Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Starting a PBEM

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Starting a PBEM Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Starting a PBEM - 5/2/2007 9:03:17 PM   
dwwindsor

I am about to start a PBEM for my first time as the Japanese player. I know that whatever I set for Realism Options remains set for the duration of the game.

What about Game Options and Preferences? Are those also locked or can they be changed by either player at anytime during the course of the game?
Post #: 1
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/2/2007 9:34:38 PM   
dwwindsor

Never mind.  Pays to pay attention to the manual sometimes.

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 2
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/2/2007 9:38:59 PM   
Knavey

The most important one to remember is Auto Sub Ops.  If you choose Auto, you will forever be chasing your subs down because it will send them out continuously.  I suggest that you turn them off because you can't do it mid game.

< Message edited by Knavey -- 5/2/2007 9:40:25 PM >

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 3
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/3/2007 8:50:01 AM   
jwilkerson

Well if your opponent is more experienced maybe he can help. But "standard" (for the players who post on this forum) settings include

Both sub doctrines off
Computer running of subs off
auto base building and replacements off

fog of war: ON
Weather: ON

Damage Control ON

Reports ON
Animations ON
Summaries ON

In a PBEM I would set the AI level to "Historical". In theory it should not matter, but you don't want an imbalance here.

Variable reinforcements, I don't know what the "standard" is here .. I use the highest degree of variability because creates more FOW.

Now "historical start" is a variable, some play with it on and some off.

Most play with Dec 7 Surprise on, but Allied players might want to include this in the negotiations regarding house rules, so this is not a given.

And some players, whether Allied or Japanese like the PDU on, but this is probably included in the house rules negotiation as well.

And finally most players (in this forum) like 1-day turns . but a few swear by the 2-day turns, so depending on your opponent this one might require some discussion.

But regardless, what matters is how the Japanese player sets up the settings. The settings on the Allied player's machine do not matter. As this is your first game, I would suggest a detailed clarification with your opponent before starting, you both have a lot to lose if the settings are not what you wanted. Some folks even send screen shots of the proposed switch settings before starting the game, just to be sure.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 4
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/3/2007 12:19:04 PM   
Yamato hugger

If this is your first pbem game, I would suggest you play allies. If you have played allied a few times in pbem made, then have fun. But this game isnt even close to an AI game against a real player.

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/3/2007 10:27:06 PM   
dwwindsor

I appreciate the responses, thank you.

Knavey makes an excellent point.  Way back when this thing first came out I couldn’t understand why all my subs where racing from all point to one singularity.  I would recommend always disabling auto sub ops vs a human or the AI.

jwilkerson  has written a nice little compendium for all new to PBEM players.  Someone should sticky that someplace.

Yamato hugger, too late but I do not think taking the Japanese side first time out in a PBEM is a bad idea, as long as you and your opponent work out all reasonable expectations beforehand.  It is not that daunting.  With the exception of industry manipulation the mechanics are the same.  Basically you move things from one location to another to do something.

Just to close this out kudos to String for his Opponents Wanted posting.  He was very clear, detailed yet concise in explaining what house rules he wanted and what sort of gaming experience he was looking for.  That is the way to start a long enduring game.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 6
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/3/2007 11:16:33 PM   
Yamato hugger

Well keep in mind, 1 mistake as the Jap player can be devastating. Screw up your production and there is no going back. Lose most of the oil centers to demolition right off and you wont recover. Losing your carriers in Feb 42. Any numbers of other mishaps that can happen. A human player isnt the pushover the AI is. He will do things you wont even think COULD be done.

< Message edited by Yamato hugger -- 5/3/2007 11:18:22 PM >

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 7
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/3/2007 11:25:13 PM   
dwwindsor

Really?  No similarity between a human player and the AI?  Now who would have imagined that?

Unless my opponent is cheating he still can only do what is within the realm of possibility.  Bad die rolls can strike anyone, at anytime, anywhere.  Yes you can screw up production but a conservative approach prevents that. 

Just exactly how does a Japanese player lose all of their carriers in Feb of 42?  That would take an amazing amount of indifference to risk.

And, if all of your dire warnings do come to pass, so what?  Shake hands and ask for a rematch.  This still is just a game.

Post #: 8
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/4/2007 6:01:03 AM   
Yamato hugger

quote:

ORIGINAL: dwwindsor

Really? No similarity between a human player and the AI? Now who would have imagined that?

Sarcasism isnt necessary. You dont want to listen to the voice of experience, then fine, dont. I dont care. The learning curve is much more forgiving as the allies than as the Japs.

quote:

Unless my opponent is cheating he still can only do what is within the realm of possibility. Bad die rolls can strike anyone, at anytime, anywhere. Yes you can screw up production but a conservative approach prevents that.

No way to cheat in a computer game unless you agree on house rules and the other guy violates them. Being conservative on the production is not a good thing btw.

quote:

Just exactly how does a Japanese player lose all of their carriers in Feb of 42? That would take an amazing amount of indifference to risk.

Not really. Takes an amazing amount of indifference on the ALLIES to risk actually. I have done it as the allies 3 or 4 times now (one of them in Jan 42). It really isnt hard to take down the Jap fleet with only 4 carriers. Im willing to lose 4 if I can take 3 or more with me, and each time the most I lost was 2 and in one of them I didnt lose any. Take the TBDs off the carriers and put an extra F4F or SBD squadron on. Makes all the difference in the world.

quote:

And, if all of your dire warnings do come to pass, so what? Shake hands and ask for a rematch. This still is just a game.

Some of us dont like to start a game, start over after 2 or 3 months, start over 2 or 3 months later again. Been there, done that. I just suggested you try the first few games as the allies. You dont want to listen, fine. No skin off my ass. Have a nice day.

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 9
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/5/2007 3:44:28 AM   
dwwindsor

The last thing this board needs is a contentious presence. I mistook what I thought was a condescending tone. I see now what the message was you were trying to deliver. My response bothered you and for that I apologize.

String already accepted my offer knowing full well my experience and it would be unsporting of me to pull out now.

I trust this puts our unpleasantness behind us.

Post #: 10
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/5/2007 5:13:58 AM   
jwilkerson

Well if your opponent is String he is very experienced player and long time presence on the forum, so you're in "good hands" nothing to worry about!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 11
RE: Starting a PBEM - 5/5/2007 8:33:51 AM   
String

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwilkerson

Well if your opponent is String he is very experienced player and long time presence on the forum, so you're in "good hands" nothing to worry about!

Aww, now you're making me blush

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Starting a PBEM Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI