Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Features for ToaW 4

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Features for ToaW 4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 4:38:36 AM   
SMK-at-work

Anothe thing - the ability to set some transport limits by zones - eg seperate naval transport capabilities for the Arctic, Baltic and Black Seas in FitE/DNO.

And the ability to change them by events that give a + or - amount, rather than having to just set a single total.

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 31
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 5:55:32 AM   
AndyfromVA1

Better map graphics.
Usable 3d units.
Sharper AI on both offense and defense.
AI that would allow you to delegate command of certain units, which would move and fight based on orders from the AI..

(in reply to SMK-at-work)
Post #: 32
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 6:08:06 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: m5000.2006

i think the max map size is 300x300 now

do you consider making it bigger in one of the next patches?

400x400 or 500x500?

would allow making really huge, detailed maps

*gets a headache thinking abotu such a large map!! (Not that I am pooh-poohing the idea).

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 33
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 6:09:05 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyfromVA1
Sharper AI on both offense and defense.

Heh heh, Elmer has come a long way from CoW.

If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to AndyfromVA1)
Post #: 34
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 7:39:14 AM   
SMK-at-work

Graphics and 3d are chrome - make the game modable & people can do it themselves - make the game good even with  ordinary graphics and it will happen - make the game bad with wonderful graphics and it's dead.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 35
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 8:19:35 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: SMK-at-work

Graphics and 3d are chrome - make the game modable & people can do it themselves - make the game good even with  ordinary graphics and it will happen - make the game bad with wonderful graphics and it's dead.

Ah, that must be in response to Andy.
Didn't even notice the first two parts of his suggestion. Given thought, I have to agree that working on the code is much more important, at this stage, than the graphics. After all, there are many graphic mods out there that you could use, Andy.
Link

Post #: 36
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 12:15:12 PM   
m5000.2006

quote:

gets a headache thinking abotu such a large map!! (Not that I am pooh-poohing the idea).

would make it possible to make a detailed map of Scnadynavia in FitE without any cuts...

"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where –" said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
LC

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 37
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 12:16:32 PM   
Ratbag55

quote:

ORIGINAL: m5000.2006

i think the max map size is 300x300 now

do you consider making it bigger in one of the next patches?

400x400 or 500x500?

would allow making really huge, detailed maps

Agree!!

I need at least 650x650 for my Northern Europe scenario to run 5km/hex, so why not make it 900x900 while you're at it?

And 10000 units in 2000 formations. And at least 10 exclusion zones.

Please?

/Ratbag

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 38
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 12:27:13 PM   
m5000.2006

quote:

Agree!!

I need at least 650x650 for my Northern Europe scenario to run 5km/hex, so why not make it 900x900 while you're at it?

And 10000 units in 2000 formations. And at least 10 exclusion zones.

Please?

/Ratbag

that's not such a bad idea

LC

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 39
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 1:59:02 PM   
SMK-at-work

Why have a size limit at all??!! 

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 40
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/10/2007 3:34:29 PM   
Boonierat

I won't settle for less than 1000x1000, I'd be able to make a Vietnam map at 1km/hex then

Post #: 41
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/11/2007 6:26:16 AM   
Ratbag55

Seriously though. Why not raise the limits? Would it be a big undertaking in terms of programming?

I understand that raising the number of exclusion zones would involve more work since you would have to add support for them in the editor- and event menus.

But the limits of hexes, units and formations? I would guess (humbly) that the present limits 300*300/2000/400 were set originally because a limit has to be set to a computer calculation. The question is; what other parameters would be effected by raisning these limits?

I think it is something that should be considered seriously.

/Ratbag

(in reply to Boonierat)
Post #: 42
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/11/2007 6:31:59 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ratbag55

Seriously though. Why not raise the limits? Would it be a big undertaking in terms of programming?

I understand that raising the number of exclusion zones would involve more work since you would have to add support for them in the editor- and event menus.

But the limits of hexes, units and formations? I would guess (humbly) that the present limits 300*300/2000/400 were set originally because a limit has to be set to a computer calculation. The question is; what other parameters would be effected by raisning these limits?

I think it is something that should be considered seriously.

/Ratbag

I'm pretty sure it is being considered seriously.

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 43
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/11/2007 12:55:21 PM   
SMK-at-work

I suspect computers are a lot more capable now than they were when the limits were set, so computational limits shuold not be so tight.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 44
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/11/2007 7:01:11 PM   
m5000.2006

quote:

I think it is something that should be considered seriously

i WAS considering it seriously when i suggested 400x400 or 500x500...

the 300x300 limit came with toaw-acow back in the 90s, now it's 2007, time to move on a bit, i think

also, it would grant designers more freedom regarding the map scale and size, more possibilities...

< Message edited by m5000.2006 -- 4/11/2007 7:15:10 PM >

LC

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 45
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/13/2007 10:46:23 AM   
Ratbag55

Well since I'm just dreaming anyway... here's would I would like:

The inclusion in the game of a hierarchy that would work like this:

1. Alliance (eg Axis, Allies, NATO etc)
2. Nation - all Nations must be part of an Alliance
3. Faction - (eg National Spanish, Republican Spanish etc) - all factions must be part of a Nation
4. Formation - same function as today
5. Unit - same function as today
6. Subunit - the units that make up a Unit. A Unit breaks down into Subunits.

The present system of exclusion zones are removed from the game. Instead the editor allows a designer to define any group of hexes as either Alliance, Nation and/or Faction. All hexes on a map must be defined this way. I would not have Exclusion Zone 1, but instead Nation Germany to work with in the event editor. This would allow the game to keep track of an Alliance/Nations/Factions victory points.

And while I'm at it I want a pony too.

/Ratbag

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 46
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/13/2007 1:54:43 PM   
SMK-at-work

Subunits would be good - I remember playing hte old DNO boardgame in the mid-70's, and a few others since, where you could build up units from set menus - eg the Sov's got a bunch of Tank brigades, and soem time later they gained the ability to combine a couple of tank brigades, a mech inf brigade and an arty or AT brigade and some more "reserve points" to make tank corps.

So the makeup of a unit would be defined, and if you split it split into its component parts rather than jsut 1/2's or 1/3rds of the total squads in each subunit.

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 47
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/14/2007 8:16:41 AM   
Ratbag55

Here's some other suggestions:

1) When moving a unit by air-transport from an airport to another friendly controlled airport the unit should NOT conduct an air assault on that friendly controlled airport but should instead land without any disruption.

2) It should be possible to give Coastal Artillery units the order Interdiction, in which case they would strike at naval units and units in sea transport mode.

/Ratbag

Post #: 48
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/14/2007 5:23:44 PM   
Erik2

quote:

Here's some other suggestions:

1) When moving a unit by air-transport from an airport to another friendly controlled airport the unit should NOT conduct an air assault on that friendly controlled airport but should instead land without any disruption.

2) It should be possible to give Coastal Artillery units the order Interdiction, in which case they would strike at naval units and units in sea transport mode.

/Ratbag

1) To specify,most units should be able to move by airtransport to a friendly airport. This could be an equipment flag, airtransportable or not.
Units with both kind of equipment would leave the heavy stuff behind.

2) We could be using the current Local reserve order for attack out to max range and Tactical reserve for limit attack to adjacent hexes.

(in reply to Ratbag55)
Post #: 49
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/14/2007 8:28:58 PM   
Telumar

If we are at airdrops. Airdrops should be conducted in a 'drop them all at once' manner. This would just be realistic, currently you can drop a unit into a certain hex and when you discover that that hex is already occupied (your airborne unit evaporates) , you can just drop to a neighbouring hex. Or if you drop the first unit you can also see if the adjacent hexes are occupied and execute your drops accordingly. This maybe would require the introduction of aereal recon that can be controlled by the player instead of (or in addition to) the more general theatre recon level.

And regarding sub-units: Legun aka Jarek Flis has made a decent and very detailed suggestion about subunits, attachments etc. over at Http://www.tdg.nu

(in reply to Erik2)
Post #: 50
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/14/2007 11:56:58 PM   
Veers

quote:

If we are at airdrops. Airdrops should be conducted in a 'drop them all at once' manner. This would just be realistic, currently you can drop a unit into a certain hex and when you discover that that hex is already occupied (your airborne unit evaporates) , you can just drop to a neighbouring hex. Or if you drop the first unit you can also see if the adjacent hexes are occupied and execute your drops accordingly. This maybe would require the introduction of aereal recon that can be controlled by the player instead of (or in addition to) the more general theatre recon level.

And until that time when we have some way to recon the area, I will be a staunch supporter of the current system. When we get a way to recon certain areas then great, until that time, dropping and learning and then dropping somewhere else is the only way to do that recon work. Paradrops are guess-work enough as it is, the last thing we need (before we have area specific recon) is to have to make that entire drop based on poor engine recon. 

(in reply to Telumar)
Post #: 51
How About Adding A Recon Phase? - 4/15/2007 2:35:20 AM   
rhinobones

Wonder if there might be a way to break a player’s turn into two phases; the first phase would be recon and the second phase combat as with the current system.

During the recon phase ships and aircraft would be moved and their discoveries plotted. Any remaining movement points they have could be used during the combat phase. Not real sure that land units would benefit from a recon phase, or need a recon phase since they already seem to have plenty of recon capability. Much room for thought on this one.

As for myself, don’t think I will be a big supporter of a feature that could use a bit of improvement. Think that in this case it is more productive to be proactive.

Regards, RhinoBones

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 52
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 4:00:49 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

ORIGINAL: Veers

quote:

And until that time when we have some way to recon the area, I will be a staunch supporter of the current system. When we get a way to recon certain areas then great, until that time, dropping and learning and then dropping somewhere else is the only way to do that recon work. Paradrops are guess-work enough as it is, the last thing we need (before we have area specific recon) is to have to make that entire drop based on poor engine recon.

The Sov airdrops in 1943 were "all at onece" right on top of enemy. Arnhem famously had a Pz division right next door.
Air recon is over-rated. You have yuor theatre recon - you make a choice and drop where you THINK there is no enemy based upon what you know, or you decide it's too great a risk.

The idea that it should be foolproof is not supportable historically, and I'm agaisnt it. I think Telumar is right, and Veers is wrong.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 53
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 4:11:22 AM   
Veers

quote:

quote:

quote:

And until that time when we have some way to recon the area, I will be a staunch supporter of the current system. When we get a way to recon certain areas then great, until that time, dropping and learning and then dropping somewhere else is the only way to do that recon work. Paradrops are guess-work enough as it is, the last thing we need (before we have area specific recon) is to have to make that entire drop based on poor engine recon.

The Sov airdrops in 1943 were "all at onece" right on top of enemy. Arnhem famously had a Pz division right next door.
Air recon is over-rated. You have yuor theatre recon - you make a choice and drop where you THINK there is no enemy based upon what you know, or you decide it's too great a risk.

The idea that it should be foolproof is not supportable historically, and I'm agaisnt it. I think Telumar is right, and Veers is wrong.

Heh heh heh. Recon is currently totally random, which is bulloney. The Soviets may have chosen not, or been unable, to recon properly, but, if you recall, the Allies famously knew that there were tanks at Arnhem, and decided to drop anyways. When we get the chance to concentrate our recon flights where we would like (wether that intel is acurate or not), then I will support the idea of an 'all at once' method. Until then, I think I'm right and you're wrong.

< Message edited by Veers -- 4/15/2007 8:50:58 AM >

Post #: 54
RE: How About Adding A Recon Phase? - 4/15/2007 6:55:02 AM   
Ratbag55

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

Wonder if there might be a way to break a player’s turn into two phases; the first phase would be recon and the second phase combat as with the current system.

During the recon phase ships and aircraft would be moved and their discoveries plotted. Any remaining movement points they have could be used during the combat phase. Not real sure that land units would benefit from a recon phase, or need a recon phase since they already seem to have plenty of recon capability. Much room for thought on this one.

As for myself, don’t think I will be a big supporter of a feature that could use a bit of improvement. Think that in this case it is more productive to be proactive.

Regards, RhinoBones

Good idea - I like it! It might actually be a Recon/Supply phase and then a Movement/Combat phase of the same turn. If the proposed enhanced suppy logistics system was implemented it would go into the first phase.

I would also LOVE to see a new unit type: Electronic Warfare Unit which would include equipment: Electronic Warfare Squad. If air units could be given the order "Recon", then EW units should have the same ability. They would be good at discovering HQs.

/Ratbag

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 55
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 8:53:12 AM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

Heh heh heh. Recon is currently totally random, which is bullshit. The Soviets may have chosen not, or been unable, to recon properly, but, if you recal, the Allies famously knew that there were tanks at Arnhem, and decided to drop anyways.

Not quite - they had information that elements of 2 Panzer divisions rewere refitting in the area, but they dismissed it - they didn't "decide to drop anyways" - they decided the intell was wrong. That's not somethign you get from recon in ToaW - if you get intel it is always 100% correct....it may not be complete but you know that whatever yoo do get is accurate.

Now if you could factor in false intel you'd have a good point.

But until then you are still wrong

< Message edited by SMK-at-work -- 4/15/2007 8:56:57 AM >

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 56
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 9:10:42 AM   
Veers

quote:

ORIGINAL:  SMK-at-work
Not quite - they had information that elements of 2 Panzer divisions rewere refitting in the area, but they dismissed it - they didn't "decide to drop anyways" - they decided the intell was wrong.

And the differance between deciding to drop anyways, and deciding that the intel was wrong are...what? Cause to me they look pretty uch the same.
quote:

Now if you could factor in false intel you'd have a good point.

It would be nice to have this.

quote:

But until then you are still wrong

I disagree. Until we have a way to recon a specific area then the current system is better than a blind drop. With the current system you can split a Div (Rgt, Batt, etc) up into three pieces. You drop one blind (and loose it if you get unlucky and run into the II SS Corps) and the other two you at lest have an idea of what's down there. (So you live long enough to get squeezed into the Rhine)

Stefan put it well when he suggested
quote:

This maybe would require the introduction of aereal recon that can be controlled by the player instead of (or in addition to) the more general theatre recon level.
about the 'all at once' idea.

< Message edited by Veers -- 4/15/2007 9:13:52 AM >

Post #: 57
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 1:50:35 PM   
SMK-at-work

quote:

quote:

Not quite - they had information that elements of 2 Panzer divisions rewere refitting in the area, but they dismissed it - they didn't "decide to drop anyways" - they decided the intell was wrong.

And the differance between deciding to drop anyways, and deciding that the intel was wrong are...what? Cause to me they look pretty uch the same.
quote:

quote:

They sure are if you're one of the people dropping!!

But not in terms of what you said - you said they knew there were panzers in the area - by which I'm taking "panzers" to mean the 2 divisions and not jsut a few stray tanks that they did "know" about.

In fact what they knew was that there were REPORTS of panzer divisions in the area - the disregarded them as inaccurate and therefore they actually thought there were not panzer divisions in the area.

(in reply to Veers)
Post #: 58
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 2:49:39 PM   
Karri

Another thing si to consider that in real life you drop troops near a panzer division and they're still ther. Yeah, in a ****ty situation but there. In TOAW you drop troops and if there happens to be an enemy unit in the hex your unit evaporates.

One thing I want to see is better event system. If you've played Paradox games you know what I mean. I want to be able to increase/decrease single equipment production with a number or with a percentage. Ie. increase stuf production with 5, increase stug production 50%.

Post #: 59
RE: Features for ToaW 4 - 4/15/2007 4:52:27 PM   
m5000.2006

i'd add a 3rd and a 4th and a xnth force to the game, but at least a 3rd force would alleviate the most serious problems

now there are only two forces, which makes it unrealistic to play scnearios where there are Western Allies, Soviets, and Germans, and other countries (e.g. Storm on the Reich, Goetterdaemmerung 1945, or all scens depicting the entire ww2), or Germans, Soviets, and Poles (Fall Weiss)

in Goetterdaemmerung 1945 e.g. when Soviets are attacking Budapest they are supported by Western Allies' aircraft, similarly, while fighting in Italy, American and Bitish units may be supported by Soviet air units since for the computer American, British and Russian are just one force

besides, since Soviet units usually have low proficiency, they lower the overall proficiency of the Allied Force

LC

(in reply to m5000.2006)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> RE: Features for ToaW 4 Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI