Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Maximum-Football And Windows Vista

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football And Windows Vista Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 1/31/2007 8:46:53 AM   
David Winter

Hello.

Over the past while I have been testing Maximum-Football on Microsoft's new OS, Vista.

The new security system Microsoft has built into the OS has proven to be a challenge to say the least. Unfortunately, during the installation process, you will need to make some minor adjustments to compatibility settings and administrative settings of the setup files as well as the games core executables.

Over the next short while I hope to work with Matrix to come up with a better solution than that.

Please be aware, it's not something unique to Maximum-Football. From what I've read so far, there are a number of games that are going through the same problem.

But beyond the challenges of just the installation procedure I have noted some issues that are unique to Vista. These will require coding changes that I am making my number one priority over any other work on the game.

I hope to be able to provide updated news about Maximum-Football and Vista in the coming days.

Those customers that have already moved to Vista, please be patient while the migration of the game to the new OS is ironed out.

Thanks
David
Post #: 1
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/1/2007 7:22:24 AM   
David Winter

Hi again.

Just to provide an update.

Unfortunately, no current public install package available will work on vista. I am working to resolve that however I do not believe it will occur until after release 3 is final. I am working on release 3.5 already and will endeavour to make that the first vista friendly version.

I have the game working on Vista. The lone machine I have here with Vista is an Acer Aspire 5100 notebook with ATI Xpress1100 graphics card, 1Gig DDR RAM, and an AMD Turion64 processor. As far as Vista hardware goes, this is on the lower end of the scale.

There are a few oddities with the OS that I need to address. One of which is Vista's way of determining if a program is not responding to the system. It is completely different than XP. XP didn't really care if an app didn't respond right away to a system message. Vista however seems to care a great deal and will popup dialog boxes in front of you asking what's going on. This causes problems for the game.

The Installation package will need to be updated as well. I'll have to discuss with Matrix.

And finally. This machine runs vista in all its Aero Glass glory but, on this machine, if all interface pleasantries are turned on, the game can stutter once in a while during game play. The game will actually run very smoothly for several seconds, then stutter a couple of times, then run smoothly again, then stutter.. etc...It could be a side effect of vista not being able to get a response out of the game, or it could simply be that this machine is having a hard enough time running the OS.. I really don't know.

I believe that the system requirements for the game, if using Vista, will be higher than that of XP.

(in reply to David Winter)
Post #: 2
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/2/2007 4:00:17 AM   
Marauders

Windows Vista Breaks 90% of Games

quote:

Redmond (WA) - Alex St. John, chief executive of game publisher WildTangent, today blasted his former employer for a half-baked and negligent way of treating the majority of game publishers - small development studios and individual programmers of casual games: St. John claims that at least nine out of ten games do not work with Vista....

Post #: 3
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/2/2007 5:12:43 AM   
jrodsly

all in all, it was just another brick in the wall!

Back from the dead, I'm here to make ammends with the people I've ticked off and the people that were nice enough to make stuff I requested.

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 4
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/2/2007 5:21:22 AM   
Tbird

I think it comes with a brand new version of direct x and someone told me it will only be available for Vista.  That'll stink if that's true

(in reply to jrodsly)
Post #: 5
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/2/2007 5:46:25 AM   
David Winter

Yes, Vista ships with DX10.. and you can only get DX10 on vista. That said, Vista is backwards compatible to DirectX 8, which is the version Maximum-Football uses for the time being.

I'm sure someone will come up with some sort of wrapper for DirectX6 & 7 for players of the original Warcraft, Star Craft, and Diablo.

The trouble is not DirectX. There are a couple of other things I wasn't expecting although I think I have them resolved.

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 6
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 2/2/2007 6:29:26 AM   
Marauders

The digital rights stuff is madness.  It will make online downloads from companies like Matrix Games a potential nightmare.

Microsoft is really overstepping the line with Vista. 

Post #: 7
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 3/12/2007 7:39:32 PM   
bjm111

I have a question. What if you have maxium football on your CPU in XP then upgrade to vista? would that cause problems?

(in reply to Marauders)
Post #: 8
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 3/13/2007 4:21:06 AM   
David Winter

Hi.

Yes, I'm afraid you will still experience most of the problems even going through the Vista upgrade path.

David

< Message edited by David Winter -- 3/13/2007 4:22:40 AM >

(in reply to bjm111)
Post #: 9
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 3/13/2007 10:19:15 AM   
Marc von Martial

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Winter

Hi.

Yes, I'm afraid you will still experience most of the problems even going through the Vista upgrade path.

David

Actually, from what I have read so far the Vista "upgrade" version is even more tricky

Post #: 10
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 3/14/2007 12:18:11 AM   
StLee

People who are aware of Vista's problems can do the world a favor and NOT BUY the new product. If gamers reject Microsoft's stupidity, then Microsoft will have no choice but to relent.

Better products can come about when Microsoft commits its fatal (business) error.

Count me as someone who will stay far away from Vista.

(in reply to Marc von Martial)
Post #: 11
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/2/2007 4:48:14 AM   
David Winter

Just to give everyone an update on where this stands.

The game and the installer are working on Vista. Matrix sent me an installer package this weekend. And on a clean vista installation (on an Acer notebook right out of the box) I installed the package and was playing the game normally with no problems (I didn't even get any troublesome security warnings).

Matrix and I still need to do further tests on the installer package but hopefull the next release will be public shortly.

Vista pop-ups.

When customers do install and play this on vista, I would recommend playing in a Window mode at first (not full screen). Vista likes to pop-up things to the users at strange times (much more so than XP). These pop-ups, can (although not always) take the system over from the game. This can cause performance issues for the game at the very least, and at worse, can lock up the game. If you play in window mode, you can close or action the vista pop-ups without bothering the game. This is especially noticable when Vista tries to do a security update.

thanks
David

(in reply to StLee)
Post #: 12
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/5/2007 4:17:38 AM   
dmmnd9

David,

I have recently purchased a laptop with Vista pre-installed and I cannot get a copy to run.  Installation works fine.  The game menu works fine but clicking on "Play" causes an MFB.exe error to pop up from Vista.  The Vista pop up simply discusses the inability of Vista to run the program.  If I open MaxFB from the quick start icon, I am given an error concerning a missing DirectX8 library file.  These error messages do not allow the game to open.  what is going on?  I have re-installed numerous times.

Post #: 13
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/5/2007 4:34:00 AM   
David Winter

Hi.

No current public version of Maximum-Football will function on Vista (which is what this thread is all about). The vista compatible version has not been released yet.

thanks
David

(in reply to dmmnd9)
Post #: 14
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/5/2007 5:45:48 AM   
dmmnd9

sorry david, i thought your previous post referred to your experience with the current version available to the masses.  I was wondering how you were getting the February version to work!  Thanks for the fast reply, otherwise i would be continually re-installing MaxFB in hopes it would work...instead of actually doing homework.

Post #: 15
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/5/2007 7:30:56 AM   
David Winter

I wouldn't want to stop you from doing your homework anyway

(in reply to dmmnd9)
Post #: 16
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/27/2007 7:33:46 PM   
godave

Any update on the game with Vista? Does the latest update address this? If not, any ETA on when we'll be able to play the game on Vista?

Post #: 17
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/28/2007 4:18:45 AM   
dmmnd9

yeah, godave!  somebody else asking the vista question!  The latest update isn't allowing me to play on vista but i am not getting the error message i did before.  Vista isn't even starting MaxFB, i double click the quick start and then nothing; it's not even loading, task manager shows no sign of it.  i guess we are still waiting for the Vista patch, but i swore i read somewhere that this patch offered vista compatibility and the other patch (much later down the road) is the big one everyone keeps talking about.

(in reply to godave)
Post #: 18
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/28/2007 6:19:45 AM   
David Winter

I'm sorry but these smaller patches will not address the vista issue. The reason being is that there are some files that are required to be on the system before you install the game. An update patch like that released the other day won't do that. We need to build a special installer package for this problem. You will need to uninstall the game, then install from that update.

Unfortunately I have no ETA on when that should be ready.

(in reply to dmmnd9)
Post #: 19
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 4/28/2007 7:18:25 AM   
dmmnd9

cool, david.  I couldn't tell through all the postings if this was the Vista patch.  I still have Xp on my desktop so i can enjoy some MaxFB.  thanks for the update!

Post #: 20
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 9/15/2007 8:17:08 AM   
Captainfirst

No offense to you, Mister Winter, but getting a Vista-compatible version should, I think, be a fairly high priority, as something like 90% of new PCs in the US are shipped with Vista. (I would think that number is close to the same for Canada)

In other words, the longer you wait to have a Vista-ready version, the more sales you stand to lose, and also, computers get replaced fairly frequently, so existing customers are going to start having issues as well.

Me? I'm just upset because I finally have a computer that can handle the game's graphics but I still can't play MF. Not entirely your fault, by any means but it's still damned frustrating.

(in reply to dmmnd9)
Post #: 21
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 9/15/2007 3:07:18 PM   
David Winter

Version 2.0 works on vista. It's the primary reason the game had a graphics engine replacement. Please look at the FAQ on the main page.

www.maximum-football.com

It also includes the vista system requirements.

< Message edited by David Winter -- 9/15/2007 3:12:03 PM >

(in reply to Captainfirst)
Post #: 22
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 9/15/2007 11:01:58 PM   
Tbird

Yup I got it workin on my laptop which has the home premium 

Post #: 23
RE: Maximum-Football And Windows Vista - 9/16/2007 10:21:08 AM   
Captainfirst

My bad :) and boy, I can hardly wait till next month when I can afford to buy the game!

(in reply to Tbird)
Post #: 24
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> Maximum-Football 2.0 >> Maximum-Football And Windows Vista Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI