Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WPO book from Naval Institute Press

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> WPO book from Naval Institute Press Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 5/13/2007 8:48:00 AM   
bradfordkay

Has anyone else found Edward S Miller's "War Plan Orange" from the Naval Institute Press? It's a study of the development of the strategy for a Pacific Ocean war from the Spanish American War through WW2.

I'm about a third of the way through it and am finding it fascinating, though dry...

fair winds,
Brad
Post #: 1
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 5/13/2007 2:09:43 PM   
dwwindsor

Did you have any problems finding a copy? What sources did he use?

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 2
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 5/13/2007 3:55:16 PM   
jwilkerson

Primary sources are documents from the multitudinous "war planning" committees and departments that existing in the 40+ years covered by the document. Mostly plans and memos. Secondary sources include bios of the major players involved in planning.

Focus is definitely on the US side, thesis is that planning slooowly evolved from a non-workable "Thrusters" approach, which called for a rapid offensive to "save" the PI garrison, into a more methodical "Cautionary" approach which recognized that the offensive would take years to play out, primarily due to logistical considerations. Miller also compares the actual war to the pre-war planning and concludes that events followed the final versions of the plan pretty well.

This is currently the book on US planning to fight in the Pacific prior to WWII.

===

For a glimpse at the Japanese side, see Evans and Peattie's Kaigun.

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to dwwindsor)
Post #: 3
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 5/14/2007 7:50:56 PM   
engineer

Ditto JW's comments.  One of the interesting bits that Miller gets into is even considering class rank at Annapolis versus the quality of the planning that the various staff officers did during their tours of duty. 

I got my copy 20 years ago direct from USNI when I was a member.  It's in print at Amazon and CAIMAN_COM has a new copy that undercuts Amazon by a few bucks.  I've bought from CAIMAN_COM before and they did a good job.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1591145007/ref=sr_1_olp_1/002-9831532-6313647?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1179161234&sr=8-1

< Message edited by engineer -- 5/14/2007 9:54:24 PM >

(in reply to jwilkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 5/27/2007 8:16:01 PM   
Desertmole

I got about a third of the way through but died of thirst.  Very dry.  On the other hand Kaigun by Peattie is an excellent read on Japanese naval strategy and much better written.  It is also available from US Naval Institute.  Another book by Peattie is Sunburst, which is a book on the development of the Japanese naval air service from the beginning to 1941. 

I only wish I had you, the gentlemen of the pen, exposed for once to a smart skirmishing fire...

(in reply to engineer)
Post #: 5
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 6/12/2007 6:26:53 AM   
waynec

another fun read is 1931 THE GREAT PACIFIC WAR by hector c. bywater. it's a hypothetical written in 1925. think i found mine on amazon.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by waynec -- 6/12/2007 6:30:19 AM >

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

Post #: 6
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 6/16/2007 9:58:19 AM   
bradfordkay

Wayne, I think that there were references to that novel in WPO. Either that, or I read said references somewhere else very recently. Thanks for posting the title information, I'll check for it as well.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 7
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 6/17/2007 5:14:14 AM   
waynec

am currently reading FROM MAHAN TO PEARL HARBOR by Sadao Asada. starts after ww1 with the washing naval treaties. a bit dry unless you are interested in the era but it does show how the japanese navy took mahan to the extremes and thus expalins some of the many stupid decisions made by the japanese from 1931 to 1945.

Attachment (1)

If the little things annoy you, maybe that's because the big things are going well.

Post #: 8
RE: WPO book from Naval Institute Press - 6/17/2007 7:25:57 AM   
jwilkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: waynec

am currently reading FROM MAHAN TO PEARL HARBOR by Sadao Asada. starts after ww1 with the washing naval treaties. a bit dry unless you are interested in the era but it does show how the japanese navy took mahan to the extremes and thus expalins some of the many stupid decisions made by the japanese from 1931 to 1945.

This one has been on my "gotta get it" list for some time ... so it doesn't cover the background around the first treaty (1921-22) ??? Also it just covers the "stupid" decisions !? Wow! Pretty darn selective of it, eh!!

AE Project Lead
New Game Project Lead

(in reply to waynec)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> WPO book from Naval Institute Press Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI