Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Convoys

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Convoys Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Convoys - 4/15/2007 7:48:16 PM   
Chaylaton

Hey Steve/Beta testers or just someone that knows:

In the computer game how are convoys managed? Do you set up a convoy line and if it gets disrupted does the computer alert the player?

Chaylaton

2112 greatest rock song ever?

I say "Rush Rules"

There are only four Gods from Canada: Alex, Geddy, Neil and Wayne:)
Post #: 1
RE: Convoys - 4/15/2007 10:03:29 PM   
Mziln

Steve should answer this do to the NDA.

(in reply to Chaylaton)
Post #: 2
RE: Convoys - 4/16/2007 6:10:11 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chaylaton
Hey Steve/Beta testers or just someone that knows:

In the computer game how are convoys managed? Do you set up a convoy line and if it gets disrupted does the computer alert the player?

Chaylaton

I plan on reworking the player interface for settnig up convoys. The CWIF system was cumbersome and received a lot of criticism.

However, for your question, MWIF will follow the CWIF presentation, in that convoy lines can be viewed on several different screens: the global map (4 pixels per hex) and the resource/production screens in particular. The latter lets you review which resources are going to which factories and whether resources and/or factories are not in use. I think of this as a pre-production phase, where each player identifies the routes that resources are taking to factories and, if the optional rule for same is in effect, any saved build points. After that has been decided by everyone, then the actual production of units is performed.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Chaylaton)
Post #: 3
RE: Convoys - 8/3/2007 5:50:35 PM   
Froonp

I thought about this today, and I though that it should work this way :

You do that resource by resource.

For each resource, the program shows you whether it can be shipped all by rail or not.
A) It can be shipped by rail ==> you have nothing more to do, the resource will be shipped automatically each turn by the program, and will automatically change its shipping route if it become closed.

B) It can't be shipped solely by rail, an and then it must be shipped by sea.
For each of those resources, one by one, you would choose its path, sea area by sea area, and en the end, when you would have done this for all resources, the game would show you that you need X number of convoys in this sea area, Y number in that other one, etc...

For example, for the 3 Australian Resources.
One is in case A), because there is a Factory in Australia.
Both the others are in case B).
For the first you'd be first prompted to chose the starting Sea Areas between the Tasman Sea, the Coral Sea, the Timpr Sea, and the Cape Naturaliste.
Say you choose the Tasman Sea because you want to ship this one to Canada.
Then you would be prompted to choose between the sea areas that connect with the Tasman Sea : Coral Sea, and New Zealand Coast. You chose New Zealand Coast.
Then you are prompted to choose between South Pacific, Polynesia, The Solomons & Coral Sea. You choose South Pacific.
Then you are prompted to choose between Austral, East Polynesia & Polynesia.
Etc up to the Mexican Coast for example.
In then end, you should also be able to say to the program to which factory you want to ship the resource. Here I designate one of the Canadian factories.

Then, the program knows that you wish to ship this RP along this way, up to the Mexican Coast. The program determines itself that your RP can unload in San Diego, and do the rest of the way by rail up to the Canadian Factory.
The program would then show you the number of CP you should sail in each sea area to establish that route.

You would have this work to do once for each resource at the beginning of the game, and then it is over unless you wish to change the route.

The way it is done presently, is to put the CP, and let the program decide which RP goes where. With this way of doing, it is very hard to have the RP go where you want, and every turn you had to make long and repetitive changes in a dialog for it to work.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 4
RE: Convoys - 8/3/2007 11:05:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Froonp
I thought about this today, and I though that it should work this way :

You do that resource by resource.

For each resource, the program shows you whether it can be shipped all by rail or not.
A) It can be shipped by rail ==> you have nothing more to do, the resource will be shipped automatically each turn by the program, and will automatically change its shipping route if it become closed.

B) It can't be shipped solely by rail, an and then it must be shipped by sea.
For each of those resources, one by one, you would choose its path, sea area by sea area, and en the end, when you would have done this for all resources, the game would show you that you need X number of convoys in this sea area, Y number in that other one, etc...

For example, for the 3 Australian Resources.
One is in case A), because there is a Factory in Australia.
Both the others are in case B).
For the first you'd be first prompted to chose the starting Sea Areas between the Tasman Sea, the Coral Sea, the Timpr Sea, and the Cape Naturaliste.
Say you choose the Tasman Sea because you want to ship this one to Canada.
Then you would be prompted to choose between the sea areas that connect with the Tasman Sea : Coral Sea, and New Zealand Coast. You chose New Zealand Coast.
Then you are prompted to choose between South Pacific, Polynesia, The Solomons & Coral Sea. You choose South Pacific.
Then you are prompted to choose between Austral, East Polynesia & Polynesia.
Etc up to the Mexican Coast for example.
In then end, you should also be able to say to the program to which factory you want to ship the resource. Here I designate one of the Canadian factories.

Then, the program knows that you wish to ship this RP along this way, up to the Mexican Coast. The program determines itself that your RP can unload in San Diego, and do the rest of the way by rail up to the Canadian Factory.
The program would then show you the number of CP you should sail in each sea area to establish that route.

You would have this work to do once for each resource at the beginning of the game, and then it is over unless you wish to change the route.

The way it is done presently, is to put the CP, and let the program decide which RP goes where. With this way of doing, it is very hard to have the RP go where you want, and every turn you had to make long and repetitive changes in a dialog for it to work.

Yours is a start at a solution, but resources can move by rail both before and after convoy movement. Whcih brings up the issue of going through a straits hexside.

I am thinking in terms of:
1 - players can designate any oil resources to be saved (this might mean designating locations to which specific oil points are to be 'delivered').
2 - rail is tried first for routing resources to factories (or oil points from #1)
3 - routings used in the previous turn are tried next
4 - what remains are resources and factories unused (if either are zero, then we are done).
5 - the program proposes routings for all resources from #4 to factories (the AIO has to do this so it is not additional code)
6 - the player can accept or refuse each routing from #5
7 - based on #6, new lists similar to #4 are generated.
8 - a manual system is used by the player to designate exactly where each resource goes and how it gets there (this would be a series of constrained choices based on feasible routes).

That's as far as I have thought it through, and this is the first time I have actually written it down.

Steve

(in reply to Froonp)
Post #: 5
RE: Convoys - 8/4/2007 2:22:28 PM   
dale1066

Re Cwif Convoy system

yeah I agree it was a bit cumbersome and frankly at times a pain in the ar*e but wasn't that bad once you got used to it and it did have some good features

I liked the check box for returning all unused CPs to port ( is the sentryfication of units and CPs retained? )
I liked the fact that it would warn you, by displaying a -ve value for the # of CPs in a sea area, if you were returning too many CPs to base
I liked the default locations for convoy routes thus automating route creation for some routes ( the fix for hexes/areas to be avoided by a particular resource was a bit of a kludge but useful )

If its possible using existing code would it be possible to select a resource or factory (either on map or in the resources form) and have any associated routes to/from highlighted on the maps. This occasionally helps in the planning of attacks/defence lines

Also when creating the routes would it be possible to select a resource and using the mouse pointer trace the path you'd like the resource to use and it could build the route using available CPs, ports, rail hexes etc perhaps highlighting in red choke points like fully utilised ports or sea areas with only one available CP, straits hexsides etc. perhaps in orange it might put in its optimal route?

I'd like to stress that the last two points are WIBNIs and only if they could be implemented with little extra coding

Btw is this a good place to discuss resource lending or is that done in another thread already ?

Post #: 6
RE: Convoys - 8/4/2007 3:47:49 PM   
Peter Stauffenberg

Will it be possible to have an automatic placement of convoys button. By pushing this button the AI will place the convoys so as many resources as possible will get to factories and produce. After the convoys have been placed automatically then player can modify this by moving the convoys he want.

I guess for most countries there are some sea areas the convoys should almost alwaysbe placed in (e. g. sea areas adjacent to ports that leads to factories). So the AI can be programmed by first adding these convoys and then it can make calculations for the rest.

Placing convoys is one of the most tedious and boring parts of WIF. Especially for the British player. So getting some help from the AI to place them would be helpful indeed. But it should be optional whether you click the button or not. The alternative method by selecting sea zones for  convoys from a resource to a factory one by one should also be available for the players.

This brings me to the AI regarding how to replace convoys losses. I guess the AI especially for the British player must calculate during the production phase whether it's necessary to build new convoys or not. He must look at the losses from the subs and estimate when some convoy route will be broken unless more convoys are available and produce them in time to be placed on the map to replace losses. Maybe the simplest AI rule would be that the AI will build as many convoys as the submarines sink. So the British AI keeps track of the number of convoys the German player has sunk and replace these losses as soon as possible. Then he shouldn't run out of convoys and risk the convoy routes to be broken.

But the number of convoys needed should be altered if the British player gets access to new resources that will require new sea zones or loses some resource that will require less sea zones. If the British AI keeps track of how many convoys are needed to transport all his resources then he can compare this number with the numbers of convoys he has and produce the missing numbers. Maybe he should be encouraged to build 1-2 reserve convoys so he can quickly replace convoy losses if the German submarines do more damage than normally.

< Message edited by Borger Borgersen -- 8/4/2007 3:49:33 PM >

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 7
RE: Convoys - 8/4/2007 9:51:17 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

Dale,

- Return all unused convoys to nearest port still remains. I would like to rethink that though, since when given a choice between two equidistant ports which one the program chooses might be inferior.

- A warning about removal of needed convoys can also remain.

- Avoiding sea areas I believe is an unworkable solution because it is an indirect control instead of a direct control. It is sort of like pushing a string rather than pulling it.

- The number of possible routes can be quite large. My idea is to let the player choose each step of the way from a set of highlighted sea areas/ports. As each step is chosen, the next possible steps are then highlighted.

- Along with the selection of routes it would be quite easy to display the capacity remaining at each step to identify 'choke' points.

What are your questions concerning resource lending? Here is as good a place as any to discuss that.

Steve

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 8
RE: Convoys - 8/4/2007 9:59:48 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borger Borgersen

Will it be possible to have an automatic placement of convoys button. By pushing this button the AI will place the convoys so as many resources as possible will get to factories and produce. After the convoys have been placed automatically then player can modify this by moving the convoys he want.

I guess for most countries there are some sea areas the convoys should almost alwaysbe placed in (e. g. sea areas adjacent to ports that leads to factories). So the AI can be programmed by first adding these convoys and then it can make calculations for the rest.

Placing convoys is one of the most tedious and boring parts of WIF. Especially for the British player. So getting some help from the AI to place them would be helpful indeed. But it should be optional whether you click the button or not. The alternative method by selecting sea zones for  convoys from a resource to a factory one by one should also be available for the players.

This brings me to the AI regarding how to replace convoys losses. I guess the AI especially for the British player must calculate during the production phase whether it's necessary to build new convoys or not. He must look at the losses from the subs and estimate when some convoy route will be broken unless more convoys are available and produce them in time to be placed on the map to replace losses. Maybe the simplest AI rule would be that the AI will build as many convoys as the submarines sink. So the British AI keeps track of the number of convoys the German player has sunk and replace these losses as soon as possible. Then he shouldn't run out of convoys and risk the convoy routes to be broken.

But the number of convoys needed should be altered if the British player gets access to new resources that will require new sea zones or loses some resource that will require less sea zones. If the British AI keeps track of how many convoys are needed to transport all his resources then he can compare this number with the numbers of convoys he has and produce the missing numbers. Maybe he should be encouraged to build 1-2 reserve convoys so he can quickly replace convoy losses if the German submarines do more damage than normally.

Processing convoy losses I believe I have figured out in some detail. I want the AIO to maintain reserve convoys situated around the map at points where losses are likely to occur. The AIO will constantly reposition its merchant marine to minimize production points lost because resources were unable to reach a factory. The build plan has to anticipate losses and future needs (due to newly acquired resources or lost factories that require a new destination for a resource, etc.). This is actually one of the easier things for the AIO to calculate.

Automated movement would be a new feature and I am reluctant to add any of those. My personal experience is that 'automated' means someone. somewhere, at some time decided how you would want things done and pays no attention to your opinion on the matter. When ever I see the word 'automatic' I cringe for it means I would have to program something that could quite possibly continuously annoy players.

Advice is another matter though. Displaying the solution the AIO would propose falls under the category of AI Assistant. I believe that would be a very nice thing to provide to the players, but it will have to wait for MWIF Product 2.

Steve

(in reply to Peter Stauffenberg)
Post #: 9
RE: Convoys - 8/5/2007 3:54:26 AM   
dale1066

quote:

Return all unused convoys to nearest port still remains. I would like to rethink that though, since when given a choice between two equidistant ports which one the program chooses might be inferior.
As a player I would like to make the decision myself in that case I guess the AI will have an algorithm based on new resources coming on line next turn/s and/or sea areas under threat of attack. The version of CWif i have didn't move them back it just desentrified unused units so that when skipping from unit to unit in the naval rebase phase Unused CPs would be counted in amoung those units to rebase, you still needed to move them back or tell them to stay at sea.

quote:

The number of possible routes can be quite large. My idea is to let the player choose each step of the way from a set of highlighted sea areas/ports. As each step is chosen, the next possible steps are then highlighted.

Sounds good is this highlighting done on the map? i was hoping that for example if you selected an aussie resource and just dragged it straight to the uk then the code would pick an optimal route, but say you had issues with an opposing force in the cape basin and a treat to cps in the central atlantic then by dragging the mouse into South africa up to the belgian congo over to the carribean via mouths of the amazon and thence to the uk you get the more complicated but safer route.

With regard to lending resources the number and type is done in the pre impulse section of the turn i believe, when/where exactly can you specify the actual resource eg France being lent Cyprus rather than Cardiff, Cwif seemed to just pick the nearest ones and it was not always very easy to persuade the code that that wasn't what you wanted Can this be changed at any point in the turn from in the resources window a la Cwif default country setting and at what point in the turn would you cease to be able to modify it? all the way into the production phase ? once the player activity impulses are complete?

Post #: 10
RE: Convoys - 8/5/2007 4:47:34 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: dale1066
quote:

Return all unused convoys to nearest port still remains. I would like to rethink that though, since when given a choice between two equidistant ports which one the program chooses might be inferior.
As a player I would like to make the decision myself in that case I guess the AI will have an algorithm based on new resources coming on line next turn/s and/or sea areas under threat of attack. The version of CWif i have didn't move them back it just desentrified unused units so that when skipping from unit to unit in the naval rebase phase Unused CPs would be counted in amoung those units to rebase, you still needed to move them back or tell them to stay at sea.

quote:

The number of possible routes can be quite large. My idea is to let the player choose each step of the way from a set of highlighted sea areas/ports. As each step is chosen, the next possible steps are then highlighted.

Sounds good is this highlighting done on the map? i was hoping that for example if you selected an aussie resource and just dragged it straight to the uk then the code would pick an optimal route, but say you had issues with an opposing force in the cape basin and a treat to cps in the central atlantic then by dragging the mouse into South africa up to the belgian congo over to the carribean via mouths of the amazon and thence to the uk you get the more complicated but safer route.

With regard to lending resources the number and type is done in the pre impulse section of the turn i believe, when/where exactly can you specify the actual resource eg France being lent Cyprus rather than Cardiff, Cwif seemed to just pick the nearest ones and it was not always very easy to persuade the code that that wasn't what you wanted Can this be changed at any point in the turn from in the resources window a la Cwif default country setting and at what point in the turn would you cease to be able to modify it? all the way into the production phase ? once the player activity impulses are complete?

Sentry still exists as a unit status and turning that off for unused convoys and including them in the cycle through all the units, I'll leave as is in CWIF.

I'll look into the selection of which resources are sent as part of trade agreements. Having that decision made just prior to production seems right (CWIF calls this the Check Production Phase). The only requirement is that, if possible, all trade agreements are honored.

Steve

(in reply to dale1066)
Post #: 11
RE: Convoys - 8/10/2007 6:07:51 PM   
npilgaard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
Processing convoy losses I believe I have figured out in some detail. I want the AIO to maintain reserve convoys situated around the map at points where losses are likely to occur. The AIO will constantly reposition its merchant marine to minimize production points lost because resources were unable to reach a factory. The build plan has to anticipate losses and future needs (due to newly acquired resources or lost factories that require a new destination for a resource, etc.). This is actually one of the easier things for the AIO to calculate.

Also, expected future gains of convoys should be taken into account. This is mainly CW getting access to the US convoys, which means quite a nice boost for CW - thus the CW may be able to relax somewhat on convoy-builds when US DoW approaches (depending on how much pressure the axis put on the CW convoy lines, of course).
Minor countries can provide a nice convoy boost as well, although that is harder to foresee, as it most often depends on Axis DoW.

Regards
Nikolaj

Post #: 12
RE: Convoys - 8/10/2007 9:07:35 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: npilgaard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

Also, expected future gains of convoys should be taken into account. This is mainly CW getting access to the US convoys, which means quite a nice boost for CW - thus the CW may be able to relax somewhat on convoy-builds when US DoW approaches (depending on how much pressure the axis put on the CW convoy lines, of course).
Minor countries can provide a nice convoy boost as well, although that is harder to foresee, as it most often depends on Axis DoW.

Good point. Thanks.

Steve

(in reply to npilgaard)
Post #: 13
RE: Convoys - 8/10/2007 11:05:49 PM   
hakon

For resources, I would like the option to move ANY resource by sea, even resources that have a rail connection. Specifically, it should be possible to send the australian spare resources to the canadian factories, and then all the canadian resouces to england.

Setting up resources to go by convoy could also be an advantage when you risk loosing the rail connection later in the turn.

Post #: 14
RE: Convoys - 8/11/2007 12:56:00 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hakon

For resources, I would like the option to move ANY resource by sea, even resources that have a rail connection. Specifically, it should be possible to send the australian spare resources to the canadian factories, and then all the canadian resouces to england.

Setting up resources to go by convoy could also be an advantage when you risk loosing the rail connection later in the turn.

Resources to factories is done at the end of the turn. You can reroute resources immediately prior to production.

I can think of no instance where I do not want to use rail instead of convoys. Saving oil is a separate issue of course. But which resource goes to which factory doesn't matter. Rail is free since it doesn't draw down on a limited network capacity (e.g., convoys).

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 15
RE: Convoys - 8/11/2007 4:36:46 AM   
hakon

I figured that since you need to know what convoys are needed already during naval movement, they convoy planner screen should be available at all times.

Since resources can only be transported ONCE overseas, there ARE cases where you want to send all resources overseas instead of first filling up factories that can be reached by resources on the same rail network.

Specifically, sending the spare australian resources to Canada frees up 2 canadian resources that can be sent to the UK. This is somewhat cheaper in convoy points than sending the australian resources all the way to the UK. But if the canadian resources are used in the canadian factories, this setup will not work. Japan may have simmilar situations where resources available though the south china sea can be sent to chinese factories, while all chinese resources are sent to japan through the sea of japan. (Assuming that the allies are contesting the China Sea.)

Post #: 16
RE: Convoys - 8/11/2007 5:59:49 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: hakon

I figured that since you need to know what convoys are needed already during naval movement, they convoy planner screen should be available at all times.

Since resources can only be transported ONCE overseas, there ARE cases where you want to send all resources overseas instead of first filling up factories that can be reached by resources on the same rail network.

Specifically, sending the spare australian resources to Canada frees up 2 canadian resources that can be sent to the UK. This is somewhat cheaper in convoy points than sending the australian resources all the way to the UK. But if the canadian resources are used in the canadian factories, this setup will not work. Japan may have simmilar situations where resources available though the south china sea can be sent to chinese factories, while all chinese resources are sent to japan through the sea of japan. (Assuming that the allies are contesting the China Sea.)

Thanks, you're right of course.

Steve

(in reply to hakon)
Post #: 17
RE: Convoys - 8/11/2007 8:16:01 AM   
Zorachus99

Ok, feature request, severity, 'nice to have'.

When moving a naval group from one sea area to another it would be nice if I only had to drag it to the sea area, and the screen would perhaps auto-center on the 0 box to either continue moving the fleet or move up to a higher box.  This would be a touch easier to move your fleets around without having to bother with the zoom so much. 

Post #: 18
RE: Convoys - 8/11/2007 11:09:13 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorachus99

Ok, feature request, severity, 'nice to have'.

When moving a naval group from one sea area to another it would be nice if I only had to drag it to the sea area, and the screen would perhaps auto-center on the 0 box to either continue moving the fleet or move up to a higher box.  This would be a touch easier to move your fleets around without having to bother with the zoom so much. 

That's one reasonable idea. Coming up soon I intend to examine the player interface for naval moves.

Steve

(in reply to Zorachus99)
Post #: 19
RE: Convoys - 8/13/2007 3:44:26 PM   
composer99

The Australia-Canada line is a nice convoy line indeed. Exactly how it is routed probably depends on whether the CW has Food in Flames or not.

~ Composer99

Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Convoys Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI