Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 10:20:13 AM   
EagleMountainDK

Erik what screen resolutions can we use?

(in reply to Arctic Blast)
Post #: 31
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 9:32:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Delak,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Delak
Secondly can you commnet on the types of missions they have for example in X-Com we had the Terror Mission, UFO Recovery, and such.

I'm sorry I can't share the game with you any sooner than Thursday at midnight, we're bound by our agreements. As far as mission types, I've been doing UFO Recovery so far, but the others do exist as far as I know. There are definitely base attacks and terror missions, not sure what other types.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Delak)
Post #: 32
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 9:37:14 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Faenaris,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Faenaris
I'm afraid I have to burden you with another question, but it was something that made me wonder. At the official forums (which are a mess to be honest, at least, the English section is), I read a post that claimed that you couldn't build extra bases. Or, to be precise, you could build new bases, but they would be very limited (only hangars and defence systems). Surely, this statement is false?

I think that may be true actually. I was also wondering about this when I started playing - the manual makes it sound like your additional bases would be the same as the main base, but so far for me the available build options for my auxiliary bases have been hangars, energy, defenses and detection systems. I don't know how this works with base defense, since the manual says that any of your bases can be attacked. Another possibility is that I simply haven't accumulated enough personnel to expand the other bases beyond hangars yet. I'm honestly not sure - perhaps the developers can shed some light on this?

Right now, I'm using my main base to house my labs, workshops, living quarters and hangar for the transport craft. I have four additional bases with 3, 2, 2 and 1 hangar to hold more fighters and detection systems to expand my global reach, but the team itself seems to be stationed at the main original base. I don't know what happens if you lose that base either (yet), whether you'd be able to "move" to one of the others, etc. I think asking the developers for more info on this rather than me would be the best way to find out as I'm still getting up to speed.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Faenaris)
Post #: 33
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 9:39:49 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Owl208,

quote:

ORIGINAL: owl208
Thank you for asking that question. If I can add to it: Exactly how many bases can you have? It looked like 9 in the gameplay video. Is the base 1 level like XCOM or multi-level?

Looks like 9 to me as well, though I only have five so far. The bases are single level as far as the construction interface at least. I don't know if they'd be multi-level during an actual base defense/attack mission or not.

One interesting side note is that the manual mentions that if one of your bases is taken, if you recapture it within 10 days it will still be largely intact. After that the aliens have effectively changed too much for the base to be recoverable for your purposes. From that point you're basically destroying the alien base to rebuild your own.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to owl208)
Post #: 34
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 9:52:08 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cougar_DK
Erik what screen resolutions can we use?

I'm running it on a 1280x1024 LCD screen with no problems - it seemed to auto-detect that. The in-game graphics settings are for anti-aliasing, color depth and texture compression, rather than resolution, so I'm not sure what limits it might have in that regard. More detail than that would have to be answered by the developers, I'll see what I can find out.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 35
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/2/2007 10:50:56 PM   
EagleMountainDK

Great Erik, looking forward to this.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 3:14:32 AM   
Serian

Erik, thanks for the great impressions. I have a question I have not seen answered or asked yet; are there multi-level buildings in the game as there were in X-Com?

Also, would you say that the game is larger than X-Com, as in more to research, more to build, different terrain/building types, and aliens to defeat?

Lastly, how large will the download file be, how expansive is the manual, and is the manual from Matrix the same one that will be in the retail version?

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 37
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 3:22:42 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serian
Erik, thanks for the great impressions. I have a question I have not seen answered or asked yet; are there multi-level buildings in the game as there were in X-Com?

Yes, I've run into a couple of two level buildings on missions so far. They have elevators to go up and down.

quote:

Also, would you say that the game is larger than X-Com, as in more to research, more to build, different terrain/building types, and aliens to defeat?

My impression is that it is at least the same size with as much variety, but I'm not the best one to ask this question as I haven't yet had time to play all the way through.

quote:

Lastly, how large will the download file be, how expansive is the manual, and is the manual from Matrix the same one that will be in the retail version?

The download file is quite large, around 2GB in size (perhaps that answers your previous question to some degree too). The manual is around 44 pages and as far as I know it's exactly the same one that is in the US retail version.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Serian)
Post #: 38
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 4:13:34 AM   
evilferretvictim

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

The download file is quite large, around 2GB in size

Just a week or two ago somebody asked the same question and I was pretty sure one of you said the installer was 1GB... Are you sure you don't mean the required space is 2GB? That just seems like a massive size for a game like this~ If not, how much space does the game take up? Have you ran into any kind of new videos that tie into the story (besides intro) that would warrant the game being so large?

Post #: 39
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 4:39:02 AM   
Erik Rutins

I don't think we had the final gold installer more than a week ago, so I think that must have been based on an earlier version. The final one does weigh in at 2GB and I assume a lot of that comes down to the 3D art - it is indicative of a lot of content, but I haven't played through the entire game yet to be able to respond to the rest of your questions.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to evilferretvictim)
Post #: 40
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 10:48:17 AM   
Faenaris

Once again, thank you for your time, Mr. Rutins. Best customer service ever. 

Post #: 41
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 4:22:40 PM   
Erik Rutins

One additional comment on screen resolution. The default appears to be 1024x768. My main LCD/video card apparently rescaled extremely well and I thought it was running at native 1280 resolution. However, on my 1280x800 laptop I realized it was stretched. Changing the native resolution it turns out is very easy.

Once you get the game and install it, just go to the /data sub-folder and find a file called ufo-et.ini. Open this up in Notepad and look for two lines, "height=" and "width=". I changed these to "height=800" and "width=1280" and it looks perfect now.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Faenaris)
Post #: 42
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 4:45:26 PM   
LitFuel

Erik,

I've asked this a couple times on the offical UFO forum but the developers never come on to answer anything. Is there a morale system?..do squad members ever panic or go beserk?...That was always a fun part of X-Com.

Also I thought I saw in one fo the game play vids, what looked like their version of the Grey's...was it?

thanks for any answers.

Post #: 43
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 10:59:41 PM   
Delak

This was posted by Erik on the first page

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL:  sage
Erik, can you comment on whether Morale is in the tactical game?

Well, the soldiers each have a "Bravery" stat, but so far I haven't seen them panic.  I have seen them paralyzed with fear by a certain type of alien and that appears to be based on their bravery as far as how susceptible they are, but I can't say I've seen much beyond that yet.
Regards,
- Erik

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 44
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 11:02:48 PM   
Delak

quote:

Hi Delak,

quote:

Secondly can you commnet on the types of missions they have for example in X-Com we had the Terror Mission, UFO Recovery, and such.

I'm sorry I can't share the game with you any sooner than Thursday at midnight, we're bound by our agreements. As far as mission types, I've been doing UFO Recovery so far, but the others do exist as far as I know. There are definitely base attacks and terror missions, not sure what other types.

Well I had to ask.

I do have another question about the download. If I do download the game can it be installed on more then one computer? I just moved and my desktop is not setup yet all I have is my laptop. I am also going to be upgrading my pc in very near future and want to make sure when I do if I will be able to reinstall the game.

Also with the digital download will you be able to burn it to a cd for backup?

Thanks again for taking the time and answering our questions

Post #: 45
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/3/2007 11:09:35 PM   
sage

Looking forward to seeing how this looks at 1920x1200.

quote:

One additional comment on screen resolution. The default appears to be 1024x768. My main LCD/video card apparently rescaled extremely well and I thought it was running at native 1280 resolution. However, on my 1280x800 laptop I realized it was stretched. Changing the native resolution it turns out is very easy.

Once you get the game and install it, just go to the /data sub-folder and find a file called ufo-et.ini. Open this up in Notepad and look for two lines, "height=" and "width=". I changed these to "height=800" and "width=1280" and it looks perfect now.

Regards,

- Erik

Post #: 46
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 2:04:58 AM   
Serian

Erik,

Can you zoom in and out of the battlefield while playing or is it always a fixed view? Going along with this can the camera be rotated?

What are your impressions of the unit animation? How about the music/sound effects?

Can the intro movie be disabled?

Thanks Again!

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 47
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 3:06:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

Hi LitFuel,

quote:

ORIGINAL: LitFuel
I've asked this a couple times on the offical UFO forum but the developers never come on to answer anything. Is there a morale system?..do squad members ever panic or go beserk?...That was always a fun part of X-Com.
Also I thought I saw in one fo the game play vids, what looked like their version of the Grey's...was it?

Unfortunately, with all the release preparations I haven't had a chance to fire it up again today and get any further. So far, I've only seen team members succumb to alien fear paralysis, I haven't seen them panic or go berserk. The paralysis removes all their APs and is certainly not a good thing, but I haven't seen a full range of morale effects yet so I'm not sure if that system is in there or not.

I can say that the AI took good advantage of me earlier this week with the paralysis though. I had a team of two doing some bounding overwatch. The forward team member was paralyzed, but it went right past that one and munched the rear soldier, then re-paralysed the lead one and munched him too.

I have not seen greys/sectoids yet, but I really don't think I'm very far into the game, based on my past experience with X-Com. I've seen five types of aliens so far and I fully expect to see more.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to LitFuel)
Post #: 48
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 3:08:06 AM   
Erik Rutins

Delak,

quote:

I do have another question about the download. If I do download the game can it be installed on more then one computer? I just moved and my desktop is not setup yet all I have is my laptop. I am also going to be upgrading my pc in very near future and want to make sure when I do if I will be able to reinstall the game.

Yes, no problem. Just make sure you keep a backup of the install file and your serial number and you'll be fine.

quote:

Also with the digital download will you be able to burn it to a cd for backup?

Yes, in fact we STRONGLY encourage that if you are not also ordering the boxed copy.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Delak)
Post #: 49
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 3:09:47 AM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Serian
Can you zoom in and out of the battlefield while playing or is it always a fixed view? Going along with this can the camera be rotated?

It's a fixed view as far as I can see, basically 3D isometric.

quote:

What are your impressions of the unit animation? How about the music/sound effects?

I like the animations and the music and sounds, personally.

quote:

Can the intro movie be disabled?

Good question, it's very easy to skip so I haven't tried yet, but I'd guess just deleting the movie file would do it.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Serian)
Post #: 50
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 7:04:55 AM   
Texashawk

Hello Erik,

Thanks for your feedback on this game - what really strikes me (and is quite refreshing, actually) is your honesty regarding your comments. If you don't know something, you say it, and if something's not there (even if maybe it is and you just haven't found it yet) you admit it. You have no idea how impressed I am and I have gone from being on the fence to ordering the DD essentially just to support a company who showcases such ethics.

Thanks again!!

Post #: 51
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 1:12:56 PM   
DrAtomic

quote:

ORIGINAL: Texashawk

Hello Erik,

Thanks for your feedback on this game - what really strikes me (and is quite refreshing, actually) is your honesty regarding your comments. If you don't know something, you say it, and if something's not there (even if maybe it is and you just haven't found it yet) you admit it. You have no idea how impressed I am and I have gone from being on the fence to ordering the DD essentially just to support a company who showcases such ethics.

Thanks again!!

I second that. I just registered for Titans of Steel, found this gem, hit up some reviews/previews, was disappointed, read this thread to realize the amount of errors in the reviews/previews and will def. be buying the digital download this weekend.

(in reply to Texashawk)
Post #: 52
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 8:02:40 PM   
sage

It looks good and runs great at 19x12 with 6x oversampling.

quote:

ORIGINAL: sage

Looking forward to seeing how this looks at 1920x1200.

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 53
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 8:17:00 PM   
Fallschirmjager

Is the ammo bug still there?
In the original X-Com whenever you used any ammo out of a clip and exited the mission you would lose ALL the ammo from the clip
Has that been fixed?

Also, can you sell salvaged alien artifacts you collect on your missions?
That was the main way to make money in the original game

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 54
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 11:48:58 PM   
Village Idiot

Yes you can sell Alien Artifacts, though only for a very small fraction of the price.

You have to research it first in order to sell for its full value.

And note, you don't start off with an Interigation Room. Learned it the hard way when I went around capturing all aliens in a mission :(

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 55
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/4/2007 11:53:04 PM   
SlapBone

I'm confused.  If soldiers can't die, why is there a "Units Lost" section of the Mission recap screen?  The screenshot in the manual even has units listed there.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 56
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/5/2007 12:01:34 AM   
Village Idiot

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

I'm confused.  If soldiers can't die, why is there a "Units Lost" section of the Mission recap screen?  The screenshot in the manual even has units listed there.

If either all your units die in a mission, or you select "Abort Mission", any soldiers left behind will die.

So the whole "Unit Doesn't Die" thing is just so that the player won't get sucked into the whole Save/Lord abuse like in the original X-COM. As long as you beat the mission, all you lose is the time that it takes for your soldier(s) to recover.

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 57
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/5/2007 1:45:54 AM   
sage

quote:

So the whole "Unit Doesn't Die" thing is just so that the player won't get sucked into the whole Save/Lord abuse like in the original X-COM.

Which I never did, which is why this 'feature' irritates me so much. :=(

(in reply to Village Idiot)
Post #: 58
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/17/2007 7:53:59 AM   
GalacticOrigins

quote:

ORIGINAL: sage

quote:

So the whole "Unit Doesn't Die" thing is just so that the player won't get sucked into the whole Save/Lord abuse like in the original X-COM.

Which I never did, which is why this 'feature' irritates me so much. :=(

Perhaps, but 45 days is a LONG time

(in reply to sage)
Post #: 59
RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments - 5/17/2007 6:04:13 PM   
Temple

quote:

ORIGINAL: SlapBone

I'm confused. If soldiers can't die, why is there a "Units Lost" section of the Mission recap screen? The screenshot in the manual even has units listed there.

If your tanker dies he will show up on this list. Mine does all the time.

(in reply to SlapBone)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Discontinued Games] >> UFO: Extraterrestrials >> RE: UFO Rumor Control: Some Gameplay Comments Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI