Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Is this game still alive?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Is this game still alive? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 12:37:42 AM   
Michael T

Since we haven't heard from anyone about the development of this game for some time now the question beckons.......is it dead?
Post #: 1
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 3:20:33 AM   
sol_invictus

It seems to be perpetually right around the corner. I remember borrowing a friends boardgame copy four years ago so I could read the rules and get familiar with the map in anticipation of its release. It's been so long I have forgot all that I knew about the rules and am back to square one.

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 2
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 3:41:32 AM   
Murat

(uses his best italian accent)
It's a coming. Soon.

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 3
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 6:46:38 AM   
Michael T

I hope your right. But the lack of input from any designer/developer/programmer type person for so long concerns me.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 4
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 5:35:36 PM   
Hoche

When they close this forum then worry.

Until then there is still hope.

< Message edited by Hoche -- 3/16/2007 5:36:49 PM >

It is a general popular error to suppose the loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for its welfare.
-Edmund Burke

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 5
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 6:21:32 PM   
Monadman

Guys,

Speaking for myself, I can assure you that every day there is a considerable amount of time spent finding and reporting problems with EiANW and that Marshall has been very responsive to it’s needs and addressed them as quickly as possible within the time constraints of his schedule.

It still goes . . .

Richard

(in reply to Hoche)
Post #: 6
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 9:52:10 PM   
Ursa MAior

All right guys. keep up the good work and let us know when it is ready. Not BEFORE!

I wont survive another disappointment.

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Monadman)
Post #: 7
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/16/2007 10:06:31 PM   
Paper Tiger

Answer, the game is still live but some of the original posters have passed their id's on to the grandchildren.

(in reply to Ursa MAior)
Post #: 8
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/19/2007 12:51:57 AM   
PDiFolco

Frankly I can't understand how can a game be near 2 YEARS late ... The screenies (in the Matrix store) are dated may 2005 !!
If 2 years betatest are necessary, either the testers or the game engine have to be dumped.

And don't tell me I don't know what I'm talking about, I'm working with AGEOD as an associate and tester...

/rant off, as I was really expecting this game when I was young

(in reply to Paper Tiger)
Post #: 9
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/19/2007 3:54:27 AM   
Murat

Well hate to repeat but basically this game was being developed and then there was a switch of developers causing what pretty much amounted to a starting from scratch situation.  Thus a delay which is why now they are working out the bugs, so soon seems to be the best idea.

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 10
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/19/2007 6:40:45 AM   
Michael T

Well how come the people involved don't post a message every few weeks, along the lines of "Hey this week we fixed such an such a bug and here is a screen shot of situation bla bla bla. It doesn't take too much time, and it gives us a sense of progress. If indeed progress is being made why the silence? If the game has ground to a halt why keep this board going?

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 11
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/19/2007 8:37:29 PM   
dinsdale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murat

Well hate to repeat but basically this game was being developed and then there was a switch of developers causing what pretty much amounted to a starting from scratch situation. Thus a delay which is why now they are working out the bugs, so soon seems to be the best idea.

Marshal was in charge of this project when I first heard about it and joined this forum in 2003. They called for betas that same year, and the game made it's way onto the release board at Gamespot Christmas 2004 (or was it 3??).

They've been "close," or "soon" to release for >3 years, and ironing out the last few bugs for >1.

It's been >5 months since the "soon again" post.

So nothing in the last 4 years has stemmed from switching developers, and it appears that this project is a part time hobby for someone, not a professionaly developed game and will be completed accordingly.

(in reply to Murat)
Post #: 12
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/19/2007 10:15:16 PM   
Ursa MAior

Yeah some new screens would be nice (even without comments about a release date).

Art by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 13
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/20/2007 9:12:18 PM   
StCyr

quote:

ORIGINAL: dinsdale
So nothing in the last 4 years has stemmed from switching developers, and it appears that this project is a part time hobby for someone, not a professionaly developed game and will be completed accordingly.

Well, I doubt that this game is just a hobby for Marshall - but he said himself that he has three jobs in total... perhapse four by now, who knows .
Just as Richard (Monadman) said "...and that Marshall has been very responsive to it´s needs and addressed them as quickly as possible within the time constraints of his schedule."
But please don´t ask if working like this is a good idea because a few guys might get mad at you if you faile to praise Marshall for his good work so far

(in reply to dinsdale)
Post #: 14
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/21/2007 2:24:44 PM   
gazfun

This game is very much alive, we are PBEM testing as we speak, right now! thats all I am prepared to say at this time.

(in reply to StCyr)
Post #: 15
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/21/2007 6:11:54 PM   
cdbeck

My question is not if the game is still alive, but if it looks still looks ANYTHING like the screenshots posted on the main page? Those were posted YEARS ago (not even an exaggeration) before tons of changes in development, etc...

Any chance for some new screenies?

Son of Montfort

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to gazfun)
Post #: 16
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/21/2007 8:20:55 PM   
PDiFolco

Even if only part-time work is possible, working this way (ie at a snail's pace) is just ineffective and counter-productive.
So far the guys have never get paid because the game isn't published, and I can't imagine what support will (not) be - in the end I'll just not buy it even if I was interested ...

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 17
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/22/2007 3:55:18 AM   
gazfun

There has been little change to the original Screenshots that you have seen.
Thank you

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 18
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/23/2007 12:53:23 AM   
BoerWar

quote:

ORIGINAL: PDiFolco

Even if only part-time work is possible, working this way (ie at a snail's pace) is just ineffective and counter-productive.
So far the guys have never get paid because the game isn't published, and I can't imagine what support will (not) be - in the end I'll just not buy it even if I was interested ...

If you aren't interested then why are you posting on this site?

(in reply to PDiFolco)
Post #: 19
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/25/2007 5:11:41 PM   
LarryP

This is a game I have been interested in somewhat. However, after reading posts in various sections, I decided I am probably NOT going to buy this game. The main reason is this: Support will be no better than the initial production habits and that says a lot here. Timely patches probably won't happen and I hate hanging and waiting for patches that seem to be the last thing on a developers mind.

The way patches should be done is displayed in the Forge of Freedom section. It isn't perfect by any means but at least we were never hanging too long (relative term) and wondering if they even cared. They also posted pictures every step of the way. The Matrix team has really kept us informed there. I wish this game could get the same attention but it looks like an afterthought now. Too bad.

I hope you all get this game soon and it needs NO patches! I wish that for you all and I hope that I am totally wrong in my negative projections!

< Message edited by LarryP -- 3/25/2007 7:29:58 PM >

(in reply to BoerWar)
Post #: 20
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/25/2007 5:49:09 PM   
sol_invictus

It seems that this game has had a curse hanging over it's head from the moment that Frank Hunter announced that he was developing a strategic Napoleonic game. First the Talonsoft problem that scrapped the initial game and now since the game has evolved into EIA, it has had a torturous development cycle. I am certain that it will eventually be released, but like you, watching this process over the years does not inspire much confidence in the overall project and it's future. I am still hopefull.

(in reply to LarryP)
Post #: 21
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/26/2007 7:36:36 AM   
delatbabel

Well, quoting from the March update, the remaining tasks appear to be:

quote:

1. Add in missing elements such as TMR.
2. Finish PBEM testing.
3. Tune the AI
4. Release Version 1.00

... which leads me to a lot more confidence in where they are at with this game than, say World in Flames. Here it appears that they have a working AI that needs tuning, if you read in betwen the lines in the WIF forums then you'll see notes like "well, we are starting to think about the AI design".

Which, to me, says that EiA is probably due inside a year to two years, whereas WiF is more like 3 - 5 years time frame. Speaking as an ex-AI developer, the process of developing an AI is a very complex thing, and lots can go wrong during the development.

Anyway, I'm looking forwards to the release, it seems that the game is almost playable from the last set of screen shots we saw, just wish they could get a few more developers onto the tasks remaining to get the process out the door.

--
Del

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 22
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/26/2007 8:02:56 AM   
pasternakski

You might want to note that the "March Update" from which you quote is more than two years old.

I fully agree with those who have suggested that purchasing this game should wait until it becomes clear how well it actually turned out and how much effort will be spent on supporting it. If the excuse for delay in publication is, "It is only a part-time project, and only so much time can be devoted to it by its primary designer," that is my primary reason for not rushing out to buy the game.

A long time ago in a galaxy far away, I was a trusting supporter of whatever Matrix produced.

No longer.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to delatbabel)
Post #: 23
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/28/2007 5:10:55 PM   
Joisey

Anyone familiar with the play "Waiting for Godot"?

"Glory is fleeting, but obscurity is forever."
- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 24
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/28/2007 7:45:35 PM   
pasternakski

A couple of friends of mine and I decided to play cards while we wait, but we couldn't find a fourth, so we let rigor mortis set in.

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to Joisey)
Post #: 25
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/29/2007 11:20:27 PM   
ktotwf

It looks like it will come out this year, so, lets all hope.

As much as I wish this would have come out earlier, I am still really hyped up to play the game.

(in reply to pasternakski)
Post #: 26
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/30/2007 1:23:24 AM   
ravinhood

I expect this game is going to end up like Black Powder:Battles of Napoleon....vaporware. ;) A game that takes this long to release just ain't gonna make it. There is no reason a wargame that doesn't have modern day graphics even should take 5 years or more to produce. Vaporware. Look what they did to Combat Leader.. another vaporware product from Matrixgames.

(in reply to ktotwf)
Post #: 27
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/30/2007 2:38:25 AM   
Terminus

And yet, despite your hatred for Matrix, you have hung around their forum for three and a half years... You sad loser...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to ravinhood)
Post #: 28
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/30/2007 3:32:03 AM   
cdbeck

Well, if it does turn to Vaporware... at least I'll know that Duke Nukem will be somewhere, playing Empire in Arms.

Better yet, maybe Duke Nukem will be a GENERAL in Empire in Arms... Modding anyone?

SoM

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet!"
(Kill them all. God will know his own.)

-- Arnaud-Armaury, the Albigensian Crusade

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 29
RE: Is this game still alive? - 3/30/2007 5:21:08 AM   
sol_invictus

It seems like the AI is the big hold-up, big surprise there, and something about email. Who in their right mind would play this game against the AI. If the AI is causing Matrix fits, I say just forget about it and release the game as soon as possible. AI will never be able to play this game well.

(in reply to cdbeck)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Is this game still alive? Page: [1] 2 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI