Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

ammy draft players too good?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> ammy draft players too good? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
ammy draft players too good? - 5/25/2007 11:18:57 PM   
ebeezy

Anyone else have this problem? My ammy draft has guys going from the #1 pick to #1 starter instantly. Is there an option to change this?
Post #: 1
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 12:00:21 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I know that there is an area in the user.xml where you can adjust the range used to generate amateur players' ratings. I regret that I cannot tell you where it is or how to find it, but I know for a fact that it's there.

I haven't spotted this as a problem just yet. I've seen a fair number of ammy players that go right into the majors, no minor time, but I do not recall any of them taking the 1st starter slot or getting dropped in as the clean-up hitter. I have seen many cases, and I have one in my minors, where the ammy player does really well and came with really good ratings and is likely to get promoted to the majors in their second year. For example, this is my young pitching prospect:

With numbers like that, he is SO going to the majors next year.

Anyway, of the 5 guys I signed in the draft, he's the only one ready to go up. The others will need at least 1 or 2 more years before being even considered.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 5/26/2007 12:01:26 AM >

"It ain't braggin' if you can do it."

-Hall of Fame pitcher Jerome 'Dizzy' Dean

(in reply to ebeezy)
Post #: 2
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 12:32:51 AM   
ebeezy

Here's my guy. #1 overall for 2009 and now he's the #1 starter for the Padres. Granted the Padres were the worst team in baseball, but the kid's pretty damn good. I never messed with the user.xml and I have my hesitations after messing around with the pb.ini for FPS BBPro 98. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Frozen Stiffer)
Post #: 3
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 12:33:25 AM   
ebeezy

Here's his player card ... Note that he was called up and drafted on the same day.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ebeezy -- 5/26/2007 12:34:06 AM >

(in reply to ebeezy)
Post #: 4
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 12:45:58 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

I must be honest... with numbers like that, I too would have strongly considered bringing him up. Still, as an unproven pitcher, he would have been my #5 at best, a Long Relief Pitcher/Spot Starter most likely.

You don't get a newly-generated amateur with 80's in Stuff and 90's in Control every day...

Perhaps you should take a look at the XML file after all. (and it's the puresim.xml file, not the user.xml file-- sorry about that). Make a backup copy, in case you mess everything up, and then open it with Notepad. I searched for "Player Generation" and found the following:

"There are basically 5 classes of players than can be generated in PureSim
1. Standard, fictional, major-league quality players
2. Young players to fill the minors (your future stars)
3. Scrubs - Very avg to below avg players that likely never make it out of the minors, but there are exceptions!
4. Super Scrubs - These guys are awful, but important because they can be used to fill out a roster when a team is in a financial pinch
5. Real Players - Players generated by basing their characteristics on real players imported from the Lahman database
"

It looks to me as if your Gene Kidwell and my Jeff Cirrus are Super Scrubs or the major-league quality sorts...

< Message edited by Frozen Stiffer -- 5/26/2007 12:47:53 AM >

(in reply to ebeezy)
Post #: 5
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 2:32:24 AM   
ebeezy

excellent Mr. Frozen (or Mr. Stiffer)  ... I'm definately gonna mess around with this.  This is why I love/hate (more love mind you) PureSim and the earlier FPS 98.  There's so much you can customize and so little time.

Well I think I found out how to make the younger generated players worse initial ratings ... Please let me know if I'm wrong

--> f(clea  <INFLUENCE_POWER RangeMin="0" RangeMax="21">.96</INFLUENCE_POWER>

So the Power rating of players 0-21 is .96*default ... right?  I just have to lower that to say, .90 or .85.

My concern is that the rate that these guys improve will not be good enough to get them to their major league level at a age around 25.  I don't see any algorithms that handle player growth by potential.  If there is none, I can always increase the potentials of those ages ...

<INFLUENCE_POTENTIAL_HITTERS RangeMin="0" RangeMax="21">1</INFLUENCE_POTENTIAL_HITTERS> 

instead of 1 maybe 1.10 or 1.15.

It's worth a shot.  Anyone else have any insights or comments?

Post #: 6
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 3:56:37 AM   
Frozen Stiffer

In one of these cases, I got the better of the computer (and I almost forgot all about this if it weren't for the fact that he just came up in the rotation to start a game). One of the other pitchers I had received in the ammy draft had GREAT numbers (though still not as great as your Kidwell. So, what I did was simply slap a picture, a name and some vital stats (weight, height, etc.) and TA-DA we have Chris Volstad! He was in AAA for a short while and after going 4-1 with a 2.96 ERA I made the call. Since then, he's been a GREAT 5th starter.

Observe!

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ebeezy)
Post #: 7
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 10:26:19 AM   
ebeezy

Wow. Thing with Volstad is that he's putting up damn good numbers too in the majors. Kidwell isn't doing too hot.

Post #: 8
RE: ammy draft players too good? - 5/26/2007 12:41:09 PM   
Frozen Stiffer

Hmmm.... yes, good point. I noticed that with the 2-7 record. However, the 4.14 ERA isn't really all that bad. Check a look to see how much run support he's had. If he's pitching decently and the offense just can't get things going, he's going to lose games.

(in reply to ebeezy)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Sports] >> PureSim Baseball >> ammy draft players too good? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI