Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

multiplayer won't connect.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> multiplayer won't connect. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
multiplayer won't connect. - 3/11/2007 1:25:03 PM   
handihoc

Spent hours in the bhq lobby, and can't get a multiplay game up and running. Disabled firewall, no joy. Some players seem to run no prob, others like me can't connect. Game just doesn't find opponent ip, no matter who hosts.

What's the deal? Really need to play this online. I play other games (Battleground Europe, Combat Mission, FEAR) without problem. Used to play the old CC games too.

Im on XP home, sp2, running on a two pc home network.
Post #: 1
RE: multiplayer won't connect. - 3/11/2007 1:35:25 PM   
Andrew Williams

have you forwarded your ports?

have you allowed CoI in you firewall(s)?

(in reply to handihoc)
Post #: 2
RE: multiplayer won't connect. - 3/11/2007 2:29:16 PM   
handihoc

Thanks for the reply.

I've allowed CoI in Win XP firewall, yes (you say firewalls, plural. Er . . .?)

And I don't know what you mean when you say 'have you forwarded your ports'. Can you explain, in simple terms? I'm generally computer knowledgeable, but when it comes to networking, ports etc, I'm a bit clueless.

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 3
RE: multiplayer won't connect. - 3/11/2007 9:45:28 PM   
vonB

quote:

Can you explain, in simple terms? I'm generally computer knowledgeable, but when it comes to networking, ports etc, I'm a bit clueless.
And not something that you or anyone should make an apology for.  The current state of connectivity technology makes Internet H2H (IP to IP) connections a minefield for the user.  In general terms, the most common Web services work from standard defaults that are set up to allow this to work pretty much out of the box.  It has to be, otherwise everyone who tried to do this would have to work out the settings just to surf the net (multiply by number of all web users...).

Although the Protocol (TCPIP) is standard, the hardware and services that are used to make connections work are not.  Far from it yet.  Once upon a time there was the Dial Up Modem (upon which the original CC releases were based as it was the standard connection for most players).  There were very few problems then (apart from line stability, and having a different IP# every time you connect).  The situation has now changed dramatically.

The 2 main (and most common) issues these days are Firewalls and Port Forwarding/NAT, as well as the plethora of different products that provide connectivity.  XP users are likely to have Windows Firewall, and a Router is likely to have a Firewall as well.  Both will need attention.  Port Forwarding/NAT (though not exactly the same) is the service that allows you behind the Router (Private Space - secure) to make the bridge to the Internet (Public Space - insecure).  Not all Routers aither allow this (more common in older one's), and if they do, have their own settings.  However, the principles are the same.

So, it's not something that can easily be explained in simple terms.  When the Industry gets it's act together and provides a standard for all this stuff, we might find that direct H2H connections can be made transparent to the player.  But not yet...

btw the simplest way to get an Internet H2H connection is the Dial Up Modem.  CC will work fine on 33.6K assuming a stable line...

(in reply to handihoc)
Post #: 4
RE: multiplayer won't connect. - 3/12/2007 1:39:54 AM   
Andrew Williams

see this thread

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1382293

Open Ports or forwarded to you LAN IP address
47624 TCP
6073 TCP
2300~2400 TCP
2300~2400 UDP

(in reply to vonB)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> Cross of Iron Support >> multiplayer won't connect. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI