Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Generals not matching their Bios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> RE: Generals not matching their Bios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/20/2007 2:16:52 AM   
Gil R.

Yikes! You're already talking marriage? At most, you've known this game for a little over five months. Don't you think you should slow things down a bit?

Thanks for the further info on generals. It would be helpful for people to let me know both the names of generals and whose bios they got, since maybe there's a pattern, such as Gen. X always getting the bio of Gen. X+20. Info like that could help.

The Legendary Units aren't relevant to this issue. Different file, different code, etc.

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 31
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/20/2007 4:16:48 AM   
Diggypiggy

The two time I noticed it were both early in the game and I remember the Generals were giving the same wrong bio in both games. Check out my saved game I submitted near the beginning of this thread.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 32
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/21/2007 2:28:39 AM   
ericbabe

I actually don't see any incorrect bios when loading Diggypiggy's save file.  Further digging into the internals of the data structures shows that all biographies seem to be in the right spot.  Did you load the save file from the main menu or from within the game?

(in reply to MarcusCSA)
Post #: 33
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/21/2007 2:39:41 AM   
ericbabe

On further inspection, although I still am not able to duplicate this issue with this save file, I do see something that might be causing this problem in some situations.  I'll try a fix for this and we'll see whether it helps in the next build.

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 34
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/21/2007 8:33:01 AM   
Klahn

Out of curiosity, I've also posted my save file earlier in this thread. Did you see it in mine?

(in reply to ericbabe)
Post #: 35
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/21/2007 8:50:40 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ryvan

Out of curiosity, I've also posted my save file earlier in this thread. Did you see it in mine?

Ryvan, I just downloaded and loaded up your save file, but could not find any incorrect "Bios". If you can, tell me which ones you had that were switched/incorrect.

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 36
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/21/2007 5:55:47 PM   
Gray_Lensman

OK, I loaded Ryvan's save file, and even though he observes "all" of his Bios are incorrect, none of them are incorrect when I load his save file, which leads me to believe even more that this has something to do with his specific machine resources getting "buggy", instead of an error within the game, possibly caused by running out of memory when restarting within the game. Even the latest test beta still has this memory resource "growth" when restarting the scenario without exiting the game.

I could not duplicate these incorrect Bios specifically, using Ryvan's file, even by forcing my memory over the top so to speak,with internal reloads, so my conclusion for now is that when you reach the top of memory while running this program, it tends to cause "random" buggy behavior, which is to be expected in that situation, virual memory is a tricky thing when you get into that realm. It may help for Eric to find and get rid of the memory growth problem to mitigate the situation.

It might be asked of anyone who experiences incorrect Bios, to report the status of their game memory at the time, if they know how. It can be easily checked (in XP) by windowing out of the game, then <ctrl> <alt> <Del>. The windows task manager box that pops up will have some tabs across the top, and "performance" is the one to look at here. Check the lower green box labeled "PF Usage". If the number within, is near the top end of your known internal RAM memory capacity, then you have either reloaded the game internally, several times, or if not, in the case of 1Gb machines, you just need more RAM memory to start with.

FoF straight off, loads up in my machines, (I have 2, one a laptop), at around 1.04 Gb, before even starting to play. After reloading within the game several times, I find that I am approaching my laptop's top end of 1.5 Gb, and I too observe strange things happening. This by the way, happens with most games, and is a signal to buy some more memory resources when feasible. I would not be surprised at all to hear that most of the problems with incorrect Bios are from players with 1 Gb Ram, as they will hit their "top" end very quickly.

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 37
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 2:26:39 AM   
Klahn

I have the incorrect bios as soon as i load the game from the file I posted here. My machine has 2GB of RAM. When I start a new game, the bios are correct. Quite strange....

(in reply to Gray_Lensman)
Post #: 38
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 2:30:03 AM   
Gil R.

In one of the sets of files I loaded -- I forget whose -- I did indeed see the wrong bios.

Eric thinks he may have fixed this, and since any day now he'll be posting a third public beta patch for a quick (one or two days) public testing we should see if that's indeed the case.

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 39
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 2:36:48 AM   
Klahn

Just for the record because it was asked earlier, here are the generals I have with bios (on the left) and whose bio it links to (on the right)

Banks = Hill
Thomas = Polignac
Wright = Shelley
Wade = Robertson
Sherman = Taliaferro
Butler = Shelby
Meade = Chesnut

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 40
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 2:45:42 AM   
Gil R.

Thanks. It's sort of odd to me that we don't even have bios for some of those generals. But I guess it shouldn't be too odd.

(in reply to Klahn)
Post #: 41
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 3:08:52 AM   
Diggypiggy

I can't be 100% sure on this but I think my list of matches generals-bios were the same as Ryvans. I definitely remember Butler=Shelby anyway. Edit: I have 1.5 GB in my machine, although I do have lots of stuff running sometimes, AV, Firewall etc.

< Message edited by Diggypiggy -- 5/22/2007 3:12:10 AM >

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 42
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 5:21:42 AM   
Gil R.

I don't think it's going to be the amount of RAM a system has that's causing this. Just my hunch.

(in reply to Diggypiggy)
Post #: 43
RE: Generals not matching their Bios - 5/22/2007 6:32:15 AM   
Gray_Lensman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gil R.

I don't think it's going to be the amount of RAM a system has that's causing this. Just my hunch.

I think I will have to agree with you after my competing version test results.

(in reply to Gil R.)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Forge of Freedom: The American Civil War 1861-1865 >> Public Beta Feedback >> RE: Generals not matching their Bios Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI