Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: How about a Roll Call ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: How about a Roll Call ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/1/2006 9:10:08 PM   
Greyshaft

quote:

ORIGINAL: delatbabel

We're about to start a FTF WiF 5/e game at my office in Paddington. You and any other MWIF players are welcome to drop by for a cold one or two when the game is released, perhaps the WiF grognards there can celebrate along with us.

Can you send me a PM with your contact details... it would be good to see the game set up again (brings old uniform out of closet and blows`dust off medals)

/Greyshaft

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 91
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/2/2006 9:21:56 AM   
Neilster

quote:

ORIGINAL: Graf Zeppelin

Hey Neilster.

I know who she is, but not personally. And yes i like her BIG... blue eyes too...lol

The island of bornholm have only 43000 inhabitants. But still, good odds...

Regards
Andi

Cool. Well, if you see her, say hello from Joey. Tell her that I'm still friends with Peter too. I've been to Denmark but didn't make it to Bornholm. You guys are half Swede anyway, aren't you?

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Arron69)
Post #: 92
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/12/2006 5:31:13 PM   
Yellowcactus

Hello All!
    Reading everyone's extensive board game history, I feel right at home on this forum.  I'm 34 years old, living in Panama City Beach, Florida.  (Our town's name comes from the port, which had a primary connection with Panama City, Panama.  During the Second World War, the people of PC, Fl built liberty ships en-mass).  We have an airforce base (with a flight of F-22 raptors) and a navy weapons development base in town.  (The Navy base has lots of dive teams, and works mostly on naval mine technology and removal).
    That said, I have nothing to do with the military, but rather spend my days teaching Algebra to middle-school children.  WIF is a monster of a boardgame, I've played maybe 6 full games with a great mix of players.  The WIF last game was in.....2001.  Like many other posters on this forum, I haven't played WIF recently, and don't have the organization, space, or companions on hand to make it happen.
    When the original CWIF came out, it was free.  Its hard to imagine one person building the entire program!  This version will be more user friendly without doubt.  I usually check in every few months and see what's been developed in the WIF forum.
    On a final note, I've always heard great things about the other ADG game in developement here.  I'd be inclined to join a game of either ADG title when they are out and free of major bugs.  Have no delusions, World in Flames is going to be a Multi-player game to die for. 

Hope to play with you fellows next year sometime!
-yc

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 93
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/15/2006 4:31:25 AM   
cockney

Hi all,

I'm a cockney (never'd guessed eh)
I like a pigs in the battle and the odd drop of gold as a chaser.
(will translate for those that don't get rhyming slang)
A 40 somthing gamer, wargame, rpg and board game, that has to work to pay for his hobby, has a bird that don't understand what all the fuss about games is and has been waiting for so long for WiF to come to the PC.

Beers to ya..
Andy

(in reply to Yellowcactus)
Post #: 94
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/25/2006 9:40:18 PM   
ACMW

I have been hooked on wargaming since I was about 10 and bought - or had bought for me - the Waterloo wargame. By matchbox, I think. Bet few can remember that one!

There are many many great games out there, but nothing quite like WiF. 3 friends & I have been playing this for a week a year almost every year since 1990 (we played Europa one year). My friends live in Bristol, England, Bognor Regis, England & Edinburgh, Scotland. I lived in Portsmouth, England, but moved to Stavanger, Norway in Jan 06. Geography is a challenge!

Although we played in Stavanger this year and intend to keep playing, it would be fantastic to have a computer alternative,particularly if it allowed us to enter the end-state of our week so that we could play on remotely. I intend to buy the Matrix version when it comes out, irrespective of price.

What I am looking for, though, is really a direct computer rendering of WiF. I am not interested in AI, as I doubt it will be
sufficiently strong.

Roll-call answered.

Adrian

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 95
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 11/25/2006 9:46:08 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: ACMW
I have been hooked on wargaming since I was about 10 and bought - or had bought for me - the Waterloo wargame. By matchbox, I think. Bet few can remember that one!

There are many many great games out there, but nothing quite like WiF. 3 friends & I have been playing this for a week a year almost every year since 1990 (we played Europa one year). My friends live in Bristol, England, Bognor Regis, England & Edinburgh, Scotland. I lived in Portsmouth, England, but moved to Stavanger, Norway in Jan 06. Geography is a challenge!

Although we played in Stavanger this year and intend to keep playing, it would be fantastic to have a computer alternative,particularly if it allowed us to enter the end-state of our week so that we could play on remotely. I intend to buy the Matrix version when it comes out, irrespective of price.

What I am looking for, though, is really a direct computer rendering of WiF. I am not interested in AI, as I doubt it will be
sufficiently strong.

Roll-call answered.

Adrian

Thank you and welcome to the forum.

I hate to disappoint, but the conversion to the unified world map will present major problems to your stated desire to switch back and forth between WIF FE and MWIF during an on-going game. But read the Directory thread and browse the MWIF forum; I think you will enjoy it.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to ACMW)
Post #: 96
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 12/2/2006 6:40:27 AM   
mldtchdog

Same sad tale of many. Played war games early on (ASL among many). Found Wif and gave up all other boardgames for over 10 years. Lost room and time to play in the mid 90's. Personally found Cwif to be rather disapointing so I am sooo glad Mwif is developing nicely. Understand the frustration of some in wanting our fix for Mwif now but will be patient! Although with the projected release date of 2008 it wont mean we will have mwif 2/dod till 2010?!  These beautiful maps deserve to be used fully.  Good work all

- Adam

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 97
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 12/10/2006 8:15:41 AM   
SLAAKMAN

Ive been playing as Italy (Grand Campaign) for over a year and a half. First game assumed command in may/june 43 and fought until jan/feb 45 before an allied assault on Rome took me out. Good training. Commenced second campaign last march again as Italy but this time it was no more greenhorn mistakes. Its now march/april 44 and we (the Axis) control the Med, France, Persia, Iraq, Egypt, Morocco, Algeria, Gibralter, and Greece. We've also recruited Yugoslavia, Persia, Iraq, Spain and have added Algerian, Syrian, Egyptian, Somali and Palestinian Territorial Infantry units to the cause. We're still heavily engaged in a war of attrition in Russia outside of Leningrad and are holding the Soviet Spring Offensive at bay in the south between the Pripyet marshes and Odessa. The Allies are very strong though and have taken Japan  but we're still holding out in Manchuria in exile. Eight more turns to go and it seems we might have victory in the bag.  

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to mldtchdog)
Post #: 98
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 1/5/2007 6:02:16 AM   
thrud

I live in Denver Colorado and started playing WIF in the late 80's. I enjoy WIF final editions using Days of Decision II. My favorite boardgame series is Europ by GDW. But WIF is my favorite wargame that involves more than 2 players. My WIF group broke up about 5 yrs ago and we are really looking forward to being able to play via PBEM or TCP/IP.

Other than that, I enjoy board wargames (own 50+), but don't ever get to set em up (do to my young kids). I also enjoy playing computer wargames and strategy games. I am into military history and model railroading, as well as the occasional pen and paper RPG.

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 99
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 2/28/2007 4:45:47 AM   
38special

Age 46
From Pittsburgh Pennsylvania
I live in N Virginia now. Less Snow.
Played War games since 1975, earlier if you count MB
Risk.
All Companies and miniatures
Really Miss GDW though.

I bought 2nd edition WIF in 1985. I own every edition since and prefer 5th edition rules with Mech in Flames, Planes in Flames, Asia in Flames,Ships in Flames. I have played the game with others about 50 times and solitaire about 50 times. It has been over 2 years since I last played the game.

Any gamers near Washington DC?

Arrogance is the next best thing to being there.

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 100
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 2/28/2007 12:48:30 PM   
iamspamus

Hey all,

My name is Jason. I'm 36 and an American living in the UK near Cambridge. I play all kinds of stuff, but stategic level war games are my favorite, other games (ie. german ones or whatever), followed by minis, then RPG if I can't find anything else. I have 100+ games. (I'm a DINK.) My favs are: ASL, WIF, EIA, EU then Goa, Puerto Rico.

I started WIF with 4th or 5th edition in the late 80's / early 90's. I like most of the add-ons except for LIF and haven't used the latest ones (cruisers or convoys). I have never gotten to play AiF yet either. My favorite way to play WIF is with DOD! Woo hoo! I hope that this is first add-on for MWIF and that AIF is the second.

It's been 4 years (my time in the UK) since my last WIF game.

Ciao!
Jason

(in reply to 38special)
Post #: 101
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 3/25/2007 12:02:52 AM   
paulderynck

I live in Calgary, Canada and have played wargames since 1966 (age 14). My first game was AH Battle of the Bulge and I've been hooked ever since. I own many games, although a good number are from the sort-of-quasi-bi-monthly issues of S&T and now reside in boxes underneath the basement stairs. Favorite board wargames have been Battle of the Bulge, Anzio, and Russian Campaign. Favorite computer game is Master of Orion (Battle at Antares) with a nod toward Gettysburg (computerized Terrible Swift Sword). I read a LOT of military history.

I played WiF regularly from when it came out until version 4 and then layed off for a few years, resuming in 2004 with version 7. I agree it is the best wargame ever. I play less often between April and October when the golf courses here are open. I joined the Yahoo list in October, 2004. The recent notice there about viewing the MWIF maps was what brought me here to join the MWIF forum.

It would be great to see MWIF published with good live internet and pbem options so people with similar interests all over the world could play together.

(in reply to Ballista)
Post #: 102
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 3/25/2007 7:32:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I live in Calgary, Canada and have played wargames since 1966 (age 14). My first game was AH Battle of the Bulge and I've been hooked ever since. I own many games, although a good number are from the sort-of-quasi-bi-monthly issues of S&T and now reside in boxes underneath the basement stairs. Favorite board wargames have been Battle of the Bulge, Anzio, and Russian Campaign. Favorite computer game is Master of Orion (Battle at Antares) with a nod toward Gettysburg (computerized Terrible Swift Sword). I read a LOT of military history.

I played WiF regularly from when it came out until version 4 and then layed off for a few years, resuming in 2004 with version 7. I agree it is the best wargame ever. I play less often between April and October when the golf courses here are open. I joined the Yahoo list in October, 2004. The recent notice there about viewing the MWIF maps was what brought me here to join the MWIF forum.

It would be great to see MWIF published with good live internet and pbem options so people with similar interests all over the world could play together.

Welcome. I read all posts with great interest.

I recommend reading the Directory thread in the top section of the forum - at least the first entry - to get an overview of this forum. I expect you will find the When? thread of interest too, since I post long monthly status reports on the game's develpoment there.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 103
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 3/25/2007 8:02:56 AM   
zoc_trooper

34 years old - Sana'a, Yemen (Originally from Alexandria, VA)

Serving overseas with the US State Department. Anyone else on the forum in Yemen interested in a game? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller? Right.

I'm a big fan of chess with cold beer. If you count toy soldiers and plastic guns, I've been playing war games my whole life. Started playing ADG titles in junior high school with Empires in Arms. Sunk lots of paper route money into various editions and supplements of World in Flames.

I had to leave my most recent WiF game back in Virginia, where as the Axis, my friend and I managed to conquer out to the Urals, capture Hawaii, Australia, Dutch Harbor, Seattle, and landed an expeditionary force under Yamamato in Mexico.

For those of you who are wary to try WiF due to the space limitations, I would suggest laminating the board, mounting it on a wall, and glue-tacking the pieces in place. We had our game up for over two years in the den and it just looked like a National Geographic poster on crack.

I really miss WiF and look forward to resuming play with the electronic version.

Cheers!

ZOC

< Message edited by zoc_trooper -- 3/25/2007 8:04:29 AM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 104
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/1/2007 8:45:10 AM   
AHFlattop

Turned 38, married with a 6 year son, living in Tucson.  Getting my son indocrinated by watching Gettysburg and Midway.
Began playing Squad Leader around 1982, moved onto ASL, Flatop, Empires in Arms, and discovered WIF around 1990.  Marriage in 1997 stopped most gaming except for the occasional lurking.. Picked up WITP and TOAW3 but haven't dived in PBEM.

I had a family member who served in the 158th RCT based in Southern Arizona dring the Pacific theater.  Grew up listening to his stories about his time in PNE and later the Phillipines.  Those stores probably got me hooked.  He actually participated in an engagement similar to ASL's "Bushmaster" although his version was a little different from that narrative.  The grand banzai charge broken up failrly easily.  1944 RCTs were loaded with machines guns...In the Armys wisdom, they sent the Arizona naional guard to Panama then to the Pacific in 1943. 

(in reply to zoc_trooper)
Post #: 105
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/5/2007 3:53:23 PM   
Chaylaton

Hey All:

Well I'm a 32 year old professional gamer I enjoy painting minatures (fantasy and such). I run 2 different rpgs currently Werewolf by Whitewolf (old not new) and L5R rpg 3rd ed. And play in a Mage game (new not old) so when I'm not doing one of the previous things with my spare time I'm play Civ4, HoI2 or watching a movie or some such. I'm from Cincinnati, Ohio. My current WiF board games if Friday nights with two other guys I am currently playing the axis solo I love many other board games such as Civil War by Victory Games, Britania and the 18xx rail games. I work for the IRS now for 2 years looking to find my way into a perm positition with them. So that's me in a nut shell atm.

Chaylaton

Also by my signature you can see I'm a huge Rush fan... seen them 6 times in concert and for those who don't know their music find it and listen to it. A 30+ long career look for the highlighted albums such as 2112, Moving Pictures and Grace Under Preasure. Any band that can write 3 great rock songs about the WW2 era of history is the band for me. Finaly, I step off the soap box.

2112 greatest rock song ever?

I say "Rush Rules"

There are only four Gods from Canada: Alex, Geddy, Neil and Wayne:)

(in reply to AHFlattop)
Post #: 106
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/5/2007 5:08:00 PM   
Frederyck

quote:

Any band that can write 3 great rock songs about the WW2 era of history is the band for me.

"Aces High", "Longest Day" and "Paschendale" by Iron Maiden? (Fair enough, Paschendale, while a great song, is obviously about WWI - but "Tailgunner" then, even though it isn't the greatest they've done! )

(in reply to Chaylaton)
Post #: 107
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/6/2007 12:39:09 AM   
SLAAKMAN

paulderynck-
quote:

Bravo to that!! We cant wait!

(It was an overwhelming pleasure to sink this hapless tank corps with my SM79 NAV while it was a sitting duck on a transport out in the Bay of Biscay. From the Great White North to the Great Dark Abyss!)

< Message edited by SLAAKMAN -- 4/6/2007 12:40:57 AM >

Germany's unforgivable crime before the Second World War was her attempt to extricate her economy from the world's trading system and to create her own exchange mechanism which would deny world finance its opportunity to profit.
— Winston Churchill

(in reply to Greyshaft)
Post #: 108
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/10/2007 2:13:55 AM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frederyck

quote:

Any band that can write 3 great rock songs about the WW2 era of history is the band for me.

"Aces High", "Longest Day" and "Paschendale" by Iron Maiden? (Fair enough, Paschendale, while a great song, is obviously about WWI - but "Tailgunner" then, even though it isn't the greatest they've done! )

Dont forget "Where Eagles Dare" of course...

(in reply to Frederyck)
Post #: 109
RE: How about a Roll Call ? - 4/13/2007 12:02:43 PM   
Droop21

Marc, 34 living in Paris, 1 2 year old son + 1 on the production circle for J/A

Started wargamming with Tactics II when I was around 10. Played alot of Panzer Leader, a few WIFFE games (haven't played for 2 years as most of the group relocated), did some CWiF playtesting. Eagerly waiting for MWIF to appear and very jealous of the lucky ones playtesting it

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 110
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: How about a Roll Call ? Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI