Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Small Ship, Big War

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/8/2007 8:53:49 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

RIP

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 4/8/2007 9:04:47 PM >

"Never take counsel of your fears."

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 451
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/8/2007 8:55:23 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

RIP

You started the eulogy a bit early, I think.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to AU Tiger_MatrixForum)
Post #: 452
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/8/2007 9:07:55 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I don't think so. They are sailing into what will likely be a hotly contested campaign. The Hibiki is the only ship in that TF trailing smoke so every bomber and submarine will likely shoot at her first. I just hope some of our favorite characters get pulled from the burning sea.

Put a fork in her, she is done.

< Message edited by AU Tiger -- 4/8/2007 9:23:40 PM >

Tho. Jackson

Post #: 453
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/9/2007 7:39:19 AM   
1EyedJacks

quote:

ORIGINAL: AU Tiger

I don't think so. They are sailing into what will likely be a hotly contested campaign. The Hibiki is the only ship in that TF trailing smoke so every bomber and submarine will likely shoot at her first. I just hope some of our favorite characters get pulled from the burning sea.

Put a fork in her, she is done.

Oh yea of little faith. He'll B fine. That's one bad-a$$ed little ship. Besides, the Thread will protect him (Japanes ships are male - right?).

TTFN,

Mike

Post #: 454
RE: Not Again! - 4/9/2007 11:29:56 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 1, 1942

Course: Northeast
Attached to: TF 62
Mission: Bombardment
System Damage: 26
Float Damage: 0
Fires: 3
Fuel: 179

Orders: Proceed to Wake Island and destroy enemy facilities and defenses there.

---

There are no further incidents on the way north. By midnight the Yamato battle group is in position off Wake Island. The battleships and heavy cruisers begin shelling enemy positions. To the onlookers aboard the Hibiki it soon looks as though the entire atoll is in flames. From a distance of several miles the destruction seems to be almost total.

For the rest of the night the group hurries back south. Aboard the Hibiki efforts to bring the fire under control are largely successful, though a few hot spots remain. Makeshift patching on the hole in the side of the ship is begun. In boiler room number three Chief Engineer Sakati and his men work to try and repair the damaged boiler, and by three AM the fire is relit.

Dawn brings a welcome sight. The carriers of Kido Butai appear on the horizon, and fighters are soon circling protectively overhead. Later in the morning a dozen B-25s and SBDs approach the task force, but the Japanese fighters shoot down several and the rest flee without dropping their bombs.

In the dispensary Engineer Second Class Yukinobu Hiroka dies of his burns, mercifully without ever regaining conciousness.

---

It is midmorning. In the officer's wardroom aboard the Hibiki Captain Ishii is holding a meeting with his senior officers.

Captain Ishii: Admiral Ishikawa has inquired rather forcefully once again whether we wish to leave the battle group and return to Kwajalein. I would like to have your opinions before I reply.

Chief Torpedo Officer Sugiyura: Sir, this ship is still battleworthy. Our striking capacity is unimpaired. I think we should stay.

Chief Engineer Sakati: I disagree. Part of this ship's offensive ability is its speed. If we are forced to go much faster than 25 knots that patch on the hull is going to start shipping more water than the pumps can handle.

Chief Torpedo Officer Sugiyura: Back to Japan before we fire a shot? It is unthinkable!

Captain Ishii: What do you think, Exec?

Lieutenant Miharu: Sir, I am reluctant to depart. But there is this: If we suffer any further misfortune at all right now, even a small breakdown, we will become a hindrance to the battle group rather than a help. In all conscience I think we must return to Kwajalein.

Captain Ishii: *sighs* Lieutenant Sugiyura, I understand your position. I feel the same way. But we must think of our duty to Japan, not just our desire to fight. We will withdraw.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 455
RE: Not Again! - 4/9/2007 11:34:04 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 2, 1942

Course: Northeast
Attached to: TF 51
Mission: Surface Combat
Fires: 0
Fuel: 150

Orders: Return to Kwajalein.

---

Hibiki proceeds slowly south, alone. In the morning Captain Ishii presides over a solemn ceremony on the foredeck. After a short Shinto rite he says a few words about the two wrapped bundles on the deck in front of him, bundles that two days ago had been shipmates.

When he is finished Chief Petty Officer Shun barks an order. The assembled crew snaps to attention. As gently as possible the two bodies are lifted up and slid into the sea. After a moment Shun gives another order and the crew slowly disperses.

After they depart Captain Ishii stands alone, gazing out at the sea. His face is set and sad. He remains motionless for a short time, then turns away and slowly returns to the bridge.

< Message edited by Cuttlefish -- 4/9/2007 11:36:20 PM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 456
RE: Not Again! - 4/9/2007 11:34:53 PM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Way to go Exec!

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 457
RE: Small Ship, Big War - 4/10/2007 11:47:19 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: goodboyladdie

Send her home CF. With her damage the game will see her as the most visible ship and she will become a bomber magnet. Good news for the Battleships, but bad news for our favourite AAR...

ps - please change her bitmap for Fremen's - the stock ship sides hurt my eyes...

I just updated to the JWE standardized ship art set - that should help.

(in reply to goodboyladdie)
Post #: 458
RE: Not Again! - 4/10/2007 11:54:28 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 3, 1942

Course: Southwest
Attached to: TF 51
Fuel: 120

Orders: Return to Kwajalein.

---

Excerpt from a report written by Captain Ishii for Imperial Navy Headquarters:

Despite the damage suffered in the attack, the ship's improved anti aircraft capability has already shown its worth. Two of the four attacking planes were damaged and their attacks disrupted; had this not been the case we might have suffered far worse damage. If this attack occured before our refit the enemy dive bombers would have been able to execute their attacks almost completely unhindered.

I must, however, respectfully suggest that further improvements should be considered. If we are to effectively engage all attacking aircraft additional guns will be required. I understand that limitations of weight and space are problems, but I have confidence that if the fine naval architects of the Japanese Navy consider the problem solutions might be found.

Finally, I must comment on some problems that are already apparent with the Type 96 guns. I know that they are highly regarded, and any problems they displayed in combat are no doubt attributable to deficiencies in the training and performance of the crew. May I suggest, however, that a study of captured British and American anti aircraft guns might be useful? Our enemies seem able to build AA weapons that are not steaming piles of ox dung.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 459
RE: Not Again! - 4/10/2007 11:58:17 PM   
Cuttlefish

June 4, 1942

Course: None
Attached to: Disbanded in port
Fuel: 475

Orders: Return to Japan for repairs.

---

Battered Hibiki enters the safety of Kwajalein lagoon. Captain Ishii directs Chief Engineer Sakati to immediately begin doing what he can to improve the makeshift repairs made at sea. Fuel, water, 25mm ammunition, and provisions are to be taken aboard.

The atoll is busier than ever. As Hibiki arrives a pair of freighters are unloading the howitzers of the 17th Field Artillery Regiment. Just arrived from Japan are battleship Ise and heavy cruiser Mikuma, along with a trio of destroyers. These ships are already preparing to join in the blockade of Wake Island. Four large fuel tankers are refilling the island's new storage tanks in anticipation of heavy demand in the days ahead.

By all reports phase one of Operation Mi-Go has achieved success. Hibiki has been the only ship damaged, and American air power over the island seems to have been destroyed. There has been no response yet from the Americans, but scout planes and submarines are keeping watchful eyes turned in the direction of Midway Island, the expected avenue of approach of any attempt to relieve the island.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 460
RE: Not Again! - 4/10/2007 11:59:00 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

Our enemies seem able to build AA weapons that are not steaming piles of ox dung.

Subtlety is not Captain Ishii's strong point, is it?

EDIT: Evidently not: i just looked him up in the CHS data:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 4/11/2007 12:39:56 AM >

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 461
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 12:02:04 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 5, 1942

System Damage: 25

---

In the Captain's cabin aboard the Hibiki:

Captain Ishii: Come in, Exec.

Lieutenant Miharu: *enters and salutes* Sir, I have reviewed the reports as you requested.

Captain Ishii: Yes?

Lieutenant Miharu: I have added the fuel consumption and damage reports I prepared. Everything else seems fine. I...do have one minor change to suggest, sir. In your report on the new anti aircraft guns the line about "steaming piles of ox dung" might not be well recieved. Perhaps you should phrase things a little more diplomatically.

Captain Ishii: You think so? Yes, I suppose you're right. Leave it on my desk and I'll change it.

Lieutenant Miharu: Very good, sir. *leaves the report, then salutes and departs*

Captain Ishii sighs, then pulls the report towards him. He thinks a moment, then takes a pen and scratches out "ox dung". Above it he carefully writes "monkey droppings".

---

From the diary of Seaman First Class Taiki Takahashi:

Back to Japan again! There are jokes among the crew that we call more often at Japanese ports than a Hokkaido ferryboat. But it is mostly good natured. I think everyone is happy to still be afloat.

Riku has been behaving oddly again. He went ashore early this morning and when he came back his step seemed lighter than it has been since we left Japan. I was worried about him, actually, lately he seemed to be trudging everywhere. But he was so energetic and cheerful he actually volunteered to join the reprovisioning party. All day long he carried crates back and forth, here and there, almost tirelessly.

I really wish I had his social gifts. He found the time to talk with the captains of several ships loading supplies for other bases in the area, and was full of news and gossip when he returned. I actually think the war seems to be changing him for the better. He has a drive and purpose now that he lacked when we left Mako for Khota Bharu half a year ago. Half a year! Has it really been that long? I wonder what changes another six months will bring for all of us?

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 462
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 1:26:05 AM   
kaleun

Wow! What an AAR. I just found it today and read the whole thing.
I feel so embarrassed at my pathetic attempts at an AAR. (Shame and Execration and Halsey defects)

Appear at places to which he must hasten; move swiftly where he does not expect you.
Sun Tzu

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 463
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 3:11:08 AM   
Onime No Kyo

Just saw Vetamur's new AAR. Promises to be a good read. I hope you realize that you've started an entirely new genre, CF. I'm not sure what it should be called, but if I were you, I'd opt for "Hibikianism", "Cuttlefishism" just doesnt have the same ring to it.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to kaleun)
Post #: 464
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 3:19:28 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

I have been inspired create a 'sub-genre' in an AAR. Mine will feature the trials and tribulations of a gunner in the Fort Winfield Scott Coastal Defense battery. Should be a fascinating read I imagine.

Tho. Jackson

Post #: 465
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 5:09:12 AM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

Our enemies seem able to build AA weapons that are not steaming piles of ox dung.

Subtlety is not Captain Ishii's strong point, is it?

EDIT: Evidently not: i just looked him up in the CHS data:

Nice!

My read on Captain Ishii is that he is capable of being diplomatic, but it doesn't come naturally to him. If he is tired or upset look out.

quote:

Original: Onime No Kyo

Just saw Vetamur's new AAR. Promises to be a good read. I hope you realize that you've started an entirely new genre, CF. I'm not sure what it should be called, but if I were you, I'd opt for "Hibikianism", "Cuttlefishism" just doesnt have the same ring to it.

I really think Cap Mandrake should get most of the credit here. He showed what an AAR could do, even if he didn't pioneer this specific format. And I think - if I am not imagining things - that someone made a casual comment here on the forums about two years ago that they would like to see an AAR that followed just one ship. That idea stuck in my brain. I have no idea who it was, though.

Given that, though, I think I prefer the term "Hibiki-style AAR".

quote:

Original: AU Tiger

I have been inspired create a 'sub-genre' in an AAR. Mine will feature the trials and tribulations of a gunner in the Fort Winfield Scott Coastal Defense battery. Should be a fascinating read I imagine.

That would be great! I can already picture it:

August 22, 1943: We had spam for dinner.

August 23, 1943: We had spam for dinner.

August 24, 1943: We had spam for dinner. Boy, do I hate spam.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 466
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 2:23:27 PM   
Mike Solli

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish
That would be great! I can already picture it:

August 22, 1943: We had spam for dinner.

August 23, 1943: We had spam for dinner.

August 24, 1943: We had spam for dinner. Boy, do I hate spam.

That's pretty much the truth. My Dad was in the ETA during WWII and pretty much had spam every day for a year and a half after he landed in France. After the war ended, he came home and married my Mom. One day he came home from work and smelled dinner cooking. He asked my Mom was she was cooking and she replied, "spam". He walked over to the pot, picked it up, and threw it in the trash. My Mom never cooked spam again.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 467
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 2:32:04 PM   
rtrapasso

.. oops! wrong thread!!

< Message edited by rtrapasso -- 4/11/2007 6:18:42 PM >

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 468
RE: Not Again! - 4/11/2007 6:14:10 PM   
princep01

For a "lucky ship", Hibiki seems to attract a great deal of bad karma in this game.  That's the second aerial bomb she has been the recipient of so far, right?

I blame M & M Enterprises.  Has Seaman Rukiu been instructed by his real masters to paint BOMB ME on the deck in the new, florescent M & M Enterprises primer only visible to Allied pilots equipped with M & M's new 3D goggles?

In addition, we begin to see the genesis of why the good ship's captain eventually is employed elsewhere.  Having secret police officers pushed overboard; calling the new AA guns with the very short magazines  "steaming ox feces", while true, will not go over well at Comined Fleet HQ.  Ishii is a fightin' man, but, as noted, sublety, is not his strong suit. 

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 469
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 1:22:58 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 6, 1942

---

While the burden and responsibility of command fall squarely on the shoulders of a ship’s captain, on the shoulders of a ship’s executive officer falls an almost equal burden. Paperwork. A navy runs on forms and reports as much as on fuel oil and ammunition.

Lieutenant Miharu is in his tiny cabin finishing the last of a stack of documents. After action reports, damage reports, supply requisitions, and many other documents are piled in a thick stack. The lieutenant starts to gather them up, then pauses. He searches through the papers until he finds the captain’s evaluation of the refit. He reads it, shakes his head, then retypes it with one paragraph omitted. He expertly appends the Captain’s signature to the new version and then places the reports in a pouch that is soon on its way to Sixth Fleet headquarters.

---

Another report leaves the Hibiki, to be left ashore with a rather valuable box to be delivered to one Captain Ito. This report is in surprisingly improved English, and is a model of clarity. It details quantities and prices and lists distributors, and in general shows a business acumen that would attract favorable attention from the sales departments of many large companies. This document also bears Captain Ishii’s signature, though neither Captain Ishii nor Lieutenant Miharu have any idea of its existence.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 470
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 1:25:24 AM   
Cuttlefish

June 7, 1942

---

Lieutenant Miharu leans on the starboard rail of the Hibiki. Below him Midshipman Izu is supervising the loading of a cargo net full of provisions from a supply tender to the Hibiki. With him are Chief Petty Officer Shun and a PO2, along with several crewmen.

The lieutenant has had a worried eye on Izu for the last few days. Ever since the air attack that damaged Hibiki the young midshipman has seemed tense and depressed. Miharu has no idea why, since Izu’s performance during the attack was exemplary. He led a damage control team in fighting the fires with skill and bravery, and it is clear that he has earned promotion to Ensign once Hibiki returns to Japan.

At the moment Lieutenant Miharu is observing a problem he does understand. Midshipman Izu is busily giving orders to the petty officers, oblivious to the fact that they obviously know what needs doing better than he does. Miharu almost smiles. He did the same thing when he was a midshipman. It took some time before he learned that one does not need to shout orders in order to be in command. The petty officers bear it patiently and eventually the job is done, even with Izu’s help.

Later, Lieutenant Miharu approaches Izu. The midshipman salutes and stands at attention.

“At ease, Midshipman,” Miharu says. “Thank you for seeing the provisions aboard.”

“Yes sir, thank you, sir,”

“I have a question for you. Aboard any ship, who are the best and most experienced sailors?” Midshipman Izu answers immediately.

“The senior officers, sir,” he says. Lieutenant Miharu shakes his head.

“Officers are trained in many skills the average sailor does not possess or need,” he says. “But I am speaking about ordinary seamanship.”

“Well, sir, in that case the petty officers,” says Izu. The lieutenant nods.

“That is correct. Just as one example, Chief Petty Officer Shun has been in the Imperial Navy for almost twenty years. He has been aboard the Hibiki since 1935. In almost any task involving the day to day running of the ship, I defer to his experience and judgment.” Midshipman Izu is not by any means stupid, and he quickly sees what the executive officer is actually talking about.

“I see, sir,” he says. “Thank you, I will keep it in mind.” Miharu nods.

“Very good,” he says. “Carry on.” Izu salutes and departs. No need to also mention, Lieutenant Miharu reflects, that if he wished Shun could snap the midshipman in two like a breadstick. The Chief’s devotion to navy discipline is so strong that he would stand patiently and let the young officer strike him repeatedly if necessary.

The executive officer continues on his way. There is a lot more to do before the ship is ready to sail for Japan in the morning.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 471
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 1:41:35 AM   
John 3rd

I have to agree--IJN Hibiki has been rather unlucky so far.  At least she is still afloat!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 472
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 6:54:02 AM   
histgamer

LONG LIVE THE HIBIKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 473
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:03:21 AM   
marky

shell probly survive the war just to be sunk by the bombbbb

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 474
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:07:36 AM   
John 3rd

Hey Marky--How did you get that clip of Episode III? How hard is it to load something like that as your signature?

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 475
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:08:51 AM   
marky

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Hey Marky--How did you get that clip of Episode III? How hard is it to load something like that as your signature?

i found it sumwhere, but i forget where

i used photobucket and put the link in with IMG brackets

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 476
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:13:42 AM   
John 3rd

Well---It ROCKS!  The whole movie was worth watching Yoda vs. the Emporer and Obi-Wan vs. Anakin!  I'll try to find something like that...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 477
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:13:47 AM   
AU Tiger_MatrixForum

Shouldn't that conversation be in a different forum?
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=115

Tho. Jackson

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 478
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:15:09 AM   
marky

ugh i despised that game, i shall not set foot in that forum! 

btw nice work fishy!

Post #: 479
RE: Not Again! - 4/12/2007 7:16:10 AM   
marky

an AU shouldnt u be getting ur homework done!?

*southern drawwwwlll*

even tho u was never much for yer books n such!

(in reply to marky)
Post #: 480
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> After Action Reports >> RE: Small Ship, Big War Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI