Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 5/10/2006 10:55:01 PM   
Karlis Rutins

Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August!

The Guns of August are starting to rumble and the earth is starting to tremble. What does it all mean to you? The guns are getting louder and closer and now we need a strong Beta Team of volunteers to do some reconnaissance and probing of the front lines to check for strong points and weaknesses. You can now be a part of this exclusive Beta Team if you respond quickly and are selected based on your qualifications and interest in GoA!

If you believe that you have the time and skills to complete your reconnaissance mission of the Guns of August, please email the following information to me ASAP:

*Name
*Your Matrix Forum Name
*Phone Number
*Your address
*Previous Testing Experience?
*Any comments on specific qualifications or reasons for interest in testing the Guns of August?
*Any unique qualifications that would make you an exceptional candidate for the Beta Test Team?
*Your current PC Specs - CPU, Memory, Hard Drive, Video Card, Sound Card, Operating System?

In return, I will send you a Non Disclosure Agreement (NDA) that you must complete, sign and return to me ASAP. Just follow the instructions on the bottom of page 2. When I receive the NDA, you will be notified and allowed to participate on the GoA Beta Test Team.

But, be sure that you are able, ready, and willing to join the Beta Test Team in May, 2006 and stay with it for more than a few weeks.

Regards,

Karlis

Karlisr@matrixgames.com

< Message edited by Karlis Rutins -- 5/10/2006 10:58:20 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 5/11/2006 12:00:20 AM   
mlees

Wow! From "No News" to "In Your Face" news!

Coolness.

(Just a couple short months ago, this title seemed to be dead in the water... from the perspective of an outsider...)

(in reply to Karlis Rutins)
Post #: 2
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 5/12/2006 10:01:25 AM   
Grand_Armee

Trust me...them boys at matrix is always busy.

(in reply to mlees)
Post #: 3
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 8/28/2006 11:27:29 PM   
tsaxon

I'm teaching an undergraduate course on the First World War this fall (2006). Is there any schedule for GOA's appearance? I've used Civ III in a World Civ course and would love to have the chance to introduce my students to GOA before the class ends.

I can be contacted at tsaxon@liberty.edu. Thanks for the help.

(in reply to Karlis Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 8/29/2006 6:32:46 AM   
TexHorns

Why not introduce them to the board game by Avalon Hill from which this games derives it's name?

I think a table top map with counters would be a better educational tool than the computer for this type of thing. Let groups of students act as the government's and generals of each countries armies and see if they can alter history. Let them see the entire map displayed in front of them on a table just like the army staffs of old did. Let them manually manipulate the counters over the map and actually roll the dice. A much fuller experience than taking turns sitting at a computer.

(in reply to tsaxon)
Post #: 5
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 8/29/2006 7:41:57 PM   
tsaxon

Thanks for the good advice. I have the Avalon Hill game and several others that I'm using with the class and our Military History gaming group this fall. The reason I'm interested in seeing the game is that I can reserve a computer lab and have the class play the game throughout the semester as a class requirement. Everyone participates, and I've learned that some quiet students turn out to have skills and knowledge that they don't share with the class in a traditional classroom setting. The class that played Civ III also learned that doing is harder than just learning, which is important in any military history course where it is always easy to criticize this or that leader without actually having to "march a mile in their boots."

Thanks again for the advice.

Tim Saxon

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 6
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 8/30/2006 5:44:30 AM   
TexHorns

Tim,

Actually I'm very jealous of you. I have often dreamed of teaching history in a junior high/high school and using my vast collection of war and strategy games as teaching tools. Wargames taught me so much about geography, leaders, armies, countries and most importantly how to think strategically, tactically and operationally. There is so much potential in these games to teach kids.

Sadly getting a teaching certificate would require too much time back in college that my family can't afford if they want to eat. I actually have a Master's degree, but since it is in Social Work, I don't have the credit hours in the basics of English, math or Science, so I would have to take those courses in order to get a certificate. Anyway that's my sob story. Good luck with using GOA for your class.

Tom the Texas-Ex.

(in reply to tsaxon)
Post #: 7
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 4/8/2007 12:44:32 AM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexHorns

Why not introduce them to the board game by Avalon Hill from which this games derives it's name?

As a former owner and player of the game the AH version leaves a lot to be desired. In fact it sorta sucks.

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 8
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 5/5/2007 11:13:52 AM   
Bluestew0

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chris Trog

As a former owner and player of the game the AH version leaves a lot to be desired. In fact it sorta sucks.

As a current owner and former player of the AH version, I concur. It does sorta suck, however it continues to sell well on Ebay. Maybe I'll break down and sell my copy one day. :)

Police toilets stolen! Officers have nothing to go on.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 9
RE: Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! - 5/24/2007 5:48:40 PM   
USSLockwood

quote:

ORIGINAL: TexHorns

I think a table top map with counters would be a better educational tool than the computer for this type of thing. Let groups of students act as the government's and generals of each countries armies and see if they can alter history. Let them see the entire map displayed in front of them on a table just like the army staffs of old did. Let them manually manipulate the counters over the map and actually roll the dice. A much fuller experience than taking turns sitting at a computer.

Actually, both games derive thier names from the Barbara Tuchman book, "Guns of August".

Dave
San Diego
Home of the World's Busiest Radar Approach Control

(in reply to TexHorns)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> Guns of August 1914 - 1918 >> Volunteers needed to face the Guns of August! Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI