Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 12:22:55 AM   
KG Erwin

Yes, I loved CC3, and I'm a veteran SPWaW player, so, should I shell out $40 for CoI?

However, after reading some of the initial "bug" reports, I'm just a little spooked.

My PC is a stock Dell Dimension 2400C, with 512 MB of RAM.

I'm thinking that the reported "bugs" are really hardware issues, but wondering if I should wait until and IF a patch is necessary before taking the plunge.
Post #: 1
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 12:57:22 AM   
LarryP

I have spent several hours in this game with not a problem. I think you are right about the bug reports being individual hardware issues. I have also spent time online playing and never had a single problem, but I also followed the instructions to the letter. If your drivers are up to date, go for it.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 2
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 1:12:36 AM   
KG Erwin

Thanks for taking the time to respond, LarryP. I figure most players are too busy with the game at the moment.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 3
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 1:19:31 AM   
RD_Roach

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Yes, I loved CC3, and I'm a veteran SPWaW player, so, should I shell out $40 for CoI?

However, after reading some of the initial "bug" reports, I'm just a little spooked.

My PC is a stock Dell Dimension 2400C, with 512 MB of RAM.

I'm thinking that the reported "bugs" are really hardware issues, but wondering if I should wait until and IF a patch is necessary before taking the plunge.

Well for one,most of the work has been done by SimTec and the CC community,which has been around forever(SimTec ,in large,being made up of guys from that very community),They arent going anywhere to soon ;).

Ill ask you a question,ever seen a game that didnt need patches?esp one as old as CC?

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 4
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 1:36:42 AM   
Uncle_Joe

I've played off and on for the last few days and have not encountered anything I would interpret as a 'bug'. My PC is also not exactly top of the line anymore either and probably has its own share of issues but nothing has caused any problems with the game.

I have to admit that I'm a little disappointed that the AI doesnt seem terribly different. It might have a few tweaks here and there but it still seems to lead with its armor (which gets smoked) and then attack piecemeal with infantry. I also notice the same tendancy for the AI infantry to start moving to places where it could have set up and thus become exposed to be being killed for no reason.

I realize that the AI wasnt really a major priority for the re-release, but I was still sort of hoping for a little more, I guess. I haven't had time to venture into MP yet but I strongly suspect that I would be utterly annihilated by the pool of experienced CC3 players that seem to be the current major owners of this game. :)

(in reply to RD_Roach)
Post #: 5
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 3:07:20 AM   
captskillet

No prolems KG in 2 days and Im at the gates of the Kremlin in the Grand Campaign !

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 6
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 4:29:57 AM   
ravinhood

Wait till next December KG....you've waited this long why not wait for a 25% discount? :) If you have the older version it's not like you haven't played it before. Remember it's just a remake to work on XP with some minor tweaks and some online perks. Is that really worth $40? (ducks from Matrixgames) lol

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 7
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 4:32:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

Ravinhood,

That's really not good form.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 8
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 4:40:21 AM   
LitFuel

quote:

ORIGINAL: ravinhood

Wait till next December KG....you've waited this long why not wait for a 25% discount? :) If you have the older version it's not like you haven't played it before. Remember it's just a remake to work on XP with some minor tweaks and some online perks. Is that really worth $40? (ducks from Matrixgames) lol

That stinks!..and I'm not from Matrixgames either. Do you feel witty now? If you don't like CC keep it to yourself.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 9
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 4:45:16 AM   
KG Erwin

OK, I went ahead and bought it, so now the download is progressing (on a cable connection!!) at a whopping 50.4 kbps. Just 3 more hours to go.

Oh, well, Monday's a holiday.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 10
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 4:52:10 AM   
Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

I honestly believe that most of these are gonna turn out to be operator config errors. Two factors are likely contributing to the perception that the package is "buggy:"

1) Wargamers, God bless 'em, are not always the most technically astute folks in the world, intelligent in a fashion, yes, but not necessarily computer smart. It matters because there are a LOT of goodies in the package that are gonna require user configuration at technical levels where wargamers seldom venture.

2) The package is huge. There's a ton of stuff in it. I'm still trying to soak up all that's been included. At least part of what's vexing to folks is that they are having trouble sorting through the different modules, and learning exactly what does what, and what they might be interested in, stuff well beyond a glorified CC3 expansion pack.

Is it worth it? Well, that's really up to you, but I certainly wouldn't walk away from the purchase over "bug" or "instability" issues.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

Government is the opiate of the masses.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 11
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 5:13:56 AM   
LarryP

quote:

OK, I went ahead and bought it, so now the download is progressing (on a cable connection!!) at a whopping 50.4 kbps. Just 3 more hours to go.

Oh, well, Monday's a holiday.

Come back here and let us know what you think.

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 12
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 5:14:52 AM   
Williamb

Im also on the opposite side of the fence with this game.

Of all the CCs I always felt CC3 was the worst of the lot. The tank heavy AI was just incredible bad and really ruined the game.

I love CC for the infantry battles. CC3 always felt like Close Combat command and conquer to me with all the tank rushes in it.

So is this game still destroyed by replaying the Russian war like every battle was the battle of Kursk or is there really a glimmer of hope here ?

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 13
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 5:23:10 AM   
Titanwarrior89

I would agree with the prince on this one. I play Spwaw-gen and I have played this before and now. They are both very good wargames. My vote is

1. Spwaw 10 out 10(variety)(excellent game)

2. CloseCombat-Cross of Iron 8.5 out 10(excellent game)

So good luck on the Download. I think you'll enjoy it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Prince of Eckmühl

quote:

I honestly believe that most of these are gonna turn out to be operator config errors. Two factors are likely contributing to the perception that the package is "buggy:"

1) Wargamers, God bless 'em, are not always the most technically astute folks in the world, intelligent in a fashion, yes, but not necessarily computer smart. It matters because there are a LOT of goodies in the package that are gonna require user configuration at technical levels where wargamers seldom venture.

2) The package is huge. There's a ton of stuff in it. I'm still trying to soak up all that's been included. At least part of what's vexing to folks is that they are having trouble sorting through the different modules, and learning exactly what does what, and what they might be interested in, stuff well beyond a glorified CC3 expansion pack.

Is it worth it? Well, that's really up to you, but I certainly wouldn't walk away from the purchase over "bug" or "instability" issues.

PoE (aka ivanmoe)

"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"

(in reply to Prince of Eckmühl)
Post #: 14
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 6:19:00 AM   
e_barkmann

downloaded and installed fine

no crashes encountered after hours and hours of playing

MP is easy to setup if you have access to your router instructions on how to forward ports

plenty of extras included in the package

AI is somewhat improved, but -

Plenty of people to play against online

- in short, recommended!

cheers

Scourge of War multiplayer group

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/sowwaterloo

(in reply to Titanwarrior89)
Post #: 15
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 6:37:01 AM   
ravinhood

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

quote:

That stinks!..and I'm not from Matrixgames either. Do you feel witty now? If you don't like CC keep it to yourself.

Lol where did this newb come from? That's the whole point of a discussion forum to discuss opinions of whether you like something or don't. Not sorry to ruffle your feathers, but, that's going to happen a lot on all forums, best get used to it. Whether you're inlove with Matrixgames or not some of their stuff is going to get ridiculed from time to time. Fact is my statements weren't even ridicule on this title, but, merely FACTS and in my opinion best to wait till Christmas for the seasonal savings on a game I already own. (don't play it but own it, never liked the CC series in the first place). ;)

So in rebuttal to YOU, if you don't like what "I" say best keep it to YOURself. haha

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 16
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 2:51:13 PM   
JudgeDredd

Ravinhood

You have no idea what work went into this title and the scale of the work...so your comment on "it's a remake" might well be spot on, but following it up with "minor tweaks and some online perks" you cannot justify because you cannot quantify.

As for the derogatory
quote:

Lol where did this newb come from?
...who cares where he came from. He may be new to these boards, but he can clearly spot a fanny when he sees one.

You are entitled your opinion, as is everyone else, but trying to put people off purchasing something you don't actually own yourself is borderline cynical.

Feel free to say it's not your cup of tea. If you purchase it (but you won't because they haven't knocked off 3 cents) and think it's crap, then that's your opinion and you are welcome to express it...but at least have the courtesy to buy a product before you slate it...please?

To KG
This wasn't really my cup of tea...purely because I have never been a big fan of the Eastern Front, but I bought it anyway because I did like the series and I have to say, it's a trip down memory lane and I am enjoying playing this series again...looking forward to the others also.

Is it worth it? To me yes...I'm afraid you'll have to make your own mind up.

Forgot to mention, so far stable as a rock

< Message edited by JudgeDredd -- 2/16/2007 3:10:42 PM >

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 17
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 5:43:45 PM   
LitFuel

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel

quote:

Lol where did this newb come from? That's the whole point of a discussion forum to discuss opinions of whether you like something or don't. Not sorry to ruffle your feathers, but, that's going to happen a lot on all forums, best get used to it. Whether you're inlove with Matrixgames or not some of their stuff is going to get ridiculed from time to time. Fact is my statements weren't even ridicule on this title, but, merely FACTS and in my opinion best to wait till Christmas for the seasonal savings on a game I already own. (don't play it but own it, never liked the CC series in the first place). ;)

So in rebuttal to YOU, if you don't like what "I" say best keep it to YOURself. haha

Obviously the quantity of posts has no relation to intelligence...saying things just for the sake of hearing yourself talk and being cheap is not the point of a forum discussion. Without you owning it, I just can't rationalize your comments. So yes, you still stink. deal with it.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 18
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 9:28:18 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

Is it worth it? To me yes...I'm afraid you'll have to make your own mind up.

Forgot to mention, so far stable as a rock

Likewise on both counts. The only problem I had was with the install, and only because I was too dumb to realize it was all the ModSwap stuff trying to install when the second box popped up, not the game trying it again.

Really enjoying it, actually. The improvements are noticeable. I guess CC3 was the only real choice for the first release, CC2 would have needed a lot more work, especially on graphics, and CC5 doesn't really have that much to improve on with assorted mods taken into account, and is still easy to find for sale elsewhere.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 19
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 9:29:23 PM   
spadman

I also am thinking about jumping into this game but I was wondering what the multiplayer is like and how difficult it is to learn.  I bought the CC2 years ago but seemed to have trouble understanding what I was supposed to do.
I will admit it was the first wargame I ever tried and since then have played a lot more such as Battles in Normandy, East Front and West Front and beginning on Uncommon Valor but I was wondering if there are people willing to bring a newb along slowly in a multiplayer game.  I have always enjoyed playing games against people so much more and normally try to get to that point as soon as possible. (I of course do spend a little time in singeplayer so that I can at least learn the game somewhat)
Thanks for any thoughts.
Mike

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 20
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/16/2007 10:25:31 PM   
Beeblebrox

Go to BHQ.  Do not pass Go.  Do not collect 200 bucks

I would say on the whole that the CC Community is amongst the friendliest and welcoming bunch of online gamers as you can hope come across.  There are obviously exceptions, but you would be very unlucky to come across any.

In simple terms, one player has to be the 'Host' (he sets up the battle), and then the other connects.  It means you have to have an Internet connection set up so it supports a game connection (IP to IP).  There's not a lot to it.  It would be a good idea to get a baisc familiarity with the game first

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 21
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/17/2007 1:29:58 AM   
JudgeDredd

Well...just a short mention, 'cos I only tried it once so far...

I started a MM game last night (Massive Nultiplayer). I looked at the map, selected a sector and the computer was waiting for an opponent. I decided NOT to wait and played the sector me v AI. I won (although it was a tough fight) and I won the sector. I left it knowing I had got the sector for the Germans. Looking tonight, that same sector, and more, had been taken...so my plan to swing north and south and trap the "bulge" of Ruskies had failed.

Had I kept on it, or had more people turned up, then or later, maybe I would've kept the sectors. Also, whilst I was connecte dand AFTER taking the sector, I was informed by a dialog message that player X was about to take a sector and I was asked if I wanted to defend it. So the MM interface works quite well.

Are there enough people on there to deserve the MM tag? Not last night I guess. Was it fun anyway? Absolutely...thinking that I was taking part in this big "grab" for land. It really was perceived as a real big battle.

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to Beeblebrox)
Post #: 22
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/17/2007 4:11:38 AM   
spadman

Well I took the leap.  I hope the wife doesnt notice.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 23
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/17/2007 4:37:35 AM   
Randall Grubb

Oh, you is a dead man! She will notice, especially when you cheer the destruction of that tank that was totally messing up your plan or wail in anguish as your command team gets hosed by a MG they didn't see, all at two in the morning!

Good luck and buy her lots and lots of flowers.

C'est magnifique, mais ce n'est pas la guerre. - Pierre Bosquet, 1854

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 24
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/17/2007 5:23:09 AM   
spadman

I already have

< Message edited by spadman -- 2/17/2007 5:39:46 AM >

(in reply to Randall Grubb)
Post #: 25
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 2/17/2007 11:22:44 AM   
ravinhood

Litfuel said:**So yes, you still stink. deal with it. **

Very well then since you want to be childish. I will just put you on ignore like the rest of the 8 year olds that come here. ;)

(in reply to spadman)
Post #: 26
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 3/12/2007 7:26:34 PM   
John Fedoriw

quote:

it's just a remake to work on XP with some minor tweaks and some online perks. Is that really worth $40? (ducks from Matrixgames) lol

Is that true? Has this been modified to work better on XP? Can someone from Matrix chime in on this? I know of 2 people other than myself who are interested in it but both (and myself) have the original CC3 which has bad scrolling problems on XP. None of us is interested in it if this issue remains.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 27
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 3/13/2007 12:11:24 AM   
Andrew Williams

Scrolling fixed for XP

(in reply to John Fedoriw)
Post #: 28
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 3/13/2007 3:32:41 AM   
MarkShot

Do people realize that lots of scrolling problems in older games (CC3, CC4, CC5, SMG, SMA, WNLB, and ANGV) can be resolved by simply using a software utility which reduces CPU time. That's basically the problem, the games are getting much more CPU than they were designed to get. You can find freeware utilities to do this. The one I use runs about $20USD+, but the beauty of it is that under XP it can slow down just your game process and not everything else running on the system.

http://www.hpaa.com/moslo/4biz.asp

Please note ... I am not coming out for or against COI. I am just pointing out a technical tip for folks who like to play old titles that have map scrolling issues.

< Message edited by MarkShot -- 3/13/2007 3:35:41 AM >

(於 11/13/21 台北,台灣,中國退休)

(in reply to Andrew Williams)
Post #: 29
RE: OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game - 3/14/2007 12:06:24 AM   
HardRock

I dunno. I find the AI much. However I'm only playing the GD mod which doesn't give me a lot of points ( I can only afford 1 tank) while the Soviets are beefed up to 10 man squads.

I've found Soviet scouts and squads advancing ahead of their armor and once I'm spotted the armor ,some of the times, sits back and shells me.

Now sometimes their tanks roll right up but with the balance in GD I need it.

(in reply to MarkShot)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat Series >> Close Combat - Cross of Iron >> OK, Someone "Sell Me" on This Game Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI