Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 4/15/2007 4:02:04 AM   
mikeejay2

Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith (b 1810- d 1875) was born in Guilford, North Carolina and moved to Indiana at the age of nineteen, where he worked as a farm laborer to pay for his education. At the age of twenty-four, he was elected sheriff and served two terms. Meredith served four terms in the state legislature and was appointed U. S. Marshal in 1849. Governor Oliver P. Morton appointed Meredith colonel of the 19th Indiana, and upon arriving in Washington in August 1861, Meredith boldly visited President Lincoln to ask for new blue uniforms for his regiment. Meredith participated at the Second Manassas against Stonewall Jackson where the 19th Indiana suffered 259 casualties, and he was severely wounded. His horse was shot underneath him, Colonel Meredith was crushed, and broke his ribs. In October 1862, Meredith was promoted to brigadier general, but not without some raised eyebrows. Meredith had long lobbied for the position having written Governor Morton April 17, 1861, asking to be appointed to the rank. He had been recommended for promotion by General Joseph Hooker in recognition of his achievements in the battle of Antietam – a battle Colonel Meredith was not present at. In November 1862, Meredith received command of the “Iron Brigade” made up of two Indiana, one Michigan, and three Wisconsin regiments. At Fredericksburg, Meredith’s first battle in brigade command, the Iron Brigade was not heavily engaged, losing just 65 men. However, Meredith failed to execute an order given toward the end of the first day by his division commander, Gen. Abner Doubleday. While there is a possibility that Meredith never received the order, Doubleday was so incensed that after two hours the order had not been carried out he relieved Meredith on the spot. With his political connections, he regained command in time to lead them at Chancellorville. The brigade was only lightly engaged in this fight. At Gettysburg, his brigade lost two-thirds of its force in the early fighting, and Meredith received a disabling wound. A piece of shrapnel hit him in the head knocking him unconscious, and his dead horse fell on top of him. Neither the Iron Brigade nor Meredith ever fully recovered. In early 1864, the six-foot-six general was given garrison duty in Cairo, Illinois. In September 1864, he was transferred to Paducah, Kentucky where he remained until the war ended. Meredith served as Surveyor General of the Montana Territory from 1867 to 1869. In 1869, he retired to his farm near Cambridge City, Indiana. There he raised prized long horn cattle. He is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Cambridge City.

Post #: 1
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 4/17/2007 1:33:19 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks!

(in reply to mikeejay2)
Post #: 2
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 4/29/2007 12:01:17 AM   
jkBluesman

I know that Gibbon objected to have Meredith succeed him as commander of the "Iron Brigade". The other colonels of the brigade were in favour of his promotion and liked to serve under him.
Perhaps three things might be cleared up:
- the 19th Indiana was part of the "Iron Brigade"
- Meredith had fallen from his horse at Brawner Farm, the first battle of the "Iron Brigade"
- the Brigade fought against odds and numbers on the first day of Gettysburg and were part of the troops that defended Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill on day two and three

< Message edited by jkBluesman -- 4/29/2007 11:17:53 AM >

(in reply to mikeejay2)
Post #: 3
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 4/30/2007 12:27:04 PM   
cesteman

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman

I know that Gibbon objected to have Meredith succeed him as commander of the "Iron Brigade". The other colonels of the brigade were in favour of his promotion and liked to serve under him.
Perhaps three things might be cleared up:
- the 19th Indiana was part of the "Iron Brigade"
- Meredith had fallen from his horse at Brawner Farm, the first battle of the "Iron Brigade"
- the Brigade fought against odds and numbers on the first day of Gettysburg and were part of the troops that defended Culp's Hill and Cemetery Hill on day two and three

I think the Iron Brigade is best know for the fighting at Gettysgurg. I can remember reading about the Iron Brigade when I was in High School and I was always under the impression that the brigade received the name from the fighting at Gettysburg. I was wrong. So where did they get their name? It's interesting to note that I became hooked on the ACW after a visit to Gettysburg during my childhood. I'd love to go back there again and revisit the battlefield. Maybe I'll make it a point to visit during the summer in July so I can see all the action from the reinactmints.
Christian

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 4
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 4/30/2007 5:31:23 PM   
jkBluesman

[/quote]
I think the Iron Brigade is best know for the fighting at Gettysgurg. I can remember reading about the Iron Brigade when I was in High School and I was always under the impression that the brigade received the name from the fighting at Gettysburg. I was wrong. So where did they get their name?
[/quote]

The brigade was named after the Battle of South Mountain (Sept. 14, 1862), where it had fought against D.H. Hill's division that was posted in a formidable defensiv position. The Federals had to sustain high casualties but the brigade did not breake. Hooker referred to it in a conversation with McClellan as his "Iron Brigade".

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 5
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 5/29/2007 2:15:27 AM   
Gil R.

Here's Meredith's bio. I made some changes using jkBluesman's suggestions, and rewrote a bit, but it's mostly unchanged. Let me know if the ratings or abilities seem off.

Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith (b. 1810, d. 1875). Meredith was born in Guilford, North Carolina and at the age of nineteen moved to Indiana, where he worked as a farm laborer to pay for his education. At the age of twenty-four, he was elected sheriff and served two terms. Meredith served four terms in the state legislature and was appointed U.S. Marshal in 1849. When troops were being raised after the outbreak of the Civil War, Gov. Oliver P. Morton appointed Meredith Colonel of the 19th Indiana Infantry Regiment. Upon arriving in Washington, D.C. in August, Meredith boldly visited Pres. Abraham Lincoln to ask for new blue uniforms for his regiment, but it was for its hats that this regiment became more known, since the 19th Indiana was to become part of the famed “Iron Brigade,” which also was known as the “Black Hat Brigade” (or “Black-Hat Boys”) because of the black Hardee hats the men wore. Meredith’s most notable moment with the 19th Indiana came at the Second Battle of Bull Run, the their first experience with combat, when the regiment suffered 259 casualties in fighting against Gen. “Stonewall” Jackson, and Meredith himself was severely wounded after his horse was shot out from underneath him. Meredith survived being crushed by the horse, suffering some broken ribs, and in October 1862 was promoted to brigadier general, but not without some raised eyebrows: he had long lobbied for the position, having first written Morton on April 17, 1861 to ask for an appointment at this rank, and later had been recommended for promotion by Gen. Joseph Hooker in recognition of his achievements in the Battle of Antietam – a battle at which Meredith was not present. The following month, Meredith received command of the Iron Brigade, which by then was comprised of two Indiana, one Michigan, and three Wisconsin regiments. Meredith’s predecessor, Gen. John Gibbon, was opposed to Meredith’s promotion, but the brigade’s other colonels liked Meredith and gladly served under him. At the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, Meredith’s first battle in brigade command, the Iron Brigade was not heavily engaged, losing just sixty-five men, but Meredith failed to execute an order given by his division commander, Gen. Abner Doubleday, toward the end of the day. While there is a possibility that Meredith never received the order, Doubleday was so incensed when the order had not been carried out after two hours that he relieved Meredith on the spot. With his political connections, however, Meredith regained command in time to lead the brigade at Chancellorsville the following spring. In this major battle the Iron Brigade was only lightly engaged, but at Gettysburg on July 1 it lost two-thirds of its force in the early fighting, and Meredith received a disabling wound when a piece of shrapnel hit him in the head and knocked him unconscious, following which his dead horse fell on top of him. Neither the Iron Brigade nor Meredith ever fully recovered, though both continued to serve in the war: the Iron Brigade was reformed and its surviving, battle-ready troops still fought, while in early 1864 Meredith, having recovered from his wound, was given garrison duty in Cairo, Illinois. That September, Meredith was transferred to Paducah, Kentucky, where he remained until the war ended. Following the war, Meredith served as Surveyor General of the Montana Territory from 1867 to 1869. In 1869, he retired to his farm near Cambridge City, Indiana, where he raised prized longhorn cattle. Meredith is buried in Riverside Cemetery in Cambridge City. (Bio by Scott Jennings)

Leadership: 4
Tactics: 4
Initiative: 3
Command: 4
Cavalry:

Start date: 42 or 43
Teaches: Steady (14), Brave (2), Resilient (23)

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 6
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 5/29/2007 8:29:36 AM   
Klahn

My only quibble is that I'm pretty sure the Iron Brigade that Meredith took command of was made up of 3 wisconsin, 1 michigan, and 1 indiana regiment. (The bio shows 2 indiana regiments.)

Brigade composition

2nd Wisconsin
6th Wisconsin
7th Wisconsin
19th Indiana
24th Michigan (added in October of 1862)

At one point during the Wilderness campaign the 7th Indiana was attached. (As was the 1st New York Sharpshooters Battalion.) Gen. Cutler was in command during the Wilderness campaign though. I don't think Meredith ever commanded the Iron Brigade with 2 Indiana units in it.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 6/4/2007 7:25:55 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the info. Can anyone confirm or deny?

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 8
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 6/4/2007 1:42:24 PM   
jkBluesman

The ones mentioned are correct. Battery B of the 4th U.S. Artillery was associated with the brigade also. After Gettysburg several units were brigaded with the Westerners: the 167th Pennsylvania, the 1st Batallion NY Sharpshooters, the 76th New York, 7th Indiana, 143rd, 149th and 150th Pennsylvania and 91st New York.
According to Alan Nolan's The Iron Brigade (which I got from a Wisconsin friend) Meredith had had th plan to form an Indiana brigade in the East with the 7th and 19th Indiana and new volunteers but dropped the plan when Gibbon was promototed and a brigadier general needed for the Iron Brigade.

"War is the field of chance."
Carl von Clausewitz

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 9
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 6/5/2007 7:31:47 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks for the explanation.

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 10
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 6/5/2007 8:13:41 AM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: jkBluesman
The brigade was named after the Battle of South Mountain (Sept. 14, 1862), where it had fought against D.H. Hill's division that was posted in a formidable defensiv position. The Federals had to sustain high casualties but the brigade did not breake. Hooker referred to it in a conversation with McClellan as his "Iron Brigade".

Maj. Gen. Joseph Hooker, commanding I Corps, approached Army of the Potomac commander Maj. Gen. George B. McClellan, seeking orders. McClellan asked, "What troops are those fighting in the Pike?" Hooker replied, "[Brigadier] General Gibbon's brigade of Western men." McClellan stated, "They must be made of iron." Hooker said that the brigade had performed even more superbly at Second Bull Run; to this, McClellan said that the brigade consisted of the "best troops in the world." Hooker became very elated and rode off with his orders; afterward, the name "Iron Brigade" stuck.

Is supposedly the conversation in words. Dont think that could ever be verified tho.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to jkBluesman)
Post #: 11
RE: Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith - 6/5/2007 8:45:46 PM   
jkBluesman

The story was told in a postwar letter, so it is probably untrue. But as there are various stories of the conversation between Hooker and McClellan and the brigade was called "Iron Brigade", there must be a grain of truth in it.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Generals' Biographies Project >> Brig. Gen. Solomon Meredith Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI