Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/28/2007 11:28:10 PM   
Miserere

I am loving the beta patch, and am especially impressed with how much more aggresive the Union AI has been strategically compared to how dilatory it was behaving under the official patch.

I do have one question: Does the AI actually use supplies in detailed combat? I have yet to see the Union supply wagons do anything other than hang back in the rear of the battle lines, and I also am seeing no indication that AI troops engaged in drawn out firefights are running out of ammo, whereas I am constantly scambling to keep my troops from running out of ammo. That concerns me, because any strategy I employ to deny the enemy of their supplies prior to a battle would be a wasted effort.

Thanks for a great game - I am blown away by both the breadth and depth of what you have created.
Post #: 1
RE: AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/29/2007 12:24:33 AM   
Erik Rutins

Yes, it does as far as I know. At least, I've destroyed supply wagons and had AI enemy troops run out of supply in detailed combat.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Miserere)
Post #: 2
RE: AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/29/2007 12:30:33 AM   
ericbabe

The AI should be using supply in detailed battle, they get no benefit for this.  If you're playing on a hard enough level, their bonus can compensate for being out of supply, but they shouldn't otherwise be getting any detailed battle supply bonus.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/29/2007 1:03:41 AM   
PaulWRoberts

But I seldom see their supply wagons near the battle line.  Are they using them at all?  Or do they have a bonus to supply range?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 4
RE: AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/29/2007 2:36:47 AM   
ericbabe

They don't have a bonus to range, though they may have a small movement bonus depending on the difficulty level.  I'll look for this during the next battle I test.

(in reply to PaulWRoberts)
Post #: 5
RE: AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? - 3/29/2007 4:47:02 PM   
Miserere

May I say I am a complete idiot? My concern was based on the fact that I never saw the wagons move next to any of their brigades on the front line, and never saw those engaged units suffer a penalty to their fire combat in the combat reports, which considered together led me to believe they weren't being resupplied. I thought I had read that supply wagons had to be adjacent to a unit to resupply it, but I discovered during a battle last night that resupply can happen over several hexes in many cases. I wish I had known that earlier, as I have lost some wagons by moving them up to resupply units in trouble!

And I also saw last night that a couple of the Union brigades had their fire effect reduced specifically for being out of supply, so that does indeed confirm that AI units use and require supply. All is well.

Thanks again for a truly wonderful game.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> AI Need Supplies in Detailed Combat? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI