Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Stonewall's Footsteps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Stonewall's Footsteps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Stonewall's Footsteps - 5/4/2007 5:16:20 PM   
shenandoah

An article in the local paper Daily News Record in Harrisonburg, VA. Personally, I am not much into marching. I would rather do all that on the computer. Historically, he should be nearing my house at the end of the month(near Strasburg where Stonewall flanked Commissary Banks). Of course, the roads are all paved and he doesn't have to do any fighting! So he should make great time. Maybe I will go down to Route 11 when he passes and give him some hardtake, bacon and cornbread. Or maybe green corn and some apples(not those fancy shiny apples either.) This is what they call hardcore. There are a lot of those guys around here.

PORT REPUBLIC — U.S. Army Lt. Col. D. Jonathan White talks the Civil War talk.

Now, White, of Waynesboro, is walking the walk.

On Thursday, White embarked on a trek of 400 miles, following the path of Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson during the Shenandoah Valley campaign of 1862.

The walk fulfills a personal goal as he ends a 22-year Army career this summer. But White, a Green Beret, is also using the occasion to raise awareness about the loss of Civil War battlefields in the region.

Jackson’s Schedule

A rifle over his left shoulder and knapsack on his back, White walked through Port Republic in his Confederate living history uniform. He headed for Brown’s Gap in the Blue Ridge Mountains in the Shenandoah National Park.

White, 43, plans to follow a schedule set by the Stonewall Brigade, which was under Jackson’s command.

White picked up the campaign’s trail from May 3, 1862, with his walk into Brown’s Gap.

The trip will take him across the length of the Valley twice, including Harrisonburg, and as far north as Harpers Ferry, W.Va.

He will finish at Port Republic on June 9.

Jackson fought five battles in about as many weeks, inflicting a series of defeats on Union forces in the Valley during the spring of 1862.

Jackson’s campaign, still considered by some a military model, diverted Union troops away from a major effort to capture Richmond, the Confederate capital.

Jackson’s movements exploited the topography that White plans to revisit.

For the trip, White has packed a canvas blanket boiled in linseed oil to help keep the rain off when his schedule calls for camping along the route.

Susan, his wife, will deliver some food. "I expect to lose some weight on this trip," he said.

Native Virginian

Susan dropped her husband off at Port Republic on Thursday.

"He’s talked about this forever," she said.

Susan described her husband, a native of Roanoke, as a man bound by duty. "It’s his way to honor those who defended Virginia," she said of the walk. "He is a son of Virginia."

Her husband’s interest in the Civil War developed as he grew up in Waynesboro.

"It’s everywhere in the Valley," he said of the reminders of the conflict.

Military Service

White started his college career at the University of Alabama as a cadet in the Army ROTC program. He finished his undergraduate work in Russian and East European studies at George Washington University to be closer to Washington, D.C.

After graduation, White began his commitment to the Army. From 1985 to 1988, he was part of the 101st Airborne Division. He joined the 5th Special Forces Group in 1989.

He found himself in Iraq in 1991 and 1996, and again in the Middle East in 2003.

For the past two years, White has been an instructor at the British Joint Services Command and Staff College, about an hour west of London.

Subjects he has taught include military history, which includes the American Civil War.

Saving Civil War Sites

Battlefield preservation is important to the study of the 1862 campaign, White said.

But inevitable growth and development, he said, are encroaching on Civil War battlefields that help tell the campaign’s story.

"I just want the historic nature of the land to be factored into the calculations of development in the Valley," he said.

In the spirit of his walk, White wants people to donate money for preservation to the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation based at New Market.

The foundation’s Web site is at www.shenandoahatwar.org. White has a link to the site on his Web page at www.walkthevalleycampaign.com.

"I want people in the Valley to realize that historic land is going away," he said.

Contact Jeff Mellott at 574-6290 or jmellott@dnronline.com
Post #: 1
RE: Stonewall's Footsteps - 5/5/2007 12:47:05 AM   
cesteman

Great reading. I think stuff like this is one reason why we need to have for sub-forum in FoF for off topic stuff like this that isn't game related.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 2
RE: Stonewall's Footsteps - 5/6/2007 12:57:25 AM   
Odium

Thank you for this.

(in reply to shenandoah)
Post #: 3
RE: Stonewall's Footsteps - 5/23/2007 2:09:51 AM   
shenandoah

This is the latest update on the guy marching around here in Shenandoah Valley. I first thought he was hardcore but after reading this article, sometimes his wife will pick him up and take him home to sleep in his own bed, shower and food. Around here his type of living historian would be called a farb (far be it from authentic). Someone known as a hardcore would stay in the field the whole time. But he should get some credit for the 400 mile march.

Man on trek stops in New Market-By Preston Knight (Daily Staff Writer)

NEW MARKET — U.S. Army Lt. Col. Jonathan White's boots weren't made for walking on pavement, but that's just what they'll keep doing.

White is about halfway through his mission to retrace the steps of Confederate Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson during his 1862 campaign, which means 400 miles in 35 days through the Shenandoah Valley. The venture started May 3 in Port Republic, south of Harrisonburg, and will end there on June 9, in time for that battle's 145th anniversary. Jackson's march is notable for its length and fast pace, White said.

The daily mileage, the nights sleeping in woods or churches and the occasional pain — White's Civil War-era boots don't get along with concrete, therefore his feet sometimes suffer — make repeating the trek worth it, he said, because preservation of the valley's battlefields is his cause.

"I'd like to see the historic nature of land taken into account when there's development," said White, 43, of Waynesboro. "Once you develop it ... it's gone."

He advises people to talk to their respective political leaders about battlefield preservation and consider donating to the Shenandoah Valley Battlefields Foundation, which buys land or purchases easements to prevent development.

"To have someone walk Jackson's campaign out is not simple," foundation Executive Director Howard Kittell said. "It really is quite phenomenal. We're just thrilled he's willing to bring awareness and serve his time to help us."

Certainly, times are much different for White's version of Jackson's valley campaign. On days that there is no walking — Jackson didn't walk on Sundays and there was a national day of prayer honored during the campaign — White, who has been in the Army for 22 years, can take care of matters for his job as a teacher at the Joint Services Command and Staff College in England.

White plans to finish the school year, retire from the military and then attend graduate school in Alabama.

On some nights during the trip, his wife picks him up and he goes home to sleep. White then returns to the spot where he left the next day.

"My wife says she doesn't understand it," he said, "but she accepts it."

White's military background — he's in Special Forces — helps him find the physical and mental strength needed to complete such a project. He will need that experience most on May 31, when Jackson marched 31 miles from Harpers Ferry, W.Va., to around Middletown.

"I'm not sure how I'm going to do that," White said.

The next day, he has another 21 miles to cover.

"It's amazing what being chased will do for you," White said.

That's the best way to portray Jackson's campaign, he said. White compares it to a running back in football who escapes the arms of would-be tacklers — Jackson had to be elusive as Union soldiers converged from multiple directions. Jackson won several minor battles en route to his success in drawing Union troops away from Richmond and giving the Confederates new hope.

New Market was the turning point, White said. "The Confederate commander said do something dramatic and fast," he said. "[Jackson] got that word here."

White visited the historic Lee-Jackson building, which was a hotel and restaurant during the Civil War, in his visit passing through town Monday. He was coming from Mauzy and heading toward the mountains in Page County. White will be walking toward Front Royal today and will reach Winchester on Thursday.

Jackson's rule was to walk 50 minutes every hour. White is thankful for that. He'll be more appreciative, however, if people understand the importance behind his walk.

"The authenticity of it [is effective]," White said. "When I walk through town, it means Jackson's army was here on that day 145 years ago. It brings that history to life.

"I want to help preserve the land while it's available to be preserved."

To track White's progress, visit www.walkthevalleycampaign.com.

R Contact Preston Knight at pknight@nvdaily.com

(in reply to Odium)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Stonewall's Footsteps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI