Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Possible distribution solution for Steel Panthers World at War 3.0 Patch.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Possible distribution solution for Steel Panthers World at War 3.0 Patch. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Possible distribution solution for Steel Panthers World... - 8/26/2000 6:32:00 AM   
Keebler

As a community of avid gamers why not share the responsibility of distributing the patch for this wonderful game. Here is the concept I suggest. Shared Computer Resource Distribution Network. Here is how it would work. People who want to get the patch leave a message in this thread with their ICQ number. Matrix then releases the game to a few games that then accept the responsibility to upload the file to at least two other gamers who have requested the patch. These people in turn accept the responsibility to upload the file to at least two other gamers that have requested the patch, and so on and so on. Once a user has received the patch, they then come back to this form and edit their original post removing their ICQ# and leaving a short thank you to Matrix Games for the fantastic work they have done. I am sure given this communities history of mutual support, that this would be a viable method of distribution. Matrix games have done incredible work redeveloping SPWAW and then releasing it to the gaming community for free. I for one would love to do my part. Since I have a high bandwidth connection, I can probably upload several dozen patches a night without my ISP having a cow. Now that does not sound very impressive, but 20 50 or a 100 users doing this would sure get the ball rolling! Security Note: If you are concerned about distributing your personal ICQ number over the net here is an option. Start a new ICQ user with a new ICQ Number (Remember the service is free) request the patch, and once you have the patch revert to your previous ICQ number. Matrix!! Will this work for you??? ------------------ If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!
Post #: 1
- 8/26/2000 6:38:00 AM   
Keebler

ICQ# 3042554 Status: offline Come on people lets bring this comunity together!! [This message has been edited by Keebler (edited August 27, 2000).]

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 2
- 8/26/2000 6:55:00 AM   
jsaurman

I have been thinking of the same idea. We could all use one of the following programs, Napster, Gnutella, or iMesh to distribute the full version or patches. Anyone who needs the game or patch would just have to do a search and you would instantly see dozens of other players you could download it from. It would require no interaction from the host user but only those with a fast connection (cable modems,etc) would want to leave their computers in server mode like that. The only snag I can see is that to use it on Napster the file would have to be renamed as a MP3 to be downloaded then the user would need to rename it once it reached his machine. However Napster may be shut down soon by the courts so that may not even be an issue. Anyone have any comments on this plan???

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 3
- 8/26/2000 7:14:00 AM   
Leibstandarte

The ICQ solution sounds like a great idea to me. I have a cable modem so if some one at Matrix can e-mail me the patch I'll send it to as many as I can. In any event I want this patch and will do what ever I can to get it and get it to all who want it. Thanks Matrix and I'm sure you'll figure out something. ------------------ Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

Cavalry Trooper (8th US) and Grandson of a Leibstandarte Tanker.

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 4
- 8/26/2000 7:20:00 AM   
Tombstone

Me too. I don't have my ICQ# handy here at work, but when I get home I'm willing to trade it around and participate in whatever distribution is necessary. Tomo

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 5
- 8/26/2000 7:39:00 AM   
Graf Speer

Forgive Speer, but I actually wouldn't mind supporting the SPWAW team with a $10 spot for a copy of that CD . . . I kinda wish these guys might earn something for their 3.0 efforts albert ------------------ The Good Nazi

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 6
- 8/26/2000 9:38:00 AM   
Keebler

I’ve been contemplating doing something similar, but I don’t think Matrix is allowed to collect any money for SPWAW. I’m only guessing here but I think when Matrix arranged with The Learning Company (SSI) for the right to redistribute SP Matrix was precluded from collecting funds for SPWAW. What I’d like to see come of all this is a computer version of public TV. Once a year the company has an enternetathon, and collects money from supporters. Would be a neat concept. I sort of have a hate on for the current BIG companies that have been leading a trend towards dumbed down games. EA and Hasbro are not in my good books these days. Now if Matrix takes donations for future developments, I’ll mail off a money order in the morning!!

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 7
- 8/26/2000 9:41:00 AM   
Wild Bill

You guys are magnificent. What a gaming spirit we have here! David is working on just how we can get this to you. I'm sure he will read these posts and respond to them. I just wanted to say that however it is done, it is worth every effort with the quality of the gamers that participate in this forum! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 8
- 8/26/2000 10:31:00 AM   
KG Erwin

Keebler, you've mentioned a great possibility for how we can support Matrix' R&D efforts. Either we just start sending checks & money orders for however much we can contribute, or Matrix can give us a specific format in which we can do this (to avoid certain bookkeeping issues). It would be similar to the way Stephen King is offering his new book, except that payment is not expected, just considered in a different way. We gotta keep this company alive, and I'll do whatever I can to help out. As I'm writing, my download of WiR is almost complete. I'm off to the front! Later, guys. Glenn.

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 9
- 8/26/2000 1:58:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by Keebler: As a community of avid gamers why not share the responsibility of distributing the patch for this wonderful game. Here is the concept I suggest. Shared Computer Resource Distribution Network. Here is how it would work. People who want to get the patch leave a message in this thread with their ICQ number. Matrix then releases the game to a few games that then accept the responsibility to upload the file to at least two other gamers who have requested the patch. These people in turn accept the responsibility to upload the file to at least two other gamers that have requested the patch, and so on and so on.
Waaaayyyy toooo complicated !! Why not split the 30MB in some smaller files, which are distributed to the community? I have two times 10 MB webspace available, where I could upload the files. Matrix than only sets the appropiate links on their website, and everything is fine? Or isn't it? Is there any problem that I havn't thought about Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 10
- 8/26/2000 3:25:00 PM   
Keebler

ICQ, Napster, and Gnutella are better options, as most webspace usage is limited. With Shaw at home cable service for example, I can have up to 5 web spaces of 10 meg each, but I'm only allowed 200 meg per month (Total) access after that I'm billed per meg or my page is cut off by my ISP. At 30 meg per that means only 6.6 download a month. On the other hand My upload speed with ICQ has been consistently 45 to 50 Kbytes per sec. So I can upload a 30 Meg patch in about 15 min to a high bandwidth user. With the amount of traffic that this patch will generate it would not take very long before your ISP came calling. Now if someone has money flying out their rear-end and want to set up a T3 server all the power to them. I know the ICQ thing works as I’ve uploaded the full game three times. I set it up then went to bed. Over cable modem (Upload limited by ISP to 50kbytes/sec) to a second user also on cable took about 2 to 2.5 hours. To a 56k modem took much much longer!! Note if anyone is going to do this I recommend chopping up the full download into 20 meg chunks. That ways if a file gets corrupted, or the connection is broken you don’t loose all your time. ICQ does not support restarts. Napster does, but I have not tried that method yet.

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 11
- 8/26/2000 3:49:00 PM   
Schrubbery

Just how large is the 2.3=>3.0-patch? I think it would be preferable to first publish the patch, then the whole monolith. That way some sites would probably accept it, and afterwards the whole 3.0 could be released for those who didn't get the earlier version. Oh, and I know two sites which already have 3.0... hmm, how much would people be willing to pay for this piece of information?

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 12
- 8/26/2000 4:03:00 PM   
Keebler

Not official, but the number that has been kicking around is 30 Meg!!! ------------------ If you can't be HAPPY you shouldn't be anything at all!

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 13
- 8/26/2000 6:54:00 PM   
Arralen

Could it bee that you're a bit "trigger-happy" ? Maybe you should read exactly what I wrote, and think about it for some time before replying (Don't get this personally - it's just the vague impression that I have ) Originally posted by Keebler: ICQ, Napster, and Gnutella are better options, as most webspace usage is limited. Did I say "access limited webspace"? No, I didn't. I went and looked it up, and couldn't find anything about traffic restrictions. From that I would say it could be that the accounts (or at least the files) will be deleted after some GBs of download, but I consider this highly unlikely, at least with 2 sites of those I could use With Shaw at home cable service for example, I can have up to 5 web spaces of 10 meg each, but I'm only allowed 200 meg per month (Total) access after that I'm billed per meg or my page is cut off by my ISP. At 30 meg per that means only 6.6 download a month. On the other hand My upload speed with ICQ has been consistently 45 to 50 Kbytes per sec. So I can upload a 30 Meg patch in about 15 min to a high bandwidth user. But what you ask for is that people with 33.6/56k modems (remember, the later do 33.6 in upload, too!) first receive the patch, and than send it to at least 2 other persons, so they'll have to be online for at least 7 hours or more ! With the amount of traffic that this patch will generate it would not take very long before your ISP came calling. That risk I would take - after all, I would point them to their "Allgemeine Geschäftsbedingungen" and "Produktbeschreibung" and leave them alone to worry about their errors. Note if anyone is going to do this I recommend chopping up the full download into 20 meg chunks. That ways if a file gets corrupted, or the connection is broken you don’t loose all your time. ICQ does not support restarts. Napster does, but I have not tried that method yet. I'm speaking about the patch here . it's said to have about 30 megs; and if we chop it to .. let's say 5 MB chunks, and put them on different websites, you'll have no trouble resuming broken downloads with those progs And maybe I get myself some 100 megs free webspace within the next time - it could even upload the whole v3.0 than Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 14
- 8/26/2000 8:36:00 PM   
Keebler

If you can set up a web site for the patch to be downloaded from I'm there. I'll support any method of getting the patch to the gaming community. We need more passionate people like you to get involved. Matrix has done a wonderful job of redeveloping SP into the best turn based tactical war game I have ever played. Anything we can do to support our community, and Matrix Games is fine by me. These guys at Matrix deserve a F%#@’n medal! Distinguished service medal (Canadian) [This message has been edited by Keebler (edited August 26, 2000).]

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 15
- 8/27/2000 9:35:00 PM   
Vonbrown

Great Idea! ICQ:48975876
quote:

Originally posted by Keebler: ICQ# 3042554 Status: online, 26 Aug 13:00 PST Come on people lets bring this comunity together!! [This message has been edited by Keebler (edited August 26, 2000).]

(in reply to Keebler)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Possible distribution solution for Steel Panthers World at War 3.0 Patch. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI