters look wonderful, they all have the necessary information and they are faithful to WiF Final Edition. Sure, a few pieces might seem a bit cluttered, and there sure are ways you could make the graphics on the land counters more attractive. But as a whole, I believe that the game designer has made the right overall decisions!

(in reply to matze)
Post #: 4
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/10/2007 8:28:19 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

hello,

but is the game released? i read world in flames is in development....since 7 years! and i prefer very unit icons like in world at war, i dislike very this unit pics, board game yes, but so how it grigsby made in waw and waw awd...

No, MWIF is not released. For information on the development process/progress I post a monthly report in this forum under the thread When?. You can find the most recent report dated March 1, 2007 there.

Unit icons are not really feasible for World in Flames. That is because there are 70 different unit types. It is easier to interpret and understand symbols than it is icons when there are so many in use. If you only have a dozen or two unit types, then icons can work very well, though in general they do demand more surface area than symbols. That's mostly because icons are irregular in shape, which makes placing numeric information on the counters difficult to squeeze in.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to matze)
Post #: 5
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/10/2007 10:19:41 PM   
matze

hello, but in panzergeneral you find hundreds of unit icons...i know pg was developed from a big publisher, ssi, but i can't get the right feeling and the game fun is reduced with this unit pics. sorry, so i can't buy the game...or you let decide the player, offer unit pics and unit icons, but the unit icons in only 15 or 20 icons, only icons for infantry, tanks, bombers, fighters etc., for the unit classes. only the unit name says the player it's a tiger or panther tank or a p-51 or a b-26. i recommend the unit classes from grigsbys world at war, about 15 - 20.

when is the release planned?

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 6
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/11/2007 12:30:54 AM   
composer99

The air and naval units do have pictures (including overall type of aircraft in the unit and the name of the ship if it has one). Only the land units use the NATO symbols, and in general for good reason.

Also, I might add here that at the scale of the game on land (corps-level), it generally doesn't make sense to include the types of armour that the corps is using - however it may be easily inferred that higher-factor units tend to have better equipment in addition to better trained/elite troops (Soviet GBAs are probably outfitted with KV-2s and such!).

Panzergeneral also had a stacking limit of 1 land and 1 air unit per hex, and was a small-enough scale game that unit types made a difference and were worth adding in - and no game of PG is going to have anywhere near the number of pieces to move and fight with as WiF does!

~ Composer99

(in reply to matze)
Post #: 7
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/11/2007 2:07:43 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

hello, but in panzergeneral you find hundreds of unit icons...i know pg was developed from a big publisher, ssi, but i can't get the right feeling and the game fun is reduced with this unit pics. sorry, so i can't buy the game...or you let decide the player, offer unit pics and unit icons, but the unit icons in only 15 or 20 icons, only icons for infantry, tanks, bombers, fighters etc., for the unit classes. only the unit name says the player it's a tiger or panther tank or a p-51 or a b-26. i recommend the unit classes from grigsbys world at war, about 15 - 20.

when is the release planned?

I agree with Composer99, the scale of the land units in MWIF are corps and army with some divisions (mostly for specialized units), which do not lend themselves to the icons you mention wanting to see (Tiger, Panther, etc.). For the air units there are bitmapped images representing the unit's dominant plane type (250 to 500 planes are represented by each air unit). Naval units have individual bitmapped images too - one ship per counter usually, though depending on optional rules, the naval units also represent auxiliary ships.

For information on the development process/progress I post a monthly report in this forum under the thread When?. You can find the most recent report dated March 1, 2007 there.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to matze)
Post #: 8
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/13/2007 3:05:57 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

The air and naval units do have pictures (including overall type of aircraft in the unit and the name of the ship if it has one). Only the land units use the NATO symbols, and in general for good reason.

Also, I might add here that at the scale of the game on land (corps-level), it generally doesn't make sense to include the types of armour that the corps is using - however it may be easily inferred that higher-factor units tend to have better equipment in addition to better trained/elite troops (Soviet GBAs are probably outfitted with KV-2s and such!).

Panzergeneral also had a stacking limit of 1 land and 1 air unit per hex, and was a small-enough scale game that unit types made a difference and were worth adding in - and no game of PG is going to have anywhere near the number of pieces to move and fight with as WiF does!

I hate to be picky (well...ok...I love it ) but the KV-2 was the assault howitzer variant of the KV line that wasn't used much due to its high profile, making it very vulnerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliment_Voroshilov_tank

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 9
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/13/2007 8:50:19 AM   
Froonp

What an ugly thing indeed !

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 10
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/16/2007 5:44:57 PM   
composer99

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

I hate to be picky (well...ok...I love it ) but the KV-2 was the assault howitzer variant of the KV line that wasn't used much due to its high profile, making it very vulnerable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kliment_Voroshilov_tank

Cheers, Neilster

Mea culpa about the specific example; thankfully I suspect that my general point still stands.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 11
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/19/2007 4:06:44 AM   
Neilster

I suspect you're right.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 12
RE: hello all, hello developers! - 3/20/2007 2:09:38 PM   
Norden_slith

The German ran into these things already in 41. scared them s***less too.

A 152mm gun and armored to the gills (41 standards).

Norden

Norden
---------------------------------------------------------------
Hexagonally challenged

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> hello all, hello developers! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI