Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Leadership Model

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> Leadership Model Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Leadership Model - 3/20/2007 6:37:21 AM   
chuck

I've just reread Shelby Foote's excellent history, and it strikes me the leadership model seems a little oversimplified. I've also been poking around with the old 'Sumter to Appomattox' game, which seems to have been the first serious attempt to tackle this in a game.

Someone has already noted that ratings should take rank into account; there is no question that there were many cases of leaders promoted past (sometimes way past) their ability--e.g. Hood, Hooker.

I'm not sure a leader's rating should be fixed for the whole game either. For instance, R.E. Lee was increasingly affected by a heart condition in the last 12 months of the war. For that matter, his first outing in W. Virginia wasn't successful at all. Pickett never really recovered from the heartbreak at Gettysburg. Ewell became a different chap after he got married. There should be some allowance for leader events (health, personal, animosity towards one or more colleagues or the High Command, battlefield defeat) that affect their ratings.

Some leaders also profited from more experience, while many did not. Sheridan's first couple of outings were not all that auspicious, and his aggressiveness was sometimes counterproductive. There is no doubt that Grant learned a lot over the four years. Meade seems to have just about gotten the hang of army command under Grant that eluded him in 1863.

If you wanted to get really tricky, you could also think about leadership teams and how leaders interact with each other: the obvious and outstanding teams being R.E.Lee/Jackson/Longstreet/Hill and Grant/Sherman/Sheridan. A teamwork rating being low, might recommend a leader for detached operations, but make it more difficult to use him in a larger operation, where he will cause trouble and dissension regardless of ability. E.g.: Beauregard.

These teams cemented over time, and represented a harmonious command structure, not easily replaced if one or more elements are changed. This certainly happened to the Army of Northern Virginia as the 'system fed on itself', breaking up the team. It was never achieved in the Army of Tenessee, whose commanders spent more time attacking each other and Davis.

A final thought: I reckon if you don't play with leaders completely randomised, you don't capture the period at all. The only way is to put your head in the same bag as Lincoln and Davis; otherwise it's just too easy.

Chuck

"I can't spare this man; he fights". A. Lincoln

Nothing kills like overkill...
Post #: 1
RE: Leadership Model - 3/20/2007 7:13:57 PM   
Gil R.

Those are some very good ideas and comments. Some of them we did consider, but decided would be too complicated to program. In the future, especially if we do a FOF 2.0, I think that one of our goals would be to make generals much more dynamic, and perhaps several of your ideas could be implemented. So that we don't forget this post, could you copy it into the Wish List thread, which is our repository of all such ideas for future patches, expansion games, and versions of the game itself?

(in reply to chuck)
Post #: 2
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Ratings >> Leadership Model Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI