Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Generals not matching their Bios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Generals not matching their Bios Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Generals not matching their Bios - 5/14/2007 3:58:07 AM   
Diggypiggy

Im playing a new coming fury game with the latest patch as the Union and when I press the bio button for any general I get another generals bio, has anyone else noticed this? The bios for the LUs however seem to work just fine.

Post #: 1
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/14/2007 4:13:02 AM   
Erik Rutins

Which version of Coming Fury? Could you post a save file?

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 2
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/14/2007 5:54:43 AM   
blueduck

I have noticed it still happening in Coming Fury with random stats for generals and random start dates turned on. I have upgraded to version "d". Sorry I thru out my save games when I started Southern Steel.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 1:55:05 AM   
Diggypiggy

I would but Im a moron and don't know how to post a save game file here

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 4
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 1:58:58 AM   
Gil R.

Zip together the appropriate .sve and .rep save file(s) or autosave file(s) and when posting a response on this thread click on the "Click here to upload!" link.

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 5
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 2:00:48 AM   
Gil R.

Diggypiggy, are you definitely using the 'd' version of this patch, or an earlier one? That's key info.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 6
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 2:37:51 AM   
Diggypiggy

I think so, my .exe file is dated 5/5/2007 and is 4,463kb, is that the right one?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 7
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 2:44:04 AM   
Diggypiggy

Her is the savegame, if Im doing this correctly that is.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 8
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 6:02:44 AM   
Klahn

Just to note, I'm getting the same thing. I'm definitely playing "d" version of the beta patch installed over a clean game install. I'm playing the historical version of "coming fury." (By historical, I mean the one that is marked "balanced.") I've modified the states file to place the unowned rivers into states with the exception of the potomic.

I am playing union with the standard number of generals, hidden stats, random stats, random start dates. Other non-standard options from the "advanced" set include no time limit, and total victory.

edit: added my save files

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Ryvan -- 5/15/2007 6:08:47 AM >

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 9
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 7:21:03 AM   
Gil R.

I ran Diggypiggy's save files, and did indeed see generals with the wrong bios. But I've been unable to duplicate this myself, despite several attempts. Is there anything that you guys did that might have caused this? Ryvan's modding the states files doesn't strike me as relevant (of course, I'm not the programmer), but perhaps some other modding might have done it.

Is anyone else seeing this?

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 10
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/15/2007 8:17:01 AM   
Klahn

I haven't done any other modding to my knowledge. I've changed some unit flags. I've used the new general promotion system once. I've renamed a few containers. I can't think of anything else I've done though.

edit: I've turned off music.... I'm trying to think of anything I've touched that isn't standard. I know I'm listing stuff that is very unlikely to be related, but who knows?

< Message edited by Ryvan -- 5/15/2007 8:24:02 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 11
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 12:21:34 AM   
Diggypiggy

I haven't done any modding at all. I'm wondering though, will I have to uninstall and reinstall to get rid of this?

< Message edited by Diggypiggy -- 5/16/2007 12:24:55 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 12
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 1:14:59 AM   
Gil R.

No need to reinstall the game. If there's a bug, we'll find it. It would be nice to get more reports, which might help narrow down which options would be causing this.

Is anyone else out there using any randomized generals options, and seeing this?

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 13
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 2:17:54 AM   
cesteman

so a general that has "BIO" next to his name means one has been added? I guess I'm just slow<g>

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 14
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 3:07:06 AM   
Gil R.

Well, it could mean that he's bionic.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 15
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 3:46:20 AM   
Klahn

Or maybe he's biological as opposed to the robots that the Union developed toward the end of the war?

Seriously though, yes. It means he has a biography added. If you click on such a general's name it should display a short biography.

(in reply to cesteman)
Post #: 16
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 4:13:48 AM   
Gil R.

Key question. When this problem occurs, is it evident in the very first turn? Also, does it hit all generals?

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 17
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/16/2007 6:10:39 AM   
Klahn

I can't be certain whether it was happening from the beginning, but I don't believe it was. All of my generals that have BIOs are displaying the wrong ones.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 18
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 1:29:12 AM   
Diggypiggy

Ok I experimented a little and found the following: I started a new game as the South (coming fury the one that says balanced but isn't, more generals) found that all bios at the start were correct. I then started another game as the Union all options and scenario the same and found that all the bios were incorrect. Hope this helps.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 19
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 2:59:49 AM   
Gil R.

We're still trying to figure out what's happening. One question comes to mind: when you started the new game, had you just loaded FOF, or did you simply go from one game you were playing back to the menu and start a new game? If the latter, maybe some data didn't get expunged, and messed things up.

Eric and I can think of no reason why this would be happening only with one of the July scenarios. Would you mind starting a game in November and playing a bunch of turns to see if it happens there to? (I don't mean play for real -- just hit "End Turn" a bunch of times, or just use one of those perpetual-motion birds like Homer Simpson once did to peck at the keyboard.)

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 20
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 3:03:14 AM   
Klahn

I restarted a bunch of times without closing out the game when it happened to me. (I continually restarted with "no starting legendary units" turned off until it didn't give me any duplicates of legendary units to start the game with.) I can try your suggestion in a little while and see what happens after dinner.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 21
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 3:11:19 AM   
Gil R.

Well, that might be it. We're not going to be able to fix this in time for the patch, since it would take a few days to pin it down. It would be helpful if you would pay attention to how you start games and whether it happens to games started just after loading the game.

Regarding those double-LU's, Eric thinks he fixed it this afternoon.

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 22
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 4:55:31 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryvan

I restarted a bunch of times without closing out the game when it happened to me. (I continually restarted with "no starting legendary units" turned off until it didn't give me any duplicates of legendary units to start the game with.) I can try your suggestion in a little while and see what happens after dinner.

I noted in another thread that restarting without closing out the game has a rather large internal memory leak, see:

end reply of: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=1446232

This may possibly be what caused his BIOs to get scrambled. On a positive note, if you close out and restart the program, which frees up the system resources, it generally loads much faster than the first time around.

< Message edited by Gray_Lensman -- 5/17/2007 4:59:48 AM >

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 23
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 6:37:42 AM   
Klahn

I did some experimenting and can't seem to reproduce the bug. I'll keep my eyes peeled if I find it again though.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 24
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/17/2007 7:33:07 PM   
Gil R.

Thanks. Let's keep watching this. In fact, it happened to me for the first time the other night, but that was when I kept restarting games, so maybe that was the reason.

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 25
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/18/2007 9:49:31 PM   
MarcusCSA

Happened to me too, some rather sharp looking CSA general (Davis... something like that) guy got some Hungarian Union general's bio... nothing game breaking, but still quite annoying, he showed up after a few turns and was the first one with a wrong bio, no manic resetting on my games, so that might not be what you're looking for.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 26
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/19/2007 12:44:58 AM   
Gil R.

Were you also playing a July scenario? And also using any of the randomized options that relate to generals?

It looks like I'm going to have to spend some time pinning this down, since if it's not related to starting/loading games repeatedly it might be linked to one of the options.

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 27
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/19/2007 12:47:00 AM   
Gil R.

So here's a question -- has anyone ever noticed a general starting with the right bio and then having it replaced with another, or is it always that generals come into the game with the wrong bio?

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 28
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/19/2007 8:01:44 AM   
Diggypiggy

I noticed it on the first turn when I was trying to create the problem, But I was only able to do it once and I was restarting the game without exiting. I really thought we might have been on to something but I guess MarcusCSA has proven us wrong.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 29
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/20/2007 2:12:15 AM   
MarcusCSA

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

So here's a question -- has anyone ever noticed a general starting with the right bio and then having it replaced with another, or is it always that generals come into the game with the wrong bio?

To clarify, the general with the wrong bio starts off with the wrong bio straight away (when generated a few turns into the game), but the two (now) guys that have had the wrong bio were generated later in the game. Correction on my above post, my 'wrong bio guy' isn't named Davis, but Clarke (and I can't remember who nr. 2 is, can look it up if really needed). Unit bio's seem to work fine.

This is in the Summer 1861 (lack of forts, help!) scenario. I played a full November campaign on the latest patch, and never had this problem.

No need to panic though, the Union has already been crushed and here come the Ironclads!

Did I mention that I really love this game and want to marry it? Keep up the good work guys!

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> Generals not matching their Bios Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI