Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Good first step?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Good first step? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Good first step? - 5/23/2007 4:14:04 AM   
bruce205

Hello there
What scenario would you suggest for a newbie to start with? I went through the tutorial some months ago and while it was informative I was nevertheless overwhelmed !! So scared I left for other games, until I was reading your fine forum and the enthusiam you guys have for the game. Thought I should put more effort into it.
Thanks for any help.
Post #: 1
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 4:16:34 AM   
RUPD3658

Play scn 15 for about a month, make a ton of mistakes, then pick a scenario to play for real. Playing is the best way to learn.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to bruce205)
Post #: 2
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 4:39:06 AM   
bruce205

Thanks RUPD, what are the details of that scenario? Setting,number of turns,etc?

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 3
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 5:44:19 AM   
Gem35

Play that scenario as the Allies. Set to one day turns historical settings. For the first few months you will get pounded, but you have so much at the start it won't matter. Just concentrate on game mechanics like how to figure out load costs for your land units, how to upgrade your bases, the supplies needed and proper aviation support to allow your aircraft to perform missions. You will also need a plan to keep your forward bases supplied with Fuel and Supplies. Think defense first and take your time, have fun.

It doesn't make any sense, Admiral. Were we better than the Japanese or just luckier?

Banner By Feurer Krieg

(in reply to bruce205)
Post #: 4
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:11:25 AM   
Jam_USMC

While researching what game I was going to buy next, I read a review of WITP. It said that the more time and effort you invest into it, the more you will enjoy it. That sold me. So now, about a month later, I am still learning. Even more so since I came to this forum. And the more I learn about the game the more the more interesting it becomes and the more I enjoy it. Though the advice about investing t-i-m-e is no joke. So stick with it and listen to those guys with all the pretty gold stars. Its worth it. BTW, has anyone seen my wife?

"Before we're through with 'em, the AI language will be spoken only in Hell!"

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 5
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:12:19 AM   
Jam_USMC

Left myself wide open with that last line didn't I?

"Before we're through with 'em, the AI language will be spoken only in Hell!"

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 6
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:18:33 AM   
rockmedic109

Yep.  Jump right in.  Make a ton of mistakes and learn from them.  Learning from the Allies is easier.  They get more than enough supply and you do not have to worry much about the production as it is mostly handled for you.  The allies have a gentler learning curve as they are more tolerant of mistakes {loosing 50,000 supply and seven or eight AKs is a drop in the bucket.  If you loose a carrier, you get a new one with the same name in a year and a half}.

After a month of game time, you'll have learned the basics of the game system.  You'll also have learned your way around the map, knowing what is where and how to give your orders during your turn without forgetting a major portion of the map.  More importantly, you'll have learned not to be overwhelmed by the vastness of the map and worry about missing something. 

And if you do miss something, just remember that IRL, the Navy missed the Indianapolis for several days.

< Message edited by rockmedic109 -- 5/23/2007 7:19:05 AM >

(in reply to Gem35)
Post #: 7
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:20:48 AM   
rockmedic109

Yeah. She ran off with mine.

(in reply to Jam_USMC)
Post #: 8
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 12:17:14 PM   
Arkady

quote:

ORIGINAL: rockmedic109

Yeah. She ran off with mine.

Indy ?

(in reply to rockmedic109)
Post #: 9
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 12:24:33 PM   
ny59giants

WitP can and will become an "evil mistress."

However, she will not cost $$$ you as much as a real one.

(in reply to Arkady)
Post #: 10
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 1:30:01 PM   
rockmedic109

I got lucky in that my wife makes more than I do and can support not only herself, but me and my habit as well.

And I get to bring my laptop to work and play while getting paid....as long as nobody calls 911.

(in reply to ny59giants)
Post #: 11
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 3:29:49 PM   
RUPD3658

quote:

I got lucky in that my wife makes more than I do and can support not only herself, but me and my habit as well.

And I get to bring my laptop to work and play while getting paid....as long as nobody calls 911.

You can give orders between breaths and compressions.

I can see it now:

Patient: "But I am bleeding!"

Rockmedic: "Oh yeah, well my carriers are getting attacked. We all got our problems pal"

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

Post #: 12
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 6:46:29 PM   
stretch

i jumpes into the big one knowing nothing.. and still won the war way ahead of historical.

it feels so hollow when the Jap AI runs its CV's into massive LBA...

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 13
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:18:34 PM   
rockmedic109

Try PBEM. Or set up a few house rules that limit yourself.

Setting your LBA to higher altitude will lower their success rate against ships. Keep from using the supply runs to your own base to train up the bomber crews.

Limit your B-17/24/29s to strategic strikes except in defense of crucial areas {Pearl, Australia, etc.

Allies should still win, but the journey should be more fun.

(in reply to stretch)
Post #: 14
RE: Good first step? - 5/23/2007 7:22:06 PM   
rockmedic109

quote:

ORIGINAL: RUPD3658

quote:

You can give orders between breaths and compressions.

I can see it now:

Patient: "But I am bleeding!"

Rockmedic: "Oh yeah, well my carriers are getting attacked. We all got our problems pal"

Why should anybody worry about bleeding. All bleeding stops eventually.

My only concern on bleeding is how much of a mess it's going to make {less mess means I can get back to my game faster} and how I can manipulate the situation so that my partner cleans it up.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 15
RE: Good first step? - 5/26/2007 3:57:02 AM   
bruce205

Big thanks to everyone!
Sorry for the lack of response as real life tends to intrude on the fun part of life. I did the tutorial once a while ago but will go through it again and will go through the whole manual.
Funny thing is, I just got my great uncles Blue Jacket manual dated 1940 from my mom when she cleaned out the attic and it is really neat. I was in in the US Navy myself on the USS Nimitz from 84 to 88.
This game is massive and I feel so overwhelmed but nothing is impossible... right?

Post #: 16
RE: Good first step? - 5/26/2007 5:21:37 AM   
dtravel

quote:

ORIGINAL: bruce205

Hello there
What scenario would you suggest for a newbie to start with? I went through the tutorial some months ago and while it was informative I was nevertheless overwhelmed !! So scared I left for other games, until I was reading your fine forum and the enthusiam you guys have for the game. Thought I should put more effort into it.
Thanks for any help.

Play Scenario 15 (the "full war" one) as the Allies against the AI, difficulty level "historical". Do not restart, live with your mistakes, learn on the job (just like the real commanders had to). After that, repeat at difficulty level "hard".

< Message edited by dtravel -- 5/26/2007 5:24:24 AM >

This game does not have a learning curve. It has a learning cliff.

"Bomb early, bomb often, bomb everything." - Niceguy

Any bugs I report are always straight stock games.

(in reply to bruce205)
Post #: 17
RE: Good first step? - 5/26/2007 2:10:19 PM   
spence

Play Scen 2 (Rising Sun) - first 100 days limited to Philippines, Malaya and Dutch Indies as Allies - not so many units to manage - against AI it's possible to win on points and you can get the game completed in a single lifetime and get some feel for how well you're playing - then try it as the Japanese and see how fast you can take the DEI and how low you can keep your loses (you will win regardless) - good practice on coordinating forces for amphib ops

(in reply to dtravel)
Post #: 18
RE: Good first step? - 5/26/2007 8:44:24 PM   
Yamato hugger

The bigger scenarios are a bit intimidating at first. The trick is how you handle it. Break it down into smaller areas. Take them 1 at a time. A "typical" allied turn 1 in scenario 16 for me goes like this:

1) I click the map on the top row of icons. I shut everything off. I turn on friendly TFs so I can see where they are on the map. I go to each one and set their course for where I want them to go. I do all these TFs before I move on.

2) I start at Pearl and cycle through the bases 1 by 1. At Pearl, I set up 2 ASW TFs and send them to hexes nearby to hunt Jap subs. I set up a DML TF to go to mine Johnson, Midway, or Palmarya. I set up a transport TF to carry the 25th division to Canton. Send subs out. Assign aircraft missions. Ect. I usually leave the damaged ships in port a few days and make sure the KB is away before I send them out. They wont last long if caught at sea.

2) Cycle through the bases using the arrow button near the base name. When you come to a base with aircraft or ships in port you decide what you want to do with those ships and or planes and do it. Small pieces. Make global decisions (I want to assemble all my naval air at this point, I want to assemble my army air here, I want ground troops to defend here and here and here) beforehand, then based on your over all global strategy, make individual decisions base by base.

It takes me about 12 hours to do the first turn. After that turns take about 30 to 45 mins.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 19
RE: Good first step? - 5/27/2007 3:13:18 PM   
rockmedic109

Yamato hugger has it right.  You need to figure out a system to do your turn so you do not miss something.  You will, but if you pick it up in the next day, you usually haven't lost much.  I use a geographical approach, moving in the same pattern as I set my orders.

I also keep a 2x3 notepad nearby and make notes about things I see during the turn replay.  I use these notes to locate and stop problems that have come up....or just remember to put those B-24s that bombed Tavoy at max range back on stand down so they don't fly two days in a row and loose half the group to crew fatigue.

(in reply to Yamato hugger)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Good first step? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI