Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Southern Steel scenario question?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Southern Steel scenario question? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Southern Steel scenario question? - 4/27/2007 8:26:30 PM   
Gray_Lensman

Why are some of the building choices greyed out in the City screen at the start of the Southern Steel scenario for the Union, especially "Camps"? Camps seem to be greyed out in every Union city at the start, and you only start with 3 over all.

example: Washington, building support = 9/12, and enough resources to build "anything", yet several are greyed out.

I did a search for this, so my apologies if it has been addressed elsewhere.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 4/27/2007 8:37:34 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Concerning Southern Steel... - 4/27/2007 8:37:16 PM   
Gil R.

Are you playing the Basic version? Some buildings, including camps, can't be built in that. (The manual says this somewhere.)

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 2
RE: Concerning Southern Steel... - 4/27/2007 8:51:50 PM   
Gray_Lensman

I just double checked and I am playing "advanced" version. I "exited" from the Southern Steel scenario back to the Scenario/option selection screen and "without changing any options", chose the Coming Fury scenario, again as the Union, and that scenario loaded up with Washington having all buildings able to be built, excepting plantations of course.

Going back to the Southern Steel Scenario, again "without changing any options", in Washington as Union, the following buildings are greyed out:
Iron Works, Barracks, Mfg. Center, School, University, Camp, Capitol, and of course Plantation.

I followed up with a test reload of the game and picked the Advanced option also, and had the same results...

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 3
RE: Concerning Southern Steel... - 4/28/2007 12:37:33 AM   
will b

This the first turn of the scenario right?

When I tried to recreate the situation you're describing the North only has 30 horses and 70 Labor in the first turn which isn't enough to build any of those buildings and that's why they're grayed out

< Message edited by will b -- 4/28/2007 7:21:32 AM >

Post #: 4
RE: Concerning Southern Steel... - 4/28/2007 2:09:05 AM   
cesteman

Correct Will b. There isn't much of anything for the first two turns. The best you can buy is one Infantry unit which doesn't help you much from a military standpoint. Your better off putting that money towards Horse farms, Mints, or factories as an example. Maybe someone else can shed light on how to start the campaign.
Christian

(in reply to will b)
Post #: 5
RE: Concerning Southern Steel... - 4/28/2007 6:51:40 AM   
Gray_Lensman

Sorry, I had it set to display projected resources for the next turn,  Big DUH...
No problem, ok... Obviously, not enough horses.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 6
RE: Southern Steel scenario question? - 4/28/2007 8:21:05 AM   
Twotribes

I already recommended several times that any scenario should start with each side having at LEAST as much stockpile as their production in a turn would be. My personal opinion is it should be higher than that. I edit the files when I play so, in my games it is fixed.

Post #: 7
RE: Southern Steel scenario question? - 4/28/2007 11:29:30 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

I already recommended several times that any scenario should start with each side having at LEAST as much stockpile as their production in a turn would be. My personal opinion is it should be higher than that. I edit the files when I play so, in my games it is fixed.

After giving this some rather serious thought, and twenty test startups, 10 as USA, and 10 as CSA, I have to agree with you on this one. It's a good idea, but it would be a "b*tch" to implement, because if you vary the power settings or the difficulty levels, or a combination of both, the projected next turn's production will vary substantially.

However, at least a compromise should be to set the starting levels to something approximately equivalent to a power setting of "normal" and difficulty setting of "1st Sergeant". Most players are not going to play "for long at least" at negative power levels or below first sergeant difficulty.

The way it is right now, the USA is ridiculously low, comparatively speaking, in the startup turn of the "Southern Steel" scenario, with "1st Sergeant" difficulty, and "Normal" power setting.

Maybe some other players will weigh in here on this issue.

edit: I'm probably going to mod this myself if the developers don't change it in the next patch...

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 4/28/2007 11:33:26 AM >

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 8
RE: Southern Steel scenario question? - 4/28/2007 8:56:35 PM   
Gray_Lensman

As a small note to the programmers...

While doing the above 20 sequential tests, I noted a rather large internal memory leak manifesting itself. Each time I reloaded a scenario it increased program usage by approximately 140Mb. I was using the <End Game> button within the game to go back to the setup screen instead of exiting back to Windows. Upon exiting to windows however, I'm glad to say, it freed up all its memory including the excess noted above.  Something to look at, but not critical, for a later patch perhaps.

Post #: 9
RE: Southern Steel scenario question? - 5/17/2007 2:55:31 PM   
ericbabe

Thanks for watching memory between games during the same session. It sounds like the problem is that it's allocating something that it doesn't need to be reallocating.

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Southern Steel scenario question? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI