Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Loading AP ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Loading AP ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Loading AP ships - 3/26/2007 8:27:25 PM   
fleetwood

I'm loading up Ap's with infantry for the Japanese Turn 1 in Scenaro 16. I noticed that some units say they have a load cost for AP's of, say, 800; but when you load them the cost is alot more, such as 1500. I noticed this only after loading several task forces that I left room for supplies on. Some units ended up being divided and/or there was not much room for supplies. Am I missing something here? Why is the load cost not what it says it to be?
Post #: 1
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/26/2007 8:56:51 PM   
Mike Solli

Not sure.  It does happen though.  A good rule of thumb is to use 1.5-2 times the AP requirement for each unit.  I usually use 1.5 and it works well.  Also, don't ever put a unit on only one ship.  One little torp and you're minus the ship and the unit.

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 2
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 12:53:41 AM   
saj42

On the list of LCUs screen it shows a load value - I never trust it. I always open the unit screen and view the three load costs listed there (AP / AK / LST).
Also in my experience the load cost is for able squads only - the load cost for disabled squads doesn't seem to be included - at least thats is my impression. As Mike says always allow at least 1.5 times the indicated amount.

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 3
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 4:01:10 AM   
tsimmonds

Don't load supplies on APs

• Supplies take up more room on APs than they do on AKs
  • Your APs will be tied up on the beachhead unloading supplies when they could be heading back to pick up more boys
  • APs unload troops first, supplies last, so your boys will not have supplies at first
  • AKs with supplies and no troops will unload at the same time as your APs with troops and no supplies; your boys will have supplies from the minute they unload

Fear the kitten!

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 4
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 4:05:17 AM   
BrucePowers

Plus, if you spread your troops out over more APs, they tend to unload faster.

(in reply to tsimmonds)
Post #: 5
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 5:25:22 AM   
KPAX

quote:

ORIGINAL: fleetwood

I'm loading up Ap's with infantry for the Japanese Turn 1 in Scenaro 16. I noticed that some units say they have a load cost for AP's of, say, 800; but when you load them the cost is alot more, such as 1500. I noticed this only after loading several task forces that I left room for supplies on. Some units ended up being divided and/or there was not much room for supplies. Am I missing something here? Why is the load cost not what it says it to be?

If it is the first turn you want to make sure that they only say "loading supplies" NOT "loading troops". This is for the FIRST turn only for IJA. Otherwise, you do not get the fast move on the first turn if they are still loading supplies.

Here is a good site that has lots of stuff.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1274014

Hope that helps.

"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 6
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 6:16:35 PM   
fleetwood

Thanks for the tip. No more supplies on AP's!

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 7
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/27/2007 6:35:39 PM   
Mike Solli

After you create the transport TF with APs, load the APs. Then add some AKs.  As the APs load troops, the AKs will load supply.  When the convoy unloads, the AKs unload supply for the troop immediately.

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 8
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/28/2007 5:45:07 PM   
fleetwood

Thanks for the links as well; they help alot!  I finally just "jumped into" a game and after about 6 game-turn days I began to see the forethought required!  Especially getting supplies moving.  My big mistakes were not getting aviation support to critical airfields immediatley as well.  The computer supply system only sends out a couple of taks forces per turn, so it is critical to get supply task forces moving beetween Japan and major bases.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 9
RE: Loading AP ships - 3/28/2007 5:59:47 PM   
Dino

quote:

My big mistakes were not getting aviation support to critical airfields immediatley as well.

Air transport might be the fastest way to deal with that problem...IIRC the Tinas have a great range.

(in reply to fleetwood)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> Loading AP ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI