Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

PT Boats

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> PT Boats Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PT Boats - 5/25/2007 5:41:40 AM   
montesaurus

Whats the best way to deal with PT boats. I had one recent battle where my capital ships received several torpedo hits without any damage to the PT boats. Not a very good trade off!
Is there a way to set up your surface fleets to deal with them efficiently, or are planes better to use? If planes are the way to go how do you direct them so as they will attack PT boats?

montesaurus
French Player in Going Again II 1792
Post #: 1
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 6:07:17 AM   
Mynok

Destroyers. Lots of them. Add some CLs. They will kill them.

Of course....there is no end to the PT boat supply.

(in reply to montesaurus)
Post #: 2
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 6:10:41 AM   
dan frick

Fighters, set them to Naval attack, and altitude 100. Also your fighters will gain experience.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 3
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 6:25:02 AM   
RUPD3658

Not worth the OPs /Flak losses. Stick with DD/CL raids

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limits"- Darwin Awards 2003

"No plan survives contact with the enemy." - Field Marshall Helmuth von Moltke

(in reply to dan frick)
Post #: 4
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 7:26:20 AM   
Yamato hugger

I have several TFs (6 to be exact) made of of 2 CLs and 5 Kamikaze class DDs (Kamikaze class meaning all the other classes that are all 12AA and 0 ASW DDS. There are 31 total of these DDs) that I use for quick bombardments, fast transports, and dealing with PTs.

(in reply to RUPD3658)
Post #: 5
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 2:05:49 PM   
rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: dan frick

Fighters, set them to Naval attack, and altitude 100. Also your fighters will gain experience.

Alas, this can SOMETIMES provoke the Sync Bug - caveat emptor!!

(in reply to dan frick)
Post #: 6
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 2:21:03 PM   
Terminus

In fact, it seems to be one of the sure-fire ways to do it. Of course, this is only a problem in PBEM's...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 7
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 2:36:20 PM   
Anthropoid

Here is a related question that I hope you'll indulge me in asking here (in the wrong place), as I did not see a place to ask it over in the War Plan Orange forums and Tankerace has yet to get back to me . . .

IIRC (and do not have WiTP installed at present), to generate PT Boats in WiTP, you need at least 20,000 supply in cargo ships in a port that is in excess of a particular size. Maybe any size? This is supposed to active the "Create PT Boats" option in the lower right of the base screen, right? I've never actually done this (never understood what PT boats were for until someone on here clarified it for me).

I'm playing an SP game of War Plan Orange (1926-1930 Super Dreadnought scenario against a Japanese AI). I've got about 38,000 supply at Pearl which in this scenario in 1926 is size (5) Port. I've got four AKs with 5,000 supply in them each floating there, and still no create PT options. Even when I disband the AKs still no create PT option. Am I doing this wrong, or is it possible they got create PT boats turned off in WPO?

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 8
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 2:39:03 PM   
Terminus

No PT boats in WPO.

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 9
RE: PT Boats - 5/25/2007 3:02:15 PM   
Anthropoid

That changes things doesn't it  Without PT boats, night bombardment missions take on a whole new fiercesomeness don't they!

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 10
RE: PT Boats - 5/26/2007 7:03:25 AM   
KPAX

Anyone know what the rate of PTs boats is ?

It is June 1942 and I have not seen any show up on the replacement screen.  Is there a place where the rate of build is located ?

"War makes Heros on both sides." Hero (the movie)

Thanks !!

KPAX

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 11
RE: PT Boats - 5/26/2007 5:52:20 PM   
moses

Jwilkerson has made short work of my PT's all game. The key is to use surface combat TF's and have them arrive in the hex during the day so that the fights are mostly at long range. He has done this all game and I don't think he has taken a single hit from my PT's.

Other types of TF missions seem to do poorly against PT's. I think they should. Players who are in a hurry to bombard contested bases often get what they deserve.

(in reply to KPAX)
Post #: 12
RE: PT Boats - 5/26/2007 6:25:48 PM   
saj42

Before Oct 42 you only get a few. From then on its roughly 12 per month, but it does fluctuate (this is stock scen 15). The info ican be found by using the 'database editor' - it's not shown 'in game'.

quote:

ORIGINAL: KPAX

Anyone know what the rate of PTs boats is ?

It is June 1942 and I have not seen any show up on the replacement screen.  Is there a place where the rate of build is located ?

Banner by rogueusmc

(in reply to KPAX)
Post #: 13
RE: PT Boats - 5/26/2007 10:09:11 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: moses

Jwilkerson has made short work of my PT's all game. The key is to use surface combat TF's and have them arrive in the hex during the day so that the fights are mostly at long range. He has done this all game and I don't think he has taken a single hit from my PT's.

Other types of TF missions seem to do poorly against PT's. I think they should. Players who are in a hurry to bombard contested bases often get what they deserve.

Yeah, Joe is expert at timing the arrival of his surface TF's. He's kicked my butt thoroughly at WPO using this tactic...

(in reply to moses)
Post #: 14
RE: PT Boats - 5/27/2007 6:28:03 AM   
Mynok

As I said...Surface TFs with lots of DDs and some CLs will make short work of PTs......for a time.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> The War Room >> PT Boats Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI